Flower Child's First Grow: Seeds- Soil- MH-HPS Sun- 2013

Flower Child

Hi All and welcome to my first journal. I decided to join this website as it seems to have a lot of mature growers near my own age and everyone here is so nice and helpful. I was first introduced to this wonderful plant in 1972 but never grew it till now. I'm lucky to live in Colorado and it is legal to have 3 flowering plants per person. Three adults in my house means I can have 9 plants for my garden, which must be indoors. Anyway on to the basics:

Strains- are Pineapple Chunk and THC Bomb- all feminized.
Soil- was Light Warrior for seedlings, then FFOF in 3.4 gal Air Pots.
Lights- they are under a 400 MH 18-6 ;soon to be a 600 HPS for 12-12.
Room- a 4x4 tent with exhaust fan, oscillating fan, and humidifier- temps 68-79 and 26-60% humidity.
Nutrients- so far have been Age Old Grow and water is city tap- ph'ed down to a 7.
Pests- Fungus Gnats are in houseplants in other area of house due to new soil- so far only a couple made it into the tent which the sticky traps caught.

I had bad luck with seedlings- over fertilized and killed a batch in March. I decided to try again and these sprouted on April 3. They did ok for a week and a half but then almost died from starvation and lost their cotyledons and first set of leaves before I finally fed them at 2 weeks. They spent the next 4 weeks as sickly seedlings. Each plant had multiple problems including wilting leaves, praying leaves, curled up edges, clawed down edges, puffy looking areas, pale leaves, yellow leaves, striped leaves, red stems, purple stems, purple striped stems, yellow spots, brown spots, and pointy dark green jagged irregular edges on some leaves. I wanted to transplant them into their permanent pots but they always looked too droopy to touch. I gave them seaweed then watered in some azomite dust to help with the deficiencies but it did nothing. Out of desperation I retested their tap water and discovered after it sits a couple days the ph rises to 8.5. I used PH Down to get their water down to a 7 and within 2 days they recovered enough I could transplant them. A week later and their weird symptoms are all but gone and they have nearly tripled in size. WOW ph really matters even with organic soil. I am not fertilizing them at the moment because the Fox Farm soil is supposed to have enough nutes for a few weeks. Will post some pics shortly.

Seedlings
IMG_20130403_140223.jpg

nute def at 4-5weeks
IMG_20130514_002503.jpg

right before transplant
IMG_20130512_230012.jpg

right after
IMG_20130514_002503.jpg

4 days later
IMG_20130520_095448.jpg

its name is stripe but only 2 leaves remain that way fortunately
IMG_20130520_095631.jpg

Ok so I topped 8 of them a couple days ago. The THC Bombs loved it and have 2 new tops each! However the Pineapple chunks not so much- they seem to be stunted and the new growth at their tops is tiny and deformed on all but one. I hope I didn't ruin them?

unhappy topped Pineapple chunk
IMG_20130521_181910.jpg

Happy topped THC bomb
IMG_20130521_181824.jpg

All of them last nite
IMG_20130521_182215.jpg

Any comments, questions or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Im a super noob so take this for what its worth. Have you given them any nitrogen? They look a little pale. Also dnt worr about ruining them. Plants are prett damn hearty. Even if you tie them down, put a screen on top of them, pull almost all the leaves off, they try to survive. Worst case seems to be stressing into hermies. I think you will do great. Maybe check the nutes but thats my only suggestion.
:goodjob:

Hi Spimp! Thanks for taking a look at my plants. I haven't fertilized them since they were transplanted into the fox farm ocean forest 10 days ago and its supposed to feed them for a month. Before that they were in soil without nutes so i fed them but they had a love/hate relationship with it because of the ph problems I was having at the time. The MH light makes them look yellow they are really nice and green. And speaking of hermies I wonder if this one in the making?
IMG_20130523_180652.jpg

Heres a few more pics of a few of the girls
these are THC bombs
IMG_20130523_173917.jpg
IMG_20130523_173931.jpg
IMG_20130523_171627.jpg
their definitely girls
IMG_20130523_174306.jpg
And the Pineapple chunks
IMG_20130523_175024.jpg
IMG_20130523_175445.jpg
IMG_20130523_172917.jpg
also girls except for the questionable one in the prior post

Im not sure about the hermie. Could b a girl, Im a noob. But from what i understand, you have some time before you have to chop if it is a hermie. You can wait a week or two before you cull to make sure its not a girl. Unless you plan on making some seeds.

Im not sure about the hermie. Could b a girl, Im a noob. But from what i understand, you have some time before you have to chop if it is a hermie. You can wait a week or two before you cull to make sure its not a girl. Unless you plan on making some seeds.

Males have pollen sacs so a hermy has both pollen sacs and hairs!
Screen_shot_2011-02-17_at_1_25_47_PM_preview.png

This is a good picture of pollen sacks.

hermaphrodite-cannabis-300x239.jpg

this is an excellent picture of a hermy, it will have both hairs and pollen sacks. So keep an eye out, and if you see this type of growth throw a plastic garbage bag over it and very very carefully get it away from the others. Remember pollen can travel through air conditioning vents so get it isolated. That is unless you want to make a ton of seeds for future grows if you don't understand cloning.

Welcome Gleipnir thanks for the pics and info. These girls of mine were pretty stressed for their first 6 weeks so I worry a bit about what that did to them. I take them out of the tent for a inspection every few days. The one I'm suspicious of is also the tallest, has the least leaves and absolutely did not like being topped- no new tips growing.
Oh and Spimp- I will definitely wait a week or so before making any decisions. I'm going to start the 12-12 light schedule this weekend and that should help speed things up. I just don't want seeds. At least not this first round.

Welcome Gleipnir thanks for the pics and info. These girls of mine were pretty stressed for their first 6 weeks so I worry a bit about what that did to them. I take them out of the tent for a inspection every few days. The one I'm suspicious of is also the tallest, has the least leaves and absolutely did not like being topped- no new tips growing.
Oh and Spimp- I will definitely wait a week or so before making any decisions. I'm going to start the 12-12 light schedule this weekend and that should help speed things up. I just don't want seeds. At least not this first round.

No worries unless the pollen sacks burst. So in reality you can wait until they develop, but as soon as they are spotted get it away from your girls.

Yes I have Pat as I call her in the front row so I can keep an eye on her. They are growing so fast. Three of then are at 14" now- thats 2" in little more than a day! I am definitely flipping them to the flower schedule this weekend. :)

Found three of the pineapple chunks tonite with a few green clawed tips and a couple tips turned up. I think its a ph problem because of what I found when I watered them ph'ed water last nite. The run-off was a ph of 5ish and I think thats too low. From what I've researched it appears that the FFOF soil will do that. Now I'm wondering if I should let the pineapple chunks get regular un-ph'ed water (ph 8.5) to see if it helps them. The thc bombs are fine- no issues at all!

Ive dealt with two major PH issues. I dont think thats a good idea. Im not an expert, but my experience is PH is crazy fast acting. So making the soil ph+ doesnt matter as much. It would be a dose of low and a dose of high. When it hits the roots it doesnt get time to 'mix'. I suggest plain Correctly Ph flush or watering only til the drink that batch. Ive had two issues on one grow only so not alot of experience. i highly advice u find a thread with a similarr problem and see what happens. Im a first timer so take it with a grain of salt...:bitingnails:

Howdy Flower Child, I dont think that one plant is a Pat . well not yet:)
hope you have a great weedend and a safe Holiday.

Thanks everyone! :thanks:
Well Guys tonite is the night! I just reset the timer and I'm going to clean the tent and change the bulb just before lights come on. I am so psyched to have them finally in flower.:yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom