Purple Kush, Regular/Photo - DynoMyco We Want You - Side-By-Side Comparative Grow

The plants continue to bulk up and even the runt seems to be trying to catch up and stay in the game.

Here as promised, some re-training.
First, the "before" picture:

DSCF1374.JPG

Then a couple more after the main growth tips have been tied down a bit further out. Note the growth tips from the next branch set down starting to rise up to take dominance. Soon, we will tie them down too.

DSCF1376.JPG
DSCF1375.JPG

All the plants are doing well now, even the runt, and except for her, each have now been topped. The ones already chopped are well into their training, with quite a few more hoops deployed today so as to tie down the secondary nodes that were taking dominance. Now with 4 branches tied down, the middle growth will now accelerate and soon we are going to be dealing with bushes. Some of the larger plants are now easily draining the 1g containers in a day or two, but I am holding off on transplanting so that some of the younger ones can catch up. I am only going to uppot to 3 gallon size this time, because I still need to sex them before going to the final containers.

DSCF1382.JPG
DSCF1381.JPG
DSCF1380.JPG

Things are still progressing, and today was watering day for the group. I am forcing the plants to stay in the 1g containers a bit longer than necessary, just to even the plants out a bit while we wait for them to sexually mature and show us their gender. I hate to move up to a 3g, but I think there is going to be a need for more training room before they all declare. Soon I want to have them just about at the same stage, so we can start to see the difference between the test groups.

Here they are, noticeably more developed than the last picture a week ago. They were in a severe need of water when this picture was taken, and now a few hours later they are all standing tall and looking strong. The runt has even made great progress in this last week and today it got its topping and it is in the front left on this shot.

DSCF1406.JPG

Today's pictures show even more development of our test girls and soon I am going to be forced to transplant a few of them as they are starting to suck water at an amazing rate. Soon I want to put them into two groups and see if already we can see a difference between the @DYNOMYCO side and the controls. I am mostly impressed with our former runt, sitting in the back on the left side. She is a DYNOMYCO plant and she sure is trying hard to catch up!

DSCF1435.JPG

DSCF1434.JPG

Today we have a significant update in the side by side test.

I have kept these purple kush plants in the 1 gallon containers much longer than I normally would, because I am waiting for them to show me a sign of their sex before moving forward into a bigger container so as not to waste soil or run out of space in the grow room. I think today I isolated 4 boys in the group of 9 plants. These 4 plants have been moved into the bloom room to force them into flowering mode so we can confirm their sex quickly and get rid of them if I am right. The @DYNOMYCO vs Control Group ration was perfect on these 4, a 50:50 split.

DSCF1466.JPG

There are 5 plants remaining in Veg Room #2 that I suspect are females because they ain't telling either way. I miss a few now and then, but I am pretty good a spotting the males early on, and out of the 5 left in the room, 3 are DYNOs are 2 are Control plants. My friends, I think we have a valid side by side so far as we go into late veg. I think the differences between the two groups will start to be obvious, especially when we move to the next containers. In this picture, the 3 DYNO plants are in the back row and the 2 control plants are in the foreground.

DSCF1477.JPG

Today we uppotted the 5 that we still think are females. They have been moved into 3 gallon containers. Those in the DynoMyco group got more Dynomyco upon transplanting, the control group did not.
299447703_2897854537177682_4796297775753932500_n.jpg

Here are some Dynomyco roots:
299291959_627126068836947_6138328168298163328_n.jpg

Here are roots that did not get Dynomyco:

20220817_195138.jpg
20220817_195133.jpg

As you can see, there is already a big difference between the groups.
I expect a growth spurt.

Unless one of these 5 surprise me, they are going to end up being all females. With the exception of one overly precocious girl already showing one or two pistils, the others are still playing hard to get. The 4 that I sent off into bloom to confirm all did turn out to be males and they were all recently executed and all of their essence has been added back into the compost pool. Soon I will do some more training on these 5 while we wait for the bloom room to free up in about 3-4 weeks. I don't need to go too crazy because 5 PK plants at once, whether in 3 or 5 gallon containers, is still going to result in quite a harvest. I of course am planning on finishing in my new standard 5 gallon tall containers so projecting ahead and estimating light, we can expect to end up with over a pound of product in the end. With @DYNOMYCO being used since the beginning, I think we can expect at least 3 of these plants to exceed expectations.

DSCF1524.JPG

The experiment plods along, mainly because I haven't been putting a priority on this room over the last couple of weeks. Here are the girls today, needing water, feeding and retraining. They will now also get priority under this light, which means that I will try to concentrate 40k of LUX on them now that a larger plant isn't in the way. They should explode with growth over this next week as we do final prep before sending them to bloom. I am probably going to put them all in 5 gallon containers too... depends on how much time I get while in the midst of a harvest.
DSCF1540.JPG

A quick report on the disaster that this has turned out to be, at least as far as being a comparison grow...

I have been reluctant to do the final uppotting until I could determine sex. I have been doing everything I can to encourage that reveal, but until yesterday I only had 3 out of the 5 showing pistils, and of course those three were @DYNOMYCO plants. The remaining two seem to be showing the first signs of being males. I will try to reconfirm this evening, after a good watering a couple of days ago, but I am afraid that I am going to report that out of 10 plants, only 3 were female, and those three all happened to be @DYNOMYCO plants.

I am going to uppot in the next day or so, this time to 5 gallon SIP containers. For now, I have taken off all of the training hoops and told the plants to go vertical, and they are responding as well as they are able. We are about 2 weeks away from sending these plants into bloom.

DSCF1550.JPG

only 3 were female, and those three all happened to be @DYNOMYCO plants.
I wonder if there is any relation? I've read sex can be skewed by environmental factors so maybe better root development does as well? Although I think you had more than three that got it. :hmmmm:

I wonder if there is any relation? I've read sex can be skewed by environmental factors so maybe better root development does as well? Although I think you had more than three that got it. :hmmmm:
They also boast that their product helps the plants do better in stressful environments, so maybe @DYNOMYCO, maybe not a way to guarantee a female plant, but almost be able to better the odds at the very least.

The three remaining plants have now been transplanted to their final containers. I am experimenting with SIP in 5 gallon buckets, and the plants do seem to be responding strongly to the new watering method. Here is a picture of the group.

DSCF1576.JPG

The one @DYNOMYCO plant is not the biggest plant in the room, but it is definitely the most complex. I think in the long run, that plant is going to end up being the biggest producer. We will continue the comparison test as we move into bloom.
I have removed myself from the competition however, since I have become a member of staff and am no longer eligible. Good luck to those remaining in the side by side test.

The new SIP containers are working amazingly well. The plants have leapt into action and are now praying full time to the light and putting on quite a bit of new bio mass. The trunks are getting thicker and the plants are exploding with new growth. They were fed @GeoFlora Nutrients VEG 6 days ago and need to move over to the bloom room soon, in order to start their transition. I plan to do this tomorrow, as I prepare for a room swap of all the plants.

The plants are currently using 32 oz or almost a liter, every day. I am adding that water in the evenings. I note that before watering, the top surface of the soil is starting to feel dry, and shortly after filling the reservoir, I can feel dampness again at the top. It is still amazing me how fast the water can wick up to the top in this system.

Let me also tag @ReservoirDog so he can see where I have moved the current chatter about the SIP experiments. These plants still are technically part of a comparison and review of @DYNOMYCO, so I need to stay in this journal for these 3 plants. More SIP containers, 27 gallon totes, are being built right now and there will be much more SIP action and discussion in my main constant harvest journal in the next several days.

For now, some pictures of some very happy bottom watered plants. I have to admit that they did not look at all this good while they were still in 3 gallon conventional containers. The DYNOMYCO plant is still the best looking one of the bunch, even though it is probably younger than its 2 control plants. I suspect we will see this one leap ahead of its sisters in the weeks to come, simply because of its better start.

DSCF1582.JPG

DSCF1581.JPG

DSCF1580.JPG

Em, your plants always look great. The pictures above are next level, though. This tipped me over the edge, I'm going SIP for my auto.

Wow, I humbly submit that a canna plant just can't look any better than that Ms. Emilya. Nice work.

Very stoked for your new DIY SIPs in the pipeline. Wonderful to have the company of many experienced growers.

My experience, both with my tomatoes last year and my canna, cukes this year is that the plants are in that state of "glorification of life", maybe "grace" is more succinct, every moment the lights are on. Like, they just don't have bad days. Even when I've had nutrient def. in the canna this year (Magnesium) they powered through it so impressively.

I had caught the problem early on one plant and treated all because I was anticipating issues due to my using as little nutrients as possible, in order to both learn some things, and avoid a possible toxicity lockout via nute retention in my peat mix.

Regardless, when new growth began showing necrosis my damn hair almost burst into flame, but I held fast to let my initial changes take hold, and boy did they ever. I simply went from 10-7-10 to 10-7-12 (MC 2 part) and upped my mag from 0.5g/gal to 5g/gal, and even though the necrosis still happened to everybody, the plants' response were downright nuclear, both cultivars (Runtz & UVOG). It just grew itself out of the problem, is the best way I can describe it, and fast.

I trim leaves every day but still couldn't keep up. Am going into flower ASAP so I had to do a big defol. I'm illustrating on my journal. Many thanks to @Hafta and @Carcass for their methods and personal support, you beauties you!

Back
Top Bottom