Producing Feminized Seeds Using Colloidal Silver

Your guess is as good as mine. I wonder if you need to wait till she starts flowering before you start treatments? I'm just talking out my neck. One day I need to read this thread end to end. I will to, if all works like you plan. I don't know if I ever care to start breeding seed anymore, but if I do I sure want to grow fem seed. I have a good strain here I'd love to work into fem seed. The vendor doesn't believe in fem she says fem isn't good to start your stock with. Thus all they have are reg seed. These people are way into genetics. They have a pilot plant they claim flowers in 28, didn't st udder, 28 days. Something like that could turn the MMJ world on its head. Well Granny I hope this finds ya well and your gardens green. Keep em Green

:love::love::love::love::love:Norcali!!!!:love::love::love::love::love:

:high-five:SO GREAT TO SEE YOU AGAIN, HONEY!:high-five:

I want fem seeds too! Yes, lots of folks don't like fem seed, but it may have gotten that reputation from folks using hermie plants for fem seeds, which in turn creates hermie plants. I read that CS was different and does NOT make hermie plants (unless that was in that plants original genetics).

Your vendor sounds really tuned in, but I guess I don't understand why they are promoting a new strain that flowers in 28 days when this is already a feature of a number of auto-flowering strains??? Auto Blueberry, Auto White Moscow, Auto Blue Himalaya, are among a few I grew this last year that flowered 28 days FROM SEED and did not depend at all on the light cycle. I've read of some that flower in 14 days too.

One problem with the fast flowering auto strains is that you canNOT clone them - clones won't veg longer and then flower, they just flower as a small clone. These seeds cost more (auto strains), yet yield a lot less and canNOT be cloned..... thus the entire reason I am determined to learn how to make fem seeds in these strains. Most anymore don't even offer regular seeds anymore... which left me no choice but to try this if I want ANY pure strain seeds from these strains.

That stuff sure looks ruff on the plants. GL Granny and I'll be tuned in TC

Yes - it is. The first plant I did looked pretty sad by the time it changed - but it DID grow female pollen sacs and give me pollen! The plant below is the first plant (NOT DOCUMENTED HERE) I pollinated with the pollen from the first female plant I used CS on (BTW, it is one that flowered in 28 days)....
11-13-11_AutoBlueHimalaya_FemPollinatedLate.jpg

I pollinated her late in her blooming (on 10/19 and again 10/25), but she is growing seeds as you can *hopefully* see in the next image...
11-13-11_AutoBlueHimalaya_FemPollinatedLate_CloseSeedsForming.jpg

I'm looking forward to those female seeds, but will have to pretty much let the nice buds on this plant go way longer than harvest date (already past that) so it can have time to make viable seed... I'm going to pretty much leave this girl until she either dies, or seed pods are cracking, whichever comes first.

So good to see you :adore: Norcali!!! Hope you visit again!

Doing a bang up job keeping the journal flowing with info and your bubbly persona:thumb:.. I think Sonzor did a CS xpermint a year ago, it got me interested but now I'm even thinking about it more. Wish you lots of seeds and buds!

:love::love::love::love::love:SISCO!!!:love::love::love::love::love:

LUVIES HONEY!

:thanks: !!!

I was worried about you!!! Now that I know you've checked in, I'll come see you this week! I have updates to do first tho... and that will take a bit! EEK! :love::love::love::love:

Great thread, granny420! I'm on the edge of my seat over here.

It's funny you use Paint Shop Pro. I use PSP 4 for all my pictures posted here, lol.

:peace:

:love::love::love::love::love:Aberration:love::love::love::love::love:

:thanks: Honey! Don't fall off that seat!! LOL

I love PSP! I used Version 4 for quite some time and new how to do lots in there, but I upgraded to 9.01 a few years ago and it has so much more and I have no time to LEARN more! I love the quality of images I can produce with the help of this program tho!

:high-five: Take care!!! Hope to see you in here again! :high-five:

Been sub'd for a wile here granny very intresting work you are doing have been learning ALOT!

Keep the info coming :D

+Reps excellent thread!

:love::love::love::love::love:GodSpeed:love::love::love::love::love:

:welcome: Hi Honey!!! I've sure seen you in a few different journals... always offering support! And a PLEASURE to see ya here! Keep hangin' out and we'll see if we can make some fem seeds! YES!!!

UPDATES BEGIN...

AUTO CREAM CARAMEL

I will update in separate segments (per strain), but I will highlight this Auto Cream Caramel with the most pics, so you can see the changes that take place on the plant.

If anyone tries to say this treatment makes hermies... I beg to differ. It seems that these girls try real hard to grow as girls... it is only after great suffering that they give in to changing their growing parts.

Auto Cream Caramel, Day 19 (damn, I marked the images with the wrong day AGAIN! Is NOT day 21!) of Colloidal Silver spray treatment. This seed was planted in soil on Oct. 5th. Began CS treatment on Oct 27.

Here is the Auto Cream Caramel today...
11-15-11_AutoCream_CaramelCSSprayDay21.jpg

And closer shots of the upper and lower growth - to show the damage that takes place on the sprayed portions of the plant (fan leaves not sprayed except what gets on during growth site spraying). The upper half...
11-15-11_AutoCream_CaramelCSSprayDay21_TopHalfClose.jpg

and the lower half...
11-15-11_AutoCream_CaramelCSSprayDay21_BottomHalfClose.jpg

Okay, now we go BACK IN TIME... cuz I took a few daily shots to emphasize the changes in the buds.

Again, I marked these damn images wrong... I was 2 days off (less) than what I named the files. Old age and many plants to think about dates with!

This is the top bud of the Auto Cream Caramel on Day 16 of treatment, showing there IS leaf damage that does occur (but very close pic)...
11-12-11_AutoCream_CaramelCSSprayDay18_Top.jpg

And then, the same day (Day 16) but closer to emphasize the pistil (hairs) dying AND continuing to sprout...
11-12-11_AutoCream_CaramelCSSprayDay18_TopCloser.jpg

And then the next day (Day 17 treatment) - same top bud...
11-13-11_AutoCream_CaramelCSSprayDay19_TopClose.jpg

And then two days later (TODAY) on Day 19 of CS treatment...
11-15-11_AutoCream_CaramelCSSprayDay21_TopClose.jpg

And then a couple buds lower on the branch...
11-15-11_AutoCream_CaramelCSSprayDay21_BranchGrowthClose.jpg

My purpose in adding these pics is to highlight the changes in the bud and to show there is no way in hell that this girl is hermie. As my first plant did, it is fighting like hell to remain female. Every day new pistils (hairs) sprout. Above was the top bud over a 4 day period... all of which it continues to try to grow female buds...

BUT SOON THERE SHOULD BE CHANGES - SO KEEP WATCHING UPDATES.

The first plant I did, kept doing this too... and just after this point, I had changes in the appearance. Thus, I am hoping to have changes coming this next week in this plant.

I MAY (or may not) start spraying plants that are at this stage TWO times daily. I have not done this yet... but I am getting tired of this going on and on! I am trying real hard to have patience and follow the instructions of spraying once daily... but this is why I sprayed more frequently with that first girls I did - cuz the pistils just kept coming on strong. The only reason I haven't done it yet is because although these plants look sad to all of you - the first plant was stunted/damaged even more than these girls (but it WORKED!).

Made my first batch of bubble hash and been partaking... so if I don't make sense - OH WELL!!! :lot-o-toke:

Back in a bit (have to do images between updates) with another strain...

UPDATE: AUTO BLUEBERRY

Day 19 Colloidal Silver Treatment.
11-15-11_AutoBlueberryCSSprayDay19.jpg

The Auto Blueberry is also shooting out pistils like a son of a gun, increasingly so in the last two days.
Here is her top bud...
11-15-11_AutoBlueberryCSSprayDay19_TopClose.jpg

And a branch bud...
11-15-11_AutoBlueberryCSSprayDay19_BranchBudClose.jpg

You can clearly see there is a LOT of new hairs sprouting everywhere.

AGAIN, I am considering spraying this plant twice daily also. I have not, but will see by next update what granny has done!

I believe the next week will show us some changes. This seems to be taking SO LONG... patience... patience... feminized seeds ARE WORTH IT!

NOTE TIMING: I'm almost 3 weeks in for these first two girls and will still have to wait for a few weeks for viable female pollen AFTER these girls change. This is why the female mate for these plants should probably be started weeks AFTER the plant treated with CS.

Back with more...

what u said in response to my thoughts makes perfect sense i didnt think it all the way thru, so it dawned on me that i have all i need to make some fem seeds, but i want your input my homemade cs is 61ppm my girls are 1 week into 12/12 is it a good time to start spraying, i think i will dedicate 1 whole plant to fem seeds as i have only 4-5 seeds total in storage! yikes!!:thedoubletake::thedoubletake: good thing i checked my seed storage!, im putting up current pics today

UPDATE: AUTO WIDOW RYDER

This plant was sprayed completely for the first week before I changed my mind (read the info for this one) and stopped spraying the top. I had not seen preflowers on this plant before this week - but finally we have them!

Here she is on Day 19 for the bottom part being sprayed... Keep in mind this plant was started with CS THE SAME DAY AS THE FIRST TWO...
11-15-11_AutoWidowRyderCSSprayDay19.jpg

And finally those pre-flowers I've been waiting to see cuz it lets me know this girl is finally ready to start the flowering stage...
11-15-11_AutoWidowRyderCSSprayDay19_TopNoCSPreFlowers.jpg

And a bud from the CS treated lower area showing we just don't have much growth on this plant yet...
11-15-11_AutoWidowRyderCSSprayDay19_LowerGrowth.jpg

So... I can see the Widow Ryder is a bit later than the first two plants featured (CC and BB). All were started from seed the same day, all were started spraying with CS the same day. But the plants are definitely different. It is at least interesting to have different strains going that have different needs - we'll all LEARN!

Back with the Auto Kush...

UPDATE: AUTO KUSH

THIS IS THE STRANGE PREFLOWER PLANT I THOUGHT WAS MALE - DEFINITELY NOT... BUT STILL WEIRD...

This plant was started one day later than the first three plants featured. It, like the Widow Ryder, was sprayed entirely for the first week or so... then I changed and divided this plant to be able to just self this plant. Thus, the top is no longer sprayed and the bottom is...

Here she is today. Day 18 of Colloidal Silver treatment...
11-15-11_AutoKushCSSprayDay18.jpg

And a view of the top bud of the plant - NOT TREATED NOW
11-15-11_AutoKushCSSprayDay18_TopNoSprayNow.jpg

And then a view of PREFLOWER PISTILS on the very top of this plant...
11-15-11_AutoKushCSSprayDay18_TopPreFlowers.jpg

Those clearly show hairy pistils...

BUT THIS PLANT'S PRE-FLOWERS ARE REAL DIFFERENT. To me, I thought they were male pre-flowers and wondered about the sex of this plant. I've been able to sex plants from pre-flowers for a very long time. Is it me? Or are they different on this plant? Has anyone ever seen female pre-flowers that looked like these?
Here is another node down on the plant...
11-15-11_AutoKushCSSprayDay18_MixedPreFlower.jpg

And then, the next node down...
11-15-11_AutoKushCSSprayDay18_OddPreFlower.jpg

Now... is it me? Or are these pre-flowers shaped very much like a male pre-flower??? Am I going nuts???

Let me know if anyone else thinks these are strange!!!

Last, a bottom CS treated bud...
11-15-11_AutoKushCSSprayDay18_LowGrowth.jpg

Back with more - but first a break!!!

UPDATE: AUTO HIMALAYA BLUE DIESEL

This plant was started as a 50/50 plant, with the top never being sprayed. It was larger than the other plants when I started it and was started 4 days after the first began.

She is on Day 16 of CS treatment...
11-15-11_AutoHimalayaBlueDieselCSSprayDay16.jpg

Here is what the UN-TREATED top of this plant is doing...
11-15-11_AutoHimalayaBlueDieselCSSprayDay16_TopNoCS.jpg

And here is what a bottom treated bud is doing...
11-15-11_AutoHimalayaBlueDieselCSSprayDay16_BottomBud.jpg

As with others, hairs are sprouting... and then dying after being sprayed.

Back in a few!...

UPDATE: AUTO MAZAR

This plant was also started as a 50/50 plant, with the top never being sprayed.

Here she is (nice larger size for an auto)...
11-15-11_AutoMazarCSSprayDay12.jpg

And a couple nice long hairs outta the preflowers...
11-15-11_AutoMazarCSSprayDay12_Preflowers.jpg

And a bottom bud...
11-15-11_AutoMazarCSSprayDay12_Growth.jpg

Just not a lot going on on the Auto Mazar yet.

UPDATE: PINEAPPLE CHUNK & LADYBURN 1974

These last two are the only regular strains (NOT auto-flowering) and there just isn't a lot of action going on in them yet.

Here is the Pineapple Chunk on Day 13 of CS treatment. This is the plant that seems to be taking this treatment the WORST. It's really been hard on it.
11-15-11_PineappleChunkCSSprayDay13.jpg

And here is the Pineapple Chunk's top with a pre-flower...
11-15-11_PineappleChunkCSSprayDay13_TopPreflower.jpg

I am thinking about giving this plant a break and just going every other day until I see more flowering... haven't decided tho. I've been trying real hard to stick to the once daily... but there may be a need for adjustments!

And last...

THE LADYBURN 1978...
11-15-11_Ladyburn1974CSSprayDay13.jpg

That's all the updates! Egads that took a bit!!!

Got ta git to the girls... work to be done with my flowering ladies...

Oh... DAMMIT I THINK I BROKE MY GOOD CAMERA!!!! I DROPPED IT WHILE GETTING IMAGES. THIS IS ANNOYING CUZ I DON'T THINK MY NEW CAMERA TAKES AS GOOD OF CLOSEUPS - BUT I AM GOING TO EXPERIMENT WITH IT TO SEE. DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT.

Wow granny. I signed up to this forum just because of your thread great work!
I have a question. I've been researching colloidal silver and how to apply it to non autos.
I read through most of the thread and from what it seems. You say it's best to put non autos C.S sprayed into 12/12 2-3 weeks ahead of the plant that will be pollinated? Is this right?
Also what if you only have room for veg/flowering what do you recommend?
Thanks again granny420 and to the rest who have contributed to this thread!

Hey Granny!! This is definitely turning out to be an interresting experiment isn't it!?

A couple things I'd like to point out though....

First, Its far too early in my opinion to make the conclusion that any of the plants AREN'T hermie, as I had a "fully female" who didn't herm until the middle of week 5 of flower. There were already substantial buds and colas, before any banannas showed up.

Second, that auto Kush has "female" preflowers, that are very similar to the ones on my last 2 NL plants....One of them hermed...Both from same seed stock, from same nugget etc.

My observation is only that, while a plant may be genetically female, it may still have the tendancy to herm based on its other genetic predispositions...AND, if one of those predispositions happens to be that it is prone to herm under stress, (AND THIS TREATMENT IS DEFINITELY STRESSFULL TO THE PLANT TISSUE), then it could easily bring out the recessive trait....Just a thought..../

I also want to add that, from most of what I've read, its better to take the pollen from hermmed, or INDUCED plants, and use it on a different plant than the one the pollen came from. "Selfing" plants makes the likelyhood of hermaphrodization much more likely...But thats just what I've read, I'm no expert...Just food for thought!

Love the experiment nonetheless!!

I do try and get around to see everyones pride and joy, i am fascinated what can i say...

:love: having a community full of such humble people that share the same passion as myself.

:peace:

:love::love::love::love::love:GodSpeed:love::love::love::love::love:

I SOOOOOOO AGREE!!!

Wow granny. I signed up to this forum just because of your thread great work!
I have a question. I've been researching colloidal silver and how to apply it to non autos.
I read through most of the thread and from what it seems. You say it's best to put non autos C.S sprayed into 12/12 2-3 weeks ahead of the plant that will be pollinated? Is this right?
Also what if you only have room for veg/flowering what do you recommend?
Thanks again granny420 and to the rest who have contributed to this thread!

:love::love::love::love::love:realcarlos:love::love::love::love::love:

:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

and ... :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Hi Honey!!! I can't believe you signed up just because of my thread - BUT GOOD FOR YOU! There is a wealth of info AND SUPPORT at 420magazine, so you are in a real good place. GodSpeed said it very nicely how so many of us feel about this place and the friends we meet here.

Now... you asked about how far ahead to put the CS sprayed NON-auto plant in versus the female it will be mated with. I don't have any specific time frame for this - I think I just tried to make sure everyone is aware that this process takes time and that is something to consider when using this treatment. Wish I could give a better answer.

In my first plant, it took over 3 weeks to simply turn the female to male. Considering how this experiment is going, it will be over 3 weeks for these too. Then it took another approximately (different plants make no clear set rules) 3 weeks to produce viable pollen. Thus, when thinking about the female you will be pollinating, YES, you need to consider this time when figuring out where to have your female at when the pollen is finally ready for her.

The great thing with non-autos is that you can clone them, so you can control better when the female is ready. However, if you have to do both (veg and flower in the same room), this limits you, eh? I guess this leaves you with a couple other alternatives...

1) If you plant the waiting female (to be pollinated) from seed, you can simply wait to start the seed until 4 weeks after the first seed is planted to allow time for the first CS plant to be ahead. Does this make sense? I SHOULD have done this with my auto strains - but only had 2 seeds for each strain and I wasn't sure they would both come up (didn't want to turn the only plant I had and not be able to have a mate to pollinate).

2) You can also freeze the pollen (after drying and properly storing) to be used at ANY time in the near future. Thus, you don't have any issues with timing - simply use the pollen later when your lady is ready.

3) Pollinate late on the flowering female - which is what I had to do with the only female I pollinated thus far that I pictured yesterday (and what I will be having to do with the autos I am doing). I am going to leave that late pollinated plant to pretty much die in her pot in order to *hopefully* give her enough time to produce viable seed. I want the seeds a lot more than I want the gorgeous bud that formed on that plant (before pollination)... so I am completely willing to wait for her and give up the bud for the seed.

If you pollinated just one branch of a good sized non-auto female (make sure it is NOT a low branch on the plant cuz they don't finish bud very well, let alone finish a seed started late!), I have read that you can then harvest the remainder of the bud at the right time BUT LEAVE the pollinated branch to *hopefully* grow to finish the seed.

I have read it takes 4 to 8 weeks to make viable seed - usually done in 4 to 6 weeks, but dependent upon the particular strain.

I rambled enough there! Hope it made sense!

Anyone else have any suggestions?? Cuz I am NOT a professional breeder and do NOT even pretend to know exactly what I am doing! That's why I started this journal... to show if I can do it, anyone can!!

WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK, HONEY!!!

Hey Granny!! This is definitely turning out to be an interresting experiment isn't it!?

A couple things I'd like to point out though....

First, Its far too early in my opinion to make the conclusion that any of the plants AREN'T hermie, as I had a "fully female" who didn't herm until the middle of week 5 of flower. There were already substantial buds and colas, before any banannas showed up.

:love::love::love::love::love:Quixilvir:love::love::love::love::love:

:adore: Hi Honey!

GOOD POINTS!!!

YES - I totally agree with you that it is way early to tell if the remainder of the plants have hermie traits. I had a number of plants also turn hermie (grow bananas) 4 weeks and later into flower. Absolutely hermie traits do NOT show up instantly and the plant has to be grown out to really find this out.

In the past I had one gorgeous AK-47 that I took 3 clones from: one of the clones was a complete male when it showed, one grew grew as a female, and the third showed a few bananas later in flower. The full blown male clone out of a female mother was sure a shocker tho!

Second, that auto Kush has "female" preflowers, that are very similar to the ones on my last 2 NL plants....One of them hermed...Both from same seed stock, from same nugget etc.

My observation is only that, while a plant may be genetically female, it may still have the tendancy to herm based on its other genetic predispositions... AND, if one of those predispositions happens to be that it is prone to herm under stress, (AND THIS TREATMENT IS DEFINITELY STRESSFULL TO THE PLANT TISSUE), then it could easily bring out the recessive trait....Just a thought..../

I also want to add that, from most of what I've read, its better to take the pollen from hermmed, or INDUCED plants, and use it on a different plant than the one the pollen came from. "Selfing" plants makes the likelyhood of hermaphrodization much more likely...But thats just what I've read, I'm no expert...Just food for thought!

Love the experiment nonetheless!!

You've seen these too! Not cool - but COOL to know someone else has seen these AND to know how those plants did!!!

I strongly feel the Auto Kush has hermie traits. The pre-flowers sure show that this plant has those traits are within it's genetic makeup. If I had a choice, I wouldn't use this plant as a parent plant because this IS a trait it WILL pass on. I have noted this about this plant and doubt I will grow out the seeds from this one in the future.... given that I do actually produce seeds in the end here!!! LOL!

And YES - absolutely the seeds will have a much higher likelihood of herming if selfed from the same plant (with those traits) instead of pollinating a different plant. For me, the only other Kush plant I have is either going to take another month or more of babying before it will even take off (lost it's 2 first rounded leaves in it's struggle to get out of the soil - which can kill the plant, but it's still tiny, yellow, and struggling to survive at this point so I'm not giving up on it yet).

It seems I was not destined to have good Auto Kush at this point... but I will continue to the finish with this strain cuz it's part of this experiment! I have other "kush" strains, so I do not have a huge need for the seeds from this one... but it IS interesting to be able to note this plant in this experiment so maybe others in the future can recognize a plant that has these abnormal issues.

:high-five: SO GREAT TO SEE YOU QUIXILVER!!! :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom