PeeJay's Neophyte Breeding Adventure

I was thinking I'll keep the operating no-till running with the scheduled amendments I've been doing all along, to see how it performs going forward. Then I'll have this modified mix to compare it too. If what Conradino has been doing this summer is any indication I should be pleasantly surprised.

This has been needling me for months now, but I lacked the time and focus to attend to it. It feels so good to be moving forwards again.

In 3 gallon smart pots of veg soil, Dennise? Hell. I say we just sit back in a porch rocker and sip sweet tea for a spell. We'll look at 'em in a month or so and decide what to do. Would you care for a macaroon?

Yea I know PJ...:straightface: I obviously didn't have my mind on what I was doing... I actually intended to pot those 2 up in 1 gallon nursery pots of veg soil them pot them up to the 3 gallon smart pots...or 5 gallon as I normally use.... I was going to just run the 4 girls in smaller pots this round... I normally run photo girls in 5 gallon smart pots and with the FF I do normally just go from my babies to their final home with the smart pots... I have found that my root ball is just as good with the smart pots as it is when I go from the 1 gallon to veg then repotting to 5 gallon to bloom... Sorry I'm rambling again... but anywho... Please don't disappear on me again...:straightface: freaked me right out.... and I will post the babies up when they get a bit bigger and see what you think I should do.... and Sue... I can honestly say the best quality and easiest grow I have had.... was most certainly using PJ's soil... the Crazy Miss Hyde and Blue Monster Holk both came from that grow and to this day is the best smoke I have not only grown but ever smoked too..... the Blue Dream was in the PJ soil too and it is so smooth and by far my favorite daytime smoke......:circle-of-love:

I remember your smoke report on the Blue Monster Holk Dennise. I almost got high reading it. :rofl:

I just realized I haven't had anything to smoke at all today. All this craziness and nothing to temper the pain. Where is my brain today? Let me amend that. Right now.

:lot-o-toke: Amend

My mixes are prudent. I'm more concerned with overdoing it than under doing it. If I under-do it I can add if needed. A little topdress. An occasional kelp foliar. It's damn hard to take things out of the soil if there is too much, and too much can be a real problem. Read about potassium toxicity in humans. I know Dale really had to watch the potassium overload on his renal diet. Cut that CC soil way back with peat and perlite for larger plants, too. Err on the side of caution. You will be pleased. Show some restraint and your plants will be much healthier.

You just need to back way down on the richness of your LOS soil. Start seedlings in a very light soil and let them do a wet dry cycle so their root structure needs to expand to look for goodies. Don't overfeed the kids with either dirt that is too loaded with organic matter, or bottles of stuff. Avoid trendy add-ons. Watch out for Dr. Oz.

Took the words out of my mouth. I've totally been pondering this alot with LOS. Not that there is anything wrong with the approach. But, we really are designing a soil that needs very little added to it to work well...at least for the first couple runs, then you would need some kind of plan to recharge the soil...

I totally get your less is more approach. Its something I'm striving to capture in my grow if I can get my self together. :)

Most of all I'd like to commend your tactful honesty here. Most of the time (at least from what I've seen in the last year) bickering breaks out...someone might end up banned...but you transcended that. At least in my eyes you have. So thank you, I wish more frank conversation could occur here, and every where really. Not that 420mag is plagued with rabble rousing low lives :) Its a pretty lovable group on the whole.

Mr. Circuit, I have been using excellerite. I can't really compare it to other rock dusts because it is all I've ever used. It is also no longer available in retail sizes so I'll have to find something else. If you need some dolomite there is some excellent stuff out by Canna's culvert. She will get sore if you take it without asking, however.

Things won't get nasty in my little corner of 420mag. In general I avoid organic soil threads because they inspire Jihad like fervor. Big plants often do very well in the no-till LOS. Check out Soil Girl. My comments for Sue are based on her grow and nobody else's. She likes autos. The goal for autos is to get them as big as possible as fast as possible before they reach sexual maturity and I'm trying to goad Sue into playing around with a very light mix for the first three weeks and then transplanting them into much heftier soil.

Lots of folks say you should never transplant autos. The reason they say that is that you don't want to do anything to slow down the growth of an auto. The plant is going to reach a certain chronological age and start to flower so we want to get those babies booming. A deft transplant does not slow a plant down much if at all, but if you botch the transplant...

Sue's plants actually look quite healthy and are growing well. They were very slow the first four weeks. They would be pretty spectacular autos if they had put on twice as much bulk before they started to flower.

....... If you need some dolomite there is some excellent stuff out by Canna's culvert. She will get sore if you take it without asking, however.

:rofl::rofl:

The Dolomite thief has agreed to give me a couple of free snow plowing efforts this winter in exchange for what he "stole". LOL

And I agree with ClosedCircuit, generally this community is a great bunch of growers who appreciate giving and learning different ideas with an open mind.

:circle-of-love:

Sue's plants actually look quite healthy and are growing well. They were very slow the first four weeks. They would be pretty spectacular autos if they had put on twice as much bulk before they started to flower.

I think this every single time I open the tent. I understand how it happened, but it still rankles me. Next cycle I'll redeem myself. PeeJay, it didn't take much goading. :laughtwo:

:rofl::rofl:

The Dolomite thief has agreed to give me a couple of free snow plowing efforts this winter in exchange for what he "stole". LOL

And I agree with ClosedCircuit, generally this community is a great bunch of growers who appreciate giving and learning different ideas with an open mind.

:circle-of-love:

What story did I miss?!

Oops, sorry guys......When PeeJay was helping create my soil with "what I have here's", I told him I had a pile of dolomite left over from the driveway. When I went out to gather some I saw that half of my large pile was gone.
It was the neighbor who I gave easement of a driveway to. He never even asked. Kind of peeved me off, so I went and "discussed" it with him. His drive at his garage is dolomite too, and he apparently needed to fill some areas last year.

So, that's the story......

Oops, sorry guys......When PeeJay was helping create my soil with "what I have here's", I told him I had a pile of dolomite left over from the driveway. When I went out to gather some I saw that half of my large pile was gone.
It was the neighbor who I gave easement of a driveway to. He never even asked. Kind of peeved me off, so I went and "discussed" it with him. His drive at his garage is dolomite too, and he apparently needed to fill some areas last year.

So, that's the story......

I'm glad you pulled through. :) Sounds like a real show stopper! Condolences on the stolen Dolomite, though. lol

Subscribed PeeJay.

Hi Oiler! Well, I've away since early Monday morning. I returned to find happy aggressively growing plants. I didn't take much time with pictures but here are the greenhouse girls:

20150703_135022.jpg

It is hard to put their size in context in that space, but here is a picture where you can see their shadows inside. The greenhouse is 6' across and 7' tall. They are doing pretty ok and have about another three weeks to veg at this latitude. The rosemary, hysop, and catmint in front are sitting on a shelf that is 2' high.

20150703_135124.jpg

The two very different personalities in the tent have been on 12/12 since Sunday. Not sure if I can call it day one of flower yet. No I can't, but soon! The 4x4 is basically packed...

20150703_151255.jpg

In my mailbox I found my new genetics! What I paid for:

20150703_135517.jpg

Freebies:

20150703_135701.jpg

Here's the rub. I am not home much since my Mother, bless her heart, is old and is having serious mobility problems. She insists she can do everything but she can not. On Thursday I left her alone to go ramble in the mountains. There are some pictures of that in the Changing Seasons. The cell coverage was poor, but a fellow 420er gave me a call and we were discussing some stuff. I had to end the call rather abruptly because I started getting a crazy number of alerts. It turns out that Mom, bless her heart she's old, decided to take a shower right after I left. She discovered that once in, she could not get back out! After trying for an hour to extricate herself from the predicament she finally activated the "I've fallen and can't get up" waterproof pendant she wears. That was why my phone was going crazy...

Yesterday we went to the doctor and got her surgery scheduled, finally. Oh yeah, the rub...

So, my plan has been to germinate a bunch of the regular Pakistani Chitral and Panama, collect pollen and do some crossing. Sadly, babies can't be left alone long in small pots like the big girls can in their 10 gallon containers. I was going to just blow it off but then... :idea:

If I can get them up and going, I can put them in a SWICK! Then I won't have to sweat them if I'm gone for five days at a time. Quality isn't a big issue. I just want one male and three females of each. If they aren't prime, who cares?

Yeah, feel free to throw rotten friuts and vegetables in my direction... :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom