420 HerbFarma Moby Dick Grow - First Journal

Hey Shaggie been reading through some of your journals and at the end of one you made some canna-oil with just 1/4 ounce. What kind of oil did u use? I keep trying to make edibles but they don't seem to take effect :S I must be doing it wrong

Re: 420 HerbFarma Moby Dick Grow - First Journal & Grow Help Required

MDVL uses the leaves and simmers them for about 2 hrs, placing a couple pounds butter into the mix as well. She lets it cool a bit, then strains it through cheese cloth. Place it in the refrigirator for a few hours until it cools and hardens. When the butter hardens, break it out in pieces and use it just like you would normal. Some recipes for brownies use butter, and those work the best. One in particular has cookie dough in it, and requires twice as much butter. It works excellant. I think she uses 5 lbs of butter to one large pan of leaves(usually 2-3 plants) including the small popcorn buds.

i use Coconut oil due to the natural Cannabinoid levels,
i also do it in a double boiler for around 6 hrs, i have noticed that the longer i slow cook it the better it works for my muscle spasms. i beleive this is because it takes longer for the other canabinoids like CBD,CDN, CBG to break down and combine with the oil.
ive gotten it down to the point that i canot make full strength batches any more unless its my whole wheat bread.
i need to revive the recipies thread and put more of them up for every one, im working getting the MMED business license and than it will be in the stores here in CO! from what i can tell "Simply Pure" is the only company that makes stuff the way i do.
all in the works

Funny thing I grew up in d Caribbean and we loved to cook with coconut oil. Never tried canna-oil that way but I shall. Tanx for the heads up

I have a question for any of you experts listening. Would a plant that has been lst'ed to produce several bud sites yield a less potent marijuana than one that has been pruned to produce just a few but very large buds given both were the same strain and both indoors in similar environments?
Also would you deem CO2 enrichment as integral for a personal grower whose interested in producing potency first over yield?

I'd appreciate any insight you have to offer me

I have a question for any of you experts listening. Would a plant that has been lst'ed to produce several bud sites yield a less potent marijuana than one that has been pruned to produce just a few but very large buds given both were the same strain and both indoors in similar environments?
Also would you deem CO2 enrichment as integral for a personal grower whose interested in producing potency first over yield?

I'd appreciate any insight you have to offer me

Hey HerbFarma!
Good questions. I'm in no way an 'expert', but I'll throw in my .02 on the subject...
As far as there being a potency difference between a LST'd plant compared to a topped or FIM'd plant...I'd generally think that each of the methods wouldn't have any real advantage over eachother as far as flower potency goes. These methods are are used to control the plant's height and stimulate the lower branch growth and bring the would-be lower bud sites up to the top of the canopy to receive more light. The more light they receive, the more potent the buds are going be.
Also, co2 adds a great boost to your plants. I'm not sure, but I think that the greatest advantage of co2 can be seen during the vegetative stage in terms of speed of growth. There may be a significant advantage to using co2 during 12/12 that effects potency, by I haven't really done too much experimentation to have a good answer for you. I am interested to see what the other folks that use co2 have to say on the subject.

Anyway....:thumb:

I don't think LST has any effect on potency, just encourages more, smaller buds, limits height, opens canopy if using smaller lights. The CO2 helps the plants grow bigger/faster--buds included. I've seen 25% increase in harvest easily. Potency is based on the genetics first and foremost. Haven't done any testing for potency side by side, the extra quantity (over a slight potency increase) would easily justify it.

Thanks for all the insight. Researching more and more everyday.
here is an update on the ladies guys
now With Moby Dick #1 we are seeing yellow splotches at the tips of a pair of leaves and a brown area on one of the larger leaves. i figured it might be the light was too close. none of the other ladies are showing any signs. i moved them farther from the light and gave them some water caz they were dry. i hope this isnt sometin serious like mites or other pests. wind is constantly blowing on them. i would be surprised if it was pests. im surprised at how well the constant breeze works. my oldest ladies have stems as strong as toothpicks i tell ya! Temps have been up as of recently because of the warm and windless weather. around 88 F high in the cab. its always better at nights ( run 24/0) with temps around 74-78 F.i hope it bounces back. im working on an aircooled hood for my size tent and am hoping to get it in a couple weeks.for now im looking at alternatives to keeping the tent cool! Cheap ones! lol anyways without further delay
here is Moby dick number 1
009424.jpg
010396.jpg
011347.jpg

these are of the healthier moby dick number 2
012291.jpg
013287.jpg
014263.jpg

here is great white number one
015241.jpg
016212.jpg

Great White Number 2
017192.jpg
018179.jpg

Great White Number 3
019154.jpg
020149.jpg

All the great whites are growing some massive first set of leaves. the leaves dwarf the ones on my oldest.like huge super sun panels. haha
keep smokin guys
....its weird how so many people fight the herb and dont really know why. they jus do because of how they were raised and our messed up society. Alcohol gets a jail free card but that ever harmless cannabis plant is shunned and burned. Studies showing its slowing and even curing cancer amongst an unbelievable multitude of other maladies. no alcohol or other of those hard drugs grouped with marijuana can be as helpful while still being quite harmless. ( i mean correct me if i am wrong but isnt it impossible to overdose on thc and marijuana. u would likely pass out from all the carbon monoxide from burning the material first before thc or other cannabinoids reach any level that could be perceived as toxic. is there even a such a thing as a toxic level of marijuana? doubt it...but please fill me in if u know)
If i owned a farm id have fields of it...no denying i fell in love with growing lol.

sorry the pics arent that great but it is the best for now. to help clear up the first three pics
in the first picture and second picture i am showing you guys the yellow spots on the leaf. they are shallow and concave when looking from above. ( fingers crossed again hoping its not serious). they are located close to the tips of the leaves and are not on the topmost set of leaves neither on the oldest set of leaves....( what could it be :S)
in the third picture go to where u see my finger. move down till u see the stem then look to the right about an inch away. you will see a brown area. this could be my fault tho because yesterday i thought i saw somthing brown sitting on the leaf and i had begun kinda picking at it and scratching it gently with my fingernail to see if it would come off. it didnt and after a while i thought maybe i made a mistake..... now am left wondering if the brown speck i saw yesterday was the beginning of this problem or was it my incessant picking....

Almost looks like a water drop that burned the leaf? Didn't you get told not to pick/scratch at stuff--usually makes it worse.....big grin. Are you spraying anything when they are hot/lights on, can burn leaves.

Well come to think of it u could be right. The spot could be because I moved d light closer I had previously watered them... Rookie error... Hopefully it jus that

hey watsup guys? im back with an update on the ladies.have gotten everyone transplanted into larger containers successfully. the great whites may possibly be moved into larger containers after sexing. so here they are...
this is moby dick #1. the third picture is of its first set of leaves. it is has two spots on it. one light brown and the other dark. the first set of leaves on boht my moby dick are becoming yellowish also. do you think that now that ive transplanted them and they have a fresh supply of nutrients they will be fine?
001625.jpg
002667.jpg
003632.jpg

this is Moby dick #2 really healthy besides the yelowing first set of leaves.( the remainder of growth on both seem very green and healthy. everyone seems to have really grown since the transplant
005568.jpg
004599.jpg

this is greath white #1 and #2 top and side respectively X2
006496.jpg
007497.jpg
008461.jpg
009426.jpg

this is the runt Great White #3 making some big improvements
010398.jpg
011348.jpg

its really warm now in the summer and everyday i take them out of the tent and let them sit by a window for some good old fashion sun rays. the tent may get up to 92 F!!! during the day but the room where they get sunlight stays in the 80's. im thinking of getting a air cooled hood and seperate fan for it. also was wondering if it is a good idea to hook up your tent exhaust to your intake. that way any co2 added could be recycled throughout a period of time. with this is mind the room should be replenished with fresh air too after some time too...just an idea. any input would be great

If your tent is getting up to 92F I'd consider (if only temporarily) putting that AC in there to keep it cooler for your ladies or adding a few more fans (or both) until things cool down for ya. My rule of thumb is that if it's not comfortable for you in the grow space then it's probably not comfortable for them. ;)

Great looking plants dude, I look forward to seeing how things go with your grow. :thumb:

Tanks for the input n0ctem. It's great you are along for the ride. I will figure somtin out to get in the tent cool. At night it's pretty good but during the days are killer.

Hey there guys. Been experiencing some really warm weather that has to some extent stressed the plants im sure. but i have promptly moved them to a cooler area and have temps more under control and the new growth is supporting that. every plant has sported some stretching in due to me keeping the light so far because of heat issues. the temps are normally 82-85F during the day and as night comes along it may drop to 78-81F. RH stays relatively in the low 50's or upper 40 percentile.everyone has took to their transfer pretty well and seem much happier under the 400w MH with cooler temps. I also gave everyone a quarter strength feeding of cal mag two days ago.
so without further stalling here we go
this is Moby Dick #1. the yellowing and browning in the first set of leaves have slowed to a stop and some green has returned. the top growth is all green and healthy. since the training there are definite signs of side branching. this is the smaller of my two moby dick plants
002670.jpg

003636.jpg
004603.jpg

this is Moby Dick #2. she has larger leaves and seems healthier than #1.the browning in her first set of leaves is much less and her yellowing has all but totally ceased. she is also showing side branching and seems to be taking well to the lst(i think)
005574.jpg
006498.jpg
007501.jpg

Here is Great White #1. Overrall growth seems really healthy and side branches are also popping out but she has some issue with the leaves which could be one of two things i think. either its some reaction to heat stress or the water droplet light prism effect. (W.D.L.P.E)lol Anyways the leaves affected are dry and crumple and flake away when touched. can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?
008464.jpg
009429.jpg
010400.jpg
011351.jpg

this is Great White #2. Probably has the sickest looking first set of leaves of everyone. the yellowing starts at the edges and progresses inwards browning towards the middle. (just on one side tho)as you can see . the other leaf just dried up suddenly and easily crumpled between my finger. on this plant the yellowing affected a second set of leaves also and there is also some yellow spotting on the other half of the second set of leaves. Side branching is good tho.
012293.jpg
013289.jpg
014264.jpg
015242.jpg
016213.jpg

This is Great White #3. she seems pretty good with no apparent defect in any of her leaves. Also first signs of side branching
018180.jpg
019155.jpg
020150.jpg

I have ordered a cooltube and its looking to be delivered sometime next week hopefully. after hooking that up to my carbon filter and 4 inch exhaust fan i hope to really get my temps dialed in. also might look into a DIY way to add CO2 to the grow area. Really want to hear any and everyones inputs on how i can improve. thanks guys

Funny thing I grew up in d Caribbean and we loved to cook with coconut oil. Never tried canna-oil that way but I shall. Tanx for the heads up

HerbFarma, you're doing great brother - we're all behind you and are here to help with whatever we can :)

Now, as far as coconut oil; it's also a great (and edible) sex lubricant, and also will clean nasty stick resin off any surface - I use it to clean my Model419 stainless steel pipe.

Odd thing is...:)...I've never actually cooked with cocnut oil! :popcorn:

Hey herb sorry ive been absent for a little having a hard time keeping up with all the journals im subbed to lol.... and there is always more coming. your ladys look fine to me. the yellowing/browning that you show looks like its just burn from the leaves drooping in to the dirt/ water when you feed it...... good thing is all your new growth is green and healthy. the single "false" leaves always die fast.
good job on the cal mag. it also might be time to start feeding with nutes. this could also fix the yellowing.

Cool tube... anything to help that heat stay steady will be a good thing
as for having the exhaust go to the intake.... the only way you would want to do this is if u have an inline cooler in between the exhaust and intake. the air has to be cooled down ... now if your air is at a good temp than it is possible

over all the ladys look good brother

So im gonna post some pics of where all the plants are at below. So far i have tried to fim everyone and from what i see it is semi-successful but id rather wait before i make a judgement. I also decided that since i havent obtained my cooltube as yet that i changed the lights from a 24/0 light cycle to a 20/4 light cycle with 4 hours of dark during the hottest time of day. also i dimmed my lights from 400watt to 250+30% watt more metal halide and moved the light much closer to the plants. the 400 watt was putting out more heat that the lil guys could handle and i really think its stunting them.

Here is our six ladies fitting snugly into their home. i was wondering what are your guys' recommendations on when to flip to flowering. my tent is 4.6 feet tall. and i've vegged for a little over a month now on my oldest ladies. would vegging them much longer create uncontrollable giants?
001633.jpg

Moby Dick #1- is looking much healthier and new growth is popping up all over. i am very pleased with lst-ing and i may make that a staple in all my future grows, but hey who knows. it really does help in keeping a flat even canopy. My plants would be close to a foot tall if it wasnt for the lst.
002676.jpg

this is where i performed fim(hopefully i didnt mess it up ???)
003640.jpg

Two consecutive leaves at different levels showing the same distortion. (genetics?)
004606.jpg

Moby Dick #2- has always been ahead of the other moby dick seed. it has very strong growth with larger leaves and a much thicker stem than the other moby dick. it really took to the lst and fim.
here you could really see the lst job
005577.jpg

Some really distorted leaves on some new growth. I had some ph issues and i do believe the subsequent lockouts are to blame. i flushed the soil once and checked the runoff and it returned to the 6.5 range. also the heat. Now with a nicer medium and cooler enviro im hoping to see some heavy healthy growth
006500.jpg
007503.jpg

Great White #1- becoming a very beautiful and healthy plant. very full lush and green. Also loving the lst and new shoots. :)
008466.jpg
009430.jpg

Great White #2 also very lush bushy and strong.
010401.jpg
011352.jpg

Great White #3 is coming along well as well. everyone appreciated the flush and have shown nice new growth
012294.jpg
013290.jpg

Great White #4, one of my buddies ran out of space for an extra seed i gave him. so i decided to take this one back after he saw how vigourously this strain was growing under his cfls ( yikes) lol but i'll happily put her with my ladies
She was also lsted and fimmed.
014266.jpg
015243.jpg

Now here we have some of what me and my buddies have been smoking lately. Its tuna kush. Definitely has that distinct kush odor. more than two bong hits of this stuff leaves me in shambles to put it lightly. hahaha. just two bong hits are perfect. its a dazed fuzzy thought feeling followed soon by a surge of energy then a heavy stoned feeling sets in if im already sitting or lying down. Great smoke i must say.
016216.JPG
017194.JPG
018181.JPG

Thanks for checking in jozo-sha and shaggie!! glad you guys are following along. appreciate and need all the help i could get.

I would veg another week to allow the small shoots to develop a little more. Also make sure that all new growth is happy and no nute issues before flip.

Hey well i am here with yet another update at 32 days Veg.
004607.jpg

Yesterday i decided to clean the entire grow cab after i saw how much dust was accumulating on all the fans. I have been reading alot about controlled release ferts from DocBud and have basically decided to give it a try. I dont have any osmocote + at my disposal but I do have something called Smartcote
013291.jpg
015244.jpg
014267.jpg

I added a full dose to all of my plants after i tested it on my smallest great white plant a couple days before. Overnight all my plants have shown excellent growth. I really think it is the smartcote. I also gave everyone a half strength dose of calmag As usual you guys will be updated n how this goes.
These are the ladies drying off in the breeze after a watering
002677.jpg
003641.jpg

This is Moby Dick #1. the first pic is of the successful topping and the two new strong main shoots. I have done some more extensive lst work on the side branches hoping to fill the entire surface of my pot with shoots before i flip the lights...but we'll see
001634.jpg

005578.jpg
006501.jpg

Moby Dick #2 looking healthier and bushier by the day
007504.jpg

Great White Shark #1
008467.jpg

Great White shark #2
010402.jpg
009431.jpg

Great White Shark #3
011353.jpg

Group Shot
012295.jpg

I am still vegging under a 250 watt mh bulb placed at about 5 inches from the tops of the plants.
Well thats it for now guys. im still toying around with alot of ideas in my head about when ill flip the switch for 12/12 :S....

Back
Top Bottom