@InTheShed , My notes say that you recommend Spinosad, BT or insecticidal soap all over and then rinse off? Is that what you'd recommend for my Red Russian at this stage of development, to get rid of ants and aphids pronto? I have some insecticidal soap ready if it's a go, but please could you describe to me how I must apply it and rinse it off? Should I take the plant outside and spray spray spray until the stuff is dripping off? Should I then follow that treatment with a water rinse? I could use the hose with an attachment for that. What will the soap do to my soil?
BT is only for caterpillars, which you really shouldn't have inside! 🐛

I would go with the potassium salts of fatty acids (insecticidal soap, and rinse) for the aphids and a circle of DE around the pots. Ants cross it, take it back with them, and it slices the whole colony to death by a thousand cuts.
What do you think of this? The plant has stopped drinking and smells like cat pee. I could wait for amber, but is it worth it?
Take a tester for the toaster!

Your SKa is definitely getting close now. It’s in there where it’s becoming a personal choice of how you like your finish. I’ve also noticed on some of my autos under LED they haven’t always got a lot of amber on them. So I went by water intake and the retracting and color of the pistols.
Thank you Nev. I think I will take her down. I don't want to risk having an infection of ants and aphids. She has stopped drinking and I am sick of looking at her :cheesygrinsmiley:
I’ve never had that problem growing indoors but that may change now as I found some tiny sugar ants in the grow room this week. I followed the ant trail to a window and placed a trap there. I’m hoping that works.
Oh boy. I hope the traps work. I've already read Shed's response subsequent to yours. The DE sounds like a brilliant idea. A circle of it around the plant.
She is definitely the Super Star of this grow!
:green_heart:
:green_heart:
BT is only for caterpillars, which you really shouldn't have inside! 🐛

I would go with the potassium salts of fatty acids (insecticidal soap, and rinse) for the aphids and a circle of DE around the pots. Ants cross it, take it back with them, and it slices the whole colony to death by a thousand cuts.

Take a tester for the toaster!
It's lights out for me for the next couple of hours. I think your DE idea is great. I will only be able to do a taste test tomorrow because I'm about to get high and I won't be able to get a good idea after that tonight. Do I just nip off the top of a bud? I put a question to you about method of application for the salts of fatty acids. I'll check if you've read it. That I can only do when the lights come back on later anyway.

Thank you both :thanks:

I am sick of looking at her
Well it's decided then!
Do I just nip off the top of a bud?
I would pull off a lower larfy flower.
please could you describe to me how I must apply it and rinse it off? Should I take the plant outside and spray spray spray until the stuff is dripping off? Should I then follow that treatment with a water rinse? I could use the hose with an attachment for that. What will the soap do to my soil?
It only kills on contact, so it's not about how much as where (everywhere). And it only works when it's wet, so it's easiest to spray off just before it dries completely. Misting will do the least damage to the trichs if you have that setting on your hose.

I don' think the soap is a problem for the soil but you're not saturating it, just some dripping runoff.

Well it's decided then!

I would pull off a lower larfy flower.

It only kills on contact, so it's not about how much as where (everywhere). And it only works when it's wet, so it's easiest to spray off just before it dries completely. Misting will do the least damage to the trichs if you have that setting on your hose.

I don' think the soap is a problem for the soil but you're not saturating it, just some dripping runoff.
Thank you. I nipped a larfy one off and took some pics. It's sticky a.f. and doesn't smell like cat pee. My 2 hours of darkness are almost up so I may as well wait and get high on this. Please remind me how long you leave the bud on the tinfoil boat on the toaster?

You know what I'm going to do, is hold off on the salts of fatty acids for the RR. I really don't want to mess with that plant now unless I have no choice. I think I have caught the problem in time. I will put a circle of DE around it and hope that between the DE and the ant trap, the problem will be sorted. Also with the removal of the SK.

I've zoomed in and I think there is enough amber on this larf, telling me it's time to chop.

DSC_1825-Edit.jpg
DSC_1827-Edit.jpg
DSC_1830-Edit.jpg

I've zoomed in and I think there is enough amber on this larf, telling me it's time to chop.

If you say it’s Time then knock her down and hang her up. It’s time to cure her.

Nick, sorry to drag you down a rabbit hole. I posted this on Shed's feed at the exact time he posted his update 😮 and I didn't want to ruin his post, so deleted and brought it here. I hope that's ok?

Yeah all depends your airways. I’m playing with my dehumidifier in/out at the moment. Its similar stuff.

This is totally different to my own rooms because I m have AC’s and Dehumidifiers but its same/same but different @Carmen Ray

If you have up to say a 4x8 tent in a room used for another purpose as well as for growing. You want to get reasonably humid air into that tent evenly at budget energy cost?

I’m gonna assume you have an inline fan for extraction, probably a carbon filter? Not that it matters. Some swing fans inside. Put that upstairs to vent and it will naturally pull air in through a length of 4/6/8” duct pipe you have already added two 90 degree bends in to make sure you ain’t getting unwanted lights and hermies.

Sure warm air rises and your natural flow vent system draws in at the bottom, pushes out at the top so not perfect convection but with the 7 fin jobby running you don’t care too much - warm room and warm tent.

Plus you don't need a 1300W lump of heater in the same space as your plants. With like fire and is that an orange light I need to tape over so I don’t hermie my plants worries!

Chillax on the couch and watch a movie in your nice warm room and check on your plants lots!

Nick
Autos and no tent. The plants are growing on top of my dining table. For my winter-to-spring photoperiod grow I will make an OzTent which is a concertina tent out of pvc pipes and panda film and throw a sheet of panda over the top for lights out. I don't have any exhausts or other electronic grow equipment. I share the space with my plants and I love to look at them up close several times a day 😍 .

Sorry just to add - my guess is at 1500w small room, you’re gonna start thinking about a timer. The thermos on them are decent but it will get too hot over night on lowest settings. You’ll want to run it like 6am to 12pm then top up 6pm to Midnight on 20% lowest setting.

My guess. Assuming say a 3x4m total room size.
15 footsteps by 22 footsteps. My feet are 25 cm long, so that makes 3,75 m x 5,50 m. Then there is a short passage to my bedroom which is the size of a postage stamp. It is all open... about the size of a studio apartment but with a division between where I sleep and the living room / kitchenette. There is a draft that comes in from under the front door, which I usually seal off with a rolled up towel.

Now you have me concerned about the 7 fin job. I have hunted on the net and I can't find a 750 Watt one like Boo's. I will have to settle with the 7 fin one. What I can do though, is keep it in the passage against the wall, so that it is not right up close. Do you think that could work?

I am also anxious now that you mention that the orange light could hermie the plants? I grew two photoperiod plants on my dining room table with a ShedTent last year, which is garbage bags hanging from the light, and up against the window, no hermying.

Anxiety much? :lot-o-toke:

If you say it’s Time then knock her down and hang her up. It’s time to cure her.
:high-five: Thank you Nev! I think I might just do that!

This is some good weed :) What a trip. First it was speedy with no anxiety, then it became floaty with melty body feeling. Happy high. Yes! A winner. I will do this one again.

It is actually very trippy weed. One minute I have a head rush and I have to stop what I'm doing, then it backs off and comes around again. Not something to smoke if I need to be task focused. This is what I'm tripping on at the moment, This plant broke dirt on 17th Dec, and was harvested on 17th Feb! I just spotted that now. Also this weed no longer smells like cat pee. It's very floral, with maybe some pine. Done, smoke report in on this one :smokin:What an easy ride and a very satisfactory outcome. Swick and los for the win.

Wow. I just read the Barney's Farm write up. It is exactly true to the description! Brilliant. They say seed to harvest is 70 days and mine came in at 63. I call that on the money, given that she suffered so . Also, the leaves of the bud pic in their ad are dark green like mine were! Boom, Barney's for the win. I will know next time that this plant can get quite tall too, so I will probably have to do a SK only grow. Winner winner, chicken dinner... so effing pleased.

The proof is in the pics

I actually wonder if the sub-irrigation had anything to do with shaving off a few days.
DSC_1834-Edit.jpg

I reckon there is probably about 20g dry weight in that. We'll see.

And here is the Red Russian on her own now. I'm in awe. Next time I want to try a hex, I think
DSC_1842-Edit.jpg

What an excellent result!
Thank you very much Shed!
Beautiful !! :cheer: Congratulations on your harvest Carmen I'm glad it's lovely & you will run it again, great result! :green_heart:
Thank you Wef!

I am about to show you something horrible though! I did a root autopsy. These were my findings.

Skeleton
DSC_1853-Edit.jpg
DSC_1854-Edit.jpg

Roots
DSC_1859-Edit.jpg
DSC_1868-Edit.jpg
DSC_1872-Edit.jpg
DSC_1876-Edit.jpg

The soil was infested with dozens of these grubs. There was carnage. I am going to have to treat the soil with something. I have been on a nematode hunt this morning and no luck thus far.
DSC_1871-Edit.jpg

Those look like grub worms that we treat here with milky spore, a powder that is spread over the lawn. The grubs ingest it and die, releasing even more of it into surrounding soil for their compatriots to enjoy as well.

Nice on your harvest Carmen! I’d say the Barney’s Farm seeds were some good genetics after all that SK went through and still delivered you some quality smoke.
It’s going to get easier every time for you now.:bravo:

Where the heck did those come from?
Think I remember something about some used soil from a kale plant was added to the mix.
Brassica, cabbage family plants attract lots of white butterflies, which lay eggs. May have attracted something else that left them grubs.

Back
Top Bottom