Emmie's Berry D'licious 2019 True Living Organic: No AACT, SCROG, COB, SuperSoil Production Grow & Seed Run

Very nice Emmie! Thanks for producing your grow shows, and making something to look forward to. Your writing style, and attention to detail is better than anything Cable TV has to offer.

I love the fact that your doing all of this in Missouri. I grew up there, and began my life long love of growing there. My first grow was in 73 with Mex beans, and by the time 76 came around, hightimes publication was providing simple grow tips that increased my success significantly. All my friends saved and labeled their seeds, and gave them to me on a regular basis. As Archie and Edith would say..."Those were the days".

Hi everyone... yes, we attended an event this morning and I am just now getting back. I have good news to report that our newest plant to emerge is fine, but also the bad news that between this morning and now, one of our plants has wilted down to the ground and appears to have died. I have no reason for this, especially since the other 5 plants around this one are doing fine. I am without a clue as to what happened and even though it was just 1 plant out of 6 that suffered, I think it was the heat.

Well, yay and boo!

Hi everyone... yes, we attended an event this morning and I am just now getting back. I have good news to report that our newest plant to emerge is fine, but also the bad news that between this morning and now, one of our plants has wilted down to the ground and appears to have died. I have no reason for this, especially since the other 5 plants around this one are doing fine. I am without a clue as to what happened and even though it was just 1 plant out of 6 that suffered, I think it was the heat.
WOW. What kind of temperatures are they seeing? That's crazy!

maybe i missed watering that one that morning... i don't know. Freaking scary to just up and die like that... I hate having to second guess myself.

Everyone is fine again today and all are achieving roughly the same vertical height, about the same distance the tap roots have to go to reach the bottom of the cups. That made me think of our prior discussion regarding 1:1 top and bottom growth and I would have to conclude that given optimum lighting, above and below ground movement is approximately the same, ceteris paribus.
DSCF7121.JPG
DSCF7122.JPG

clearly these seedlings have found the bottom and have started to use the water in the cups. Most of them are still quite heavy from all the daily waterings down the middle, but the two older ones are now starting to get a little lighter. I moved my postal scale into the tent and found that compared to a container of mostly dry soil, there is 174 grams of water in the lightest one. Did you know that 1gm of water equals 1 ml of water? Converting, 174 ml is 5.9 oz. When I measure again tomorrow, I will know the exact daily water use of that plant at this point in time.
Now that I know the tap root is doing its job, I will start watering properly, teasing out the water to the edges and waiting for the container to dry before a complete watering.

The hydro guys like to think that they have the market cornered on scientific growing, what with all their extra meters, pumps, timers, measurements and all. A soil grower can geek out too and can track water use exactly. Six hours ago I measured the water suspended in my soil. I just repeated the measurement and now know several very good things, mostly that there has to be a big feeder root already in action at the bottom of the cup. The weight of the cup was just measured at 148.8g and this means that 25.2g of water has been used since this morning. That converts to .85oz and dividing that by six hours I know that this little sprig is now sucking up .15oz/hr! I am going to water the outside edges tonight before bed it looks like, and I bet we see this hourly water use increase as the roots continue to develop. Look at that... Emmers can actually see inside the soil. :hmmmm:

maybe i missed watering that one that morning... i don't know. Freaking scary to just up and die like that... I hate having to second guess myself.

Everyone is fine again today and all are achieving roughly the same vertical height, about the same distance the tap roots have to go to reach the bottom of the cups. That made me think of our prior discussion regarding 1:1 top and bottom growth and I would have to conclude that given optimum lighting, above and below ground movement is approximately the same, ceteris paribus.
DSCF7121.JPG
DSCF7122.JPG

Hi @Emilya, ... I'm trying to do this right now.

I think you have your light set to 5, 000 LUX or 7, 000 LUX ... but is it also set at 16 inches above canopy?

Is it just the LUX value at canopy that is making them stretch so much?

Back
Top Bottom