My first cupboard grow

andy2276

420 Member
Howdy all,

Living in Camberra (AUS) so as they say in the classics.....winter is coming. Have a fully enclosed are 1.5w x 0.8d x 1.8 h running a Mars SP 3000....i am not a brand name guy, just done some research in my time.

So decided to up challenge to myself to grow better...quality above all else. Followed religiously Captiain good vibes grow methods....amazing.

Here are my three girls at 5 weeks,
- First top 5th node
- Second top start of week 4.
Pot size 30cm bunnings special
Nuts are 3.5ml per ltr...3 ltrs per plant every two days...nuts each watering.
Running 27degree managed by oil heater and an inkbird

Pictures attached are at day 32

Left unknown, middle Mowie Wowie right unknown same as left.

After any insight to any pertential issues.

Cheers all

20230505_181117.jpg

20230505_181108.jpg

20230505_181058.jpg

20230505_181055.jpg

Welcome to the 420mag family Andy! :welcome:
That's what we like to see pictures on a first date 😉 🤣 have you done a bit of low stress training on them aswell? Nice little set up!
Looks like the may have been given a bit too much love but still doing alright especially if it's a first attempt 👍🏽
Do you know your ec or ppm going in or draining out the bottom and also your pH?

Once some of the other members have had their wake and bake I'm sure you'll receive some links with great advice on watering.

Oh are you growing in soil?

✌🏽

Welcome to the site @andy2276 !

Looks like you are off to a  very good start. Those plants do look like they could use a bit of thinning, though. That will help with better air circulation as well as allow the plant to focus its resources on fewer, but larger, colas once you get to flower.

Lots of ways to grow this plant in small spaces. I'm partial to SIP containers for watering and Quadline training for structure, both links are in my signature.

Watering is one of the things that trip up a lot of growers, especially new ones. You can either learn the proper ways (emilya has a good tute Here) or you can skip the learning curve altogether and come join us in #SIP Club where you'll get perfect watering every time leading to bigger, healthier, and happier plants.

For training in a small space, you'll need to do something to keep them under control after you flip. They'll likely stretch 2-3x their pre-flip size after you flip to 12/12, so keep your maximum available height in mind when you decide when to change the light schedule. You give a measurement of 1.8 high, which I assume is in meters, but you'll also need to deduct some space to allow for maintaining proper distance from the light at their tallest (about 3 weeks after flip) so you may be ready pretty soon.

Keep us posted on your progress. Will you be starting a journal for the grow, or just using this thread for updates?

Welcome to the site @andy2276 !

Looks like you are off to a  very good start. Those plants do look like they could use a bit of thinning, though. That will help with better air circulation as well as allow the plant to focus its resources on fewer, but larger, colas once you get to flower.

Lots of ways to grow this plant in small spaces. I'm partial to SIP containers for watering and Quadline training for structure, both links are in my signature.

Watering is one of the things that trip up a lot of growers, especially new ones. You can either learn the proper ways (emilya has a good tute Here) or you can skip the learning curve altogether and come join us in #SIP Club where you'll get perfect watering every time leading to bigger, healthier, and happier plants.

For training in a small space, you'll need to do something to keep them under control after you flip. They'll likely stretch 2-3x their pre-flip size after you flip to 12/12, so keep your maximum available height in mind when you decide when to change the light schedule. You give a measurement of 1.8 high, which I assume is in meters, but you'll also need to deduct some space to allow for maintaining proper distance from the light at their tallest (about 3 weeks after flip) so you may be ready pretty soon.

Keep us posted on your progress. Will you be starting a journal for the grow, or just using this thread for updates?
Cheers,

Funny thing was I thinned them when I topped them...maybe not enough..normally brutal with the rest of my gardens.

I am hoping to get full 8 weeks veg but will see.

Might look at the journal option

Thinning them often causes a growth spurt so you'll have to keep at it. If you look closely at each branch you'll see the nodes spiral around it, starting off with opposite nodes before it is sexually mature and then changing to alternating nodes.

I remove the nodes that start growing both straight up and straight down, which is every other pair in both scenarios.

Given where you are in the grow, I'd start with Em's watering thread. It's pretty long but most of what you'll need is in the first few pages if I recall correctly, with the exception that in flower she no longer gives them a dry out period every cycle.

Thanks for the reply.

Growing
2 parts coco coir
1 part pearlite
1 part tomato potting mix
Nice I'll be running just Coco and perlite in my latest journal but my last journal (journal 1) was similar to your set up now a coir compost and I used organic nutrients with them.. because of the soil or compost it just ment I had to let it dry back a little bit more compared to pure coco to keep my plants happy but as long as I watered to run off at the correct ec and pH they stayed very happy.. also with your set up it's very easy to see and correct any issues 👌🏽

If you do start a journal give me a shout by putta @ before my name and I'll follow along 👍🏽

Howdy all,

Living in Camberra (AUS) so as they say in the classics.....winter is coming. Have a fully enclosed are 1.5w x 0.8d x 1.8 h running a Mars SP 3000....i am not a brand name guy, just done some research in my time.

So decided to up challenge to myself to grow better...quality above all else. Followed religiously Captiain good vibes grow methods....amazing.

- First top 5th node

Cheers all

20230505_181117.jpg

20230505_181108.jpg

20230505_181058.jpg

20230505_181055.jpg
Beautiful Garden :thumb:
Welcome to 420Magazine my friend. :ciao::welcome::high-five:
I'm looking forward to your journal.
Keep up the good work.
Take care.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

Welcome to 420 Magazine @andy2276

I see you have a healthy and happy garden going. :welldone:
What kind of nutrients are you using?

Here's some helpful info.

Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link. This is where you place your journal.

Journals in Progress

Current and Ongoing
www.420magazine.com

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests
Win Cool 420 Prizes
www.420magazine.com

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Howdy all,

- First top 5th node

Cheers all

20230505_181117.jpg

20230505_181108.jpg

20230505_181058.jpg

20230505_181055.jpg
Nice looking plants

looks pretty healthy. i see a couple things i'm curious about.

Thanks for the reply.

Growing
2 parts coco coir
1 part pearlite
1 part tomato potting mix

are you under hydro or soil rules and ph ? are you ph'ing at all ? is the media buffered ?

you have a hybrid mix between two different media, normally most go with one. there are a few folk that run hybrid successful, they usually follow one or the other media sets depending on the mix.

you are super super leafy. would be a result of the tomato mix. tomato mix / nutes has a tendency to make densely thick leaves, but don't build bud sites as well. the plant spends a pile of time making leaf and small branching, instead of a structure more open with area for the bracts to build in bud.

are you flipping soon ? with that much plant already you are going to be toying with root binding in flower. they are ready to go now. i would open them up / defol a bit more as a precaution against bud rot. you're gonna want airflow through those plants.

finally i'd get a covering on that floor. raw wood is not a great floor, and that chipboard is the worst choice of all in an environment that has water and soils. it doesn't have to be fancy, something waterproof would be best, but really just anything other than the raw wood.

Thanks for the comment so as it stands,

The media was coco coir pre mag from bunnings, the tomatoes potting soil does not have any fert in it..all my fert is added manually. I am running PH at approx 6 and every watering gets checked and nutrients added as per schedule.

I would say I am sticking to a hydro watering set up more so. The extra soil let's me go two days without any dramas. Can push to 4 days if needed...but at present I don't need to. I am also trialling this for when I do my next crop outside.

I intend to do another defoliation in the next two weeks before I flip the lights. Then stretch and lollipop them.

The floor is sealed but didn't get to redoing the paint as I am not pushing for light going low. Previously had reflective but PIA to be honest

Hope this covers some of your thoughts

no matter what you are rolling great. :love:

The media was coco coir pre mag from bunnings, the tomatoes potting soil does not have any fert in it

what makes it "tomato soil" ? curious as typically, a tomato soil mix is all kinds of stuff here, and often comes with timed release nutes that take the control away from the grower for feeding. can cause all sorts of nute stuff out of the blue.

i get how it holds the extra water. i do something similar in an outdoor vegetable hydro garden. i use a mix of non nuted and nuted "garden soil", and feed lightly from the bottom. i turn it and re-use it every year.

I am running PH at approx 6 and every watering gets checked and nutrients added as per schedule.

close enough to hydro rules at 5.8.

I intend to do another defoliation in the next two weeks before I flip the lights. Then stretch and lollipop them.

they're gonna be thick lol.

The floor is sealed but didn't get to redoing the paint as I am not pushing for light going low. Previously had reflective but PIA to be honest

good idea. reflective from underneath doesn't work. they hate that. something non reflective is what would be natural.

cannabis and most other plants don't like light from underneath. that's the reason the dark tougher part of the leaf is on top, it's where the photosynthesis occurs, and the lighter part is always on the backside.

:)

The tomato soil here is loose more fibrous, not as much crap in it to compact down..a few larger bark bits but I pull them out. I was able to get a non fert version with no slow release in it...

it sounds good. is it peat based ?

Not entirely sure tbh but do think so as it feels more airy but nothing like my orchid mixes

i ask as peat either needs to be buffered or needs ph. the stuff tosses everything high. i'm from canada, we know a lot about old school peat lol

Back
Top Bottom