My Continuous Auto Closet Grow - Pink Salad!

Re: My continuous auto closet grow. Pink salad!

A mixer is one of the pieces I have ,along with a c1 Mic,a few other mics, the analog to digital USB adapter thingy, some outboard gear, and more I can't think of, I just write and record my Lil' death metal tunes , you plant seems to exhibiting classic signs of CS treatment not overly happy but a sex change is not all rainbows and puppies lol there's gonna be some pain before she's a he! Good work tho I've seen ppl burn em up with overly strong CS, really 10ppm will do the trick over 20 starts to get really harsh at 50 your almost guaranteed some real damage beyond that it gets dodgey they will survive! So it looks like good work to me!:high-five:

Yeah thanks buddy! I hate to see her like this, because it goes against my motherly instincts. lol. She would have been the best of the lot, but at least she can maybe pass on a bit of those genes to a new generation of females. Now I'm wondering about timing. I'd like to save some pollen, but mostly want to pollinate while she's blooming with male type flowers. I'm afraid the other plants may finish first tho. I've started nine new seeds already, and plan to sprout them in my new mini greenhouse gizmo. When I get about four females going I'm going to pull four of the weakest outta my closet , and put the new younger ones in there place, because I've noticed with stored pollen I will get seeds, but much less than with fresh pollen. I wanna try, and make over a 1000 female seeds. haha.

yeah no reason you cant pull it off the best think to do is start the females a week after the males, but the thing is as long as you get the female pollinated you'll get seeds its not like the mama is gonna stop and die before the beans are ready,she will live long past the due date of primo bud harvest time ,i had a cream caramel auto i left the bottom 4 buds to hermie and make self fem seeds after the harvest she ended up giving me a dozen seeds on her own and lived 5-6 months she even started growing new nodes after i put her under 24 hours light,lotta time ppl think autos will expire but its a plant and has no expiration date the thing is just that they flower and are ready for harvest fast,but for other purposes like breeding they will work with us better than we may anticipate, optimally yes timing will help get you a better yield of beans personally i think your gonna do really well hitting the 1k mark if you have several girls in waiting
now for pollen storage im excellent at this and have 2 yr old pollen thats still highly viable step1 is harvesting i supercrop the main stalk at the base so the plant is sideways and trim off some of the fan leaves that may catch pollen as it falls, i take a cookie sheet and waxed paper and set it so the pollen falls on the waxed paper every day i take a pencil and tap the stalk and make the pollen and sacks fall, after ive collected a few days worth i collect it into a small deep Tupperware /glad-ware and smash up the dried sacks to loosen as much as possible, then i use a common kitchen strainer to filter out as much of the flower parts as i can, then i dry it for a couple days in that same container in a not too cool dry location, now if you have some food grade ditomaceous earth great mix it 50/50 with the pollen at that point you can store it, however if you dont have DE there are a number of methods to add a desiccant,1 silica gel packets saved from every thing they came in,vitamins,shoes,jerky etc. ,dry rice,dry pinto beans,flour (must be baked dry @ 250-275f for 30 min before use to ensure dryness and sterility,these items can be mixed with the pollen flour and DE will increase your volume straight pollen is more than powerful enough to dilute and still produce high volume of seed it takes only 1-2 sacks to fully pollinate a whole room of girls :thumb:
, and there are a few products in the grocery/hardware store like damp-rid that will help, heres how mt pollen storage is setup large 1 gallon ziplock bag with 1 cup damp-rid dumped in (in hindsight i should have put it in an old sock or something) then an assortment of old rx bottles and plastic snuff cans (skoal,wolf etc, not paper wax lined cans like Copenhagen original)
inside each marked container (strain and reg,fem,hermi,etc) you will find silica gel packs and multiple waxed paper envelopes with repeated samples of each strain of pollen, i very quickly select what i want reseal everything and get it back into the coldest part of the freezer asap, the sample goes into the fridge for an hour or so, then i usually go straight to the plant thats to receive the pollen(previously pulled out and setup in a good spot to work) and with a q-tip and or a small paintbrush i dust the branch/plant then i attach a zip-tie loosely that i have marked with the date and strain of pollen i used ,then i leave it alone for 3-4 hours, then i mist the plant with distilled water to neutralize the pollen, return her to the garden and watch for the pistils to whither and dry (this is the clue that she prego oh and strange nute cravings lol) thats it really if you have any questions about this feel free, i realize it seems excessive but having viable pollen 2 years after storage is my proof that its effective

I love the long term frugality!! An elegant plan indeed!:thumb:

Excuse me if I am being a bit:lot-o-toke:

You started with Reg Automatic so you got some pollen and kept things going from home grown reg auto seeds, will the seeds from the CS use be 100% feminized?

I love the long term frugality!! An elegant plan indeed!:thumb:

Excuse me if I am being a bit:lot-o-toke:

You started with Reg Automatic so you got some pollen and kept things going from home grown reg auto seeds, will the seeds from the CS use be 100% feminized?

Yeah I'm pretty sure spraying females with Colloidal Silver, or Silver Thiosulfate Solution is how most seed banks are creating the feminized seeds they sell. There are a few other methods like a product called Tiresias Mist, or a hormone called Gibberellic Acid, or simply cause a stress induced sex change by messing with the plants light cycle, or overheating plants causing them to hermie.

But yes the seeds created should be 100% female unless contaminated somehow with regular pollen. :tokin:

Colloidal Silver is probably the one of safest most reliable methods. I'd also like to try the Silver Thiosulfate one day, but it pretty toxic stuff. The rest I've only read about.

-----------------------------------------
A female with male type flowers!
-----------------------------------------

Ok I started spraying plant 04 with Colloidal Silver on 12-8-13, and 11 days have passed.
And I believe I'm now seeing male type flowers forming. My camera is not the greatest.
But I've shot a photo for everyone to see what I'm seeing.

male-flowers-04.png

I'm really excited about the idea that this may actually work out! haha!!
You can see both female hairs, and male pods. :)

Both right and left images are the same photo.
I just zoomed in a bit on the right.

I did totally drench this plant for the first three days with Colloidal Silver.
But it started to look really unhealthy.
So after that I just started spraying the nodes, and buds.

Plant 13 I've only sprayed nodes, and buds.
It's about 3 days behind in Colloidal Silver treatment.
I really hope this works out!!!
The timing may be just right to get 6 females full of female seeds. YAY!

Yup that's it, you can spray couple more times if you want,but at this point the fem pollen sacks are well formed, if they don't open you will need to wait till the brown and dry some pick them off and crush to release pollen,if they open and pollen falls you can collect and dust females or put them in a room to gether turn on the red light *wink* with a fan and make a bunch of feminized seed, you did it buddy:thumb:

Yeah I'm going to spray it a few more times, and hope they pop open.
Thanks for checking it out bro! I'm doing the happy dance!! :party:

I'm just going to put them both surrounded by females, and let the girls have an orgy! lol :circle-of-love:

I'll post updates on their progress.

--------------------------------------
Added more lights to my closet!
--------------------------------------

I started my closet grow with homemade CFL light hoods.

And I've always thought about putting them back into my little grow room.

These hoods have six 23 watt CFL bulbs with a total of 138 watts each.

Adding them back into my closet gives me a total of 576 watts! lol

I decided to have CFL's on the left, and HPS lights on the right.

old-hood-01.png

old-hood-02.png

old-hood-03.png

I unpluged the HPS lights to avoid the wavy lines in the next photo.

old-hood-04.png

I got the basic build idea from this youtube video.

[video=youtube_share;Rs_QRorECvo]
[/video]

I used a three foot white extension cord, and six screw/clamp on cord light sockets.

Everything is held together with zipties, and I painted the hoods flat white inside.

My total cost for each unit including CFL bulbs was under 30 bucks.

I do plan to change out the hanging cables with chain.

So I can have better control of the height of my CFL hoods.

So far it's all staying cool. Heat was my biggest worry.

yup those diy cfl fixtures are great i have mine disassembled and in use around the house but it would take me 5 min to put it back together,mine was a power strip with plug to bulb adapters then y splitters so i can get 8 23 watt cfls into 1 power strip here a link to a lil diy i did simple as simple gets 5 min build time Lil cfl powerhouse for lil cash
an idea i have is put the transgendered plants in front with females behind them and blow a fan on low blowing their pollen into the girls behind and give the trannys a thump every day to knock pollen loose, i still think you should save and store some pollen so when you get a particularly special girl you can dust a few buds to selectively improve your stock , other wise i gotta say good job im proud of you many ppl should see and follow your method its well documented and presented a map to fem auto seeds so far :bravo::goodjob::thumb:

yup those diy cfl fixtures are great i have mine disassembled and in use around the house but it would take me 5 min to put it back together,mine was a power strip with plug to bulb adapters then y splitters so i can get 8 23 watt cfls into 1 power strip here a link to a lil diy i did simple as simple gets 5 min build time Lil cfl powerhouse for lil cash
an idea i have is put the transgendered plants in front with females behind them and blow a fan on low blowing their pollen into the girls behind and give the trannys a thump every day to knock pollen loose, i still think you should save and store some pollen so when you get a particularly special girl you can dust a few buds to selectively improve your stock , other wise i gotta say good job im proud of you many ppl should see and follow your method its well documented and presented a map to fem auto seeds so far :bravo::goodjob::thumb:

Yeah thanks buddy! I made all the seeds I use under these CFL hoods. After I was successful I bought the HPS hoods, and just rehung the HPS on the same hooks. I was always thinking of adding them back into my grow space.

You know I did a lot of online research how to do all this stuff cheaply, and didn't really come up with these ideas myself. I didn't realize when we first started chatting I was getting ideas from you already about feminizing seeds. I spent a lot of time reading everything available. Like 420 member Grannies grow log on feminizing seed. I went back there recently, and saw how you were adding your part with the CS making gizmos. It's pretty cool how forums can help move ideas along, and help bring them together.

I still have 2/3rds of a bottle of my CS mix left. I going to feminize my other strain next! :)

Love the CFL hood! Just the job:thumb::goodjob:

More importantly, congratulations on the bud success, fantastic to see:party:

Thanks buddy! I can't wait to see your Northern Lights and Big Bud Automatic finish up.

I'm dying to grow that one myself. One day I'll even make some into my own female seeds!

Yup these forums are a godsend this one being the cream of the crop,more info than you can absorb in any short time,a resource like no other,live action encyclopedia! Ol grannie did the first CS for autos thread in existence that I know of, she did some fine work in that thread, as well as many others,my contribution was making CS more accessible and a safer version,I'm fixing on cs'n a whole bunch of strains shortly under my mars2 gonna do sour diesel#2,girl scout cookies,og kush,blue dream,bubba og and pineapple skunk,maybe blueberry headband but I spotted some pollen sacks on the one in flower so I'm not sure

That's awesome! I'm hopping this works out. Pulling up males all the time sucks. :ganjamon:

--------------------------------------------------
Female plant 04 at 14 days CS treatment
--------------------------------------------------

I first spotted male type flowers on this female three days ago, but continue to spray with Colloidal Silver.
Some of the pollen flowers are getting really large, and yellow looking.
I check both of the plants carefully every morning for open male flowers.
Seeing none I spray them down again. I'm hoping to find some open very soon. :thumb:

plant04-male-flowers02.png

The photo above is the top of plant number 04.

plant04-male-flowers01.png

This photo turned out pretty good. :yahoo:
I just kept shooting a bunch of photos, and looked through them for the best ones. :thanks:

-------------------------
Plant number 12
-------------------------

This strange phenotype has caught my eye.
At first it grew super low in the pot.
It spread out large fan leaves, and got bushy like a garden weed.
It was the shortest of the bunch.
Now its grown to the second tallest.
Gotten very branchy, and is slow to bud.

plant-12.png

The other plants have more bud growth, but this one is turning into a bush.
I wonder how it will turn out. :thumb:

Looking fantastic, are you going to pollinate the strange pheno? :passitleft:

Yeah everythings going to get it. I'm not even going to take my transgendered plants outta the room. I'll bag each plants seeds in it's own storage bag labeled with phenotype. This type of plant doesn't really suit my style of closet growing tho. Supposed to be a SOG of all single cola plants. This pheno is kinda wild, and outta control. I counted eight branches. Some almost as high as the main cola, and it seems to still be stretching. At one point it looked like a cabbage. lol :biglaugh:

Back
Top Bottom