Crawdaddy's Fall 2013 TopLED COB Grow

Nice thread craw!! I've been watching your thread for a while now. I have a mixture of cobs, Mars and some 3 w panels as well. One of my plants has identical burnt fan leaves (8ball kush 4 weeks flower). I don't know if its a p deficiency in flower or over fert (which can lock up in p as well as cold and or wet soil. I think the fact were both using cobs is just a coincidence. I have a sour diesel in same mix under same lights doing great. Who knows, good journal!! By the way what distance from plants are you keeping your cobs?

You can say that again.

Awesome photos of some lovely plants :)

thanks Guys! :high-five:

Nice thread craw!! I've been watching your thread for a while now. I have a mixture of cobs, Mars and some 3 w panels as well. One of my plants has identical burnt fan leaves (8ball kush 4 weeks flower). I don't know if its a p deficiency in flower or over fert (which can lock up in p as well as cold and or wet soil. I think the fact were both using cobs is just a coincidence. I have a sour diesel in same mix under same lights doing great. Who knows, good journal!! By the way what distance from plants are you keeping your cobs?

Are you seeing this just under the COB? My next test will be running plants with some soil/mix under the COB as the Mars2, then If i get the same burning I know it the COB. But I with you I think it a nute thing, but it just appears more often/seems worse under my COB light so I also think might be it.

As of now the COB panel is about 3-4 feet above the Hawaiian Snow and 4-5 feet above the others.

Hey craw...

I have two fairly large plants in a 5x5 tent, one is a sour diesel (plant is nearly perfect) the other is an 8bk that looks almost identical to yours under the cob. I think the 8 bk issues for me is (was) cold slightly too moist soil. The diesel is in same soil and happy (maybe two different strains that require slightly different conditions).

Its LED madness in my tent!! I have about 1100 actual watts of LEDs. Mostly smaller panels. A few cobs, 1 mars2 400, 1 UFO, I believe these are all made by top led though bought off eBay, also a vipar led panel. Probably about 2000 or so led watts. They are all mixed over both plants. I have to say I haven't had a single issue with a single diode on any of my LED lights! I would say my panels range from 24-36" to canopy

Hey craw...

I have two fairly large plants in a 5x5 tent, one is a sour diesel (plant is nearly perfect) the other is an 8bk that looks almost identical to yours under the cob. I think the 8 bk issues for me is (was) cold slightly too moist soil. The diesel is in same soil and happy (maybe two different strains that require slightly different conditions).

Its LED madness in my tent!! I have about 1100 actual watts of LEDs. Mostly smaller panels. A few cobs, 1 mars2 400, 1 UFO, I believe these are all made by top led though bought off eBay, also a vipar led panel. Probably about 2000 or so led watts. They are all mixed over both plants. I have to say I haven't had a single issue with a single diode on any of my LED lights! I would say my panels range from 24-36" to canopy

So far I like the Mars 2 best, only had it for a month or two, but man that thing is a beast, solid as a rock. What about you?

And you have a journal on here?

I only took these pics with intention of checking out myself and not posting, but it looks so nice figured people want to see a nice Hawaiian Snow bud forming under the LEDs. Its seems to have packed alot more pistils in the last few days.
DSCN12256.JPG
DSCN12264.JPG
DSCN12279.JPG
Hey craw I'm so close to finally being legal I don't wanna chance anything with a journal just yet. My fan leaves look identical to yours in this pic, either we have the same deficiency going on or its the cob. Your flowers look great, mine are unaffected to this point also. I have 2 plants, the o e that has the most cob light hitting it is showing the most burnt leaves. Hmmmmmm, my basement gets cool this time of year and that can affect soil which can lock up food to plant. But now I'm wondering if its the cobs? Our fan leaves look EXACTLY the same.

Damn man when I saw those I thought you snuck in my room and took pictures of my shit lol...

Seriously, didn't you have issues on a prior grow with these? The more I think about this the more I thinks its the cobs....

Either there's a serious design flaw and there useless or they need to be like 5' or more away from canopy!! And if so how effective would they be that far?

Does anyone know of anyone who's done an entire grow with cobs without similar issues?

Thank crawdad, without your journal who knows how long it would have taken me to figure this out, at least I think I got it figured out.....

What lovely color that bud has!

Why thank you, I am liking it too, the color is not 100% correct in pic, because it a white balance shot under LEDs, but pretty dam close. I will probably post another pic of it tonight, need to pull them all out and check trichs.

Hey craw I'm so close to finally being legal I don't wanna chance anything with a journal just yet. My fan leaves look identical to yours in this pic, either we have the same deficiency going on or its the cob. Your flowers look great, mine are unaffected to this point also. I have 2 plants, the o e that has the most cob light hitting it is showing the most burnt leaves. Hmmmmmm, my basement gets cool this time of year and that can affect soil which can lock up food to plant. But now I'm wondering if its the cobs? Our fan leaves look EXACTLY the same.

Damn man when I saw those I thought you snuck in my room and took pictures of my shit lol...

Seriously, didn't you have issues on a prior grow with these? The more I think about this the more I thinks its the cobs....

Either there's a serious design flaw and there useless or they need to be like 5' or more away from canopy!! And if so how effective would they be that far?

Does anyone know of anyone who's done an entire grow with cobs without similar issues?

Thank crawdad, without your journal who knows how long it would have taken me to figure this out, at least I think I got it figured out.....

Hey Queefr, Glad to know it is helping, I am really stumped on it too. I am not 100% convinced yet that it the COB, but I am definitely leaning in that direction. I will know more when I flower some clones of these plants under the Mars II, they are 5 days into flower right now and looking healthy as can be, see my other grow in signature.

whose COB light are you using? I love the idea of the technology, but it may end up being TOO intense.

I purchased them on eBay from top led. I think the store name was easyhydro. They have afew stores on eBay all selling led lights, why they go under so many different names is beyond me, it gets confusing. They stopped selling the cobs when Jon wasn't impressed with his trial, I think he had his at least 4' away.

Yea the COBs just need more spectrums IMO, my personal theory, with no proof, is that since the COB are only 2 different diodes it concentrating too much light in those two spectrums, breaking down the chlorophyll that absorbs all that intense light thus all the heat, and leaving the rest of the plant ok. Just an hypothesis.

Anyhow here is update on the 3 Brainstorm, 3 Hawaiian Snow, and freebie Chronic and White Widow seedlings.

They are 39 days old today. Still under 18/6. Will be moved under COB light as the current ones finsih and give me some room.

I am not impressed with the Brainstorm strain at all, only #1 with nice thick stems to go along with its stretchyness is giving me any good vibes. #4 is not stretching but seems to have less vigor. Although the one I have been flowering has a killer stink.
BS_12.jpg
BS_23.jpg
BS_41.jpg

The Hawaiian Snow is giving me lots of variety, so far #3 is giving me the best vibes. #4 could be the bad pheno according to Graytail, and #1 is a bushy sucker.
HS_13.jpg
HS_32.jpg
HS_41.jpg

the White Widow freebie, gave her some extra CA/MG compared with the others.
WW108.jpg

And the Chronic freebie, healthy bushy short plant.
Chronic25.jpg

Update on the stars of this thread the 5 ladies under top LED COB+UFO supplemental

53 days of flower.

First up is the Brainstorm, it sure has that stink but buds are smallest of bunch. Few amber showing, but not maturing as fast as I thought.
BS34.jpg
BS_close5.jpg

bs_macro.jpg

The choco Chunk has some nice dense frosty nugs, but nothing too special. This may be first to chop within a week.
CC30.jpg
CC210.jpg
CC35.jpg
CC_macro.jpg

The Double Berry has a VERY nice berry smell, go figure, she still has some clear so may go another 2-3 weeks. I may end up saving a cut of this strain for that smell. she is the 2nd best plant of the 5 imo.
DB9.jpg
DB27.jpg
DB_Macro.jpg

The REAL star of the show, Hawaiian Snow. Shown by the number of pictures, I love this pheno :circle-of-love:. She has some clear and still pushing pistils, so I am saying 2-3 weeks.
HS110.jpg
HS28.jpg
HS52.jpg
HS_33.jpg

Hs_42.jpg
HS_6.jpg
Hs_23.jpg
Hs_42.jpg
Hs_macro1.jpg
Hs_macro2.jpg

Super cheese's cheesy smell got stronger last few days, she is probably the closest of the 5 to chop. Nothing special but nice buds.
SC_14.jpg
SC_24.jpg
SC_Macro.jpg

Small yield, potent buds. It's very nice to see the amount of strains you have growing. Looking forward to smoke updates on those ;)

Thank you and I agree, except the Hawaiian Snow, that plant is going to produce well for how big it is I think. Those buds are rock hard.

I like variety, but it makes growing consistently much harder for me so far. I think I be happy when i get 3-4 flower tents with 1 or 2 big girls a piece in them, each different strain.

very nice dude. I knew from the start you would love that hawaiian snow.

LOL, thanks man, yea I want to see if I can eventually grow a nice pounder plant of the Hawaiian Snow, have to see how much yield I get out of this little one first, I am thinking ~2 Oz, heck that one big top may end up being a 1/4-1/2 by its self.

Back
Top Bottom