Icemud's 2018 Journal: Pine Tar Kush Pheno Hunt & More

Gonna pull up a seat and watch this pan out if ya don't mind. :passitleft:

Welcome Van Stank! Glad to have ya here! My journal is sort of slow moving but things are about ready to pick up soon :)

Hi, Icemud grow Here in China we are forbidden to growing cannabis, so if you can send me some pictures or vedio of your grow journal, can you do me a favor?
NO thank you.

I am throwing my hat in the ring with STS too. Used rooted clones from four strains of feminized seeds and sprayed every few days for three weeks, starting a few days before flip. They all are covered with pollen sacs and the first ones are opening...all blanks! Very early and most sacs are still maturing, but I now know the sting of pollen failure!

Not buying it's strain related. After some research, I have developed a hypothesis. The upshot is the STS stopped ethylene production to produce sacs, but the plants need some ethylene to develop pollen. So I think I went overboard on the application. What I read was to stop at first sign of sacs and let them grow out, in theory allowing some ethylene to be produced and develop pollen. I, on the other hand, sprayed the hell out of them and kept spraying well after sacs developed. I will let them grow out completely and see if any pollen surfaces. But for next time, I will spray less often, more days apart, and stop sooner. Hopefully it works!

Very interesting Hypothesis, Maybe that is where I was going wrong too, as it did seem like the earlier developed balls seemed to die off and fall off very easily, where the later forming ones seemed to be the ones that opened up without falling off, so maybe you are right with the late spraying being the culprit. I will be doing another STS run in the near future so maybe I will give it a try.

I appreciate you chiming in with your findings as I got pretty discouraged using CS and STS and not getting the results I got the first time, but come to think about it, almost all that I can remember I did spray 1x after the balls formed, maybe I should have let off and let nature do its thing at that point. Thanks HoBrah!

Just a real quick update everyone!

So been busy with the job lately so haven't been updating much but things are going well. I took clones 1 week ago from a bunch of my strains that I've had forever so awaiting roots and some new soil to put them in which I will be picking up this week. (old soil got too old and the ratios are out of wack) which is partly why the current grow is taking forever. I've spent more time fighting deficiencies than keeping old soil is worth, so time for new stuff.

As soon as the clones take root and are planted then I will start the Xmas Bud seed project. Still a few weeks out though as I have one more smaller round of clones to take before I get it started.

Still deciding on what to run next for my next seed project, but I think I've narrowed it down to either monkey balls, purple monkey balls, 88'g13x hashplant, White Grapes or Grape 13.

Other than that, life has been good, work is going well, very busy but well and hopefully this upcomming weekend I can get some photos going in the journal again :)

Hope all are well!

Alright everyone... so quick update... and could use some suggestions....

I dumped the rest of my old recycled soil and I am starting fresh this time, with the exception of the trainwreck and mendo grape kush that I already potted for the next project, all others will be getting a new supersoil.

I kept the soil recipe pretty simple this round. I mixed up:

1/2 bale of Promix HP
1 bag of Ocean forest
1 smaller bag of worm castings
2 1/2 cups of calcium carbonate powder
2 cups of soft rock phosphate
2 cups of basault
1/4 cup of sul po mag

Unfortunately I won't have time to cook the soil for a while but figuring its not like I'm adding all kinds of organics this time around, it shouldn't matter much.

So here is where the help comes in... I have a crapload of Hazeman genetics that I purchased during his holiday sales, and I need some suggestions of what to pop for my next seed project.

The goal:
The goal will be 2 things. First to do a seed increase so I have more than 10 seeds of the Hazeman strain, so I will be doing an open pollenation with whatever males I get/females I get to get a good variety of phenos, no selecting prior to breeding. The 2nd goal will be to also cross those same male(s) with the 9 other strains.

The strains that will be getting hit:
black cherry soda
ogiesel
mendo grape kush
skywalker og
private reserve og
trainwreck
GDP
harlequin
GG4

So all of those will get pollen, pending I get a male which I hope for.

Now the seeds I have to choose from: (all hazeman seeds)
Purple Monkey balls
Astro Kush
Blueberry
Blue Dream x Azure Haze
Gods Gift
Lemon Stomper
Super Strawberry Diesel
Monkey balls (deep chunk)
Grape 13

White Grapes
88G13/Hashplant
White Shark/Aloha White widow
Sour Grapes
Fat Purple
Deep Chunk x Sour Diesel x Deep Chunk x Sour Diesel
Durban Poison.

I've bolded the top 5 I am considering but it is such a hard choice because they are all amazing genetics. I'm really leaning to either Grape 13 or Deep Chunk and my gut tells me to run Deep Chunk... but I'm going to pop them tonight or first thing tomorrow to there is room to make other considerations.

I will only be popping 6-8 seeds total of the genetics I choose, which hopefully should provide for at least 1 male (hopefully).

Maybe you guys can change my mind, or help me choose... I'm open to all of them next run, but the bolded ones I really am strongly considering...

What would you do?

The Deep Chunk x Sour Diesel sounds really nice to me and so does the 88G13/Hashplant. Out of the ones you have bolded though I would like to see the Monkey Balls get run. Whatever you choose should be fantastic though bud!
My eye was also on both of those... man, its like ordering food off a menu full of photos when you are stoned with the munchies... lol

Yea monkey balls I really am about ready to pop in the water now to crack them... might as well right? lol such a hard choice

Hey Icemud! Looks like some pretty great strains! I can't help because I don't know anything about them. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will turn out amazing!

:ganjamon:
Thanks Ween! yea hazeman really had a killer list of options to choose from, and had such amazing prices during the holiday sale, I couldn't help myself but to hoard some seeds from him :) lol.

My eye was also on both of those... man, its like ordering food off a menu full of photos when you are stoned with the munchies... lol

Yea monkey balls I really am about ready to pop in the water now to crack them... might as well right? lol such a hard choice
You may as well do it. No matter what you are going to second guess yourself. Best to go with your stomach and hope for the best! I hear you on the menu with pics while stoned. I have so many strains to choose from. I decided to start germing a Grape Marmalade from In House, a Sugar Cane from In House and a Chiesel from Big Buddah Seeds.

I've got to vote for the Monkey Balls! :cheer:

You convinced me to get that strain for breeding (if you count posting a description as "convincing"! :ganjamon:) which I won't start for a few months, so it'll be fun see what you get with your crosses first! :high-five:

And the winner looks clearly to be... Monkey Balls aka Deep Chunk!

I almost changed my entire decision to 88G13HP or 88' G-13 x Hashplant after looking at photos of all the strains, but I'm fascinated by deep chunks leaf and trichome formations and fragrances ranging from pine to hash to chocolate coffee. I'm stoked to give it a whirl.. so that's the choice and I will be putting some beans in some r/0 water and letting them warm overnight :) should be cracked by the morning if not latest tomorrow evening :)

Can't wait to get started with a new one, and the old project is still going :)

I'll get a few photos up tonight!!!

I appreciate all of you for helping me make the decision :) now lets get to business :) haha! Thanks everyone! hope you all are having a good night/day :)

Hey Ice I dont know if you saw it or not but on IG I saw someone post up a bunch of gear they got from CSI:Humboldt. In the gear they had a 20 pack of the Pine Tar Kush. People started complaining about how it was not offered on the site yet. CSI ended up commenting saying that they are working on getting all the logistics worked out with the original breeder they got them from so that they could share profits. They mentioned that they are hoping to be able to release them some time this year I believe it was.

Hey Ice I dont know if you saw it or not but on IG I saw someone post up a bunch of gear they got from CSI:Humboldt. In the gear they had a 20 pack of the Pine Tar Kush. People started complaining about how it was not offered on the site yet. CSI ended up commenting saying that they are working on getting all the logistics worked out with the original breeder they got them from so that they could share profits. They mentioned that they are hoping to be able to release them some time this year I believe it was.
Yea I have been keeping my eye out for their PTK... they had released a few packs early summer and spring of this year in online auctions, but the prices went so high I wasn't going to fork out what they were asking... Hopefully they release the PTK, definitely got my eyes on CSI :)

Hey Ice. I just sprayed a TGA Purgatory today. Crossing her to the TGA Cheese Quake to create Satan's Cheese ;) I'll keep ya updated if you like.
I dig the name Satan's cheese! haha! awesome!!!

Back
Top Bottom