MK-Ultra Hempy - C02 - 1000 Watts

Re: MK-Ultra Hempy, C02, 1000watts.

Hey doc, when you mentioned the Dynamite fert, were you referring to the organic time-release one that fertilizes for up to three months, or the chemical-based one that comes in the red jar that fertilizes for up to nine months?

Yeah slimm, I wasn't clear as to what you were saying. I get it now though. sorry bout all the confusion.

Hey doc, when you mentioned the Dynamite fert, were you referring to the organic time-release one that fertilizes for up to three months, or the chemical-based one that comes in the red jar that fertilizes for up to nine months?

Either or both! They have formulations for different soil temps as well. Nutricote is the identical product in a commercial version. I would probably get that.

The reason I prefer Dynamite over Osmocote is that the former has a complete offering of micronutes as well.

If this timed release thing proves out, it may be an ideal nutrient regime for mother plants. I'm a little skeptical about using it for bud production but am looking forward to seeing some results.

If this timed release thing proves out, it may be an ideal nutrient regime for mother plants. I'm a little skeptical about using it for bud production but am looking forward to seeing some results.

I can tell you, without a doubt that these ferts work. There is no question about that. The big issue is how does the product taste? If it tastes like a shoe doused in diesel and horseshit, then these nutes are not for me!

They would be ideal for a mother plant, IMO.

I've grown and eaten vegetables grown in soil, with Osmocote for fertilizer and they tasted fantastic.

That could be because these time-release ferts can be mixed into the top layer of the medium and just watered, so they could be replenished easily whenever they get used up.

Yep.

I need more free time, more lights, tents, drains and time. I want to grow so many different ways.....I'm torn.

From an Orchid gardeners forum:

A monthly growers advice column by Courtney Hackney. Hackneau@comcast.net

One aspect of advising hobbyists has gotten easier the past year and that relates to fertilizer. When a question relating to fertilizer comes from someone with just a few plants my recommendation to them is to purchase a small bag of Nutricote from Carter & Holmes or the same product sold by Home Depo under the trade name Dynamite (13-13-13 with minors). This product is timed to last six months, but in orchids, which are watered less frequently, it really lasts for a whole year. An application of Nutricote in late winter or early spring provides an even dose of fertilizer, including the minor elements. Most time-release fertilizers cannot make this claim.

By the time the release rate declines, the growing season is over. Nutrients accumulate in the medium over this time, but do not seem to reach toxic levels if pots are being soaked properly each time you water. In winter, many orchids, such as Cattleyas, prefer to be drier and fertilizer is typically withheld until the plant begins a new growth cycle. Vandas and phalaenopsis grow continuously, although their growth is limited by lower temperature and less light. My experiments with these groups and Nutricote have not gone on long enough to advise on whether to use a second dose after six months. In my greenhouse, phalaenopsis and vandas are watered more frequently and hanging baskets every sunny day. The Nutricote may be exhausted after six months with frequent watering.

Nutricote does not stay in baskets or in pots with very course media. It seemed that small pieces of fiberglass screen in baskets would keep the small gray pellets from washing out, but it did not. Embedding the fertilizer pellets in small clumps of osmunda fiber worked well and vanda roots quickly found their way into the mass of fiber and fertilizer. Despite direct contact with the Nutricote pellets there was no burn or damage to the roots. My latest trick was to place a teaspoon of the pellets in "Polyester Fibers". (Fiberfill is the brand name I use.) Tie the stuff around the vanda stem immediately under the lower leaves. This allows the fertilizer to leach out during each morning's watering and flow down the stem and onto roots. The experiment was done on a nearly dead vanda and the results were amazing. It is growing better than ever.

The only problem with the Polyester fiber is that it is white and ugly. Fortunately, within a month algae begin to grow all through the material. It is still ugly, but at least it is green.

How much Nutricote should you use on orchids? So far, I have not found a dosage that causes problems to roots. In fact, one plant purchased from a nursery that used the product contained at least one cup in a 6" pot. It was obviously spilled as most plants from the same nursery had a teaspoon or so. As soon as I realized how much was in the pot the plant was removed and the expectation was that all the roots were dead. They were not. In fact, the roots imbedded in and below the product were large and white. The plant was a Cattleya species with 7 pseudobulbs and was in the process of producing 6 new leads.

As with all new products, begin with low doses. In my first year, I used ¼ teaspoon of Nutricote in each five or six pot. Last spring, I increased the dose to ½ teaspoon and noticed only positive effects on plants. After the end of the spring growing season both Phalaenopsis and Paphiopedilums will have completed a whole year using Nutricote and the results reported in this column. If these genera bloom as well as they are growing, my expectation is that it will be recommended as well.

Authors' Note: No compensation or free products have been offered or supplied by the makers of Nutricote or Dynamite (shucks) for the endorsement of their product.

Could it really be that simple? I hope so!

I guarantee it really is that simple to grow the plants, get a good yield, etc. I am certain of that. Commercial nurseries grow plants using Nutricote (dynamite) all the time. I've grown nice, tasty vegetables for years using Osmocote.

The question I have is regarding the taste of the smoke.

I'll have some SLH from my little clone, grown with Osmocote....I'll let everyone know how it tastes when the time comes.

Could it really be that simple? I hope so!

I hope so too.

Like doc, I'd love a low-maintenance garden.

If it does pan out, I'm wondering what the best way would be to use these ferts in Hempies.

Regardless of the flushing issue, there is the issue of whether to distribute the nutes evenly throughout the medium, or to just mix them in at the bottom 2" or so, where the plant will be feeding the most.

Sounds like these magical little coated fert balls are very stable in their total release of nutes no matter the amount of moisture they're in, so it would seem that putting them in the res only would be the best option.

Can't wait to hear the smoke report, doc!

I hope so too.

Like doc, I'd love a low-maintenance garden.

If it does pan out, I'm wondering what the best way would be to use these ferts in Hempies.

Regardless of the flushing issue, there is the issue of whether to distribute the nutes evenly throughout the medium, or to just mix them in at the bottom 2" or so, where the plant will be feeding the most.

Sounds like these magical little coated fert balls are very stable in their total release of nutes no matter the amount of moisture they're in, so it would seem that putting them in the res only would be the best option.

Can't wait to hear the smoke report, doc!

I've been doing some more research on these nutes today. I had a small exchange with Uncle Ben, a legendary grower, and he recommends time released nutes in composted soil as the 'best' method. He claims that when salts are released slowly over time, the best results are obtained.

He recommended a product from Harrel's. Look them up.

I also learned that Osmocote has a great product:
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS 18-5-13
TOTAL NITROGEN (N) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18.00%
2.30% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
2.30% Urea Nitrogen
5.30% Other Water Soluble Nitrogen**
8.10% Water Insoluble Nitrogen
AVAILABLE PHOSPHATE (P2O5) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.00%
SOLUBLE POTASH (K2O) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13.00%
MAGNESIUM (Mg) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.20%
1.20% Water Soluble Magnesium
SULFUR (S) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.50%
6.50% Combined Sulfur
BORON (B) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.02%
COPPER (Cu) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.05%
0.05% Water Soluble Copper
IRON (Fe) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.20%
0.20% Water Soluble Iron
0.10% Chelated Iron
MANGANESE (Mn) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.08%
0.08% Water Soluble Manganese
MOLYBDENUM (Mo) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.02%
Derived from: Methylene urea, ammonium sulfate, ammonium
phosphate, potassium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, ferrous sulfate,
iron EDTA, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, boric acid and
sodium molybdate.
** 4.2% slowly available water soluble nitrogen from methylene
diurea and dimethylenetriurea.

this product can be used many different ways, but they recommend top dressing. I imagined putting a little screen on top of the pot with the Osmocote on it. When it's time to flush, remove the screen and most of the Osmocote.

There are dozens, perhaps up to 50 high quality time released ferts for commercial use out there. A 50 pound bag costs 47 bucks, and will last for a lifetime of growing!

I'm gonna do a test run of this, definitely.

They make some that increase release early on, and others that increase nutrient release later. They have micronutrient packages, and fertilizer that has pest control built in....all kinds of stuff. Not all of it is safe for consumption, but much of it is designed specifically for food.

Yes, it really is that easy.

Day 46 Flower:
They have, overnight, started to finish. I didn't have any red hairs 2 days ago, now there is noticeable. The plants aren't drinking as fast as they were either.

But first, my little Super Lemon Haze clone experiment. I have it in soil, no veg time, roots weren't even out of the rockwool, I just potted it.

I am also using Osmocote 14/14/14, Time Released Fert and water straight out of the tap.

This plant is ridiculously frosty and is green and perfect. I just hold it up to a faucet and water it...
IMG_05174.JPG

IMG_05183.JPG

IMG_05194.JPG

IMG_05204.JPG

IMG_05221.JPG

IMG_05231.JPG

IMG_05241.JPG

IMG_05252.JPG

The whole garden. the Casey Jones are going crazy.
IMG_05152.JPG

Your garden looks great Doc, and the super lemon haze looks like a good example that time release nutes can grow a beautiful plant. Can't wait to hear how it smokes/tastes.

Hey Doc! I'm loving this thread more every day. This is great info. Thanks for testing this out for all of us.

Have you seen the "earthboxes" at garden centers? They are basically tubs used for passive hydro that people use to grow vegetables on their patio. Yes, a hempy bucket, all dressed up to the tune of about $45. Anyhow, they fertilize with a stripe of granular organic nutes on top of the soil medium. The capillary action of the peat wicks up water from the bottom and slowly wets the stripe to release the nutes. You could mimic this by laying a flat pouch full of ferts on top of the perlite as you mentioned above. Or you could put the ferts in a round pouch and sink them to the bottom of the hempy by inserting a length of pvc down through the perlite before you plant. Attach a string to the pouch and haul it up when you flush. Just make sure to notch the bottom of the pipe to allow water in.

Hope this makes sense. feelin' pretty good right now. ;)

Hey Doc! I'm loving this thread more every day. This is great info. Thanks for testing this out for all of us.

Have you seen the "earthboxes" at garden centers? They are basically tubs used for passive hydro that people use to grow vegetables on their patio. Yes, a hempy bucket, all dressed up to the tune of about $45. Anyhow, they fertilize with a stripe of granular organic nutes on top of the soil medium. The capillary action of the peat wicks up water from the bottom and slowly wets the stripe to release the nutes. You could mimic this by laying a flat pouch full of ferts on top of the perlite as you mentioned above. Or you could put the ferts in a round pouch and sink them to the bottom of the hempy by inserting a length of pvc down through the perlite before you plant. Attach a string to the pouch and haul it up when you flush. Just make sure to notch the bottom of the pipe to allow water in.

Hope this makes sense. feelin' pretty good right now. ;)

Thanks for the info! Great ideas and they make perfect sense.

For my next grow, I'm going to do at least one 2 gallon pot with soil/time released fert. I want to do a side by side with the hempies, and I want to test out these nutes.

Very, very nice. Great looking garden..... Wonderful, healthy looking ladies. Great job....

Update: Day 49 Bloom.
The breeder says 8-9 weeks on this strain, so I reckon I've got about 10-12 days left till I chop.

First, Casey Jones, which is catching up rapidly to the MK Ultra.
IMG_05263.JPG

IMG_05335.JPG

Now, the MK Ultra. The shortest Cola is 13 inches, the longest just over 18.
IMG_05322.JPG

IMG_05293.JPG

IMG_05282.JPG

This is my problem plant. I just can't stop the yellowing, so I'm flushing and letting it finish. I don't know how much the yield will be effected, but the buds are large, dense and packed with resin.
IMG_05313.JPG

The whole garden. There are 4 tops on each Casey Jones all about 10 inches long. I got these plants on their 10th day of bloom and an expert grower had topped them, and then showed me how to prune them. I learned a ton, and will employ that knowledge on my future grows.
IMG_05303.JPG

IMG_05274.JPG

Back
Top Bottom