Grow Version 1.0 - Reserva Privada Hurricane - LED - DWC - Mainline

sciguy
Thanks for swinging by and the kind words... My fingers are crossed that these ladies will stay healthy until harvest (prob early Dec), but still a long ways to go :)

Indoor Plants
Here are the indoor plants at day 20 of flower. Best I can tell they are doing well, but this is my first grow so my point of reference is still being defined.

resized00513.jpg

I'll probably take the 'ring' off the left plant as due to this lady's short height, I think the ring is not needed and will just get in the way of flower development.
resized0078.jpg

resized0097.jpg

resized0123.jpg

resized018.jpg

resized0162.jpg

Is it me, or is this a big fucking stem?
resized0142.jpg

Outdoor Plants
I did harvest them this AM, even though we've had rain for the past 48hrs... Will be working on getting them into dry box today and collecting pics along the way. I'll post an (probably long) update sometime tomorrow. Needless to say I'm in a pretty good mood today regardless of the shitty weather we have right now! :)

Lighting
I sent my Mars-hydro reflector 48 into their "repair center" (aka some dude who probably fixes these for a side job) over 2.5 weeks ago. I was told by service the repair "would be done within 2 business days and the light would be shipped within 1 business day later". The repair person has had my light 2 weeks and I've heard nothing so I emailed service only to find out the guy hasn't even looked at it yet... If I'm lucky I'll get it back in about 2 weeks from now.

While (so far) I think Marshydro has the best bang for the buck, I'm not fond (to put it lightly) of the service. However as pointed out (by someone earlier) these lights are priced so well you can just buy 2 of them. In fact IMO that's a good idea and this is case in point -- if you only have 1 light and it dies, your SOL unless you have a backup (plan).

Also if you look at my indoor pics above and think the "front right" part has more 'red' than the rest; you are correct. The galaxyhydro is located above that position and gives off much more red and the the mars does.

See you guys tomorrow for the details on the outdoor harvest! :)

sciguy
Thanks man!! I'm not too worried about the light, I have the galaxy in there until I get it back.

Outdoor Plants
Just a quick update on the outdoor plants as it's been a busy few days and I still have a lot on my TODO list today.

I harvested them yesterday at 4:20AM after about 48 hours of rainy wet weather... They needed a good shake before coming inside.

Given how wet they were I 1st hung them in the closet with a floor fan on them for about 8 hours... This closet is right next to my home office where I spent a good 12hrs a day -- nice distraction!!

PA220020_1.JPG

I then hung them upside down in a very ad-hoc drying box as I awaited my mesh drying rack.

Today I cleaned them up.

"Mrs Bagseed"
resized00116.jpg

resized00316.jpg

resized0143.jpg

Wet weight of Mrs BagSeed
resized021.jpg

WW1
resized00415.jpg

resized00613.jpg

WW2
resized0098.jpg

resized0112.jpg

Wet weight of WW1 + WW2... Lots of stem weight in there
resized025.jpg

Now they are on the rack drying
resized026.jpg

Not the most sexy flowers in the world, but given the fact they barely had any care I'm not disappointed. The pics do no justice to how many trichs these things have -- the glow with white in the light... And very dank odor; 2 jars of ona kicking to try and keep the smell at bay upstairs.

I have no idea how much the flower will weigh after drying, but just by looking at the flowers should be enough to hold me through the Hurricane grow. Also I did a poor trim/clean job on these; it took longer than expected and I have a shit ton going on (little time).

I'll post some additional pics next week when I free up.

Happy growing everyone and have a nice weekend!

Expect 75% weight loss from wet to dry. So around 40g dry. Definitely a nice pull from free light outside at the end of the season.

How do you like the drying rack? I've been thinking about getting myself one since I overly trim on harvest day anyway. As for smell, I think a carbon filter + exhaust fan is the only way to take care of it. My DIY dry box had half my house smelling like skunk lol.

Your RPC hurricanes are looking good! Really surprised they started flowering so fast. The ones I've grown took anywhere from 18-30 days to show flowers. Got one going now that's at 28 days and only showed 3 days ago. Good luck!
GFID

Man o man! Great job!

That harvest is a nice present for yourself. Like a halfway prize. It looks like killer smoke. I see tons of tricomes!

That mainlined though... That stem is huge. In my experience (which is limited), thicker stems equates to bigger buds but that may not always be true. I think it is in your case anyway. I'd say you did a damn good job on training. I'd be damn proud if I were you. How's the roots? I don't know too much about DWC. Are they doing okay though? No tangles? Have enough space?

Atulip
Thanks for the info -- I didn't realize water weight was that much, but good to know. I'll let you know how I like the drying rack once I get through this process. I was reading other's about them and it seems some ppl don't like them for various reasons (squish flower, dank rack to store, etc..). And yeah -- I really think I'll need to get a cheap tent + carbon scrubber for this drying, but hopefully that can wait for the Hurricane harvest :)

GFID
Hi and welcome to the community... Someone else told me they take a long time to flower as well, so I was (happily) surprised to seem them start so quickly. The co seed bank site says 60-65 days for flower, yet the seed box says something different - so it wasn't clear how long they might take.

Are you planning to start a journal or anything? I'd love to see some pics of your hurricane if you get a chance.... What medium are you using -- hydro as well?

Grouch
Thanks for stopping by brother! Yeah the outdoor harvest was basically "free" as far as I'm concerned.. I spent only a few hours in total on those outdoor plants so I'll take what I can get... Now I just need to remain patient for them to dry and cure, cause I'm ready to start puffing that shit now!

Thanks for the complements on the mainline - they seem to be doing well. The roots are a bit messy and filling up the res -- I probably need a deeper res for the next grow (10+ gal), but I'm crossing my fingers they will make it through flower as-is. That's a 6 gallon cooler and I'd say the roots take up 2 gallons right now, but seem healthy (Great White kicks ass). If they start to outgrow the current res I may have to chop some root off, which kinda scares me :)

Anyway guys, time to go play legos or watch sponge bob with my boy... Hope everyone is having a killer weekend!

No journals yet for me. Maybe after the new year. I'm in a 30/30/40 of soil, coco, perlite- respectively. I'll be going straight coco/perlite after this grow. Maybe a dwc thrown in the mix. Anyways, enjoy the time with your son, it goes by fast!

Grouchy
Oh come on man -- pony up and get your princess power on!! ;)

GFID
Well if decide to upload pics (you don't need a journal) of your hurricane please let me know or just post them here.

Micro Update
Outdoor flowers are still on the drying rack. Thinking tomorrow they'll be ready to start the "sweating" process. Major odor finally gone, now the flowers have that "hay" smell which appears to be normal.

The indoor plants are doing fine with flower action continuing. I'll post up some pics in a day or 2.

Be well and happy growing all!

CoGreen,
I always end up saying yes. I'm powerless against my 2 little ones. HAHA!

My wife always says it smells like fresh grass. The hay smell takes a while for me but maybe that's a deficiency in my curing process. It takes about 2 weeks for it to start to change for me to the well known "weed smell" to kick in. You should find out how close the 75% weight loss prediction is and calculate the weight loss. I always figure 75% as well but haven't compared before. I never weigh the wet weight. Makes me too sad to see it all go buh-bye. Hay smell, completely normal.

ScienceGrow
Thanks for stopping by and the kind words. I've got my fingers crossed I can keep them healthy through flower.

Grouchy
Yeah the things we do for our children!!
I will def check the dry weight as I'm interested to see how close the 75% rule of thumb is. And thanks for the info on the "hay smell" -- would really be disappointing to have to smoke something that smells like hay. :)

Time for a quick update...

Outdoor Plants
Still on the drying rack; another day yet I think... The stems are still bending so going to give them a little more time before going to the sweating process.

Indoor Plants
Still looking OK. However I've been battling my PH dropping the last few days... I need to look into this. They have been feeding much lighter than I expected (obviously somewhat expected due to my defol obsession). What I notice is that after a flush they take in a lot of nutes for a few days, then they basically plateau out and feed very lightly (200 - 400PPM). As you can see I even had a little nute burn on them at these low levels... I will give them what they ask for, but I don't plan on shoving nutrients at them if they aren't taking them up. Low nute levels are fine with me as long as they stay healthy; after all it saves me $$ on nutes :)

On with the pics as I need to get out the door for the dog's morning jog.

resized00117.jpg

resized00317.jpg

resized0087.jpg

resized0133.jpg

resized0113.jpg

resized0099.jpg

Cogreen I love the structure of those plants! You can really see it after your defols and it is very interesting to me. I need to clean up my plants understory but I am waiting till the 21 day mark or around that time. How long after the flip before you started to defol? It is my understanding that most people recommend not to do it until after the stretch which is where the 21 day mark comes in. Thanks for the update and great pics. :) :goodjob:

Bama
Hey thanks man!

I appear to have a bit of a thing for defoliation...

More recently I did the following defols:
- 4 days before flower
- 17 days into flower
- 25 days into flower

I also will clip off a leave here and there when I see it obviously obstructing a bud site.

What I've read is that if you defol during stretch it can impact the amount the plant will stretch, which could be desirable or not...

It's very likely that I'm defoling too much, but I guess I need to learn the hard way on this one.

Camo
Hey brother, welcome back and thanks for the compliments!
Not convinced I really have a nute issue yet, but we'll see... I think I'm just over feeding which is causing increased PH. Also I don't think my small res size is helping much as I can only get 3-4 gal of water in them with the root ball sizes... Next grow I'll sure need bigger res (10+ gal).

finally managed to catch up on your journal, great job so far cogreen, awesome if it's your first grow!! the outside harvest looks great as well! :thumb:

StillANoob
Hi and welcome. Thanks for those kind words -- it's surely been a journey! :)
Do you have any grows "in the works"?

Camo
Yeah appears to be overfeeding.. See my update below... 10gal res is a must for next grow. Thinking I will just use rubbermaid totes rather than coolers (probably). Perhaps the totes will also put off some cooler air due to chilled water in the res which would be a plus.

Atulip
About the drying rack... Overall it worked well, no complaints. I expected the rack to smell dank (afterwards) which was a concern, but it doesn't have much scent so all good on that front... I can see how using a rack would be very useful if have a lot of smaller flowers to dry and you don't want to deal with lots of smaller stems and such to hang dry. However if I mainly had larger colas I'd probably opt just to hang dry. At 23$ I don't think the rack was a bad investment.

Quick update...

Outdoor Plants
Blah, I over dried them on the rack.... Damn low humidity in CO! I attempted to "sweat" them in shallow air-tight tubs, but not much moisture left to sweat out. Yesterday I jarred them up with some 62% humidity packs... Hopefully some curing time will get these flowers smelling and tasting more like MJ rather than hay/grass :)

Here's the final dry weigh-ins (stems left on for more apples-to-apples comparison with wet weight)...

Bag seed (about 60% water weight)
resized00018.jpg

WW (about 60% water weight... stems probably impact this number)
resized00118.jpg

The smoke isn't anything to write home about right now, but I'm hoping the curing process improves that a bit... I can see how the whole harvesting process (dry, sweat, cure...) is critical in ensuring you get the highest quality possible. Surely something I need to continue to work on.

Indoor Plants
They had some nute burn which was progressively getting worse this week. So I did an "emergency" res dump + flush yesterday (typically I do that on Fridays). I re-nuted without the AN flower additives. Immediately after the flush the plants are taking up nutes again, PH is balanced, etc. so I'm quite sure the issue is on its way to resolution.

The burn is obviously my fault, which I attribute to over feeding with the AN additives I started using not long ago (B-52 and Bud Factor X) -- these are pretty hot nutrients, even the B-52 (not clear why a B supplement would be so hot, but it is; Thrive Alive which I've been using for vit B does not impact your PPM).

Lesson learned -- when trying new additives go very light until you understand how your plant(s) take them in and how they effect your system. Seems obvious, but I was caught-up in trying to build massive flowers. I will give them a day or few to ensure they are doing well and taking up nutes. Then I'll start adding the AN back in at very low levels.

How about a few pics?

resized00218.jpg

resized00416.jpg

resized00614.jpg

resized0079.jpg

resized00910.jpg

resized0105.jpg

resized0114.jpg

All right guys. Time to get the kid up and out the door and then kick ass and take names at work.
Have a great weekend if I don't talk to ya!

Back
Top Bottom