Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: Hosted Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Cant wait for the results. I am still keen to get myself an LED panel but am now considering getting the jump on everyone and seriously looking at
Electrode-less Frequency Discharge Lamps or EFDL's for short.

Cant wait for the results. I am still keen to get myself an LED panel but am now considering getting the jump on everyone and seriously looking at

*Runs off to Google it up*

:smokin:

Didn't have to go far... New Lighting Technologies

you can definitely see the intensity difference and light spread differences between the two lights. the HGL looks more intense on the pots, where the HSS is lighting up the walls and floor around the pots more evenly.

Absolutely, they throw very different beams. The HGL is very focused, with an intense but relatively small sweet spot. The HSS throws a very even diffuse beam that covers a much larger area. The HSS light would shine on a SOG or SCROG, while the HGL light would probably do better in a normal grow with 3-4 plants max.

nice job on the germ, it's gonna suck when you have to choose one to cull, lol. they're all gonna be nice.

It's not going to suck too bad, because instead of just kicking those two to the curb, I just got done setting up my trusty old cab to finish them:

IMG_3546_Medium.JPG

that's a 150w MH/HPS in there now, but I also could use my two 55w LED panels, or 110w of power compact T5 fluorescent.

might have to do some LST so they don't outgrow the cab, but I should be able to finish them in there one way or another.

thanks wheelo!

that looks great!

I'd suggest leaving the HPS in there, as you have already had a bunch of requests to compare the two LED grows to a comparable HPS.

That would totally round out the comparison, if the two LED manufacturers don't mind a "real" light in the comparison.

lol, just joking about the "real" comment. . . I'm just waiting on this thread before i decide to take my own LED plunge.

Love the idea we might be able to see an HID comparison on the side :)

Apologies again for asking a couple off-topic questions but I had a few wonderments about your nutrient strategy.

The Fox Farm trio makes perfect sense... could you share some thoughts about why you're adding Cal-Mag Plus and Maxicrop liquid seaweed?

I'm familiar with the Fox Farm feeding schedule - when will you introduce the cal-mag and seaweed, and at what rates?

Last question: Do you (or anyone else out there) have any experience with Hygrozyme? I'm planning to transplant from hydro to soil (I have unresolvable bacteria problems with the hydro grow) and think Hygrozyme might help with the transition...

Many thanks, as always, for any thoughts you can share.

Does anyone know if there are any strains out there that have been grown under LEDs for several generations? MJ is a very adaptable plant to different growing environments.

Does anyone know if there are any strains out there that have been grown under LEDs for several generations? MJ is a very adaptable plant to different growing environments.

I think a breeder would have to select for exceptional phenotypes to get any genetic change in a strain like that. Doubt that enough random favorable mutations would do it in just several generations.

Apologies again for asking a couple off-topic questions but I had a few wonderments about your nutrient strategy.

The Fox Farm trio makes perfect sense... could you share some thoughts about why you're adding Cal-Mag Plus and Maxicrop liquid seaweed?

I'm familiar with the Fox Farm feeding schedule - when will you introduce the cal-mag and seaweed, and at what rates?

Last question: Do you (or anyone else out there) have any experience with Hygrozyme? I'm planning to transplant from hydro to soil (I have unresolvable bacteria problems with the hydro grow) and think Hygrozyme might help with the transition...

I used hygrozyme. The roots on my plants were very healthy. I don't know if the hygrozyme was responsible or not....but the plants completely filled 10litre buckets with roots, and I only vegged for 10 days.

Absolutely, they throw very different beams. The HGL is very focused, with an intense but relatively small sweet spot. The HSS throws a very even diffuse beam that covers a much larger area. The HSS light would shine on a SOG or SCROG, while the HGL light would probably do better in a normal grow with 3-4 plants max.

It's not going to suck too bad, because instead of just kicking those two to the curb, I just got done setting up my trusty old cab to finish them:

IMG_3546_Medium.JPG

that's a 150w MH/HPS in there now, but I also could use my two 55w LED panels, or 110w of power compact T5 fluorescent.

might have to do some LST so they don't outgrow the cab, but I should be able to finish them in there one way or another.

thanks wheelo!

Just my opinion, please don't in any shape or form compare your 150w MH/HPS or any other lights with these two LEDs. It would not be fair to any one in my opinion. I don't think you would Buddy, just a comment. By the way I am with you. Waste not want not.:grinjoint:

Well, 10 out of 10....the only thing that beats that is 11/10. Only the most elite, master growers in the Himalayas can germinate more seeds than they plant. ;) Well done!

You've already got a long journal here, and although i've read it all, I forget where you listed your germination method. Would you be so kind as to briefly describe how you germ'd?

10/10 is what we all dream about.
:peace:

LOL doc!

thanks!

I just simply planted them straight into the 2-gallon pots, which I had previously watered fairly well (but not saturated and trying to avoid runoff). I plant them a little deeper than usually recommended, about 1/2" deep, because I like to leave the lights on 24/24 so they get light as soon as they break through, but they can still germinate in the dark. I've never had problems with them running out of energy with the 1/2" planting depth. The soil stays a bit moister also at 1/2".

Then I just water lightly with RO water at least 3-4 times a day to keep the soil from drying out.

Since I watered the pots before planting, I won't have to water for at least a week or two. Root balls have always looked good, so the lack of wet-dry cycles for the first week or two hasn't seemed to be an issue. I think the roots develop as they have to go deep since I'm not watering them.

One of the seedlings broke through with the seed husk stuck. We've discussed the importance of those first few hours in a plant's life, and the stuck husk isn't a good thing because it expends the seedling's energy at a time when it should be spreading out and greeting the sun. I put a drop of water on the seed husk and then gently removed it after it softened up.

I used to germinate in paper towels and that worked well for me too. It's nice to be able to peek at your beans and see how they're doing.

With carefully selected seeds, however, my current method has given me 100% germination rates.

thanks again bro;)

Well done and looking good! Your technique is stellar, and I must say I've been consistently pleased with the germination rate on seeds from Barney's Farm - always 100% for me too.

Very impressed with my first experience with Barney's Farm. The seeds were packaged very well and obviously carefully selected.

Kudos to Barney's Farm!

thank you usul, I appreciate your positive energy ;)

Great start to a tremendous journal!!

Especially for those of us who've invested in one or more of the products.

thanks Eagle1!

it's nice to see LED journals popping up more!

We need to see some LED grows all the way through harvest in order to evaluate this technology.

It's a great age to be alive, that's fo sho!

Agree completely OMM.

There will be no comparison of the plants in the cab with the plants in the tents. That is not the focus of this comparison.

Even if you wanted to compare the results, it wouldn't be valid because of different grow space, temps, ventilation, probable LST in the cab, etc.

It's just going to be a side grow and not journaled.

yeah, I hate waste also, and under-achievers need love too ;).

thank you, my friend ;)

dont think he was going to compare just having extra space READY to put plants that are crowding the area so the controlled experiment wont be to overloadeed

exactly, and now that I know about LST, my cab has become a viable grow space for a couple plants.

I'd much rather finish them if I have the means than trash them, but yeah, no comparing will be done.

thanks PAcha!

Hi usul!

The Cal-Mag Plus is because I'm using RO water. When I do the watering in-between feedings, I like to water enough to get some runoff, because that flushes salts, but RO water also absorbs and leaches the minerals and nutes. I learned on my last grow that if I use RO water, I have to supplement with Cal-Mag. I'll start using it at the recommended 1 tsp per gallon when I start watering heavily enough to get runoff, which won't be for a few weeks.

I started using the Maxicrop seaweed because several growers who get great results use it. I'll start using it at 1/2 the recommended amount, which is 1/2 capful or 1.5 Tbsp per gallon the first time I water them, and then continue at 1/2 dose added to my FF nute feedings. Plants seem to love it as a foliar spray too.

Never grown VK before, so gonna have to keep a close eye on things.

thanks usul!

cool bro i will be checkin it
BUT there are a few variables that can drastically effect the whole test, 1 is seed starting i have never had seeds sprout exactly the same time ( i think the mother comment above would be more accurate finding twin cuttings i would think more exact , and an over all grow of the good and bad would paint a much clearer picture of the effectiveness of the fixtures used

I know they are 2 gal square pots but could you provide dimensions. Thanks

Great start SS, best of luck. 10 out of 10 that just wonderful bro. I also like ur cab that's pretty sweet as well. I cant wait to watch this grow and see the results for myself. Dude I love 420. So much good information out there. I got to give ya 5 stars ;)
:nicethread:

exactly, and now that I know about LST, my cab has become a viable grow space for a couple plants.

I'd much rather finish them if I have the means than trash them, but yeah, no comparing will be done.

thanks PAcha!
I'd use that for a couple of moms?? :popcorn::cheer::roorrip:

Very interesting grow SS. Great looking setup, well equipped grows. I like it. sitting in.

reps and ratings earned, you give good detailed info.
guess I've got to spread the love first.

Back
Top Bottom