First 420 Grow - CFL - Budget - Soil - NL Blue & Midnight Kush!

Ok Cronic. I read that 3 times now. Again, this time in Stupid Nincompoop language; What's a polyploid?

During my research of polyploid cannabis. I have come up with what I believe to be the initial source of this super weed. UBC Professor David Suzuki, doing genetic research (1977), created a polyploid plant (tetraploid) by treating it with colchicine based upon the work of Menzel/Brown and Warmke. This plant was originally a hybrid of Thai (sativa) x Purple Afghani (indica) and was then treated with Colchicine (Autumn Locus bulb). There are certainly other clones that were created by other breeders, especially in Hawaii, but the initial commercial tetraploid was developed in B.C. by the Canadian Government and UBC for Cancer patients. I would estimate that the THC content of polyploids to be well over 30% and maybe up to 40% if grown correctly. Fully grown mother tetraploid plants have been known to sell for $10,000. Clones have been known to sell for $1,000 in the past compared to the standard $5-7 range for diploid clones. Tetraploids are extremely difficult to clone (10-20%) unless special care is taken. The end product is far superior to anything commercially available and even compared to excellent connosseur diploid product due to the doubling of THC.

The resulting F1 hybrid seeds were then grown out and used for cancer patients at UBC. Somebody stole one of the clones that the Canadian Government and David Suzuki had created. It became famous and was then re-created and sold out east as Diesel and as OG Kush on the west coast and as ChemDawg in Colorado. These were all colchicine treated plants based upon their work and the popularity of UBC Chemo.

My understanding is that some clones were stolen. This would make more sense. Diploid and Tetraploid crosses produce Triploids that are infertile due to chromosome mismatch. These are known as "Terminator Seeds" (e.g. Diablos Pink Kush) as customers must buy seeds for each crop due to infertility. The resulting generations of seeds will be diploid. Triploids can be treated again, with Colchicine, to create a Hexaploid. This can be then crossed with a tetraploid or diploid to produce tetraploid plants again.

How To Identify Polyploids:
You can identify a polyploid be mere physical appearance and no need to examine the chromosones. Most people have never grown or smoked these real legendary plants. The gangters rap about OG Kush because they had the money to buy this extremely rare connoisseur product. Most product out there is just "wangsta OG".
Polyploid Traits: •Ducksfoot
•Four sets of leaves at the nodes
•Stretched (doubled) flowers
•Dark green leaves
•Double bud sites
•Heavy feeder
•High water consumption
•Thick meristem
•Pistil discoloration (pink pistils under black light)
•Extreme potency
•Vigour and extra growth on first generation

If your plant (OG Kush or Chemo or Pink Kush or Chem Dawg or Master Kush) does not have four sets of leaves at the nodes then it is NOT a true polyploid plant and it not the real deal. UBC Chemo is a polypolid and had four leaf internodes. These tetraploid cuttings have different names but are believed to all be the famous polyploids named OG Kush, Pink Kush, Chemdawg, Diesel, Master Kush etc. These are really heavy feeders due to the double size buds and double the number of leaves and buds and THC glands. This plant is very strange and has a chemical smell to it. UBC Chemo, for example, has a Haze and Kush taste due to the Thai sativa and Afghani indica influences. Polyploid plants are almost twice as strong as diploid plants due to the doubling of THC molecules. These plants are extremely difficult to clone and grow very slowly due to the doubling of leaves unless fed correctly. Water consumption is extremely high. If it only has two leaves then it is a normal diploid and will not have the same effect as the three molecule THC of a polyploid. Three leaves does not necessarily mean it is polyploid as it could be just whorled phyllotaxis (just created by stress, removing leaves and the subsequent regeneration of leaves is deformed). Four leaves does mean polyploid. Triploids, being sterile, must be treated to create hexaploids. These hexapolid can then be used to create seeds that will be polyploids.

WARNING: Colchicine is a extremely toxic alkaloid and is highly poisonous. Long term contact can result in white blood cell anomolies. You cannot smoke a plant that has been treated, post germination, with Colchicine. You can only consume the grown out product of the seeds. You can smoke product that was treated prior to germination. Selective breeding is not genetically modified cannabis. This is genetically modified pot as it was altered at the chromosonal level. Never treat a plant with Colchicine as it will become toxic and will eventually revert to diploid with further treatment. You are changing the molecular structure dynamically and none of the product can be consumed. The correct way is to treat the seeds.

G-13 The story on this is that it was created by the University of Mississippi under the aegis of the infamous Carlton Turner. Apparently this cannot be true as U of M never did genetic engineering. If you Google G-13 you will find it is made by Suzuki. Well David Suzuki did create a GM Genetically Modified plant - Chemo. What letter is the 13th letter of the alphabet? M. So we have G-13 or GM for genetically modified and made by Suzuki. Sounds like an great code name to me. I strongly suspect that G-13 is just the Chemo clone and yet another name for it.

I was offered a cutting of the Chemo plant in Ontario back in the mid 1980's. I had been transferred from B.C. when the recession hit. Several other people from B.C. went to Ontario as well in search of work. We brought out seeds, clones and technology with us. There was a guy who ran a Hydroponics store in Toronto that had the Chemo clone for sale. I cannot remember the price but it was FAR too much money. I did not comprehend the value of this plant at that time and thought he was crazy. Now, after having seen it, I understand.

Famous Tetraploids: •UBC Chemo
•OG Kush
•Master Kush
•Pink Kush
Tetraploid marijuana plants have a real dank smell. It is really obvious when you know what you are looking for. I do not recommend growing these plants out as they take far too long to vegetate and require more attention, food and water than normal diploid plants. They could be used in a Sea of Green method but you are really relying on the genetics and not on proper plant development of hormones for optimal THC production. The resulting product is not nearly as good as a full grown plant but it is not bad for the Sea of Green method which normally produces mediocre marijuana at best

hows this one

the problem is the seeds you buy are not a true poly, the parent that was crossed was not a poly,
what happens is this,
a poly is crossed with a regular strain to produce a stable poly strain,
then they get a male and female from these plants and cross them so you lose the poly side of it as neither parent is a poly, so to truely get the potency back then the only option is to cross a poly with a regular plant, without have a poly as one of the parents you just wont get the same results, so most of the strains now are no where near as potent as the true poly cross strains, the poly has been crossed out to produce seeds, but 1 parent needs to be a poly or you lose what your trying to produce, so for me i need a poly and to cross that, that should produce the 4 leaves at the nodes,

ive got my own ducksfoot strain but thats just a ducksfoot strain, it produces 3 leaves at the nodes instead of 2 like regular plants so possibly some form of triploid, but i crossed 2 stable strains and the seeds turned out with this ducksfoot trait, it has 3 shoots growing a the nodes, the leaves all have 3 fingers even from the first set of leaves after the round seed leaves, the 3 fingers on the leaves are joined together and looks just like a ducks foot, it dont produce any leaves with more than 3 blades and continue in flower with the same leaves, so i got that to work with, my problem is i cant get anything tested for potency, so all i can do is produce a poly that i can sample and compare with the ducks foot or even cross with the ducks foot, but for now i got my super male project going on and after i finished this ill move onto the polyploids

Progress report - Day 6

Ok guys, so the girls will be a week tomorrow :) Midnight kush is still looking healthiest, her first two leaves are really thick for a seedling! I transplanted all seedlings into their final homes. MK & NLB are sharing a 27 litre trunk and Mango Ryder is in a medium sized flower pot under a 30W red spectrum CFL because there is no room left under the blue CFL and it is going to pretty much skip veg anyway. Will put pics up on Friday. Peace :peace:

To change your user name Personal message on of the moderators and ask for your user name to be changed to whatever you please.

Thanks man. I PM'd 420 and 420 girl yesterday so should hear back soon...

Just make a new acct. All that's needed is another email address, no? I could see if you had this acct for years and have a lot of info stored in it, but it says your join date is this month, so...

Edit - & don't worry about losing your journal, you can still link your new acct signature to your old journal and all will be good. If you need some pics from acct A to be used with B, you may have to sign in as A and download them back if you don't have them stored, but this is just a work around. I'd try to change it first, but if that proves too difficult, you have another option.

Just make a new acct. All that's needed is another email address, no? I could see if you had this acct for years and have a lot of info stored in it, but it says your join date is this month, so...

Edit - & don't worry about losing your journal, you can still link your new acct signature to your old journal and all will be good. If you need some pics from acct A to be used with B, you may have to sign in as A and download them back if you don't have them stored, but this is just a work around. I'd try to change it first, but if that proves too difficult, you have another option.
Agreed! Probably save a lot of time & effort. Take my word for it.

Thanks man. I PM'd 420 and 420 girl yesterday so should hear back soon...
Your user name has been adjusted. Please let me know if you need anything else. I'm happy to help. :Namaste:

Good luck! It took me nearly 5 months of haggling with the MODS to change mines.
Really? My records show that it took me 16 days to change your name and reply to you (and it only took that long because I was backed up on other tasks I needed to complete first). And I don't remember there being any haggling. :hmmmm:

Anyways, good luck with the rest of your grow, PerthPiper! :cheer:

Your user name has been adjusted. Please let me know if you need anything else. I'm happy to help. :Namaste:

Really? My records show that it took me 16 days to change your name and reply to you (and it only took that long because I was backed up on other tasks I needed to complete). And I don't remember there being any haggling. :hmmmm:

Anyways, good luck with the rest of your grow, PerthPiper! :cheer:

:thanks: 420 Girl. I really appreciate it

Nice new name PerthPiper.

Update - Day 12

Ok so here we are, 12 days since seeds emerged. Midnight kush is still looking the best in my opinion, No stretching and nice dark green :) Northern light blue is the smallest so far and the Sugar mango is just looking strange lol. Temps are still stable, getting chilly at night but that is their only real stress so I feel they can handle it. No nutes yet. They are still under 100W blue CFL and 30w or 40w red CFL in there just for additional light. Penny for your thoughts?

MIDNIGHT KUSH
20140112_160752.jpg
20140112_160742.jpg

NORTHERN LIGHT BLUE
20140112_160812.jpg
20140112_160807.jpg

SUAGER MANGO RYDER
20140112_160639.jpg
20140112_160635.jpg

Note - The little damage on SMR is from seed casing coming off.

Back
Top Bottom