Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: Hosted Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

I really can't wait for this grow to unfold. I've been wanting to invest in the HGL product (damn you terrible Cali economy!) and seeing that the HSS LED only weighs in at 3 1/2 pounds, that really intrigues me.

All I ask is that this thread make it to harvest without it being closed down before it ends like so many other LED threads seem to be.

Good luck!

P.S.: I'd love to see the numbers on how many 420Mag users are subscribed to this thread! :nicethread:

The difference in weight between the lights is dramatic. That could be important to someone whose grow box or grow environment lacks the structural strength to hang the 21-pound HGL panel.

I'm completely committed to completing this journal, and barring an act of God, I'm in for the duration ;).

thanks mendoman!

heat tests and energy usage

For the following heat test I had the exhaust fans off and the tents zipped up. I let the lights run for 30 minutes and then checked temps. The temperature display is the same as the tents, Hydro Grow LED on the left and Haight Solid State on the right.

IMG_3452_Medium.JPG

This is the starting point. Ambient temp is low because this is before I got a space heater for my garage.

IMG_3461_Medium.JPG

These are temps after 30 minutes.

The next heat comparison is with exhaust fans on and an ambient temp of 69 degrees

HPIM1668_Medium.JPG

ambient temp 69 degrees(post space heater in my garage)

HPIM1671_Medium.JPG

temps in grow tents after 30 minutes

The HGL light does not get hot to the touch, or even warm, at least at an ambient temp of 69 degrees.

The HSS light gets quite hot to the touch. I can only rest my hand on the top of the light for 15-20 seconds before having to remove it. This design is *supposed* to get hot. Radiating heat is how it stays cool.

Following are measurements of power usage in watts, voltage, and amperage

HPIM1649_Medium.JPG

Hydro Grow LED

Here is some information from their website that explains how it achieves this efficiency:

"Q:What is the actual power draw for the 126W unit, with fans and LED's operating?

A:We recently bought a power metering device to give you an exact answer. Our 126W contains 126 x 1W LED's and 6 fans, while having a total power draw of 126W. The reason for this is that LED power supplies are only 90-95% efficient, causing a slight dip in the overall amount of power supplied to the LED's. This eqautes to low power bills and high functionality in a compact design."

HPIM1659_Medium.JPG

Haight Solid State

IMG_3464_Medium.JPG

IMG_3472_Medium.JPG

IMG_3476_Medium.JPG

they all look like winners

HPIM1662_Medium.JPG

I used 33% Perlite in the Fox Farms Ocean Forest because I want a light mix with really good drainage. The opening post to the journal says 25%, but I went up to 33%

Lights are on 24/24 to help heat the tents and so the seedlings will have light as soon as they break ground. The lights are raised up for the pic, but as starting points, I have the HGL light at 12" above the pots and the HSS light at 16"

time to stare at dirt, lol

Regarding lifespan, I understand HGL says 5 years.

Free fan replacement upto 3 years under warranty. Reportedly not a big deal to install.

I could not locate any information on lifespan expectation on Hydro Grow's website. I was concerned about fan failure and replacement, and I asked HGL about this in a previous thread. Their response was that in the case of fan failure, they could be replaced by the user with telephone guidance from the company.

very nice.

great pics, clean setup.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

thanks man!

Hi Sun

Love the "time to stare at dirt" :grinjoint:

Did you turn the seed sideways like you used to do?

My time machine would go backwards.:grinjoint:

Nope, I planted them pointy end up at a precise 0 degree angle, lol.

Regarding lifespan, I understand HGL says 5 years.

Free fan replacement upto 3 years under warranty. Reportedly not a big deal to install.

sounds good, technology is changing so quickly that in five years most of us would ready for a new light

great info on the fans!

Thanks Soniq!

SS I really like your approach to testing the lights lots of info thanks

Outstanding pics and really easy-to-understand organization of your reports. This is my new favorite thread...:goodjob:

SS I really like your approach to testing the lights lots of info thanks

got my HGL 126 and 63 yesterday...i'm stoked to get started!

Having this grow in front of me will undoubtedly reduce my learning curve a great deal.

Danka!

im on board! very very interesting, cant wait to see some action!

I'm gonna have to watch this one! :popcorn:

:thanks:

glad to have you all on board!

Yeah I've been watching this one and will continue to. It's too bad there isn't a third tent with HPS lighting to compare that next to the LEDs.

I am here an agree that would be intresting
GL SS hope to see some good results
if you had to choose you are you rooting for?

Yeah I've been watching this one and will continue to. It's too bad there isn't a third tent with HPS lighting to compare that next to the LEDs.

I think we have a reasonable estimate of what HID lighting would do already.

I'm interested to see:

1.)gram/watt comparison of LED to HID
2.)quality of smoke.

If LED's have a better gram/watt ratio, and produce equal quality, they are a game changer for growers.

I think we have a reasonable estimate of what HID lighting would do already.

I'm interested to see:

1.)gram/watt comparison of LED to HID
2.)quality of smoke.

If LED's have a better gram/watt ratio, and produce equal quality, they are a game changer for growers.

I'm aware of that. But your reason for number 1 is the same as what I said. Like I said it's too bad there isn't a sodium setup to compare that to the two LED grows. I like having side by side pictures to see which one is obviously better. I think it's only a "game changer for growers" if you're growing a lot of medicine; but when you're growing a lot of medicine then it's kinda obvious what you're doing with it.

may be a decent alternative to HPS for people with heat probs, they look expensive at first but if only using 125 watts instead of 400w or so, im interested in how 1 single LED panel of this size compares to certain wattage HPS lamps. i can compare the differences on my own, we all have seen HPS grows of every size from 150w to multipul 100w lamps!

finally get to see a couple of these babies all the way thru flower! instead of a mixed light setup or switching half way through.
but atleast we already know theyre good for veg, nice bushy plants

but not bad for 400$ is you can flower 4 nice plants with only 125w and staying nice and cool.

i really cant wait!

may be a decent alternative to HPS for people with heat probs, they look expensive at first but if only using 125 watts instead of 400w or so, im interested in how 1 single LED panel of this size compares to certain wattage HPS lamps. i can compare the differences on my own, we all have seen HPS grows of every size from 150w to multipul 100w lamps!

finally get to see a couple of these babies all the way thru flower! instead of a mixed light setup or switching half way through.
but atleast we already know theyre good for veg, nice bushy plants

but not bad for 400$ is you can flower 4 nice plants with only 125w and staying nice and cool.

i really cant wait!

All other things being equal...and I'm not saying they are, but if they were.....

LED's have the following benefits:

1.)Less Heat. No need for all kinds of fans, AC, etc.
2.)Lower Power consumption
3.)Less noise
4.)Don't need to buy new bulbs, or change bulbs

Of course, if the goal is to produce the best meds possible.....well, that's what the test is all about.

I picture a box made of LED's on the walls and roof. It would be the closest thing to outdoors....but also fabulously expensive.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom