Grow #2 - Looking for Gold - Columbian Gold

faderharley

Hey Everybody

Grow #2, searching for gold

Strain Selection:
I searched around seedbanks, forums, strain/grow/smoke reports and had one hell of a time trying to determine what strain to go with next. On my 1st grow I lost track of the 4 strains, white widow, carnival, big bud and kandahar, I germinated, but ended up w/6 feminized plants. I had a fairly good harvest for my first time out, but the bud does not vary that much in taste, smell and high. I thought I surely ended up w/2 strains, but some days, I think it's all of 1 strain. I germinated each strain 3 times with a possibility of 12 plants, ended up w/6 plants. Mathical odds are at least 2 strains out of 4 had to make it. Sooo I sent an email to the seedbank where I bought the seeds. They stated that during that time of the year, they had a troubled employee, he may have screwed w/my order. Well needless to say, I may have gotten screwed. I'm still working w/them on this matter, more about this later. BTW ordered Grow #2 seeds somewhere else.

Grow #2 feminized strain selection is:

Red Dragon, 90% sativa, 10% indica, 23% thc
Columbian Gold, 75% sativa, 25% indica, 20% thc
Critical Kali Mist, 80% sativa, 20% indica, 21% thc
Mazar x White Rhino, 60% indica, 40% sativa, 20% thc
Unknown feminized freebees

Note: Columbian Gold I plan to keep as a main strain, if I am successful in growing it. When I was in my early 20's I was able to buy an oz of it now and then, it ran $40 bucks for gold, compared to $20 bucks for regular weed, seeds, stems and all. When I got my hands on CG, all bud, no seeds, great taste and a great buzz.

Upgrades for Grow #2:

I found a false wall on the back side of my grow closet, I removed it. I picked up an extra foot in depth. Also because I use the large spiral CFLs w/clamp fixtures, I had built a wooden ribbing for the closet, now I can place my lights everywhere, up/down and around. I am installing 2 or 3 wall mount fixtues w/2 cfls each for my back wall. The entire closet interior will be lit, top, side, back and below. Photos in a few

Aero-Hydro upgrades:
Going with a little different grow box set-up, more on that later w/ photos...

Lighting upgrades:
Back wall-mount dual cfls, 2700 k range. Flowering stage plan to use up to 50% 6500k range, instead of 25% as I did on the 1st grow, I believe it helps fatten up those colas.

Grow procedure upgrade:
This grow I am going to prune away the undergrow. I want my gals to get all the nutes I can give-em, besides I ended w/alot of it on my first grow. I did not top my plants either on my 1st run, this time I will. I plan to re-generate my 2nd grow, see what comes of that as well. Have an area of 8ft x 10ft x 10ft maybe moving my flowering stage of the grow to this area, using the other as seedling/vegetation area. Can't decide w/that one yet, get back to ya on that one as well..

Germination Date:
Coming Soon to a Grow Closet near you :smokin:

Re: Grow #2, Looking for Gold, Columbian Gold

Got most of my seeds, closet is ready, going on line this upcoming Sunday. First day of the week, and with some skill, some luck, I hope to be starting in the flowering stage in 5 weeks

P7130006.JPG
P7130003-1.JPG
P7130001.JPG

I have a few more strains still coming via the mail. All together, I'll have 12 strains to work with. Have 12 grow baskets :)

Day before I germinate, I know I'm going with 2 Columbian Gold, 2 Red Dragon, 2 Critical Kali Mist, 2 Mazar x White Rhino, 1 Blue Widow, 1 Royal Haze, tommorrow. It looks like 1 White Widow and 1 Carnival will take up the slack to complete 12 plants. Suppose to recieve some more seeds, strains are unknown at this time, but I can hold off a day or so, as long as I germinate those within the next few days. Also if all goes well, I be moving those 12 plants into the new flowering room and germinate the awaited seeds then.
I start my weekly count whenever the seed breaks thru and roots, generaly that will be week 1. Well shit, need to smoke a bowl and put the Harley up for the night.

Sorry about the delays. My Lymes disease has had me down for alittle while. Had to replace/build both micro-sprayers and finish a dozen other items, but we are good to go now. I'm still uncertain about having enough depth in my newly revized growboxes. Have to wait and see once the roots settle at the bottom of the growbox hope they don't become root-bound.

An update or too, Ministry of Cannabis claims via an email sent on 09-20-10 they sent seeds on the 10th of September, stating also that this issue is over with. 1st time they said the seeds were sent 10 days ago, which was on an eamail on 09-10-10. Hell, they can not even keep their lies straight. If I would see any seeds from them, plan to toss them w/the ones I got on my 1st order back in March 2010. Hate it when people screw over the handicapt. Really hoping they go out of business.

Germination Date 09-22-10
Strains/seeds: Columbian Gold, tagged CG, 3 feminized seeds
Red Dragon, tagged RD, 3 feminized seeds
Critical Kali Mist, tagged CKM, 2 feminized seeds
Mazar x White Rhino, MWR, 2 feminized seeds
Blue Widow, tagged BW, 1 feminized seed
Royal Haze, tagged RH, 1 feminized seed

Stand-by BubbleDelicious, tagged BD, ? regular seed

Germination Procedure.
Using distilled water with the PH set at 6.0, I saturate the 12 2"x2" rockwool. Let sit for a few hours, then shake excess water, place seed in rockwool, place in clear cover pan, place clear cover over pan, dark towell over the cover, set pan on heating pad, which is set for low.

Aeroponic-Hydroponic Operation:
Once my seedling roots thru the rockwool I place her in her designated grow basket, located in/on growbox 1 or 2. Solution pump located in solution tote box sends oxynated distilled water mixed with fertizer and micro nutrients to the micro-sprayers located inside of growbox 1 or 2. Gravity return flows back to the solution box. The micro-sprayer sprays these nutes onto the roots that are suspened within the growbox. This cycle is done 6 times per hour, 24 hours a day. I have my pump set to come on 1 minute/off 10 minutes, 24 hours per day.

P7260002.JPG
P7260004.JPG

Nutreints:
My nutreints will be General Hydroponics Flora Grow, Flora Bloom, Flora Micro and CalMg+ when needed. I dump my nutes every 7days w/o fail. I replenish with 8-10 gallons of new distilled water. Then rinse my roots for 24 hours w/that distilled water, then add the required fertilizer and micro-nutreints after the rinse. I always top off with distilled water thru-out the week. Last grow, my plants just thrived each week when I did this, so I will continue to do so. During the seedling/vegetation stage I keep my PH level between 6.0-6.5. During flowering stage I keep at 5.4-5.8.

CFL Grow Lights:
For my 1st grow I had purchased off the internet the larger spiral CFLs for both vegetation stage and flowering stage. I got them from Express Light Bulb. I'm simply amazed how well they worked. I currently have six 85watt/350watt, 6500k, 4200 lumen for vegetation and eight 105watt/400watt, 2700k, 5000 lumen for flowering. However last grow I added a couple of my 85watt, 6500k in w/my 105watt, 2700k to have a mixed spectrum. During flowering/ripening last grow, had 10 CFLs burning a total of 1010 watts and 48,400 lumens in a 12sqft area. Plan to be adding more when we get to flowering stage in 5 weeks. I use a clamp-on light fixture for each of them. That is why I placed wood ribbing in my grow-closet. I can clamp anywhere so I can get the very best out of my CFLs

Hey brother, you thought about maybe building a fixture for some of the lighting? Also, is that res going to stay clear? I would reconsider that. I have never used one so I cant say for sure. but everyone online says that you will have problems.

Hey brother, you thought about maybe building a fixture for some of the lighting? Also, is that res going to stay clear? I would reconsider that. I have never used one so I cant say for sure. but everyone online says that you will have problems.

No, I had used that tote rez-box towards the end of my 1st grow, I have not put in my new one yet. It's light proof, plus I use a cover over it as well. Don't want alge growing in w/my nutes. I built a ribbing inside the growcloset for my clamp-on fixtures, however I'll be installing a couple fixed fixtures against the three walls.
The plan this grow is to keep my gals trimmed so I get that lollypop cola grow. Also, don't plan on veggiing to long this grow, about 5 weeks this time, last time was 9 weeks, way to long, wasted a month of grow time, but we learn from our mistakes.

I'm in. Nice setup man - I'm working towards something similar - plans are already drawn up, just need my first-grow (mother seeking mainly) to progress. I'm really interested to learn about how effective this solution is for you, as well as any tweaks you can think of as you're working with it.

Best of luck!
Taxx

I had preposted my germination. Process the same, but do to unforseen delays, I finally germinated on 09-24-10. At the moment I have a 3 Columbian Gold up, 2 Mazar x White Rhino seeds broke thru, but root first so I turned them around in the rockwool cube. 1 Critical Kali Mist, the other is close to breaking thru. 1 of the freebies, Blue Widow is up. The Royal Haze is showing promise. The Red Dragon, nada, nothing yet, they must be abit slower. It would be awesome to get all 12 up and going. I don't count my 1st day of my 1st week until the seedlings go into the grow pods. Thats when the grow begins, but if I get 1 or 2 that don't get passed the seedling stage, I regerminate the same strain until I get all 12 into their grow boxes.

P8010002.JPG
P8010004.JPG

Update: 10-01-10,
Kinda weird to see that date like that. Well 10-01-10 is my 1st day of my 1 st week of this second grow. I placed 4 plants into perspective grow-pods. All 3 Columbian Gold are doing very well, in the pods. 1 Royal Haze started strong, but kinda peatered out, I'm trying to get it back is the other in the pod. Lost 1 Mazar x White Rhino, the other is trying. 1 Critical Kali Mist is doing well, but has not rooted thru yet, same goes for the 1 Blue Widow. I have a root developing on 2 Red Dragons and 1 Critcal Kali Mist, hope to move them into the dome. That leaves me w/1 Red Dragon that has not yet popped, still trying to fill all 12 grow-pods. Most likely try to germinate the last seeds of Critical Kali Mist, Mazar x White Rhino and Red Dragon.

10-12-10, Germinated more seeds, 2 feminized White Widow, 2 feminized Carnival, 5 Bubbledelicious regular seeds. Grow-box 1 is doing fine, just don't have any plants for my 2nd grow-box. Last thing I wanted was a staggered grow, but I'll get over it.

P8150002.JPG
P8150003.JPG
P8150001.JPG

Coming to a close on week 3. Lost the 1 Critical Kali Mist, my fault. The other seeds I tried to germinate did not take either. So my grow consist of 3 Columbian Gold, 1 Blue Widow. I do plan to clone more BW and CG, perhaps by next week. Also I plan to order more seeds, but that can wait for awhile. I wanted that Red Dragon, Critical Kali Mist and Mazar x White Rhino. Next order is going to be Black Widow, The Church, Kali Mist and White Rhino.

The Blue Widow has an excellent report on this site at the Home Page. So stoked about the one I got going. Gonna clone the shit out of her. Right now, I'd be happy w/3 clones each from the BW and the CG.

Photos, week 3

CG nice choice! It's bummer more didn't make it. I'm definately gonna keep an eye on his one.
:goodjob:

CG nice choice! It's bummer more didn't make it. I'm definately gonna keep an eye on his one.
:goodjob:

Thanks, I can hardly wait to go into flowering with both the Gold and Blue Widow. Gonna do some cloning to build up my grow. The other strains I tried to get popped just did not do anything. So I plan to get more seeds down the road in a few weeks.

Little update, day 25. A couple of days back, the Blue Widow and designated Landrace Columbian Gold mother plant had brown blotches on the edge and tips of the foliage. Added recommended dosage of CalMag+. Cleared it right up. Finally got a PPM meter, now I can have better control of my nutes. PH drifting from 5.8-5.4, still preforming my weekly dump/rinse. After I re-plenish w/fresh distilled water, I rinse my roots for 24 hours, then add my next dose of fertilizer and micro-nutrients. I add CalMag+ whenever needed.

Cloning 4 Blue Widow and 4 Columbian Gold this week. When they have rooted real good, I'll pull my 1st grow-box, place into my new flowering room, the 8 clones will go into the veg closet for 4-5 weeks, then they will get placed into the flowering as well. I will re-generate 1 C.G. and the single B.W., the remaining C.G. and clones I'll grow out/harvest. When both mothers go back into the veg room, hopefully I'll be introducing a few new strains into the mix.
My gals at 4.5 weeks, imo they are doing great...

P8280010.JPG
P8280007.JPG
P8280006.JPG

Update, day 34, all my gals are doing stellar. PH at 5.6 and been using my TDS/PPM meter. The distilled water I buy, it's ppm is 4, filtered tap is 249. I mix both for my rez. Before nutes added, PPM was 144, after nutes 1100. The Blue Widow foliage is much darker than the Gold. Can't wait to taste these 2 strains....

Taking clones this week. Hope to get 6 Columbian Gold and 6 Blue Widow, it's gonna be fun learning how to do this. Hope I don't end up w/alot of clones around, can see how that can happen. Also a few more for placing in potting soil, place these in a temporary grow area, see what comes of it.

After the cuttings/clones are well rooted, I'll move grow-box #1 into the flowering room, switch to 12/12 and place the rooted clones into the veg/grow-closet at 18/6 light schedule. The 3 Columbian Gold and the Blue Widow will be flowered/partial harvested and re-generated as mothers. I'll let the clones veg for 4-5 weeks, then they go into the flowering room.

I still have a few seeds left over, Red Dragon, Bubbledelicious, Big Bud and Kandahar or I might buy some regular Kali Mist and White Rhino or Medicine Man, get a few more strains up and running. :slide:

P9070001.JPG
P9070004.JPG
P9070005.JPG
P9070006.JPG
P90700071.JPG

Update: Day 43. Took cutting from all 3 Columbian Gold and my single Blue Widow. I hope they root, the look ok, but no big deal if they don't take. The mothers were put into flowering at day 40. I can take cuttings after I re-generate or re-veg. them after harvest.

I continue to do a weekly dump/flush and rinsing of the roots during flowering stage. PH is adjusted daily, average 5.5. PPM are within a good range, 960ppm.

Thinking about making hash from this grow, keeping only a few oz/jars around of course. But w/the hash, I can just pop a chunk into my mouth and keep moving on. Well anyway, day 43

P9160014.JPG
P9150013.JPG
P9150012.JPG
P9150011.JPG
P9150009.JPG

Back
Top Bottom