Crawdaddy's Mother Plant Hunt

LOL Jimmy, I am going to chop my first BVK in 2 days.

Most of what i got was free seeds, was trying out new sprouting method and it has worked REAL well, only seed out of about 20 that not sprout i dug out of rockwool and put in cup of water and nothing for days, so it was dead seed.
That's like a 95% success rate Cdaddy. Do you mind enlightening us meager 60% - 80% rate germinators to this new method.

That's like a 95% success rate Cdaddy. Do you mind enlightening us meager 60% - 80% rate germinators to this new method.

I have some of the about 1" square cubes with the little hole in them. Soak in pH 5.5 water for about 24 hours. put in tray with seedling heating mat underneath(do not think necessary but was still a bit chilly on the floor when they where put in the cubes). Wait 4-5 days, then u have baby plants. then after another few days of them being above the rockwool. I put the cube in a small pot with a bunch of rockwool chunks to fill it up. I cut out some cardboard templates to cover the rockwool and have a little hole for plant to stick out and taped it down to top of pot, so not get algae covered rockwool.

I am going to put the 4 older ones in 1 gallon pots of rockwool chunks this weekend. I need another bag of the chunks from the hydro store first though. I have been following and using The Capn's method so far and it doing great. Evolving away from soil, but will probably end up keeping mothers in soil for its ease.

I have some of the about 1" square cubes with the little hole in them. Soak in pH 5.5 water for about 24 hours. put in tray with seedling heating mat underneath(do not think necessary but was still a bit chilly on the floor when they where put in the cubes). Wait 4-5 days, then u have baby plants. then after another few days of them being above the rockwool. I put the cube in a small pot with a bunch of rockwool chunks to fill it up. I cut out some cardboard templates to cover the rockwool and have a little hole for plant to stick out and taped it down to top of pot, so not get algae covered rockwool.

I am going to put the 4 older ones in 1 gallon pots of rockwool chunks this weekend. I need another bag of the chunks from the hydro store first though. I have been following and using The Capn's method so far and it doing great. Evolving away from soil, but will probably end up keeping mothers in soil for its ease.

Looking great, CD. That is quite the variety pack. Surely you will get a winner out of all those.

>>>with seedling heating mat underneath(do not think necessary

You're right. A heating mat is not absolutely necessary but wow does it make a difference. Roots sprout much faster, seedling grows much quicker.

I like your seed method. My method is about the same but slightly different. I soak in paper towel until I get a root, then in cubes, inside a dome:

Fastest and most successful way to Germinate Seeds - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Looking great, CD. That is quite the variety pack. Surely you will get a winner out of all those.

>>>with seedling heating mat underneath(do not think necessary

You're right. A heating mat is not absolutely necessary but wow does it make a difference. Roots sprout much faster, seedling grows much quicker.

I like your seed method. My method is about the same but slightly different. I soak in paper towel until I get a root, then in cubes, inside a dome:

Fastest and most successful way to Germinate Seeds - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Hey Capn' thanks for stopping by.

I have done the paper towel thing before, but ever since i killed about 5-10 seeds by not checking often enough and the root had grown into paper towel and getting it out killed them I have stopped doing that.

I appreciate all your help and guidance, I would have asked a lot more questions on your blog, but others have asked same or similar ones so I just read along, or I want to figure it out for myself :)

The Hawaiian Snow I have in my LED comparison has had a SERIOUS stretch in the first two weeks of flower(like it supposed to) and I think alot of that can be attributed to the great influx of nutes your method allows.

I am chopping the BVK and BCB at 60 days flower.

Here are some pre chop shots...

DSCN19707.JPG
DSCN19718.JPG
DSCN19728.JPG
DSCN19739.JPG
DSCN19747.JPG
DSCN19756.JPG
DSCN19766.JPG

and macros...
bcb_MACRO_2.jpg
bcb_MACRO_11.jpg
bvk_MACRO13.jpg
bvk_MACRO22.jpg

I been slacking on this journal.

Hopefulyl get a chance to do a good phot update this weekend...

The 2XCritical, Power flower and Flowerbomb Kush are about 30-35 days into flower, looking good except for the Mite attack.

Everything has had its 2nd treatment of 3 of Nuke em Mite killer.

I have quite a plethora of seedlings, well they are past seedling stage, about a month old:

5 X TH Seeds BubbleGum (regular)-really excited about these
1 X TH Seeds MK Ultra (feminsied)-free seed
3 X Fruity Chronic Juice (feminised)-free sed
1 X StrawberryBlue (feminsied)-free seed
2 X Cotton Candy (feminsed)=free seed
3 X Samsara Seeds Spicy White Devil(feminsed)- bought these cause of Carestalker grow/nug of the month(got them before he got nug of month)

I should be taking the clones of each of these within the week. The Bubblegum's are in soil, the rest doing 'Capn Style'.

I have been smoking on the BVK and BCB, pretty good stuff, the BVK is better though. got a mason quart jar out of them usually about an OZ.

I got a 2'X4' flood tray to hold most everything in the closet, got a lot of babies/teenagers in there. It is much better now, have one big res under tray, getting pump in mail tomorrow will set it up for the stuff in rockwool.

Previous post is list of plants...

Here is before tray(sorry forgot to turn white balance on)......
DSCN20753.JPG
DSCN20765.JPG

And after, as you can see much better...
DSCN20774.JPG
DSCN20785.JPG

Next step is to take clones of the Bubblegums, probably Monday or Tuesday.

OO and yesterday had to drive to Olympia,WA to renew license, about 3 hours away, so stopped at a dispensary there and got two clones, a Sour diesel and Berrysomething.

So i am in the process of upgrading my veg closet.

Got a 2' X 4' Flood try other day, set it up with res underneath.

today I am putting to together the irrigation tubing, I have 12 plants in 1 gallon pots with rockwool and 1 in 5 gallon airpot.

Here is my design plan, this will give me 12 outlets as designed, could easily add 1 more, I need to get a few more hydro halos ...

Irrigation_laycout_closet.jpg

Set up pics later!

So got mostly everything in closet irrigated was pain in the ass.

My organized plan kind went out the window, but the general idea on the piping is the same. Just alot of unequal length segments. spent about 2-3 hours getting it all working. Had many issues to overcome but think i got it, they al lgetting water but one in bigger airpot, need one more hydro halo for that will order tomorrow....

DSCN21314.JPG
DSCN21324.JPG
DSCN21335.JPG
DSCN21344.JPG
DSCN21352.JPG
DSCN21362.JPG

That is a sweet veg set up. What size water pump are you using to drive all of those halos? It looks like you have some hydro halos and some hydro hats. My hydro hats have bigger holes, do yours? It's a good thing that they don't clog as easily, but they also need a bigger water pump to drive them. I haven't decided which ones I like better.

I really like this; a couple things I would do:

1. Drill a 6" hole in the res so you can look in and see water level, test your ppm and ph, etc. Use 6" net pots or something else to block light.

2. I would probably do more like an "octopus" type set up, so you have more flexibility when it comes to placing your pots in the tray, and then transplanting them to bigger pots and so forth. Kind of like this:

hey Capn,

It a 385 GPH pump. I was thinking it enough cause water is flowing rather decently from the bottoms of all the pots. The hydro hats where $2 dollars cheaper each so why I got them, did not know holes are bigger. I did not examine closely but they seemed like from the exact same mold to me, juts different color, when I think about it will take one of each out and compare.

I do have a hole in res to get at res level/testing, it just in middle of res, you can barely see it in first pic, it is shaded under the flood tray. Probably going to get one of those 'brute' containers for this set up in next few weeks anyhow.

After I was done I was thinking more of the octopus style, I got all fancy trying to 'equalize' distance to all ends, but after thinking about it in end I bet it not matter all that much if system gets fully pressurized on an irrigation run. Octopus style would probably allow better placement of plants too. Well as along as they all get water right?

So now i just need a 9" hydro halo/hat and a timer(just plugging it on once a day for about :30 mins till then) and it all done.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

here are some Criticals and Power Flower coming down in big tent today, I going to keep The first critical as keeper, #2 is good but 1 looks better.

Power flower going to be given one more chance, she showed some legs at end but had to go early cause of mites.

DSCN22533.JPG
DSCN22553.JPG
DSCN22562.JPG
DSCN22573.JPG
DSCN22585.JPG
DSCN22593.JPG
DSCN22605.JPG

Back
Top Bottom