Obi's Aurora Indica - Indoor - T5 - Perlite Hempy

Looking great!! Yes, maybe a little tight but trim and training will do wonders.

The plants appear to have fully recovered from the topping. New growth is coming in nicely and they've recently had a deep watering. They did look a little thirsty yesterday. A couple larger fan leaf stems were pretty droopy.

I'm going to see how they look tonight. If they look good I'm going to grab my snips, pull up a chair and let them tell me where to trim. I know there's some new undergrowth that is pretty shaded. With a little light perhaps it will grow up to the scrog net.

/Obi

I have too many irons in the fire right now, lol. My mind is bouncing from here to there to here again. My posts today may be a little disconnected or seem to come from out of the blue. I feel like if I don't at least jot something down while I have a brief moment I won't get to it at all. Kind of like my plant care lately.

A couple thoughts on my grow box...

What I like about it:
  • The wood construction has some noise insulating properties which helps keep fan noise inside the box.
  • I can easily screw, nail or otherwise attach things to any spot on a wall or support.
  • The painted surfaces can be washed, disinfected or repainted with little effort.
  • The size (width and depth) is just right for me to maintain. Any further reach and my back can't keep up.
  • It is secure. I like the fact that I can lock the cabinet.
  • I can harvest just enough for my own use keeping me within dosage boundaries I have set for myself.

What I do not like about it:
  • The wood construction seems to hold heat or at least not dissipate heat through its walls. All heat must be extracted.
  • While the wood will insulate noise inside the box care must be taken to not mount noisy things directly to wood. This will amplify vibration noise outside. Placing dampening material between mounts and surfaces helps as well as suspension/isolation.

/Obi

The genetics of this Aurora Indica are a cross between Afghan and Northern Light. At a glance the plant structure is clearly Indica dominant. I don't see a lot of the Northern Light traits yet, not that I could point it out in a crowded room. I just know this grow looks different than my NL auto's from previous. The AI seems to have even fatter fan leaves than the NL. Does that make it even more Indica? Not necessarily, I know, but it's a sign I'm going in the right direction considering I'm looking to try a heavy Indica toke!

/Obi

Nirvana calls their NL seed genetics "Northern Light" so I followed suit in my journals since it's their seeds.

I've always thought the genetic name was "Northern Lights". Is Nirvana's naming intentional as to not confuse the lineage of their own seed genetics or is the omitted "s" an oversight?

Maybe I should ask them, eh?

/Obi

I would think a typo of some sort, but you never know. The original white widow got jacked by so many people that the originator of the strain changed it to black widow so people would know it's the real one.

I would think a typo of some sort, but you never know. The original white widow got jacked by so many people that the originator of the strain changed it to black widow so people would know it's the real one.

That's exactly what I was trying to get at, thank you.

I wonder if Nirvana found or developed a pheno of NL that they liked which was slightly different from the original and simply dropped the s to separate it from others.

Wow Hey Obi - You've gone from "neglecting your plants" to full force! I like that evaluation you did on your grow chamber. I'm going to follow suit sometime soon - the more I think about it the more I realize all what I've done on this grow from the start. Going to order seeds soon and found your conversation regarding Northern Light(s) helpful.

Some thoughts on growing: 30 years ago, the summer before my daughter was born, Two of my best friends performed an outdoor grow to obtain income. I only knew about it because they used my house at harvest for drying/production (they had apartments). They were careful and calculating. I watched the whole thing behind the scenes, but never visited the site. This I know - they didn't really visit their location all to frequently, sometimes to water during the height of summer, towards fall to keep the deer away (dried blood). They had a great harvest. I had a wonderful bud-shot; I think my daughter took it when she moved out.

Anyway, there sure seems to be a lot more attention needed for an indoor grow, or maybe that's just a noob perception. My hope is to be able to get to a place where I am able to have a grow more in, maybe a good word would be, a rhythm.

Maybe not?

:cheesygrinsmiley:

Alright. I learned a good visual queue from my AI girls. I believe what I observed last night was the first signs of under-watering droop. It is subtle but look at the before/after pics below. See in the first pic how the larger, upper fan leaf tips are pointing downward? They are at or below the highest growth. The second pic is about 13 hours later after water and although the camera angle is not exact you can see those same fan leaves standing proud at or above the highest growth.

Hey, this is some pretty cool stuff!
/Obi Wan Cannabinoid
:Namaste:

Well, I continue to feel as though I am neglecting my plants. I haven't had the opportunity to trim or scrog them yet. I haven't touched them at all since the wee hours of the 25th (several days ago). I've had an unexpected guest and it just wasn't possible but it still lingers in my mind in the ever growing to-do list.

All meters are still in the green-ish zone. Just.

The plants have grown vertically considerably over the last few days. I peaked in on them last night and they are only about five inches from the light and reaching for more. Hard. I'll have to raise the light. The heat at that level is too intense and the canopy top will begin to cook soon.

I'm wondering if it is too late to scrog? Perhaps a trim will have to suffice for this grow. I'll get some pics up and see what you think.

The smell has arrived. Actually it has been increasing in intensity over the last week or two which has caused me to put the six inch carbon filter back on the end of the ventilation run. I noticed last night it is not keeping up to the task. I thought about hooking up the additional four inch filter again but decided it was too restrictive. I have purchased an eight inch filter to put in the grow box and will keep the six inch at the end of the run. I'm still running the 450CFM fan wide open. She's plugged straight into the wall socket. There is a boat load of air moving through the box. Hopefully the dual 6 + 8 inch filters won't stress the fan too much. I've replaced too many broken fans already.

I think the remaining stock from my first harvest (early July) is getting slightly more potent. Something feels different lately. I've had to reduce my dosage from about 0.5g to about 0.3g plus I'm mixing ABV back into the dose further cutting the fresh material. The effect has been hitting me harder this week for some reason. This suits me just fine I suppose. It means I can consume less thus making my stock last longer. I have serious reservations regarding whether or not my previous harvest will last through this current grow. I sure hope so.

I'm still estimating a late December harvest for this AI grow. They have had about four weeks of veg time so far. I'd like to veg for another three or four weeks. I'm not sure why. I don't have a reason for an eight week veg other than that's what my gut tells me to do right now. If memory serves me well this AI plant isn't known for a large yield. Potent, yes. Yield, meh.

I hope this grow turns out well. I'd really like to find "my" strain that I can perfect and enjoy over several grows.

/Obi-Wan Cannabinoid
:Namaste:

Yes master Obi.. they look great. And if you have another 3-4 weeks of veg more to go then you can certainly SCROG or LST as needed.

Back
Top Bottom