Grow Version 1.0 - Reserva Privada Hurricane - LED - DWC - Mainline

Love the update Cogreen. Glad you got the burn to stop. I read on a journal this week that burn during the flowering can get the plant to stop making THC on the sugar leaves. That would suck. Can you confirm that on your sugar leaves that got burned? Thanks and Happy Halloween!

Whew looking sweet cogreen! The girls still look pretty and thriving, so even tho you've ran into some nute problems at least you noticed and fixed in a quick fashion. I have read on many curing processes with the boveda 62% packs it's actually better to over dry a little and then throw them in the jars with the packs because the packs will actually bring them back up to 62% and sorta rehydrate them. Now I've also read that they can't be like supperr dry, the packs are miracle workers. So I'm sure the flavor and taste will get better with curing in jars & packs. That's actually how I totally intend to cure my first harvest due to I don't want to risk Amy chance of mould in the jars !

Bama
Thanks! Yes some of my sugar leaves were definitely hit with the burn. I'll see how they progress going forward. If the negative impact is limited to sugar leaves, and not flowers; I can live with that. c'est la vie I guess.

Camo
Thank you sir! Yeah they have rehydrated a little already and they haven't even been in with the humidity packs 24hrs yet. I read in a few places that some folks claim using the humidity packs too much in first weeks of curing can impact taste / potency; always conflicting info :) I'll prolly see how much the rehumidify and if they get nice and sticky I'll remove the packs as needed.

My major issue in drying the outdoor harvest is that my grow cab is obviously occupied with my indoor plants. In subsequent grows I'll be drying in my cab which should give me a little more control over humidity and such.

Anywho, practice makes perfect.

Ohhhh really? I hadn't read any where that the boveda packs impact taste or potency. I still plan on buying a small hygrometer to put in jars to continue to check humidity levels along with having the boveda packs in there. Also I have read that you just leave the packs in the jars thru out the curing and that is ideal because thru out the cure the humidity level is kept at the ideal 62%. I watched a video On boveda's website about their 62% pack specifically meant for MJ.

So you dry in your grow tent? Or did I read that wrong ?

Camo
Because I have the indoor plants in my cab, I had to dry the outdoor plants in a make-shift dry box made of cardboard (a pic somewhere earlier in this journal). I didn't have much control over the humidify / environment in that box. In the future I plan to do the initial dry right in my cab where I have "some" control over humidity, etc.. I should've let the outdoor plants dry right on the stem (slower = better for low RH like in CO), but I didn't read enough before getting into the drying process..

A quick update on the plants...

Indoor Plants
So within 24hrs of my last update, my PH issues came back. The PH was dropping about a full point (1.0) in 24hrs; clearly a sign of something amiss... Long story short; after some research + trial and error it turns out my issue was that my PPM was too low. I was running them in 200-350PPM range trying to let them recover from the nute burn and this is when the PH kept dropping. I upped the plants to the 500 PPM range and the PH has been stable around 6.0 for a few days (no PH up or down needed).

Although I have some guesses, it's not quite clear to me why a higher PPM is more stable... At any rate things seem stable now, and I've started using the bloom enhancers (B-52 and Bud Factor X) at low levels again.

So here they are at day 32 of flower... Even though that damn nute burn is just the tips, it's a scarring reminder of my mistake and IMO takes away from the sexyness of the plants. Every time I go in there I think to myself "dammit, this nute burn does not look good on these ladies".

resized00219.jpg

resized00417.jpg

resized00615.jpg

resized0088.jpg

resized0106.jpg

resized0124.jpg

resized0134.jpg

resized0144.jpg

resized0151.jpg

Happy growing!

I would think ppm and ph would work the other way. As the ppm drops the ph rises gets closer to neutral.

How much ppm gave them nute burn? Iirc early/mid flower ppm should be ok in the 750-1000 range, and late flower 1k+.

Atulip
Yeah the solution was a bit counterintuitive, but I actually got the idea from a thread I was reading on this topic which was resolved with upping the nutes a bit.

My theory on this solution is:
(a) The nutes add a PH buffer to the system and at low PPM numbers there's not enough buffer for plants of this size.
(b) At the low nute numbers the plants were pulling what they needed from the "light mix" and what was left was nutes they didn't need thus throwing the system's balance off.
(c) A combination of the above and other factors.

My guess is #c... But of course it's totally a guess.

In any case this was an interesting learning experience.

The PPM was in the 500s when I got the nute burn. However, I don't believe the burn was from my standard bloom formula / program. I highly suspect the burn was from me over using the AN bloom enhancers (B-52 and Bud Factor X) as I was putting those in pretty heavy. My guess is I overdid these enhancers as the burn directly correlated to my use of them in my regime (I haven't had a single problem since I switched to Dyna-Gro awhile ago, until I used the AN enhancers).

Although I don't disagree with the PPM ranges you stated from a general perspective, IMHO there are so many variables which go into these numbers. I believe my minimalist approach along with fairly heavy defol put my ideal numbers below those generalized ranges... As of right now around 500 PPM seems to be the money -- PH and PPM fairly stable.

Yeah my ppm knowledge isn't much, I never got around to buying a meter lol. Probably potassium overload from bloom nutes combined with b52(high in K). Consulting my chart on K toxicity, it burns leaf tips, locks out some nutes, and what do you know, acidifies root zone. Mystery ph drop solved. :D

Outstanding update Cogreen! They look great to me, but I know what you mean when you see any def in the leaves even if it is an old def that has been fixed making you cringe. That is interesting about the burn. I have seen the res pH go up and down as the PPM's changed. Hydro has a science to it that is really cool, but depending on your system, there is an art to it that has to be learned. IMHO you have to take into so many factors that are specific to your environment and equipment not to mention your strain. It is so cool once you get it to come together though! :)

yeah don't sweat it cogreen, as long as you stopped it in its tracks you should be fine, I know what you mean though about them not looking pretty, I went all through veg and 3 weeks of flower with perfect lookin plants, then I goofed, and now have ugly burn marks on my leaves, but like you I also got it in the nick of time to stop the progression, but now the leaves look like crap. Oh well atleast the buds are still fine and that's what matters most.

Bama / Camo / sciguy
Thanks for the kind words and positive reinforcement guys; much appreciated.
Truth be told I haven't lost any sleep over it yet (don't sleep much anyway, so don't have much sleep to loose :) ), but it surely makes for less sexy flower pics.

Mini Update
So I mentioned that I started trying to use the AN additives again earlier this week (very light dose) and again I saw some yellowing starting. Yesterday I did a mini-flush (2-3 hrs) and renuted without the AN additives. Moreover I recalculated my N-P-K ratio to 1-1-2 for the renute (same program, just a different ratio of each nute).

At this point I haven't been happy with these AN additives so I'm not planning to use the B-52 any more during flower (I'll continue to use Thrive Alive (green)); too high in N for my taste. I'll probably use the B-52 for veg, or at least try it. I sent AN an email with some questions, including inquiring about the composition of their Bud Factor X; not much info on the bottle or on the web. I won't use it any more until I can understand WTF is in it and what micro/macro is brings to the table.. I know a lot of people have great success with AN, but so far I'm not impressed.

It also seems my plants have some N toxicity; or at least that's what it appears to be (the claw, dark green leafs, the nute burn)... This is why I reformulated for the 1-1-2 ratio. Hoping it helps.

I decided not to post any pics today as they don't look much different. I believe these nute issues I've been having has impacted their growth. I'll post up some pics early next week.

BTW -- not a whole lot of dank smell to these plants yet. If I smell the flowers it's mainly a very earthy smell, maybe with a hint of spicy chocolate. I'm happy with little smell as it makes for 1 less thing I need to mitigate :)

All right guys, have a great weekend if I don't talk to ya!

I'm happy to hear your getting your nutes dialed in brother. Definitely gonna ask to have you around when I start my grow at the beginning of the year !! You know I've read great things about AN but it seems every post I read the people are using like 1/4 recommend nutes of the label, guess that makes it last longer just seems like a headache to measure only 1/4 and do the math every time.
That's good knowledge about the smell of your grow area, one thing I'm sorta worried about but sorta not, I don't really have to worry about anyone coming over and smelling that would know what the smell is or be offended. I just wonder if it'll ever get bad enough to smell outside. Guess no way to tell till I start my grow, but for Phresh filters being $150+ I'd prefer not to have to buy one lol

Camo
As luck would have it, I think the smell is starting to kick-up... My wife was complaining about it last night when I came up from the basement, but I think its worse now because of the colder weather here; my exhaust fan doesn't run much to move the smell outside of my room so I think it stagnates.

I should be around for your grow man and I'm obviously willing to help in any way I can. However if you work with Grouchy I'm sure you're in good hands.

I recently got a filter + fan (440 CFM) myself; it's by iPower. It has really good reviews and what I like about the filter is that it has screws rather than rivets so should be easier to replace carbon in it. I'm not planning to install it under after my grow though because it'll require some work on my cab and I don't want to pull my plants out of the cab for a number of hours to do the work now.

On AN nutes -- yeah I wasn't even using them at 1/8 strength man. Moreover AN appears to not respond to email questions, or perhaps they are just overly busy.

Thanks for stopping by man!

Indoor Plants
Quick update guys as I need to get out the door here.

My system has been stable since my mini-flush + res change last week. PH stable in the 5.7 - 6.1 range and they are liking mid-400's for PPM (any more they aren't taking it up fast enough and any less they ask for more)... No news is good news IMO :)

Without further ado, here they are at day 38 of flower...

resized00220.jpg

resized00418.jpg

resized00710.jpg

resized00911.jpg

resized0107.jpg

resized0115.jpg

resized0135.jpg

resized0152.jpg

Sorry bout the poor quality pics; I'm a bit of a hurry this AM.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and happy growing!

Also I forgot to mention a quick update on the repair of my marshydro 48 reflector... I didn't hear anything in another 2 weeks (that's 5 weeks from my shipping it and 4 weeks since their repair guy got it). Apparently the repair person I sent it to quit, so after me bitching they decided to send me a new 48 reflector (5W).

Although this repair process has been frustrating, I'll have to give them a +1 for finally fixing the issue and shipping me a new light.

Cogreen the girls are looking mighty frosty dude ;) I mean wow! But yeah I guess the whole smell thing is a bridge I will have to cross when I get there. Tho that you mentioned this ipower combo fan &filter I'm gonna look into it for sure! Just want to be prepared for if you can smell the plants when you pull into my driveway, cause I do live in a none complaint state and they'll lock your ass up fast for possession and your talkin felonies for plants ! So I got to be safe lol

one way you could install in the current grow would be to reverse it. (the filter) so rather than sucking through the filter.. pull from the tent and push through the filter. then you'd just have to install install the tube in a vent and have an intake. I know someone that did that to make more room in their roof and they said it worked perfectly

Back
Top Bottom