Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: Hosted Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Thank you Setting Sun, for your insights! :thanks:

You're welcome!

One thing I forgot to mention in my response to you about pot size is that if I was just doing this grow for meds, without having to compare anything, I would be using 3-5 gallon pots and LST to keep the plants low.

Since I'm trying to avoid using LST on this grow, I'm using the 2-gallon pots to help control height.

If you have any more questions I didn't cover, please don't hesitate to ask.

LOL! Dirt-staring, the new American pasttime. :slide:

Hey, I have a question. I have recently heard (from the manufacturer of mine) that 90 watts (or more) of primarily red color LED is overkill for seed/seedling starting and should not be closer to the seed/seedling/pot than 3ft lest the intensity of light be too much for the seedling and either stunt or kill it at its earliest stage. He said that when the seedlings grow up to the third node that the light could then be lowered, but not until then. Since I know nothing about LED light technology by being totally new to it myself, I'm wondering how much truth there is to that claim. I wonder what the manufacturers of your test panels have to say in that regard? I'm guessing we're about to find out right here in your test tents.

Hi Irish!

In contrast to what the manufacturer of your light recommended, here's a link to what HydroGrowLED had to say when I asked the same question

i have noticed the head band and the silver haze like the led's and so does the bubba kush

Hey SS,

This is cool, can't wait to start seeing results.....

I don't think you should expect more than 4 ounces or so total per light, at least on your first run. Once you get everything tuned and with a little LSTing, who knows? Maybe 8 or 10 should be possible, but I just wouldn't expect to be there right away. There will likely be lots of little tweaks in your process needed to achieve that. Also, each light might even have slightly different optimum operating parameters (things like how long to veg) so unless one of them really blows the other away there will likely be good points for each.

Anyway, that's still a long way off, this will be cool to see. Thanks!

I know you're experienced in growing with LED's, so any suggestions and comments would be very appreciated.

I'm sure that optimizing these lights takes a few grows, but I'm hoping we can get at least some basic idea of how they perform. It would only get better from there.

You mention LST above, but I don't think I've seen it applied in the pics you've posted on your journal. Have you used LST in your LED grows? I would imagine that LED's and LST would work together very well.

thanks brother ;)

hey SS, doing lots of educating here early in the go. lol. nice.

i'd like to chime in here to usul's question about the container size.

i think one of the best arguments for starting in a small pot and transplanting is that the wet/dry cycles are much quicker. a big pot might stay wet for a week w/o a big root system to drink up all the water, where a small starter pot would be able to be watered 3x as often because it'll dry out much faster. these faster wet/dry cycles is better for root development than the longer ones.

but SS is right, transplanting can be stressful, so that is one drawback of doing it that way.

both ways are good, as long as you know how to do it right.

That's a great point WOF, thank you.

I do what works for me, but I try to stay open-minded about other ways of doing things.

The moment I start thinking I got this thing down is the moment I stop learning.

have a great week brother!

Hi Irish!

In contrast to what the manufacturer of your light recommended, here's a link to what HydroGrowLED had to say when I asked the same question

Very interesting. Thanks for the link to Cammie's comment, SS. Talk about diametrically opposed information--and a very real reason for doing test grows like this, so the chaff can be sifted from the truth.

You mention LST above, but I don't think I've seen it applied in the pics you've posted on your journal. Have you used LST in your LED grows? I would imagine that LED's and LST would work together very well.

I've been doing some experiments but no I haven't been doing LST. My best plant was the Diesel that I topped since it was growing too tall. It ended up with 4 big tops and yielded more than usual for me. Anyway, I think the technique has promise also.

I wouldn't change anything you are doing right now, it all looks good.

Very interesting. Thanks for the link to Cammie's comment, SS. Talk about diametrically opposed information--and a very real reason for doing test grows like this, so the chaff can be sifted from the truth.

I'm going to go with the recommended distance suggested by each company and we can see what happens.

I know that the 55w 12" X 12" LED panels can be placed 2" above young seedlings because I have a couple of those panels and I've used them that close without problems, but these lights are way more powerful.

In any case, I'll be watching for signs of burn or excessive stretch.

thank you Irish!

Well said Irish...:grinjoint:

Sun, just wanted to let ya know I've been here since the beginning, and just realized I never said High, and good luck!

High Andy!

I was wondering why you hadn't dropped in ;).

I hope both lights grow big, fat nugs that are so nice, they would have to undeniably be awarded NOTM. Their dankness would supersede any Staff exemptions and the 420 gods would make it so...;)

This is gonna be fun...:nomo:

well OK, as long as you don't set too high a bar!

thanks uncle andy ;)

I've been doing some experiments but no I haven't been doing LST. My best plant was the Diesel that I topped since it was growing too tall. It ended up with 4 big tops and yielded more than usual for me. Anyway, I think the technique has promise also.

I wouldn't change anything you are doing right now, it all looks good.

After seeing LST in action in lots of journals, I'd say it's a great technique for smaller indoor grows with any kind of light.

thanks for your feedback!

Germination

IMG_3537_Medium.JPG

IMG_3540_Medium.JPG

IMG_3527_Medium.JPG

HPIM1687_Medium.JPG

HPIM1675_Medium.JPG

10/10 germinated.

The pics with the more reddish hue are the HGL, and the more purplish hue are the HSS.

I have the HydroGrowLED light 12" above the seedlings, and the Haight Solid State light 16" above.

It's on ;)

"10/10 germinated" Well Done Setting Sun.:clap: We all know your the "PERFECT" grower for this test! Thanks for the pictures.:dreamy:

It's Showtime!:popcorn:

you can definitely see the intensity difference and light spread differences between the two lights. the HGL looks more intense on the pots, where the HSS is lighting up the walls and floor around the pots more evenly.

nice job on the germ, it's gonna suck when you have to choose one to cull, lol. they're all gonna be nice.

10/10 germinated.

It's on ;)

Well, 10 out of 10....the only thing that beats that is 11/10. Only the most elite, master growers in the Himalayas can germinate more seeds than they plant. ;) Well done!

You've already got a long journal here, and although i've read it all, I forget where you listed your germination method. Would you be so kind as to briefly describe how you germ'd?

10/10 is what we all dream about.
:peace:

Well, 10 out of 10....the only thing that beats that is 11/10. Only the most elite, master growers in the Himalayas can germinate more seeds than they plant. ;) Well done!

You've already got a long journal here, and although i've read it all, I forget where you listed your germination method. Would you be so kind as to briefly describe how you germ'd?

10/10 is what we all dream about.
:peace:

Hey Doc it's #108 back two pages.

Back
Top Bottom