Obi's Aurora Indica - Indoor - T5 - Perlite Hempy

"obi wan kenobi....now theres a name ive not heard in a long time,....a long time"
subbed ,love my indica plants looking forward to this, im about to sprout an afghani gold seed :)

Welcome aboard indica vet. It's good to have you along. If you decide to do a journal send me a link sometime :)

/Obi

I'm feeling pretty good about the grow progress so far. With one grow under my belt I felt a little less anxious about the germination and seedling stages. My germination methods have worked 100% to date :) for a massive total of 13 of 13 seeds popped :p. I am seeing familiar and timely growth which is encouraging. Additionally, this is a photosensitive strain this time. I am hoping if I mess something up during veg I might have a chance to recover by extending the 18/6 light schedule as needed.

I'm curiously waiting for the taproot to make it to the bottom of the bucket. Once that happens I'll sigh a bit of relief. I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants regarding the feeding volume. Perhaps I should have went with smaller buckets. Currently these 5 gallon buckets seem really big but it's what I had on hand and went with it.

I have been gradually increasing the frequency of deep watering. The buckets are quite heavy now. I haven't had any run off yet but expect to see some within the next feeding or two. So far I've simply been dividing one gallon of water/nutes between the three plants and following a [feed][feed][water] schedule. I'll be getting in at least one plain ph'd watering each week now that they are established.

Speaking of being established, my watering technique for established plants is to saturate the area directly below the drip line and outwards until measurable run off can be obtained for testing or discarded. Once the plant canopy reaches the edge of the container I saturate the outer 75% of growing media working slowly from the middle towards the outer edge of the container. This seems to help the water and nutes penetrate the growing media rather than running down the sides of the container and right out the bottom. Hopefully this technique applies to this Perlite/Hempy method as well.

I'm about to lower the T5 a few inches to about 17in above the canopy. I would like to keep stretch to a minimum. Also, I will be adjusting the circulation fans to provide some turbulence to the leaves and help strengthen the stems.

I will be planning and building a SCROG framework in a few weeks. This will provide support for the plants (Perlite does not make for a sturdy growing media) as well as help me control the canopy height later in the grow.

Since we are on the topic of growth control I will also mention that I plan to top each of the plants once, maybe twice if one is racing ahead of the others. This will be a new technique for me and I'm looking forward to the task.

On the subject of veg time and flower time my initial plan is to veg for eight weeks flipping on or around October 1. I have allotted [time] for a twelve week flower duration rather than the seven to nine listed by the breeder and currently anticipate completing the grow and enjoying the harvest around January 1, 2015.

A quick tidbit regarding some goals for this grow. I would like to harvest 255g (about 9oz) of cured flowers. That suggests hitting about 0.64gpw. I think that is doable. I hit 0.5gpw last time with this light although that was with 7 plants. Additionally, I would also like to finish with a more potent harvest. I like the flavors and smells of the Northern Light Auto I grew last but I feel like it's on the week side. My learning curve is sure to blame for that.

I had plans to change to LED for this grow. That got moved to "when I flip to flower". Some unexpected bills popped up so I'm not sure finances will allow it right now. If I can make it work I'll switch to LED in October otherwise it will have to wait until early 2015. Prpbably 2015 if I'm being honest with myself. I want to pick up (2) Mars II 400 watt lights for my grow box. I think they will work really well for my space and help with heat and light output.

One last note: I removed the carbon filters on each end of the ventilation run. I wanted to increase the air movement and extract more heat from the grow box in a shorter amount of time now that we are in the peak summer months. There is no smell currently and I also want to swap out the 4 inch filter at the end of the run with a new 6 inch. The 4 inch is too small for the amount of air flow I'm putting through it. It's too restrictive.

Sorry for the wall of text :O

TL:DR
  • Happy
  • Excited
  • Waiting for taproot to hit bottom
  • Inside out watering technique
  • Lowering the light soon
  • SCROG in a few weeks
  • Plan to top once
  • Anticipate 8 week veg / 12 week flower
  • Hoping for 0.65gpw or 255g
  • Wanting more potency
  • The move to LED this year is questionable
  • Running wide open exhaust

Cheers,
/Obi
:Namaste:

Welcome aboard indica vet. It's good to have you along. If you decide to do a journal send me a link sometime :)

/Obi

cheers mate....ive got 19 years of HID hydro under my belt tried heaps of different methods...but something i never tried was CFL so i am currently 3 weeks weeks into flower in a micro stealth grow (3 drawer filing cab ,wood, twin 130 watt HO growlush CFL'S SCROG
and everything is just perfect ,ph has been solid throughout grow....i could keep going on so give me a week or two to check out a few legalities and if sweet i shall post my CFL journal ,got all photos and info up to date. :)
and i will definately give CFL lamps theyre due as you will see when i get journal up and running ;)

about to start a 600 watt mh/hps grow in 1.2 x 1.2 x 2 meters tent with a nice indica strain ;)
so will get that sorted as journal also ....may the force be with you :)

And I wouldn't worry about checking runoff. It's an inert grow medium so you get out what you put in. So far in my experience the 3 gallon buckets seem better. You get runoff every watering and even after 4 months the roots didn't swirl or get bound.

Heya PeytonManning, thanks for dropping by.

This is my first try with hempy buckets. I agree, 3gal would have been sufficient I believe.

/Obi-Wan Cannabinoid
:Namaste:

I think you'll be very happy with the hempy results, especially after seeing how little you have to do. I can't wait to see how this aurora comes out. Should be a beast

I found an easier way to keep the seedlings supplied with water in their early days. I use a piece of 1/2 inch white nylon braided rope stood vertically in the medium from the bottom of the Hempy bucket to the top of the medium and plant my jiffy puck touching it. The piece of rope wicks enough solution up to the seedling and gives it a highway to the reservoir. I have also used a rolled up page from a newspaper with good though less aesthetic results. This allows me to use straight perlite easier.

I found an easier way to keep the seedlings supplied with water in their early days. I use a piece of 1/2 inch white nylon braided rope stood vertically in the medium from the bottom of the Hempy bucket to the top of the medium and plant my jiffy puck touching it. The piece of rope wicks enough solution up to the seedling and gives it a highway to the reservoir. I have also used a rolled up page from a newspaper with good though less aesthetic results. This allows me to use straight perlite easier.

Hey Roots, thanks for the tips!

Hey Obi Wan, subbed up. Can't wait to see this grow develop.

shadowman, it's good to see you my friend :)

/Obi

Log Date:
08/05/2014
Growth Stage:Veg
Veg Days (Weeks):5d (0w)
Flower Days (Weeks):0d (0w)
Total Days (Weeks):5d (0w)
Health:Pale Green
Canopy Temp Max: 88F/31C
Canopy Temp Min:73F/22C
Ceiling Temp Avg:83F/28C
Floor Temp Avg:83F/28C
RH Min:30%
RH Max:
55%
Water Type:
Distilled
GH Flora-Grow:
5ml
GH Flora-Micro:4ml
GH Flora-Bloom:10ml
pH:5.8
PPM:730
Light Schedule:
18/6

Light Type:T5HO
Color Temp:
Blue 6500K

Notes: Leaves looked slightly pale. I bumped up the nute strength and fed. We'll see if the young plants burn. I used GH Flora Series "Simple Drain to Waste" week 2 recommendation.
/Obi

Looking at the plants they seem to be showing some initial signs of stress. The true leaves are losing their deep shade of green. Perhaps a little malnourished, a bit of heat stress or a little of both. I am greatly anticipating observing the results of last nights feeding later tonight.

I lost another 6 inch inline fan. Bearings are shot. No more cheap online fans. I went to the local hydro store to pick up a new one. I figured I'd pick up some CalMag while I was there just to have some on hand. Just in case. As luck would have it local road construction knocked out the hydro shop's payment and communication systems and I was unable to make a purchase at that time. I'll have to try again later this evening. Meanwhile temps are on the rise. I have the old fan running but it's torture on the ears. Random high speed fan blade wobble.

Summer temperatures are such that I think I will forgo the fan speed controller this time and just run the fan WFO. The other had been running at 95% anyway.

I forgot what else I was gonna write :/

/Obi

Oh, I lowered the light a little last night. It's at about 17in from the canopy. Also I found that buying RO water from the local supermarket is 23% cheaper than buying the distilled water. TDS check showed 20ppm and a pH test read 6.0. Additionally, I can re-use and re-fill the one gallon water container(s) saving on refuse and recycling.

I was able to purchase and install the new 6 inch inline fan last night. I hope it will be my last replacement fan for a while. I'm going to operate the ventilation system without the carbon filter for a bit. There is no detectable smell to scrub yet and it seems wasteful, considering their limited lifespan, to use the filter without need.

Checking on the plant health last night revealed no significant change in the color of foliage. No better, no worse. It would appear that the plants took to the full strength feeding well. I could see obvious growth on two plants and no signs of nutrient burn on any (yet) so I'm optimistic that I haven't over fed. I feel like I may have been too cautious with the nutes during the early stages of the last grow.

I think germination and the vegetative stages are my favorite stages of growing Cannabis so far. Perhaps it's the anticipation of the unknown. Will it really germinate? Will it be a healthy sprout? Can I keep it alive for it's first ten days of growth? If so, then what? Lol. During my previous grow I simply let the plants grow au naturel to observe their normal genetic growth tendencies. I had never seen a live Cannabis plant and wasn't sure how big it would get inside my grow space. This time, with some experience under my belt and a handful of misplaced confidence, I'm going to play Dr. Funkenstein during veg and employ some HST and LST and see where it gets me.

I don't mean to devalue the flowering and ripening stages. Not in the least. For me those are the pay off from earlier diligence. There's still a lot of work to be done later in a grow but the tasks shift a little from manipulating to maintaining as you support the fruits of your efforts as they fill in. Flowering is a little slower pace visually. Waiting for the Trichomes to mature can be akin to waiting for water to boil. The harder I watch, the longer it takes. Grrrr :)

/Obi

Yeah, the more you watch them the slower they grow it seems. I still want to grow a plant from veg to harvest naturally. I hope I have the space to do one someday. Might just hang my light from garage rafters and grow a tree someday. So you got some updated pics for us? Can never have too much

Back
Top Bottom