Obi's Aurora Indica - Indoor - T5 - Perlite Hempy

I was pleasantly surprised to see my journal subscriptions explode with new posts this morning. So many journals with updates! Then I realized the mods had simply made a pass through old journals and moved them to the abandoned section. Darn.

I like the back and forth and sharing of ideas, successes and failures here. I have learned a lot from the knowledge and experience shared by others before me. I've taken little pieces of info from here and there and tried to tailor them to my needs.

There is science behind the madness in our grows we but there is also an art to it as well.

Rock on Cannabis Artists!

/Obi Wan Cannabinoid
:Namaste:

TL:DR

I made some Canna Oil this weekend, cooked up some brownies and went to a rock concert for a few hours.

That's right, I put the TL:DR at the beginning. You're welcome.

--

So, yeah, I made some oil. After testing a couple possibilities for relatively low and slow heating I had two viable options. One at 165F and one at 230F. I chose the 230F version and got busy.

My ingredients:
  • 10g of Northern Lights flowers - ground
  • 0.5 tsp grinder kief
  • 0.5 cup Olive oil
  • 1 Pinch of Soy Leichten

I mixed all of the ingredients together in a small crock pot, brought it up to temp, and simmered the concoction for 2.5 hours. I have some heavy duty ventilation in my lab so smell wasn't really an issue while cooking in the crock pot. Direct vent outside and a breezy day was perfect.

After removing from heat and allowing everything to cool for about 30 minutes I strained the oil through a coffee filter. Straining was taking longer than I liked (pressed for time before the evenings outing) so I wrapped the grounds/filter in some cheesecloth and squeezed the piss out of it.

Squeezing was fast but messy and I got a lot of oil on my hand. I began to feel a little giggly about an hour later. Either the act of making the oil or getting it on my skin made me a little giddy.

Back to straining/squeezing... The cooked Cannabis and Olive oil slurry smelled unpleasant. Gone was the nice floral Cannabis smell and in it's place was a roasted/toasted garbage smelling oil with heavy sediment sitting at the bottom of the pot.

Everything was moving along covertly until I carried the completed 1/3 cup of Canna Oil mixture out of the lab, through the house, and up to the kitchen where I had the remaining cooking ingredients prepped. That cleared out the house. The wife took the cats and new dog and went outside not to return until all cooking was done. She could not take the smell. She will tolerate the fragrant late night cabinet and grow maintenance but the mid day cooking was too much. Fair enough.

Moving on... I finished up the cooking and brought the resulting brownies outside to cool. That was my quiet thank you gesture to my wife for putting up with the experiment. That and I made dinner while she ran errands :) Go team!

About an hour before the concert a friend and I put our feet up in the garage, enjoyed some brownies and vaped a couple grams Northern Lights. I am experienced with Cannabis. He is not. I tried my best to explain what, why and how I cooked the brownies to give an idea about contents, possible effects and dosing cautions. I consumed a little over 1/3 of the pan of brownies. He had a little under 1/4. About 1/2 the pan between the two of us.

Ninety minutes later while waiting for the concert to begin I could feel the brownies kicking in. I sat comfortably in my nosebleed seat and began analysing how I felt and looked over at my friend. He was feeling some paranoia exacerbated by the steep venue seating. Perhaps too much brownie or vape. In hind sight I should have had him stick to one or the other.

After another 30 minutes (2 hours total so far) I think I hit my plateau. I was near the end of the vape dose but the brownie dose lingered. It felt different. I could feel an unfamiliar physical effect compared to vapor/smoke. My gums and lips tingled with a narcotic buzz sensation. I didn't feel high. I felt relaxed. I was content to sit there and simply take it all in.

The concert was pretty good. The musicians played. The singer sang. There were a lot of cameras recording the show. Presumably for a music video, movie or promotional material. Sound quality and production value were much higher than that of a typical rock show which was curious.

I'm not sure if I experienced a come down from the brownies. I felt tired but conversational on the way home from the show. My friend decided to forgo driving home and spent the night (very good choice buddy). After getting everybody situated and tucked in for the night I hit my bedtime vape dose and crawled into bed at around 2am myself.

I woke up Monday morning loathing another day at the office. Back to my usual self.

A wake n vape did not sound appealing. Other than that all systems are nominal. I want to sample another serving of brownies in a more controlled home environment. Between work and life it's going to be difficult to carve out a large enough chunk of time for additional tests.

To be continued...

/Obi
:peace:

I was pleasantly surprised to see my journal subscriptions explode with new posts this morning. So many journals with updates! Then I realized the mods had simply made a pass through old journals and moved them to the abandoned section. Darn.

I like the back and forth and sharing of ideas, successes and failures here. I have learned a lot from the knowledge and experience shared by others before me. I've taken little pieces of info from here and there and tried to tailor them to my needs.

There is science behind the madness in our grows we but there is also an art to it as well.

Rock on Cannabis Artists!

/Obi Wan Cannabinoid

Agreed! Rock On! :hookah:

TL:DR

I made some Canna Oil this weekend, cooked up some brownies and went to a rock concert for a few hours.

That's right, I put the TL:DR at the beginning. You're welcome.

A wake n vape did not sound appealing. Other than that all systems are nominal. I want to sample another serving of brownies in a more controlled home environment. Between work and life it's going to be difficult to carve out a large enough chunk of time for additional tests.

To be continued...

/Obi

Thanks Obi - Actually I read every word. I imagined I was going to create such a Tl;Dr account of how the application of medical cannabis is ameliorating my particular issues, mainly due to the fact that I am a prime case study. Was abstinent for so long and am at the beginning of a dosing process etc.

But, I cannot write as you do. You have a keen ability for the documentation process, and this is a struggle for me, even though I know exactly what I want to say. Now, speaking volumes is no problem for me LOL!

Glad you had a Grand Experiment and a wife willing to tolerate your process

:cheesygrinsmiley:

The only suggestion I would make would be to use butter...something about the animal fat...

The only suggestion I would make would be to use butter....

Great short story dude! I found such familiarity with it at points I was chuckling to myself. Well written, and truly entertaining to read. I would mirror catman's statement though and not only because of the animal fat, but simply the flavor. Baked goods are sooooo much better with a good grass-fed butter. In fact, I love olive oil, but the thought of choking down olive oil brownies makes this story even better man.

:cool:

Log Date:
10/21/2014
Growth Stage:Flower
Veg Days (Weeks):61d (8w)
Flower Days (Weeks):21d (3w)
Total Days (Weeks):82d (11w)
Health:Healthy
Canopy Temp Max: 86F/30C
Canopy Temp Min:68F/20C
Ceiling Temp Avg:78F/25C
Floor Temp Avg:75/24C
RH Min:35%
RH Max:
60%
Water Type:
RO
GH Flora-Grow:
0ml
GH Flora-Micro:0ml
GH Flora-Bloom:0ml
GH CALiMAGic5ml
pH:5.7
PPM:???
Light Schedule:
12/12

Light Type:T5HO
Color Temp:
Red 3000K

Notes: No need to raise the light this week.

/Obi

A quick thumbs up for the Boveda 62 humidity control packs. My NL has the most awesome feel to it. Just the right amount of dry through and through. No burping, no fuss.

Here are a few pics. One is just a random nug chunk before grinding. The others try to depict the moisture content in the freshly ground flower. The material will hold its shape with a very light press yet crumbles apart easily.

/Obi

I use C-Vaults with Boveda packs. Here is their site: CVault® & EVault™ | Straight from the Manufacturer | The Original

You can order Boveda packs from them or you can get the packs from many different places: BovedaPacks.com is your best source for Boveda Humidification Packs

I swear by them now. They provide care-free storage and perfect RH. My 3-month cured buds are perfect. I've cured in them for up to 6 months and the stuff that came out of them was perfectly cured. I've had them for over a year and still use some of the same packs though they are starting to get crumbly inside (an indicator they need to be changed out soon).

Thanks for the information on the Boveda. I have read about them for a long time, and know people who use that company to keep their expensive cigars perfect.

I heard mixed reviews on them for Cannabis, but you and Gov seem to love them.

Would they work if I just toss them into a mason jar? Or would I be better off grabbing the C-vaults.

I always have done the old school methods of burping the jar, but I think it is time to step my name up.

The grow is on autopilot and doing well. No real changes to mention. Flowers are still stacking and filling in. I'm still doing a feed, feed, water regimen. I thinned out the top 12 inches of fan leaves and haven't noticed any negative effect. The plants are dropping lower leaves on their own which is fine. Losing maybe 10 leaves/week or so total. Things are green and getting frosty.

I, however, am going through a rough patch and am seeking professional help. The stakes are high so I've created an arsenal of help for myself by reaching out to family, doctors, psychiatrists, and psychologists. Digging deep and driving hard to get to a good place. I've set Cannabis use aside for the time being as part of my own process of elimination and evaluation. Before the docs and whatnot. Thankfully, putting it on hold was much easier for me than I had anticipated. I wasn't sure how I would handle having piles of weed around while abstaining. Turns out it's fine. I have bigger fish to fry right now.

I'll be around. I'm not going anywhere. I'm just doing a little soul searching, answering tough questions with honest answers and planning the remaining half of my life :love:

/Obi

I've written countless pages about my struggles that never get posted, lol. Too off topic I suppose but it does affect the grow. I wouldn't mind sharing but I don't want readers to feel like they need to help. I have that under control. Perhaps when I find my place I can share how I got there, what worked for me and what didn't. I dunno.

/Obi

Sharing is symbiotic. It can help you process an issue(s) and it can help others understand and learn without having to directly experience it themselves. I would assume it's nothing you haven't heard before. I guess I'm just saying...share when it feels right man.

:peace::cool:

I could not have said it better than Gov.

I sincerely hope things fall into the right place for you Obi. We will be here when you are ready.

All the best -

Log Date:
10/27/2014
Growth Stage:Flower
Veg Days (Weeks):61d (8w)
Flower Days (Weeks):27d (3w)
Total Days (Weeks):88d (12w)
Health:Healthy
Canopy Temp Max: 88F/31C
Canopy Temp Min:63F/17C
Ceiling Temp Avg:78F/25C
Floor Temp Avg:75/23C
RH Min:29%
RH Max:
56%
Water Type:
RO
GH Flora-Grow:
1ml
GH Flora-Micro:4ml
GH Flora-Bloom:6ml
GH CALiMAGic5ml
pH:5.7
PPM:650
Light Schedule:
12/12

Light Type:T5HO
Color Temp:
Red 3000K

Notes: The RH of my home is @ 54%.

The pictures above are pre cabinet/plant maintenance to illustrate the mid bloom fan leaf fade and general appearance before I intervene.

/Obi

Back
Top Bottom