Crawdaddy's 2014 Summer Outdoor Season

>>>I simply have a 'tray' instead of a reservoir that the plant sits in and an extra pump that pumps water back UP into reservoir.

Can you explain how this works? I don't understand how the pump will ever turn off when the res is empty. Or do you let it run dry for a bit?

>>>One thing I am noticing growing 'Capn Style' is not as much support from roots as in soil... Capn, is this just me?, or is this a weakness of your style? if just me, any suggestions? I been tieing up for now.

Typically I use the 7gal air pot which holds a few gallons wet, so that's about 24lbs. But as it dries it will weigh less for sure. I had one fall over once (the entire pot fell with it) when buds got heavy. I always tie up to the ceiling with yoyos or SCROG.

This behavior is the same with DWC or even dirt too.

Can you explain how this works? I don't understand how the pump will ever turn off when the res is empty. Or do you let it run dry for a bit?

They just run dry for a bit till water trickles down through the rockwool and out the bottom. I need to get another timer and have those two 'tray extraction' pumps run for an extra 10 mins after top feed pump turns off. But it accomplishing what I want with extra vert. space, and only one res to adjust nutes/pH, but with these two big plants having to refill EVERY day.

Uh oh. This weed is going to be hallucinogenic. ha ha

Read this:

The Dog Who Loved to Suck on Toads : NPR

LOL, that was a funny story. Our puppy(well 6 months old now) is 'stoned'(sleepy and wobilly) every 3-4 days, we not sure what she getting, could be buds, but I trying to be careful about not dropping on floor and she does not seem overly interested in them. Could also be roots of some kind , being a beagle she has a great nose and always is digging up and eating roots in the yard, she LOVES it when you pull weeds up, grabs them by the roots and starts running around the yard.

crawdaddy, what is this(that the plants are sitting on) and where can i get one?? is it like a giant cooler??will it hold water??

DSCN21245.JPG

Been awhile since I drove thru. Girls are looking great. I raised my greenhouse up on blocks when I put her up. But myself I find it hard to keep the humidity down in them. I'm just lazy and haven't put in a good ventilation system in. Something like a attic fan for 100$ wood work great. Hey just my 2 cents try to keep the leaves cleaned out. They will mold on the ground. I'd imagine it's kind of hard to keep water in them air pots. Another way to gain space in plant directly in the ground. You can even dig a depression and plant your plants 6-8 inch lower than the floor that way. And it helps with the watering. Well looks good and Keepem Green

It a big rubber maid ( I think) 'garden storage box' , was x mas present, I will have to look again when get home. It not one piece so I doubt it would hold water.

I buy inexpensive garbage cans, usually 32 gallon, and store rainwater in those. I have three rain barrels, and 4 garbage cans full. I also store soil in garbage cans. Walmart has them for 15 dollars now and then, but they are pretty decent ones.

Just looking back real quick and seen ya talking about storage, I for a wholse food distibitor local and he unloads the blue 55 gallon drums for 10$. He uses soya lecithin bye the truck loads. I found him off a site called freecycle. But just a idea.
GL and Keepem Green

Oh I love freecycle.com I got a Blueray player for free, IKEA bar stools, etc. And I gave stuff away too. I never thought to check for rain barrels or drums. I can also get 55 gallon blue barrels for about 10 dollars, but they are really not clean and it takes a lot to get rid of the oil they generally store.

Sept 1st update on all the outdoor ladies...

Lots of pictures here!

First is the Big Blueberry, in Promix. She has been yellowing too much too early in my opinion, guess my soil mix sucks. Been feeding her extra N, to no avail. Hopefully she turn out ok...
DSCN24993.JPG
DSCN2500.JPG
DSCN2501.JPG
DSCN2502.JPG
DSCN25032.JPG

Next is the Critical in Promix. Same as Blueberry but not as bad. We shall see how she finishes up.
DSCN25043.JPG
DSCN25052.JPG
DSCN25061.JPG
DSCN25072.JPG

The first of the 'Capn Style' giants, Vanilla Kush. Nothing much to say but pictures...
DSCN25082.JPG
DSCN25092.JPG
DSCN25102.JPG
DSCN25113.JPG
DSCN25124.JPG
DSCN25132.JPG
DSCN25144.JPG

Same for the Crimea Blue 'Capn Style' giant.
DSCN25155.JPG
DSCN25166.JPG
DSCN25175.JPG
DSCN25183.JPG
DSCN25194.JPG
DSCN25205.JPG
DSCN25214.JPG

Here are the 'corner babies', 5 plants put outside to flower cause no room inside.
DSCN25226.JPG

And finally the Flowerbomb Kush that got squeezed out of the greenhouses.
DSCN25233.JPG
DSCN25245.JPG
DSCN25255.JPG
DSCN25275.JPG

Enjoy!

Sept 1st update on all the outdoor ladies...
DSCN25113.JPG

Enjoy!

Holy moly. I about fell out of my chair when I saw this. I've never grown one that big in an airpot. Did you tie these up from above so they can't fall over?

If you asked me 3 months ago about a "Capn style VS soil in a green house", I would have guessed soil would win. The reason I would have guessed soil would win, is because I would think the water would get too warm, and there wouldn't be enough place for roots for such a large plant, in an air pot. You have taken the capn style growing outdoors, and I can't see ANY problems with it. They are looking so green and lush.

I'm sure your soil mix doesn't "suck", but it does show; with soil, it is always somewhat of a guessing game. With rockwool and synthetic nutrients, we can use a "recipe" and give the plant exactly what it needs, and keep the PPM and PH correct all the time.

A few questions for you.

1. In the giant capn style plants in the greenhouse, how often are you irrigating? Surely once a day is not enough?

2. What is the water temp is the reservoir?

3. What is the VOLUME of water in the res and how often are you changing out the res water?

Holy moly. I about fell out of my chair when I saw this. I've never grown one that big in an airpot. Did you tie these up from above so they can't fall over?

If you asked me 3 months ago about a "Capn style VS soil in a green house", I would have guessed soil would win. The reason I would have guessed soil would win, is because I would think the water would get too warm, and there wouldn't be enough place for roots for such a large plant, in an air pot. You have taken the capn style growing outdoors, and I can't see ANY problems with it. They are looking so green and lush.

I'm sure your soil mix doesn't "suck", but it does show; with soil, it is always somewhat of a guessing game. With rockwool and synthetic nutrients, we can use a "recipe" and give the plant exactly what it needs, and keep the PPM and PH correct all the time.

A few questions for you.

1. In the giant capn style plants in the greenhouse, how often are you irrigating? Surely once a day is not enough?

2. What is the water temp is the reservoir?

3. What is the VOLUME of water in the res and how often are you changing out the res water?

In the giant capn style plants in the greenhouse, how often are you irrigating? Surely once a day is not enough?

Twice a Day 30 mins.

What is the water temp is the reservoir?

I do not really check it often, pH meter has a temp gauge on it, only noticed it above 80 a few times when we had 100 degree days, last few days been in high 60's low 70's with high 70 and low 80 degree days.

What is the VOLUME of water in the res and how often are you changing out the res water?

Now it is a shared res, one of those 14 gallon Brute totes, before new irrigation system was one tote per plant. With shared res I am having to put 4-8 gallon a day to keep it filled depending on weather. honestly I have only dumped the res out completely once, but many times I have let it run as low as pump can go and refilled, just because they suck up so much water and would drain res in day or two if not top off. With totes under plants was a REAL pain to do complete empty, now much easier. How often do you think i should do a complete res change.

I am very impressed with how it gone so far, I hope they bud out well. slightly concerning that they not farther along, worried an early freeze or early season storm with the humidity will kill me. One of hazards being this far north, days so long plants do not start budding to later. I have not tied them from above, yet, saving that arrow for if needed when buds fill out. I am thinking the Vanilla Kush will not need, it standing pretty straight, the Crimea Blue has a lean to it though, hence the more support strings on stalks.

Thanks for the info, CD. Looking so good. That's a small res for those size plants but it sure is working for you. I don't see ay deficiencies so no worries about changing water that much. With such a small amount of water they must be using it all up! I change 5 gallons a week.

Thanks for the info, CD. Looking so good. That's a small res for those size plants but it sure is working for you. I don't see ay deficiencies so no worries about changing water that much. With such a small amount of water they must be using it all up! I change 5 gallons a week.

Yea next year I am planning a set up with a big 30-50 gallon barrel for res with a modified tray system like did here for the extra vertical space. Maybe then I wont have to mix up nutes EVERY day lol.

Big pot's=Big plants!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's for sure, Keepem Green

That is the plan:thumb:

Yeah its very inspiring craw, next Spring Ill set up a big cube/outdoor greenhouse grow and see what can be done with a few large yielders lol, Thanks!

Glad I could help s1ing!, you should feel some 'harmony' with my plants since they using drip rings you gave me :) What is your average daily high temp? Just asking for water temp reasons, but if maybe could bury the res would help. I would do that if not on concrete patio.

Saturday update!

Had a string of nice temperate weather until last few days, hot again, but not to bad, low-mid 90's, but real dry, hopefully last bit of hot dry weather for year.

My plants are in general behind alot of other outdoor plants I see on here, pretty sure that because I am fairly far north, so days longer. My biggest fear is buds not fully developing/early season storm causing humidity and bud rot/early frost, but time will tell.

also in general it hard to get a good size perspective on plants in greenhouse, cant get a good pic of whole plant due to space constraints.

First up are the plants in soil, the Blueberry and Critical, as mentioned before, are yellowing way early not sure why. so far effected BB the most, hoping she fills out well. The critical is smelling very good and getting some trichs going, no smell from other two yet. The Flowerbomb Kush put out in the year/sun sure seems leafy, hope her buds fill out.

Blueberry..
DSCN25515.JPG
DSCN25525.JPG
DSCN25533.JPG
DSCN25541.JPG
DSCN25552.JPG
DSCN25562.JPG
DSCN2557.JPG

Critical...
DSCN25581.JPG
DSCN25592.JPG
DSCN25602.JPG
DSCN25612.JPG

Flowerbomb Kush...
DSCN25752.JPG
DSCN25762.JPG
DSCN25772.JPG
DSCN25783.JPG
DSCN25794.JPG

Now for the 'Capn Style' giants, they needed 10 gallons of water today and just refilled res 2 days ago, they suck it up big time in the heat. VERY hard to get good measure on the size of these babies. Healthy as can be just wish they speed up a bit.

Vanilla Kush
DSCN2569.JPG
DSCN25702.JPG
DSCN25711.JPG
DSCN25723.JPG
DSCN25732.JPG
DSCN2574.JPG

Crimea Blue
DSCN25622.JPG
DSCN25634.JPG
DSCN25642.JPG
DSCN25651.JPG
DSCN25661.JPG
DSCN25671.JPG

And finally the 5 corner babies, I tied them up into groups where getting to spread out, they really stretched like crazy..
DSCN25682.JPG

Well hope everyone enjoyed!:volcano-smiley:

Back
Top Bottom