Donpaul.p's Latest 400 Watt HPS Grow

Re: Donpaul.p's latest 400watt hps grow,

right their all uploaded, didnt think i took that many pics but their is over 50, so just writing descriptions now then my next post will have all the pics you been waiting for,

here are the pics your waiting for, these first few pics are the clones, seedlings, reveg etc etc, all these are grown under cfls, the others are under hps but ill tell you which ones when we get to them

these first couple of clones are from my own attempt at making fem seeds, so far all the seeds i have planted from my attempt at fem seeds have all been fem.
PICT2882.JPG

PICT2883.JPG

again this pic below is clones from my attempt at fem seeds, these 2 clones where taken to test if they would root without a dome, i thought the one was about dead so took another clones and planted it next to it again with no dome over either, both survived and just started growing, i would not recomend this method to anyone as it took way to long, i was just trying to do it how i did it years ago as i never used domes and my clones lived, so tried it with these 2 and both lived and now rooted, strongets clone will stay in that pot the weaker one ill try and remove and repot
PICT2884.JPG

the plants these clones where taken from will be further down as their in flower so you will know what cross they are in later pics

another thing i have found with clones is that the smaller the stem above ground the quicker they tend to root, below ground level is less than an inch of stem, i only took small clones this time round as these was the little popcorn bud branches below canopy so not much to clone, but they lived and rooted,
this is side view showing height
PICT2885.JPG

below is a big bud #2. this was a free seed from herbies from one of the first purchases i made, again herbies is by far the best place i have bought seeds from, give herbies a try and you wont go anywhere else for your seeds, fast delivery, low prices and plenty of free seeds with every order even if you just buy 1 seed you get 3 free,
PICT2887.JPG

PICT2888.JPG

below is 2 x sleestack cross skunk regular seeds, again free from herbies, why 2 seeds you ask, well i planted 1 seed and after 14 days nothing sprouted, so i planted another and then that sprouted 3 days later and the other sprouted 2 days after that, so 2 seeds but both reg so might end up with 1 male and 1 fem, if their both fem ill use one for clones and keep the other in that pot,
PICT2889.JPG

PICT2890.JPG

below is a monster cropped sour diesel, its been harvested and now under cfls to reveg,
PICT2891.JPG

now this one below is one of my own attempt at femenised seeds,
now the plant i got pollen from was an ak47 male cross with uk cherry cheese female, i got these free from a seed company ages ago as a sample, they did not bring the strain out or if they have they might of given it a decent name as the smoke is top shelf and a nice plant to grow,
so this is what i did.
1, flowered an ak47 cross uk cherry cheese female,
2, harvested it and left about the bottom 1/4 on the plant basically all the small popcorn buds then it went back under flower,
3, kept it in flower so it went way past the point of harvest and small bananas started growing, not like the normal male flowers on a male plant these where like mini bananas, so kept flowering it till these was ready to open, collected all pollen from bananas and used this on fem plants, im told this produces fem seeds without the hermi trait, if the plant turns hermie on its own then the resulting seeds will more than likely be hermie when grown, but using this method produces fem seeds or so im told, but so far its worked out ok and gave me all fem plants so far,

so this pic below is the pollen from the ak47 x uk cherry cheese fem and i put this pollen on a femenised afgan kush, this pic is the plant from that cross, i crossed 3 plants using this method,
PICT2893.JPG

i start my seeds and clones under cfls as it seems to keep the nodes very close,
same plant as last pick
PICT2894.JPG

this one below is a clone from the ak47 cross uk cherry cheese, its got 2 branches growing out at soil level then 2 days ago i topped each branch so this will give me 4 main colas, i would love to know what the name of this strain is if they did actually bring it out as a new strain, i had to write a review but heard nothing back, luckily i was given 10 seeds and my last 2 seeds where male and female so pollenated the lower buds and got myself enough seeds to keep this strain around for future grows,
PICT2895.JPG

PICT2897.JPG

PICT2898.JPG

all the pictures below are from the plants under the 400watt Dual spectrum hps, the only extra in the flower room is 2x co2 generators, the basic yeast and sugar type

this plant below is the jack flash femenised, how ever im sure its male and its now taken out of the flower room, ill use it for pollen as i love this strain, ill order some more of this strain when i get chance, would love a female jack flash,
PICT2899.JPG

PICT2902.JPG

below is the bottom buds on the ak47 cross uk cherry cheese, i harvested this plant a couple of days ago but these buds where tiny so put back under lights and their putting on weight pretty quick now, should increase yield slightly,
PICT2906.JPG

PICT2907.JPG

PICT2908.JPG

below is the kc brains or kc45 auto, its kc45 auto on herbies site, i had 10 seeds all regular, this is the 4th female plant from this batch of seeds and i got 3 seeds left, this time round this auto just kept getting taller and taller, side branches stopped growing outwards and just grew strait up so ill end up with some very big buds off this auto,
PICT2910.JPG

PICT2911.JPG

PICT2912.JPG

PICT2913.JPG

PICT2914.JPG

PICT2915.JPG

below is a 2ltr dwc hempie, this flowered then i revegged it, i wont be doing this again as the harvest this time round will be less than half of what i got the first time round so after its flowered ill start again with another seed,
PICT2916.JPG

PICT2917.JPG

this one is one of my own fem seeds, its ak47 x cherry cheese crossed with fruity chronic juice, this was 12-12 from seed as i wanted to check if they turned out fem, ignore the smaller plant in the pot sitting on top of this pot ill tell you what this is further down,
PICT2918.JPG

PICT2919.JPG

PICT2920.JPG

below is a big buddhe purple cheese auto femenised,
PICT2921.JPG

PICT2922.JPG

now we get onto another of my own fem strain, this was the pollen from the ak47 x cherry cheese and the pollen went onto delicious critical sensi star, the clones at the top of my post are from this plant, its actually 2 plants in a big long rectangle tub, the bigger of the 2 plants is the cross i just mentioned the smaller plant is cherry cheese pollen cross with sour diesel,
PICT2924.JPG

the plant on the left is the sour diesel cross, the right plant is the sensi start cross, the buds are basically white, the leaves are turning white, their is so much trichs its crazy, this is why i took clones from it in case i dont get the same results with a seed from that cross, if i keep a clone going i should get these results every time,

neither of these plants have been topped, no scrog either, all i used was pipe cleaners and removed all lower branches not getting any light, so i just kept spreading the branches and kept opening the plant up, when i harvest these ill grow just 1 plant in this tub and do the same and should get similar results, not much different to a scrog,
PICT2925.JPG

PICT2926.JPG

PICT2927.JPG

this bud is the sour diesel cross, not as covered as the other plant but smells very nice
PICT2928.JPG

this shot is the sensi star side
PICT2929.JPG

sensi star is on the left
PICT2930.JPG

PICT2931.JPG

sensi star buds
PICT2932.JPG

PICT2933.JPG

PICT2935.JPG

PICT2937.JPG

PICT2938.JPG

PICT2939.JPG

PICT2942.JPG

right their you go, plenty to look at,

please feel free to make any comments or ask any questions, ill answer the best i can and for the new growers dont worry about asking basic questions as im just as happy to answer these, im not a top grower i grow for myself, i learned all i know from this site and its got me some damn good bud, so im here to pass on as much info as i can and ill do all i can to help with what ever it is you may need help with,

the only plants not above is the ken estes gdp male, this is growing elsewhere so i can collect the pollen without risking getting pollen everywhere, ill be crossing the gdp with some other purple strain, possibly the purple cheese auto i got growing, that way i may end up with a few auto seeds along with some regular seeds as the resulting seeds will not be all auto, not sure on numbers to be exact but possibly 1 in 5 will be auto so bit hit and miss,

thanks for looking,

as you can see i got plenty going on, plants in flower coming up to harvest and plants in veg ready to go under the hps on veg cycle once these others have flowered off,

under the cfls my lighting schedule is 20-4 because of the reveg, if i wasnt doing a reveg id use gas lantern routine which for those growers that dont know what it is then this is how it works,
12 hours on
5.5 hours off
1 hour on
5.5 hours off
then start again,

GLR works well and plants grow quick using glr, it also keeps electric costs down as well, now as plants grow a lot during the dark period then using glr tricks the plant into thinking its going into flower mode but the hour of light in the middle of the dark 12 hours stops it from actually flowering, it keeps the plant in rapid growth until you remove the hour of light during the dar period, then you go 12-12 to flower, i find plants show sex in less than half the time under glr, they show sex soon but dont actually go into flower, then when you do put them into flower you dont get the crazy stretch and you dont have to wait a week or 2 for it to start flowering,

so thats glr or gass lantern routine, if anyone is going to use this and is using mh bulbs for veg then its best to rig up a couple of cfls so that they come on for the 1 hour instead of the mh been used for that 1 hour, using cfls saves using the mh or hps for the 1 hour light period, i find cfls are all you need for the 1 hour period, saves money and prolongs the life of hps or mh bulb,

when i first started growing i used cfls and the grow is in my journal below, cfls work well but you need to keep the lights really close to the plants, you can have the bulb less than an inch from the plant or less as the bulbs are very cool, its best to use a reflector to reflect as much light back onto the plant, i got good results with cfls and got some very nice buds, but i was using around 400 watts in cfls so it made sense to switch to a dual spec hps 400 watt system, so i use that for flowering plants and also use it for veg for a couple of weeks before flipping the plants to flower

ill do my best to get caught up with all your journals over the next couple of days, thanks for reading my journal, if i have left any info out then please just ask and ill write it in so everyone knows what im using.

im growing in compost,
i do the odd 2ltr dwc hempie but find this method is best for 12-12 from seed and works good for just having the main cola with just 1 or 2 side branches, forcing all the growth onto the main stem and bud site really gives amazing results, i got a pic somewhere that i can show you if needed, the bud was huge and as fat as a 2ltr pop bottle, that was one of my first grows,

for nutes im using blue planet nutrients but running low now so will either place a new order or check out a hydroponics shop that just opened a couple of miles away so i might check them out and see what they got in stock.
ill update on a daily basis and answer any questions, ill probably take pics once a week,
peace,

Subbed I'm the newbie and a cheapskate DIY head:) If Kushy and smoke 2 are here thats good enough for me!:surf: Looking forward to the pic's always looking to snag a little info from an accomplished grower. :goodluck::popcorn::popcorn:

Most of us are DIY monsters!

very nice DP,:bravo: good weed to you sir!

welcome back donpaul.p.I don't know you but im sure you have a lot for me to learn.For example the pollinating plants for feminized seeds.:high-five:Thats what im talking about!:yahoo:

The Sleeskunks could be good candidates for the experiment. My last grow I grew one which produced a couple nanners very late in flower. Most of the buds have been seed free, but I've found a couple good looking seeds so far.

thanks everyone,

im a huge fan of keeping costs down so the more diy the better

@miwa, cfls will be ok mate, if its for flower then go with the standard household type the 2700k or the orange looking light as these give off the most red spectrum which helps with flower, the 6500k or 6400k cfls are best for veg but im sure you know this all ready, the best option would be a 2 to 1 ratio of cfls, so 2 x 2700k and 1 x 6400k, this done me ok for flower, keeps nodes very tight, just make sure you get the bulbs as close as possible to top of plant, if i was still flowering with cfls then id have a couple above the plants then 1 hanging either side of the plant about half way up the plant so its getting light from above and below,
so cfls will do the job and they do it well,

as for the fem seeds i was going to try that silver solution to force a fem to hermie but then someone told me to let a flowering plant over flower with no pollen, this makes the plant grow bananas so it can reproduce, its the pollen from these banana bits that make the fem seeds, if the plant grows male pollen sacs the ball type male flowers then the pollen from this will produce seeds that are prone to hermie, so letting the plant flower a few weeks to long forces these bananas to grow, its this that produces the female pollen, so far the seeds have been fem and no signs of hermie, so fingers crossed ill not have any problems

i had a good look at this jack flash plant today, it was a fem seed i bought and it looked male, well i had a good look with microscope and its a hermie, it grew male parts first but is now showing white pistils, so no good for pollen and no good for growing so looks like its going in the bin, last thing i need is hermie pollen going everywhere,

ill try and catch up with everyones journals now so i can see what you all got going on,

dont worry about asking questions, the more you ask the more you learn, so ask what ever you like no matter how basic it is, i started this site knowing nothing but learned a lot since, so i try to pass on as much info as possible,

hey donpaul im really interested in hitting a few branches withe cs,but i would lke to try the method you have tried sounds very do able for me,DIY i like that way of doing things.Im learning every time i get on here or read a journal.I have a question,how do you handle the pollen.Q tip?:hmmmm:

yep que tip or small paint brush,

i was going to go cs method but when i was told to let the plants over flower and let it produce these banana pollen pods and use that pollen, basically i harvest most the plant and left the bottom quater or just under and then put it back under 12-12, then i kept it flowering until the plant was way past harvest and it produces these bananas, they grow out of the buds and not at the nodes like male pollen sacs, so you need to let these banana sacs ripen and start to open, i then placed a sandwich bag over the bananas and cut them off and let the pollen fall in the bag,

i only tried this method with 1 plant and it worked, the bananas grew and gave me pollen, i then put this pollen on the lower buds on some of my fem plants and harvested the seeds when they was ready, just make sure the pollen does not become air born, what i did was remove the fem plant from the flower room and put it in another room, then use paint brush and dip it in the pollen and gently brush it on a few of the lower buds, you only need to leave it a couple of hours, then its best to give the plant a good spray with water to kill any pollen that is on the plant, doing this stops it spreading in the flower room and getting on other plants, then when the plant dries off it goes back into flower and i can then harvest buds as normal but also harvest seeds as well, so far all have been fem.

i know when a fem goes hermie early on in flower it produces the normal male pollen sacs the round ones that normal males flowers have, its not this pollen you want as this will make the seeds have hermie traits, ive tried it and the seeds grew and went hermie at similar time to the mother plant, so its not this pollen you want, so you could either leave the whole plant in flower and harvest when you see the bananas growing or harvest the plant and leave some decent buds on it so the bananas can grow, they look like minature bananas and grow out the buds, its this pollen you need to make fem seeds,

ill try and find the link i was given that explains all about the f1 and all that and how it produces fem seeds,

so if you can grow these bananas which either happen late in flower or happen due to the plant not receiving pollen and going past the harvest date, eventually it will produce these bananas so the plant can reproduce, all plants should grow these bananas if left in flower long enough, ive had them grow in other fem plants towards harvest date but i just let my plant go way past harvest to get them to grow and waited a couple of weeks for them to ripen before removing them and collecting them in a bag,

so far i have found all seeds to be pollen, i have also had fem plants that have had the odd seed inside even when no pollen present, so clearly these odd seeds where due to the plant produces its own pollen without actually going hermie, so in theory it should work and has worked for me, as long as the pollen is from the banana pods and not the male pollen flowers you should be ok,

using cs is ok but it really stresses the plant and makes it go hermie, i guess it makes it produces these banana pollen sacs but i found leaving it in flower to long produces these without stressing it,

ill try find the link as it went into it a bit more than i can explain, im sure it mentioned the pollen was f1 or produced f1 seeds,

just make sure you dont put pollen on in the flower room,

take female plant into seperate room and put pollen on their, then use one of those spray bottles and wait a few hours and then spray the plant all over and let dry before putting back in flower room, i think the pollen needs to be on for about 2 hours before spraying it down then its good to spray, just remember pollen gets on your clothes etc etc and can ruin a whole flower room, just 1 male flower can pollenate all your females and all the plants that neighbours might be growing, so keep windows shut, door shut, have no fans or moving air, then pollenate the plant and give it a spray and you will be ok,

my female plants where well into flower when i put pollen on the lower branches so i harvested all the main branches at the right time and left the seeded buds on the plant for a while longer to make sure the seeds where ripe,

id say from a small lower bud you will get around 20 to 30 seeds per bud, i done about 10 buds on 4 lower branches and these buds where pretty big so i got around 300fem seeds and around 1000 regular seeds from my other cross i did with normal male pollen,
by all means give it a try, it worked for me and all plants will produce pollen if left long enough, but if a plant gets pollen on it then it wont produce these bananas as its all ready been pollenated and in seed production mode,

it only takes a careless neighbour to have a male plant outdoors or indoors and it will ruin the crop of everyone in that street, pollen spreads like crazy, ive seen growers on the net lose all the outdoor crop due to male pollen without them having a male in their grow, so 1 male plant can ruin it for everyone,

pollen stays viable for ages as long as its stored in dark dry conditions so once you have used some of the pollen you could store it for future grows, i kept some for future crosses but i got plenty of seeds to keep me going for now,

i have got a male growing that i want pollen of, i got ken estes gdp, i was hoping it was female but again its male, this is the 5th seed i bought that turned out male, so this time i didnt kill the plant ill flower it and get pollen, so i cut off all the side branches and just kept the main stem and it will give me pollen in about 2 weeks, so will be able to have some interesting gdp cross,

Back
Top Bottom