DIY Grow Box 2nd Grow

Noooo! Don't water cure!!! There's a lot of nice sounding propaganda out there about water curing but I'll tell you from first hand experience that it sucks the magical essence out of your pot!

I'll give you one example. (I have a friend who was obsessed with refining the water curing method and ended up abandoning it after about 8 tries or so.)

He first tried bubblegum. Everyone knows that bubblegum is popular because of it's sweet, almost bubble gum like taste. Because of the abundance of terpenes in this strain, sometimes it's a little bit more harsh than other smokes.

Because of this reason, my friend first tried the water curing method. Out of a roughly 1.5lb harvest, he only tried to water cure about an ounce, just for comparative purposes.

The difference between the two batches was night and day. The properly cured stuff tasted sweet and a little spicy with a bit of a thick smoke and a cough to accompany it.

The water cured stuff tasted like I was smoking an ultra-light cigarette with no tobacco in it. No taste. Well, I take that back.. without the terpenes the taste was smokish. No body. No "thickness" to the smoke. The best way to describe it is "watered down weed."

We tried some in a vaporizer... it helped a little bit with the taste.

Overall ruling: I like a tiny bit of harshness to my smoke, it reminds me I'm smoking something. I also like full flavored buds. Half-ass, watered down flavored buds taste like crap.

EDIT: If you DO decide to try the water curing method, use your oven or a dehydrator or something similar to dry the buds as QUICK as possible.

You you get high off of the batch that was water cured?

Thanks for that info Bong!!

I want to do more research on it!!

Oh yeah, get stoned like mad. Doesn't destroy the thc. In fact, I've read some pretty convincing posts that claim that it actually increases the potency.

But still... it tastes like shit!

Oh yeah, get stoned like mad. Doesn't destroy the thc. In fact, I've read some pretty convincing posts that claim that it actually increases the potency.

But still... it tastes like shit!

Thanks bong

I still might try it with a couple buds to be water cured, I really want to try it!!

It can't taste any worse than when you don't air cure the buds right anyway....lol

I guess what happens is the chlorophyll is removed via osmosis. As we know, THC does not dissolve in water, so this method preserves the THC. Since THC degrades only a bit slower than chlorophyll, it stands to reason that the buds will be more potent. However, the kicker is that the terpenes that give pot it's different tastes ARE water soluable and you will lose the majority of these in the process.

Another reason the buds may become a bit more potent is that the final dry weight of water cured buds are considerably less than of tradational air cured buds. (I think the reason is that so much more is removed from the buds using the water method.) But, both methods will produce aprox. the same amount of THC.

Hey MI.

Just popping in. The new setup looks clutch!

Know you've had some up's and down's but the donated clones from GMT back at x-mas look like it'll be doing the trick!

Big up's man!
SF

I like the new set as well. Yup the clones that GMT was kind enough to give to us will do the trick for a long time..

Always good to hear from ya SF

I heard that water cured bud makes for better tasting cannabutter - i'm definitely trying that!

I never made cannabutter, I'll have to google to find out how to make it..

I guess what happens is the chlorophyll is removed via osmosis. As we know, THC does not dissolve in water, so this method preserves the THC. Since THC degrades only a bit slower than chlorophyll, it stands to reason that the buds will be more potent. However, the kicker is that the terpenes that give pot it's different tastes ARE water soluable and you will lose the majority of these in the process.

Another reason the buds may become a bit more potent is that the final dry weight of water cured buds are considerably less than of tradational air cured buds. (I think the reason is that so much more is removed from the buds using the water method.) But, both methods will produce aprox. the same amount of THC.

WOW bong are you an encyclopedia!! Thanks for all of that very useful infomation my friend.

So I went out and bought a couple more 42 watt {2800K} cfl bulbs {equal to 200 watts each}. So now I have 18,900 lumins and 1,005 total watts in our 2x3 grow area. It is really bright in there. I hope my ladies will love it.. Maybe I'll try to get some photos posted later today or so.....

Is that enough light or should I get a few more bulbs? I know OMM said he has 38,000 lumins, but I'm not sure I need all of that for our area.

Noooo! Don't water cure!!! There's a lot of nice sounding propaganda out there about water curing but I'll tell you from first hand experience that it sucks the magical essence out of your pot!

I'll give you one example. (I have a friend who was obsessed with refining the water curing method and ended up abandoning it after about 8 tries or so.)

He first tried bubblegum. Everyone knows that bubblegum is popular because of it's sweet, almost bubble gum like taste. Because of the abundance of terpenes in this strain, sometimes it's a little bit more harsh than other smokes.

Because of this reason, my friend first tried the water curing method. Out of a roughly 1.5lb harvest, he only tried to water cure about an ounce, just for comparative purposes.

The difference between the two batches was night and day. The properly cured stuff tasted sweet and a little spicy with a bit of a thick smoke and a cough to accompany it.

The water cured stuff tasted like I was smoking an ultra-light cigarette with no tobacco in it. No taste. Well, I take that back.. without the terpenes the taste was smokish. No body. No "thickness" to the smoke. The best way to describe it is "watered down weed."

We tried some in a vaporizer... it helped a little bit with the taste.

Overall ruling: I like a tiny bit of harshness to my smoke, it reminds me I'm smoking something. I also like full flavored buds. Half-ass, watered down flavored buds taste like crap.

EDIT: If you DO decide to try the water curing method, use your oven or a dehydrator or something similar to dry the buds as QUICK as possible.

Why would you want to smoke the chorophyll anyway? Yea the end product is tasteless and odorless. But that's a known fact. If you water cure, you will be losing the taste and aroma. It sounds like your friend didn't know that before he water cured. Water curing also gives you more refined & slightly more potency. The smoke isn't as thick because its healthier for you. Thicker smoke looks great if you're in a music video or something but it takes a toll on your lungs. Don't get it twisted, everyone loves to have that up in smoke look, but just because the smoke isnt as thick doesnt mean you aren't getting a good product or arent clearing good hits.
You and your friends mistake was watercuring Bubblelicious to begin with. I wouldn't recommend that anyone water cure a strain like Bubble or any strain that is known for distinct aroma/taste characteristics. Water curing makes for fantastic steatlth smoke, and you can add it to food without the food turning all green or tasting weird because of all the chorophyll. I understand you'd be upset because of a flavorless Bubble. But everything has its pros and cons.
Water curing also helps a very good amount of the carcinogens that are in the plant matter. Have you ever seen water that came from the first 3-4 days of water curing? Bro that shit is like dark green :cough: Its all tomato/tomah-toe tho. Everyone does what works for them.

My friendly suggestion to ya MI is to not listen to any of us actually :biglaugh: You can water cure a nug in a jar if you want. Water cure some and dont water cure the other decide for yourself which you prefer. ;):blushsmile:

My friendly suggestion to ya MI is to not listen to any of us actually :biglaugh: You can water cure a nug in a jar if you want. Water cure some and dont water cure the other decide for yourself which you prefer. ;):blushsmile:

I was planning on just that my friend. I was going to try a couple buds in water and the rest will most likely be air cured. I want to see what the big deal is.....

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject Dro!!

No doubt bro. Water curing is a preference thing. You may like it ;). Nice purchase with the bulbs too:slide: You can always add more light if heat doesn't become an issue, but you should definitly rock with what you have for a while. Them 42 watters are great. In the start of my first grow I was using CFLs and i had two of the 42watters and 12 26w bulbs for 5 plants. The 42wers kick butt.

:goodluck:

Well it's day 32 of 12/12 for our lovely lady right here....
003301.JPG

I think this might be one of my better/clearer pictures.. She looks very healthy with alot of nice colas forming. They are very dense, compact and smell so sweet and fruity. :smokin: I can not wait for her to mature and get cut down..

She is really enjoying those 540 watts (10,900 lumins) right above her head. I only wish I could get a close up of all the crsytals {frosted flakes} just gliming and covering everything, buds, leaves and the stems. Yea boy it's on now, she still has about 40 days left, give or take so we will se though.

Here is our other lovely lady at only day 5 of 12/12.
005284.JPG

She recieved a little lst today as well as had a trim. I snipped out some of the under brush. That way to make the upper branches recieve more energry to grow. No sign of white pistols yet but we're eagerly awaiting those beautiful signs to show. She has 465 total watts (6300 lumins) over her head. Time will tell.

Well that's the update for today..

Have a good one 420!!!

No doubt bro. Water curing is a preference thing. You may like it ;). Nice purchase with the bulbs too:slide: You can always add more light if heat doesn't become an issue, but you should definitly rock with what you have for a while. Them 42 watters are great. In the start of my first grow I was using CFLs and i had two of the 42watters and 12 26w bulbs for 5 plants. The 42wers kick butt.

:goodluck:

What's up Dro,

Man those 42 watters are nice lights, I'm got 3 of them now and it's really bright in there. It looks like I might l have to go get more lights for when then clones get flowered. I was thinking when I actualy build our light I plan on adding maybe one or two more. That wont be for a while though.

Always good to hear from ya bro..

Thank you Bong, because I read it your statement and was just about to quote you on it. We all have our opinions and every-one is entilted to speak their minds. Dro does state a very well important fact please dont water cure Bubblegum or any other Medication with what you grow, if what you want to have that flavor and smell and all that comes with it...

I understand about your story and the point of view you intended....

Yeah, that's fine. But lets leave the attitude and assumptions out of it, right? =D

Unless I misunderstand the purpose of the post, which is possible too... at any rate, your grow journal is not the place for me to vent frustration.

Don't mind me Dro, I'm a little grumpy today!

I was not trying to be rude or have an attude with my statement. I understand having those type of days, Lord knows I have plenty of them.

I hope your day gets better bro!!

It's all good Bong!!:bigtoke:

Yeah, that's fine. But lets leave the attitude and assumptions out of it, right? =D

Unless I misunderstand the purpose of the post, which is possible too... at any rate, your grow journal is not the place for me to vent frustration.

Don't mind me Dro, I'm a little grumpy today!

Thats cool of you to be able to see how things can be misconstrude. +reps to you Bong. Your a good person.:bravo:

Back
Top Bottom