CFL - Bag Seed - Soil - First Grow

so this morning these new things popped up. are these pistols?
20140706_120919.jpg
20140706_120912.jpg
20140706_120836.jpg
20140706_120755.jpg
20140706_120726.jpg

MONDAY MORNING UPDATE::
WOOHOOO she's still alive.. lol hahaha no no no nothing serious has happened.. i did, however wake up to the most potent smell yet. smelled like i had weed growing or something... so last night i decided i was going to dive deep into LST. i have some butchers twine i will be using. Now since i figure i'm about 1/3 thru veg, i figure this is a great time to start playing..
after the little girl woke up this morning, i was very surprised to see the humidity in the 60% range.. it did rain this morning but i haven't seen it that high since i've started this grow. i hope the little girl enjoyed it this morning

SO the pics.. first of the LST job i'm starting..
20140707_122739.jpg

only 2 strings to start leanering her..
20140707_123053.jpg

20140707_122944.jpg

this is around the her 3rd from the top node
20140707_122754.jpg
20140707_122820.jpg
20140707_122828.jpg
20140707_122932.jpg
20140707_123003.jpg
20140707_123114.jpg

Now this did seem strange to me.. looks like something is eating my baby.. i don't know tho.. any ideas..
20140707_123014.jpg

any comments are so welcomed.. i tried to get a few more shots of the nodes were the stipule are..

YAY i'm happy to have you aboard Lab.. thank you again for everything...

SO yesterday i bet her over.. and SHE LOVED IT!!! after she woke up this morning her second and third nodes extended SO much.. I bet her over jusssst alittle bet more so i can really keep a low profile, and veg her longer.. the new growth looks amazings. great color, non deformed leaves, really stretching to hit that light. I re-disigned the cabinnet lighting as i added a 65 cfm 4" computer fan for circulation in the cab. I changed the lighting, and added tin foil to make a hood. I'm using a small low power computer fan to vent the hot air from the hood. it's working very well. before the temps were in the 81-82 range with lights on and 76 without, now there 77-78 with lights on and 74 without. gotta love that.. So everything is working nice. getting the funds together to finish the flower cab and the exhast ventalition. i need around another $60 bucks. So far i've spent $65 so i'm not doing so bad.

Now on saturday when i topped her, i used to topping to try to create a clone. i cut at 45 degree and dipped the stem in rootech gel. then into very moist FF. one looks to be dying and the other, well 2 of the leaves are folded over, but the main leave looks good. enclosed are pics for your comments.
20140708_120201.jpg

the clones (first time ever hahaha)
20140708_120227.jpg

humidity dome
20140708_115739.jpg

from the top. you can see 5 top stems pushing thru..
20140708_120045.jpg
20140708_120139.jpg
20140708_120123.jpg

the last 3 are of the LST i'm doing.. comments??
20140708_120103.jpg

the ghetto foil hood, with hood exhaust and new circulation fan
20140708_120238.jpg

you see the clone in the corner, not in direct light, but in the warm corner of the cab..

So this is what i got going on.. Nothing major to report other then lots of growth, which we love... i'm planning on topping again in the next few days, but i want to get a solid top, so i can clone for sex.. any comments are much welcomed!!!

For cloning wait till you can take a cutting that is at least 2 inches long and has one extra node on it. Do not remove the node and use tap water that has let the chlorine leach out for 24 hours rather then FF soil which is too hot for the cutting. If you have an air stone put that in the bottom of the water, if not shake the glass of water a couple times a day to oxygenate it.

ok.. so your saying don't use the the soil at all, i should start to root in water. now i dont' have an air stone, but what i do have is a bait bucket bubbler that keeps my shrimps alive when i go fishing.. will the rootech cloning gel stay on while the tip is in water?
yeah i was aware of the cutting with extra node. i topped the main stem, and figured instead of just trashing the top, i would atleast try to use it.. anything i remove from the plant that i cant use to clone, is it able to be smoked at this point? i know it takes a while for the THC and CBD to to be created? or should i just trash em?

thanks for the sub---sprimp....

You can use the soil by all means let them try and grow roots ya never know, but the odds are against you when they are that small, I have done the same as you have done with no luck, but you may get lucky and I hope you do. And I agree with not letting it go to waste.

The rooting gel will dissolve in the water but is still useful to the plant.

Everyone has a way that works best for them, you may have to try a few different methods to find one that works for you. I would recommend looking up different ways to clone then trying as many as you can afford and figure out which works for you and which you prefer.

My mom used to clone tomatoes by taking a cutting and putting it in a glass of water on the window sill.

No it is not able to be smoked at this point, it contains no THC.

man lab, your experience and knowledge is awesome.. my parents used to clone everything in there garden by just sitting it in a cup of tap water in the window sill.. lol tomatoes, celery, lettuce, peppers, onions, pineapple.. i can remember then doing all kinds of plants with that method.. one that i say i like the best would be the small cup of water with the see thru cerann wrap. poking the clone thru the wrap just so it hits the water level. thats the way i'm probably gonna try the next set of clones.. i'm letting the girl really stretch out so hopefully the branches get good and strong and they clone well.. i'm dieing to know the sex.. it's literally killing me inside not knowing.. lolol but i can't flower yet as the flower cab and exhaust isn't done.. soon tho.. sooon... thank again guys.. you all rock..

thanks again for all the info..

You really have to stop posting the same thing in 2 different threads. I came here from your help topic, and was reading through every page and I'm thinking I'm having deja-vu, like every post by you.. I'm reading it thinking "holy shit.. how did I know he was going to say that??
until I realized you just posted the info twice. lol

Not a very nice joke! But I'm subscribed. Always nice to see another CFL grower like me :D

No no no. It was done at first because I thought I was suppose to. Different topics in different sub forums.. lol I'm done. Sorry guys. It'll stop.. lol only in the journal. Lolol... have a great night..

Don't take it the wrong way, I didn't mean to come off like I was scolding you or anything lol. You just had me all confused. But like Labexperiment said, once the problem is solved in the FAQ section just a simple post that says problem solved etc.. is good. It saves you work having to copy and paste all the text too :D

Morning Guys..
First off hahahahahahahah.. i got so excited when i found this forum, and all the knoledge, and how cool everyone was, i just started posting every where.. then naturally everyone started asking the same questions, and it whirwinded into me coping and pasting-- alot.. so none of that, cause now you guys are here, and i know you all are amazzzzing..

@Antics-- nooo don't worry.. it was a dumb excited noobie mistake.. it's like going to the gun store for the first time.. you get really excited, and i turn into a spaz.. i didn't think about just posting something that says oh yeah this is solved.. go check out my journal.. lol.. now i know.. :woohoo:

@KingJohnC -- the little cutting was just pinched off the plant, then dipped in PH corrected water and cut at a 45 degree angle under water.. i kinda massaged it to try to open it up as much as possible.. straight outta the water into some rootech gel.. and i slathered it on there.. not it was probably 1/4 inch stem and mostly tall top leaves.. so i put the rootech probably and inch on the cutting. i had a little 3 by 3 by 4 started pot that i filled with Fox Farms Ocean Forest. i took a pencil and made an indention then the cutting right in it.. moved some dirt to keep it steady and i have misted them with PH corrected water and kept in my make shift humidity dome. a 20 ounce lid. now the smaller one of the 2 seems dead. depending on when they wake up today i might remove it.. the larger one, the outter leaves look alittle dropped, but the main leaf looks really strong. no discoloration what so ever. soo i don't know.. i mist, it's warm in my cab. there up high and most un-ventilated so probably like 84+ with lights.. and i'm home 24/7 so there always misted...

So i'm not to sure whats gonna happen. lol i want to top 3 more branches that are the 2 and 3rd from the top right now.. there will be around 3-5 inches by this friday/saturday, so i really need to get this right.. i heard the FF soil can be really HOT, which i'm assuming is in regards to nutrients.. i really would like to try the water in a cup idea.. i feel as this might be my best option.. i'm not sure.. still 2 or 3 days worth of research to figure out..

Also last night, taking a stroll around the neighborhood, i came across a dumpster filled with air ducting there removing in a remodel.. SCORE!!! i now saved probably over $60 on plumbing for exhaust and intake.. also a nice sized insulated box that will sound proof my fan, and a sheet of plywood.. all in all over a $100 find.. woooohooooo:cheer::cheer::cheer: told the guy that came out i had to vent some hot air outta my garage.. so i'll be finishing up with this very soon.. my thoughts are with my saved money on exhaust/intake i might put it towards a LED for my flower cab. any ideas on one thats in the $40-$75 range?

You guys rock.. for realz.. i couldn't do it with out you.. thanks again for everything..
and i promise no more double/triple posting..

Nice score on the ducting, but make sure that any that you may use for INTAKE, you clean and disinfect especially well, you don't want someone's old dust blowing onto your plants, that stuff will stick to trichomes and make for a nasty flavored smoke.

most def.. it's for exhaust only. each cab will have a 4 inch duct that leads into a 4" inline fan, at 240 cfm. i'm gonna create a 5 gallon ona bucket. so hopefully this de-odorizes the air and takes the sweet weed smell out.. lets hope at least.. the intakes are gonna be 8" holes with a light baffle on the front facing side. using metel 90 degress with spacers in between. i saw the idea on this forum.. it's amazing and cheap. so all the used ducting none is for intake..

boy you guys weren't kidding when you said she really will love the LST. she's opened up so well. i know have around 6 branches that are acting as top colas.. this is awesome.. there growing well.. it's soon time for topping and cloning.. YAY.. soon to know if she's a female.. fingers crossed...

Thanks again guys..
~PositiveGrape..

UPDATE!!!! WOOOHOOOO:cheer::party::lot-o-toke::tokin::woohoo:

Because of me scoring those dumpster presents, i'm waayyyy ahead of schedule.. Yesterday after a frustrating day at the office, it was very very is nice to play in the garden.. I gotta say, there is something magical about growing plants.. i see why people get so attached.. lol Anyways i scored a beat up sheet of 1/4 plywood. It had some holes, but nothing alittle spackle duct tape and enjeniewity couldn't fix.. so i cut to size for the cab openings.. now with this being a house built in the late 60's, as you can imagine, there wasn't one straight cut out of all eight cuts.. lol but i got it nice and snug on both veg and flower cab..
BEFORE
20140703_132549.jpg

AFTER
IMG_20140710_083615.jpg

You can see the gap on the bottom (flower) cab. This is where i'm going to do a intake baffle.. one of the up and over things.. lolol
So i patched the holes, and painted the inside white, and the outside flat black.
20140710_081952.jpg

Also you'll see in the pic there are some pieces of a/c ducting that were also scored in the dumpster. The long piece is the main air duct going from the top of the Top (veg) cab and about 3/4 the way down i will be join another piece that you see cut in the pic, from the bottom (flower) cab. this will all go to a 4" inline fan in a 5 gal ona bucket.. woohooo no more smell..

SO everything is coming together.. once friday gets here, (payday) the inline fan will be coming from amazon, (w/prime it's 24.95 free ship, i get in 2 days) then with a another light set up for the flower cab i will be in FULL grow status.. My guess is i can have around 4-5 plant in each cab at the same time.. WOohoooo

Right now i'm running 130w (5) of 2100-2700K cfl's on the veg.. (thats all i had)
So what i'm gonna do is get another 6 26w 5500K and mix the in why it should be per cab.. have mostly 5500k in the veg with alittle 2100k. and opposite in flower.. I looked into doing LCD for the flower, but honestly it's just outta my price range.. maybe if i get a good yeild and start making some extra cash i might be able to but right now i see my cheapest option for 130-150watts is like 100-150 bucks.. smh.. Anyways.. i'm in a good spot.. i saw on the interwebs, this guy made a really nice CFL hood using a good sturdy card board box. so i'm gonna try that and see if i can make the cab alittle less ghetto.. :)

Thanks again for everything guys.. This has been such a fun experience so far.. you guys rock, and it's such a woosau at the end of my day.. happy thursday, and smoke on....
~PositiveGrape

I love the simplicity of your grow. Using recycled materials keeps costs down, and helps the planet all in one. Using recycled items also makes you think a little more on the best way to use them.

I wouldn't worry as much about appearance of your grow area, focus all your attention on effectiveness. And being your first grow, focus on learning as much as you can this time around. You'll have time to make a pretty grow area later :)

Back
Top Bottom