First 420 Grow - CFL - Budget - Soil - NL Blue & Midnight Kush!

PerthPiper

Hey guys, big fan of the journals on this site and now I am determined to complete a successful indoor grow journal. Growing in miracle grow 50/50 with perlite. The 3 seeds are 'G13 MIDNIGHT KUSH' 'DELICIOUS NORTHERN LIGHTS BLUE' & 'W.O.S. SUGAR MANGO RYDER' which was a freebie from attitude and will be grown on a photo period light schedule. Veg stage will be under a 100W blue spectrum cfl with reflector. This is a budget grow so I only have a closet with an air vent, white walls and a light with reflector. All seeds emerged from the soil today and are now under 20/4 lighting in baby pots. Temps are around 25c and 60% hum. Will post pics maybe Friday :) any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

re: First 420 Grow - CFL - Budget - Soil - NL Blue & Midnight Kush!

I'm here, but that does seem a little hot for them no? Is it possible to move the light a bit higher - after all they are newborns, so they don't need all of those lumens yet?

xx

We like budget grows on here Scotty

Count me in :popcorn:

Edit: In would advise you get that temp down somewhat.

That's good to know :) . Temps are stable at about 21c for now, sorry typo should say 25c at beginning. Shouldn't have waked and baked lol

OK, great stuff. I thought we were off cooking there :)

Tell me about it lol its January and im in Scotland, I wish it was 35 degrees :)

:popcorn:

I'm spreading the word for ya Scotty mate.

Hopefully some of the Guys n Gals will stop by soon.

Thanks for looking in Reg. (B A R)

subbed.

Thanks for all the interest guys :high-five: awesome! I will definitely get pics up tomorrow. The MK is the biggest so far and all have shed their seed casings.

Welcome to :420: Perth
Happy Thurweed day Subbed :thumb:

welcome to 420,

i used to be a cfl grower from seed to harvest and you can produce some very nice bud using cfls,

happy growing

Thanks man. I have a 125w red spectrum cfl and a little 35w one for when I switch to flowering. Hopefully enough lumens for some dankness :ganjamon:

you need the 6400k spectrum for veg
and the 2700k spectrum for flower,

so the white light or blue light as its sometimes called is the veg stage light, the red spectrum light is for flower, if you use the red spectrum in veg your plants will end up stretching a lot.

the cfls i used was all the low watt kind, the 23 watt is about the best watt to lumin ratio for the lower wattage cfls, as i was using the lower wattage ones i used a mixture of both spectrums so the plants was getting a full spectrum for both stages of growth.

the more cfls you can get around the plant the better, ive not used the higher wattage cfls but i know i needed a good few of the 23 and 30actual watt cfls and when i grew more than 2 or 3 plants i had no choice but to switch to a dual spec hps as i was running over 400watts with the cfls and getting less lumins compared with 400watt hps so it made sense for me to switch,

so if your growing just 1 or 2 plants max then you will get results with cfls, it wont be as good as hid lighting but i was happy with he results and was pulling between 1 and 2oz dry per plant from just using cfls and nothing else so its perfecly possible to get results,

you also need to consider side lighting for the plant, the light penetration for cfls is not that good so as the plant gets bigger you will need to have cfls above the plant then some smaller cfls down the sides of the plant/s to make sure its getting as much light as possible.

for veg you want 6400k or 6500k cfls or these are often called work light or daylight cfls,
for flower you want the soft white or 2700kelvin cfls, these are cheap to buy from most hardware shops and super markets, i found big problems getting the veg stage lights and had to order them from the net,

if you look in my signature below you will find my cfl journal at the bottom, thats one of the first grows i did and theirs plenty of info in their and you will see the kind of results i was getting with cfls,

plenty of great info in their as i knew nothing at all about growing when i started that journal,

^^ Thanks for all the info man. Yeah I have 100w blue (6400) which is on them now and a 125w & 45w red (2700) for flower. I wish I had went the route of more smaller ones but it will do for now. Would love some side lights like you said but money is tight.. maybe a cheap led panel could suffice. Your first journal is wicked, I am about 20 pages in :)

i still use cfls for my seedlings and clones as cfls tend to keep the node spacing very tight,

i got a lot of my cfls from my energy supplier for free or from vouchers out the paper, i found it very easy to get the 2700k cfls for next to nothing as most 99p or £1 or $1 stores should sell them in packs of 2 or 3, it was the 6400k lights that i found expensive and could only buy online, so for flower you could get some cheap 20watt cfls from super markets or discount stores, i ended up with way to many lights in the end and doing lots of diy to make lighting rigs to hold the lights above the plants so it wasnt the safest set up but it was all i had to work with at the time,

when i grew more plants i found cfls just wasnt covering the space i needed, but for 1 or 2 plants then they work out ok, just make sure your not wasting any light and have it all directed back onto the plant/s,

my 1st journal was my first real grow so the start is not all that good but it gets better as i learned more along the way,

Back
Top Bottom