A Lovely Lady And A Grumpy Old Man Growing In Newfoundland Fall 2023

Update Day 42

They are growing like the weeds they are! I must be creating the most boring grow journal in history. Nothing exciting is happening other than wonderful growth. Each pot received 5 L of plain water plus Cal-Mag, PH’d to 6.0. PPM came out at 450. Lighting remains the same, moved up a few inches due to the new growth of course, and temp and humidity are similar also after having added in my humidifier. Definitely less humidity in the air these days. The auto flower has just started to throw out a few white pistils so as of today we’re going to say she has started the flowering process. I once again trimmed off a few excess leaves here and there and bent a few branches so they can add strength like a bodybuilder does but there’s not that much more exciting to report here. Progress pics attached. All comments welcome.
:ganjamon:

IMG_4729.jpeg

IMG_4732.jpeg

IMG_4735.jpeg

IMG_4736.jpeg

IMG_4738.jpeg

IMG_4739.jpeg

IMG_4742.jpeg

Haha the most excitement I’ve gotten over my last few grows is when I accidentally break a branch lol.

Mind you I have only ever produced bud I’m unhappy with. They are always too airy and fluffy for my liking. I’m missing a step somewhere. Hopefully increasing light intensity throughout the grow this time will help.

Also, I think on my next grow I’m going to cut back to only 2 plants in my 4x4. This looks like it’s going to get out of hand already and it’s only week 6! Wicked

IMG_1712.jpeg

Haha the most excitement I’ve gotten over my last few grows is when I accidentally break a branch lol.
That's a good sign, to my way of thinking. In my business (software) that's an outcome of "process maturity". That's what I've aimed for in my grow - set things up so I don't have to intervene.

Mind you I have only ever produced bud I’m unhappy with. They are always too airy and fluffy for my liking. I’m missing a step somewhere. Hopefully increasing light intensity throughout the grow this time will help.
Agreed. "not enough light", whatever amount of µmols that really is, causes "scraggly" plants. Perhaps lotsa light will result in more dense buds? Here's to finding out!

Also, I think on my next grow I’m going to cut back to only 2 plants in my 4x4. This looks like it’s going to get out of hand already and it’s only week 6! Wicked
:)

Agreed. It's going to get cozy in there.

Looking great!

Update Day 46

It’s so green and bushy in here! Girls look amazing! And thirsty again. Drinking like mad :thumb:

Some more trimming done, going to start lollipopping the 3 GSC this weekend and seriously thinning them out. The Banner OG photo is doing her thing. She’s so much more gangly and skinny but looking good too.

My Viparspectra KS3000 is doing its thing but it’s really only for a 3x3 tent and I’m using a 4x4. So I’ve decided to add my viparspectra XS2000 to the tent. I set them up side by side for complete coverage. Wall to wall now. Both are hanging at 20” and running 50% strength. Approx 800 PPFD at the top of the canopy.

They each received a feeding of 5 litres of water with Pro-silicate, Cal-Mag, Micro Grow & Bloom along with a teaspoon of KoolBloom. PPM 900 PH 6.0. RH is 45%. Humidifier is having a hard time getting it higher but to be fair it runs out of water after a day or 2 and I’m not always around to fill it right away.

Only 1 pic today. Forgot to take more, duh.
Thanks for looking :ganjamon:

IMG_4793.jpeg

Update Day 46

It’s so green and bushy in here! Girls look amazing! And thirsty again. Drinking like mad :thumb:

Some more trimming done, going to start lollipopping the 3 GSC this weekend and seriously thinning them out. The Banner OG photo is doing her thing. She’s so much more gangly and skinny but looking good too.

My Viparspectra KS3000 is doing its thing but it’s really only for a 3x3 tent and I’m using a 4x4. So I’ve decided to add my viparspectra XS2000 to the tent. I set them up side by side for complete coverage. Wall to wall now. Both are hanging at 20” and running 50% strength. Approx 800 PPFD at the top of the canopy.

They each received a feeding of 5 litres of water with Pro-silicate, Cal-Mag, Micro Grow & Bloom along with a teaspoon of KoolBloom. PPM 900 PH 6.0. RH is 45%. Humidifier is having a hard time getting it higher but to be fair it runs out of water after a day or 2 and I’m not always around to fill it right away.

Only 1 pic today. Forgot to take more, duh.
Thanks for looking :ganjamon:

IMG_4793.jpeg
Looking great!

Now that 420 allows us to attach PDF's (Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!), I've attached a research paper that has given me some insight into cannabis grow lighting. It was worth the slog for me but, in the off chance that you're not enthralled by the details, check the areas that I've highlighted.

The table below is based on the paper. This is the yield curve which is very different than the photosynthesis curve that Bugbee discusses in his videos and which is the center piece of the Chandra paper.

1698188100115.png

When average PPFD was increased form 800 to 900, yield increased 4.3+4.1=8.4%. That's not a huge amount but, $ to 🍩 you're going to get what…400-500 gm from this grow (I'd argue more) so adding another 8% or about 45 gm/1 ½ oz?

Getting the extra weed is good but, for me, 900 and high PPFD's was helpful even if only as part of the learning process.

Why's the RH so low? Though it's been some years, when I was in St Johns, there was quite a bit of water nearby…

Attachments

• Frontiers in Plant Science - Yield, Potency, and Photosynthesis in Increasing Light Levels.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 35
Looking great!

Now that 420 allows us to attach PDF's (Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!), I've attached a research paper that has given me some insight into cannabis grow lighting. It was worth the slog for me but, in the off chance that you're not enthralled by the details, check the areas that I've highlighted.

The table below is based on the paper. This is the yield curve which is very different than the photosynthesis curve that Bugbee discusses in his videos and which is the center piece of the Chandra paper.

1698188100115.png

When average PPFD was increased form 800 to 900, yield increased 4.3+4.1=8.4%. That's not a huge amount but, $ to 🍩 you're going to get what…400-500 gm from this grow (I'd argue more) so adding another 8% or about 45 gm/1 ½ oz?

Getting the extra weed is good but, for me, 900 and high PPFD's was helpful even if only as part of the learning process.

Why's the RH so low? Though it's been some years, when I was in St Johns, there was quite a bit of water nearby…
Awesome thank you. I might dial up the PPFD a bit. Thanks for the info! I grow in my shed and once the summer air disappears it becomes very hard to keep that RH up in my tent around here. And with the exhaust fan running most of the time to help alleviate the smell and exchange air it’s almost impossible to maintain any more than 50% RH in my experience, except in the summer.

Day 52 Update

Girls are looking really good. I’m impressed. So full, lush and green! They were fed again on Saturday. 5 litres each. PPM 700 PH 6.0. Recommended doses of Cal-mag, Micro, Grow & Bloom. Started to seriously trim/lollipop the 3 x GSC. Trimmed off a lot. Dumbass me forgot the take some before pics duh! Here’s some shots of afterwards.

Along with the Banner OG. The Banner is lankier than pervious Banners I’ve grown. But looking good though with lots of pistils.

Thanks to @Delps8 for the PPFD chart and recommendations. I’ve increased the canopy to 1000 PPFD. So far they are drinking in the light with very little burning, if any. The tips are a bit off color on some but that could have been there before turning up the lights. They look good anyway.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_4852.jpeg

IMG_4860.jpeg

IMG_4861.jpeg

IMG_4862.jpeg

IMG_4863.jpeg

IMG_4864.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg

IMG_4866.jpeg

IMG_4867.jpeg

Update Day 56

Same old boring situation here. Girls look great!

They’re each getting 5 litres per watering now and sucking it back in less than 4 days. It’s time to start watering sooner/more often. Going to water every 3-4 days now and see if they can handle it instead of every 4-5 days.

Watered on Wednesday, 5 litres each plain water + Cal-Mag. PPM 195, PH 5.9.

Had to raise the lights a few inches to maintain 12”-16” due to growth. PPFD 1000 at the top of canopy.

Opinions wanted: @Bill284 @Krissi Carbone @Delps8 @InTheShed @Absorber @Ke0ncp @Melville Hobbes @Emilya Green
Tia!

These girls have hit the 8 week mark. They are full, lush and growing quickly. I don’t want the Photo period plants to get overly tall and out grow the tent ceiling so I’d like to flip them to flower soon. But my single Auto period plant has only been in flower for approx 2 weeks. I had hoped to not change the light schedule from 18/6 to 12/12 until the Auto plant was further along, closer to 6 weeks in flower. But the Photos will be huge by then. That’s another 4 weeks from now! Will flipping now hurt the Auto plant? I know she is supposed to do her thing regardless of light schedule but I’m worried about shocking her as she’s still new into flowering. Thoughts?

Only 1 new pic right now. Not sure why I keep forgetting to take more. Duh. I’ll have more in a couple days.

Thanks all !!

IMG_4905.jpeg

I don't know much about autos, but everything I've seen says you'll be fine switching to 12/12.
The general consensus seems to be that it'll lower the yield, but continue to flower without problems.

Update Day 56

They’re each getting 5 litres per watering now and sucking it back in less than 4 days. It’s time to start watering sooner/more often. Going to water every 3-4 days now and see if they can handle it instead of every 4-5 days.

Had to raise the lights a few inches to maintain 12”-16” due to growth. PPFD 1000 at the top of canopy.

Opinions wanted: @Bill284 @Krissi Carbone @Delps8 @InTheShed @Absorber @Ke0ncp @Melville Hobbes @Emilya Green
Tia!

These girls have hit the 8 week mark. They are full, lush and growing quickly. I don’t want the Photo period plants to get overly tall and out grow the tent ceiling so I’d like to flip them to flower soon. But my single Auto period plant has only been in flower for approx 2 weeks. I had hoped to not change the light schedule from 18/6 to 12/12 until the Auto plant was further along, closer to 6 weeks in flower. But the Photos will be huge by then. That’s another 4 weeks from now! Will flipping now hurt the Auto plant? I know she is supposed to do her thing regardless of light schedule but I’m worried about shocking her as she’s still new into flowering. Thoughts?

Only 1 new pic right now. Not sure why I keep forgetting to take more. Duh. I’ll have more in a couple days.

Thanks all !!
Plants use light to make glucose for food. More light tends to produce more food. Less light results in less food. Less food results in less growth. In terms of yield, the change is almost linear.

1699031711124.png

If you cut the DLI by ⅓, your yield will drop about ⅓. OTOH, the fact that you've got your plant at LSP means that you're going to have "a metric shitton" of weed.

I don't share the opinion of some growers of autos being particularly problematic. That certainly hasn't' been my experience nor that of the thousands of growers on a website dedicated to growing autoflowers. After all, autos and photos are both cannabis cannabis, right?

1699030698885.png

1699031042070.png

Day 52 Update

Girls are looking really good. I’m impressed. So full, lush and green! They were fed again on Saturday. 5 litres each. PPM 700 PH 6.0. Recommended doses of Cal-mag, Micro, Grow & Bloom. Started to seriously trim/lollipop the 3 x GSC. Trimmed off a lot. Dumbass me forgot the take some before pics duh! Here’s some shots of afterwards.

Along with the Banner OG. The Banner is lankier than pervious Banners I’ve grown. But looking good though with lots of pistils.

Thanks to @Delps8 for the PPFD chart and recommendations. I’ve increased the canopy to 1000 PPFD. So far they are drinking in the light with very little burning, if any. The tips are a bit off color on some but that could have been there before turning up the lights. They look good anyway.

Thanks for looking.
A grow at 1k µmols means you're doing everything right. Congrats!

Update Day 56

Tia!

Thanks all !!

IMG_4905.jpeg
Autos work fine at 12/12, there is no need to worry about lighting schedule at all with autos so long as the light is good
My current Bruce Banner was grown alongside Blue Dream clones and went from 18/6 to 12/12 no problem
Think you dropped by earlier and saw the results, Charlie

Coming along nicely there! Great to see that you’re successful with the 1000ppfd!! Mine are at 1500 - 2200 ppfd now so in need to make some adjustments to my set up so that I can adjust that a bit. I am also not getting enough food to them and currently slowly increasing my nute schedule.

Can’t wait to watch yours progress.

Coming along nicely there! Great to see that you’re successful with the 1000ppfd!! Mine are at 1500 - 2200 ppfd now so in need to make some adjustments to my set up so that I can adjust that a bit. I am also not getting enough food to them and currently slowly increasing my nute schedule.

Can’t wait to watch yours progress.
How are you measuring PPFD?

Back
Top Bottom