Ranger275 - Adventures in the 2nd Dimension

Hey there Ranger the photo period can be strain dependant as well, I like to use 10 or 11 on and 13 or 14 off, personally I think it makes them more desperate, and the phenol expression is different as well, I find mostly with an essential oil profile, and the initial stretch on a shorter light cycle is bigger as the plants try to reach for light. And the shorter light cycle will save energy over time.

Have you determined any appreciable difference in quantity or quality with the shorter schedules? My assumption is no, or you'd have shifted back.

I only recently adopted this to favour efficiency plant will do what it can as far as production goes, if there is a difference it s negligible and I haven't noticed anything. One very noticeable thing is the stretch, with a shorter photo period the stretch is more dramatic. not by much but noticeable, nothing a bit of LST wouldn't take care of.

Howdy Folks,
IMG_026242.JPG
Sideview10.JPG
IMG_026140.JPG
IMG_025841.JPG

Day7 of 12/12ish. Sweetling appears to be growing well: 28" tall, good color, branching well and responding to gentle training. Watering has been weird: 5-gal bucket was well prepped, only been feeding a cup or 2 of water every 2-3 days & still get a bit of runoff.
Re Post#49: Radogast my lite-isolation is lame. No timer, and Life is unpredictable. Coming from outdoors this is new to me. Haven't seen any sign of flowering, but didn't really expect to either. Hope the occasionally erratic schedule hasn't botched it.
Happy gardening.

So intriguing Ranger. So enticing.

Buy a timer. Lose the stress of trying to remember. :love:

Ranger, don't sweat the water thing brother.... my last grow was much the same. Even towards the end of it they were taking much less water than I was expecting. It didn't seem to matter.... I think THEY know how much they need and if you're getting runoff... you're probably good. I also added a tsp. of H2O2 to each gallon of water... I read somewhere how doing that helps keep your roots from rot... I guess it works. I agree with Sweetsue... get yourself a timer...they're really cheap like under 10 bucks and yeah... like the Sweetestsue said... "Lose the stress of trying to remember" :) :goodluck:
:Namaste:

Howdy Folks,
Day7 of 12/12ish. Sweetling appears to be growing well: 28" tall, good color, branching well and responding to gentle training. Watering has been weird: 5-gal bucket was well prepped, only been feeding a cup or 2 of water every 2-3 days & still get a bit of runoff.
Re Post#49: Radogast my lite-isolation is lame. No timer, and Life is unpredictable. Coming from outdoors this is new to me. Haven't seen any sign of flowering, but didn't really expect to either. Hope the occasionally erratic schedule hasn't botched it.
Happy gardening.

Ranger, don't sweat the water thing brother.... my last grow was much the same. Even towards the end of it they were taking much less water than I was expecting. It didn't seem to matter.... I think THEY know how much they need and if you're getting runoff... you're probably good. I also added a tsp. of H2O2 to each gallon of water... I read somewhere how doing that helps keep your roots from rot... I guess it works. I agree with Sweetsue... get yourself a timer...they're really cheap like under 10 bucks and yeah... like the Sweetestsue said... "Lose the stress of trying to remember" :) :goodluck:

Yup I use it in all my cloners and seedling areas.

hmmm, another new bit of information,, h2o2,, looked it up, thanks

i add a touch of lemon juice to mine,, just to reduce the ph a touch,,

Sorry nivek... I should have just said 3% hydrogen peroxide instead of making people look it up .. a few months ago I had no idea what h2o2 was either!
I use vinegar to lower my ph...it takes a bit less that a tsp per gallon of my well water to get my ph to 6.5, once I start adding nutes, I have to go the other way and raise the ph a bit... but I use the peroxide though the entire grow.

For those of you using, or planning to use an organic set up, H2O2 will kill beneficial bacteria without any appreciable benefit to the plants. I know it gets suggested all the time, but studies don't bear out the anecdotal evidence. Build a better soil and eliminate deficiencies altogether. :love:

nope, to the ranger running hydro,, i did not really think anything,, just a tidbit of information i did not know of previously tis all. i am not a user, or at least not yet, but we have some in the house. when i did transplant a clone the other day i did notice the roots were not as lilly white as i thought they might be, so that comment about the clean/white roots caught my attention. i think sues comment might influence my decision to use or not. thanks sue, cheers

For those of you using, or planning to use an organic set up, H2O2 will kill beneficial bacteria without any appreciable benefit to the plants. I know it gets suggested all the time, but studies don't bear out the anecdotal evidence. Build a better soil and eliminate deficiencies altogether. :love:

However in a aero cloner it's proven to prevent algae or any sort of rot.

I've used and not used guarantee it helps with cloning and such

Even Ed Rosenthal and Jorge cervantes recommend it enough said.

But it will royally screw a operating hydro setup I've been told never seen the outcome but have read that.

It does have its merits, but its a specific tool for a specific task.
Like sweetsue said it kills your bennies in an organic set up,
and if your dilution is off you risk destroying your entire root system.
Remember Hydrogen Peroxide is a VERY powerful oxidizer.
It was used during the world wars as a torpedo propellent and for a short time it even powered submarines.

All that being said, if you do develop an issue and H202 is needed, it will perform admirably.
Don't be afraid to use or try anything, just be sure to do the required research before hand.

nope, to the ranger running hydro,, i did not really think anything,, just a tidbit of information i did not know of previously tis all. i am not a user, or at least not yet, but we have some in the house. when i did transplant a clone the other day i did notice the roots were not as lilly white as i thought they might be, so that comment about the clean/white roots caught my attention. i think sues comment might influence my decision to use or not. thanks sue, cheers

To balance the scales a bit more in your favor with clones, fillet an aloe vera leaf and slather the end of the clone to be rooted in the gel before you put it wherever you put them to grow roots. I've seen evidence of this being incredibly successful.

thanks sue,, that just seems so obvious when one thinks about it,, now i will be on the lookout for an aloe plant. i actually use honey,, i found that info a while back, while searching for alternatives to rooting powder. if i don't have to spend a dime, i don't. although honey is so expensive these days.

honey has natural anti bacterial agents and tastes great too, no worries licking the fingers after using. i have had limited, but enough success, so far, with honey,, not perfect though. i am looking into building a bubble cloner, tiny one, for two at a time,, i think that is the answer, maybe,, and a bit of h2o2 in there too maybe , all great info, thanks folks, cheers

i have also seen and read of folks that say that if you just stick the darn cutting in the ground, it will grow, can't kill em iffin ya try

My take on the h202.
In hydro style grows, one has to choose between a sanitized environment or a bacteria rich "beneficial" environment. Straddling the fence between the two seems to lead to a toxic environment. Maybe not the first grow, but frequently.

When it comes to Hydrogen Peroxide and soil, it is pretty much the same question, but one can straddle the fence. If one chooses to go with hydrogen peroxide in the cloner, a sterilized clone is introduced to a bottle fed environment or a living soil environment. In both cases, the clone can adapt to its new home.

HOWEVER, if one introduces hydrogen peroxide into the soil, one has killed off some or all of the life in the soil. The soil no longer feeds the plant and it must be bottle fed to survive. If the soil was living, you have damaged the life in the soil. The plant will need to be bottle fed. The soill will need to be restored, which can be rather difficult when bottle feeding nutrients as the plant /soil relationship has been severed. It's very hard for the old lover to start a new relationship when the new lover is still in the bed.

(End philosophical lecture mode)

Back
Top Bottom