A Low Budget Micro TLA Grow - With Added LED - Two Cream Caramel Photo Period

I have been away for a few days and returned to find an expanding canopy. 39 squares are` covered with a Top for each, there are several squares with 2 or more Tops which I shall move out as they grow.

CC12_19_11_a.jpg

The res. has dropped TDS to 230ppm with a ph of 6.5, I have another 10l of rainwater on the hob ready for a recharge tomorrow and a defoliation session.

The Auto Cousin is in her final home and too heavy for the screen.

Auto_19_11_a.jpg

The first real housekeeping question. I realise the planning and preparation of the plant is critical to maximising yield, Jon's scrog journal(s) demonstrated this expertly, my previous experiences have demonstrated the frustration that result from not doing enough preperation!

I am looking at H1, if you imagine the old Battleships rules, along the corridor first, H, then up the stairs 1.

H1_21_11.jpg

I have 3 secondary branches that are all the same length and would naturally end up in one square, because they are all at the outside edge of the screen I cannot start diverting them towards empty squares. All 3 are secondary's growing from the main stem, I think some of the overcrowding is being created by vegging under LED and the short inter-node spacing. Shoots A&B will grow to fill the nearest edge with other secondary shoots filling the squares behind them, but I can't see where shootC is going to fit in.

square_H_1_21_11.jpg

Should I remove it from its base to send resources to other secondary's or should I wait and see? More haste less weed?
:helpsmilie:

An Aside 3.

The day length and the dreadful weather has resulted in next to no energy reaching the Girls so the window sill project has become the radiator project. I have done my best with 4x45w Red CFLs, it is far from ideal. Some trichs are amber, about 5%, so I will give them 48hrs darkness starting tomorrow night and then Harvest.

GP_plants.jpg

The buds are quite light and airy, a mellow smoke though and fantastic for reducing the requirement for modern big pharma drugs for muscle spasticity! I also now know that growing purely with nature in my corner of the World is only for Autos.

GP_Buds_21_11.jpg

It will be ready for the New Year festivities too.

when you use a screen to spread out the growing tips of your cannabis plant this effectively evenly distributes the same amount of light to each growing tip, keep stretching out the branches to evenly distribute the growing tips in your screen.

The first real housekeeping question. I realise the planning and preparation of the plant is critical to maximising yield, Jon’s scrog journal(s) demonstrated this expertly, my previous experiences have demonstrated the frustration that result from not doing enough preperation!

I am looking at H1, if you imagine the old Battleships rules, along the corridor first, H, then up the stairs 1.

H1_21_11.jpg

I have 3 secondary branches that are all the same length and would naturally end up in one square, because they are all at the outside edge of the screen I cannot start diverting them towards empty squares. All 3 are secondary’s growing from the main stem, I think some of the overcrowding is being created by vegging under LED and the short inter-node spacing. Shoots A&B will grow to fill the nearest edge with other secondary shoots filling the squares behind them, but I can’t see where shootC is going to fit in.

square_H_1_21_11.jpg

Should I remove it from its base to send resources to other secondary’s or should I wait and see? More haste less weed?
:helpsmilie:

Looking good AJ. I wouldn't worry too much about which square each top will go through because this will change regularly until you flip and the screen fills and she stretches. As she grows up through the screen just pull her under and back up through another square. You'll have to reposition her again shortly, and the secondaries will catch up and fill the squares behind. It's only the weak stuff under the screen that's never going to reach it you need to remove, other than that just let her grow out until the screen's filled enough to flip and you'll be absolutely fine mate

GK is right bro, just keep moving them over a square everytime you have a couple of inches to play with, it is very important to only have 1 branch per square so there isnt any overcrowding issues during flower but for right now just leave them be and let the branches grow upwards for a good week then spread them out again and see where your at, by the looks of things that strain isnt going to be a big stretcher so I would try to fill the screen to 70% at least then remove all the unwanted branches and spindely stuff, let them heal until you see new growth starting again(around 5 days) and flip:)

PS: if there are branches that clearly have nowhere to go but up because the squares all around it are taken then remove the weekest one.

Looking good AJ. I wouldn't worry too much about which square each top will go through because this will change regularly until you flip and the screen fills and she stretches. As she grows up through the screen just pull her under and back up through another square. You'll have to reposition her again shortly, and the secondaries will catch up and fill the squares behind. It's only the weak stuff under the screen that's never going to reach it you need to remove, other than that just let her grow out until the screen's filled enough to flip and you'll be absolutely fine mate

Thanks GK, certainly feels like they are speeding up :thumb: the edges are what I am most worried about, I am removing all the small underskirts stuff when I take the screen off, heart breaking to remove good shoots but I know it will be worth it!

I shall leave all the tops that are heading to an open part of the screen, just one shoot on the edge that hasn't really got anywhere to go but is fairly long and in perfect health, oh well, I could always root it I suppose.

GK is right bro, just keep moving them over a square everytime you have a couple of inches to play with, it is very important to only have 1 branch per square so there isnt any overcrowding issues during flower but for right now just leave them be and let the branches grow upwards for a good week then spread them out again and see where your at, by the looks of things that strain isnt going to be a big stretcher so I would try to fill the screen to 70% at least then remove all the unwanted branches and spindely stuff, let them heal until you see new growth starting again(around 5 days) and flip:)

PS: if there are branches that clearly have nowhere to go but up because the squares all around it are taken then remove the weekest one.

Thanks Jon, I shall keep spreading but remove the one with nowhere to go, at its base. I must have missed it when it was little and the loss would have been less painful! I will endeavour to let them grow tall enough to super-crop them under the screen.

My intention was to go for 72 ‘main-tops’ before I flip, rather than 70% full, now I have increased my Maximum Headroom I should(?) be able to let them veg upwards an inch or so without tucking, any ‘tops’ that are too short I will remove at day 21 of flower for flowering-clones for the next round and remove as much under-skirts ‘fluff’ at the same time. Is this what they call having your Bikini-line Waxed?

Ps: I have just ordered Timewreck seeds so scrub the clones’ idea!

Pps: They will be my first Reg seeds, you have invited me over to the serious-side it seems :thanks:.

It starts with LED lights and then goes to Regulars and then to? You are a Gateway grower, in the most positive way possible!!

Ppps: Looking forward to your High Brix adventure!

Great shared Sea Of Green!:goodjob: Nothing better than shade leaves covered with TRICOMES!! Get a set of "Bubble Bags" worth every penny for hash made from shade leaves, to many growers throw away the trimmings, why throw away all that hash.

:thanks:

Nothing goes to waste, that doesn’t read like what I mean. The veg trim is a form of low grade currency in these parts, pays for my lawn to be mowed and a few other things I struggle with, if I turned it into bubble my out-side Gardener would know something better was available, harsh but true.

Didn't know you had a new one going AJ!
Subbed up now!
:high-five:

Hi Vick, I close the inside-garden down in the summer, the High Brix Fruit and Vegetable gardening takes it out of me, just catching up now Autumn is upon us, I’ll be over to yours shortly, I trust things are going tremendously as usual, if not better! Good to ‘see’ you

:thumb: :passitleft:

The Girls are eating more now, I had raised TDS to 720ppm from a previous sweet spot of 680ppm (stable ph day after day) and as they sped up TDS started to drop 20 or 30 every 24 hrs, the further the res is from the sweet spot the more unstable the ph becomes, requiring additives. I have topped up the TDS to 750 and set ph to 5.8, they are at that part of the cycle and I have noticed a very slight ‘peppering’ effect on a couple of leaves, possible early stages of a deficiency, not sure of what but I am aware from my virtual notes that they have been at the high end of the ph band for several days (6.2 & 6.1). I had visitors and unable to spend much time Gardening! Manganese is a possibility. Losing the charts is another cost of not backing up my hard drive, I know, there are 2 types of computer users, those that back up and those that wish they had!

Deficiency6.jpg

4 days since the last defol session and I am itching to have another go, but I will wait till Friday by when I will have some super cropping to do! :party:

Peppering.jpg

The peppering spots are more visible in this photo?

I started 2 Northern Lights Big Bud Autos on the same day, one was straight off the blocks and showing one of the differences between CFL and LED growing, she already has 4 secondary buds

NL_BB_Large.jpg

The slothful sister took 4 extra days to germinate and hasn’t really got any spring in Her step since, when she needs re-potting she will have to move house as there is not enough room here.

Little_NL_BB.jpg

Temperatures have dropped and there was a severe frost Today that lasted till the afternoon so I have squeezed in a radiator to avoid the grow disaster of 2012 when I was more reactive than proactive. I wish I had more space, it is some comfort that whatever space you have got it is soon not enough.

Running_out_of_space.jpg

A few more squares are covered.

Canopy_26_11.jpg

Hi AJ,
Just a suggestion..
But before you start guessing which deficiency you could have,
I'd check the underside of one of those peppery leaves, and rule out the possibility of mites first.
Spider mites can leave the same kind of spots.

Hi AJ,
Just a suggestion..
But before you start guessing which deficiency you could have,
I'd check the underside of one of those peppery leaves, and rule out the possibility of mites first.
Spider mites can leave the same kind of spots.

Thank you for your suggestion Vick, a very good call as it turns out!:thumb:

I removed a leaf and took photos.

Peppering1.jpg

And the underside

Reverse_a.jpg

I am having difficulties with reinstalling my USB Microscope but managed to get a bad photo of Thrips and Dozens of eggs!

thrips1.jpg

The Little Bastards got dowsed with a goodly spray of Neudorff Pyroll Spray which I had for my vegetables and has a better photo of a really big Bastard on the label. I shall redo every lights off.

Ph has dropped to 5.6, TDS might be a bit high, tomorrow I will dilute the res slightly with fresh water that is 6.8 ph. Raise the res ph to 6.2, 48hrs below 5.8 should be enough for the full range of elements?

Thank you again Vick, for your timely expertise! Wiw :adore::adore::adore::adore:

wiw!
:Namaste:

Glad you caught them bastards before the peppering turned into an infestation.
You should have them licked in no time if you plan to spray daily.
Maybe spray half way through their night cycle so they're not sitting wet in the cold/dark for so long before lights ignite again.
Or even better an hour before lights on, so they have enough time to dry.
Would hate to see the excessive spraying open you up for PM or mold issues.

Back
Top Bottom