Ranger275 - Adventures in the 2nd Dimension

OK, how did I miss this? Subbed! This was in the back of my mind when I started my tiny closet grow. How nice of you to show me how it's done. :laughtwo:

If I ever grow a photo flowering plant in my space it will have to be done in a style like this. I was actually looking at trellises, but this idea is sweet. Thanks Ranger. I'm learning already. So excited. :green_heart:

Subbed, will be reading later today. On 4 hours of sleep after harvesting now i need more sleep for full melt making.

I plan to read this when I awake again ;)

I&I

SweetSue and Gfcollective,
Flattered you'd drop by my humble grow. Thought it might be up your alley, SweetSue, after reading your post on your Moonflower Arbor on Radogast's non-420 garden thread.

As an example of the open-thread idea (which I heartily encourage in everyone) mentioned above, here's how I was taught to grow the 3-Sisters by my Crow friend Lucy, who was taught my her great-Grandma, who was taught by...
Step1: Pick out your grow site on the ground in your mind, but do not mark it yet in any way. That would be disrespectful.
Step2: After a suitable period of meditation, stake out the area, and mark 3 w/something local. A smudge of dirt, a rock, you can wet one. The 4th stake is left bare and dedicated to the Wind.
Step3: Stand near the Wind Stake and give thx to your seed. Remember where this came from and how.
Step4: Soon, these memories and emotions will seize you, and the Dance will begin. It starts slowly, as a walk or shuffling dance. Follow the dance all the way around the edge. When you get half-way around, you'll probably be dancing w/all of your self. Don't be afraid, this is natural. As you pass the half-way point, the Dance will begin to ebb, until you, nearing your starting point will be back to a stately walk.
Step5: Loosen soil and mound up 1-1.5' high, 2-3' around, on 5-6' centers to allow the squash to sprawl. Plant a piece of fish or a piece of manure in each mound. When you've prepared the field thusly, leave and do NOT look at it until the next day.
Step6: Next day plant corn and squash. Plant beans when corn is knee-high.
Step7: Corn and beans will be ready for harvest at almost the same time. After harvest, cut corn stalx back down to knee-high so the sun can penetrate and ripen the squash. Harvest squash when ripe.
Step8: Repeat the Dance in reverse direction. Leave the field and do not look at it for a full turning of the sun.
The 3-Sisters get along well. Corn provides beans a trellis to grow on. Beans (Family Leguminosae) are N-fixers for the heavy-feeding corn. Squash provides a living mulch for both and appreciates a little protection from sun and wind. Together, the corn and beans provide a complete protein. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Gfcollective, and others, I hope you enjoy this and put it to good use.

That was beautiful Ranger. Thank you for that. My best friend is a Souix and she has taught me much about living with respect for the earth.

Thx everybody! So glad you enjoyed. Almost forgot one important thing: plant corn (and squash in this case) when the leaves on the oak tree are the size of a squirrel's ear. They know better than the calendar.
Sweetsue: your friend, and her ancestors, would be proud of your grow. Your inspirations are diverse, but clearly Gaia-led.
36Gr0w: I highly recommend Permaculture: a Designer's Manual, by Bill Mollison. It's a little pricey, but is a foundation stone of all of my design work. Good luck.
Radogast: Thx for the bump, my Friend. Flattered I made it into the GardenGrimoire. I love that word!
DK: Gracias, mi Amigo. You're gonna give me a swelled-head if you're not careful.
Happy growing!

I confess! I'm a Hippy at heart. I dig the Stones and the Beatles. I think Peace and Love are preferable to the alternatives. I think it wise to be nice to the only planet we can get to. I enjoying growing my own food, wine and weed. While I like to make a few lavish exceptions (Hawai'ian coffee, French cognac, Belgian chocolate), as a general rule I try to eat what I have seen to be termed ROSS (Regional, Organic, Seasonal and Sustainable). The obvious extension (to my stoned mind) to this was heirloom seeds and landraces.

My GuerillaGrow might be thousands of miles from their homeland, w/very different soil but if I chose those from roughly the same latitude, they'd know the same sun. Hope this helps those planning an outdoor grow. In no particular order:
Mexico 15-30N
Brazil 0-35S
Thailand 12-20N
Afghanistan 35-38N
Hindu Kush 36N
VietNam 9-21N
Malawi 9-15S
Sudan 5-20N
West Indies 12-24N
Ethiopia 4-17N
Hawai'i 20-28N
Colombia 4S-8N
Nepal 27-30N
South Africa 22-35S
Jamaica 18N
If you had one of those fancy programmable LEDs, w/a little research you could pretty easily program to that specific region. Not sure how much of an impact this would have on g/watt basis, but something to think about.
Garden update w/pix coming soon.

Oh man, I really like that Ranger. I feel a kinship with the earth as well. I have never been taught or shown anything like you have. However, I can see a hundred colors in a single leaf. I always have. Love your insight and this journal. :thumb:

very interesting ideals ranger,, and great ideas too,, very much enjoyed perusing,, good luck with your venture, cheers, nivek

BEATEO: So our roles are finally reversed! You welcomed me w/a grace and ease that bespoke more than a mere title. Now I have the great pleasure to return the favor. You are welcome here.
Canalchemist and nivek: Welcome! Glad to have you aboard.

Quick question folx: My Sweetling is usually on an 0800-2000 light schedule. For reasons that I won't mention in mixed company, I was a little late getting home this eve. Lights off @ 2100. Is this a huge problem? If so, is there a fix?

BEATEO: So our roles are finally reversed! You welcomed me w/a grace and ease that bespoke more than a mere title. Now I have the great pleasure to return the favor. You are welcome here.
Canalchemist and nivek: Welcome! Glad to have you aboard.

Quick question folx: My Sweetling is usually on an 0800-2000 light schedule. For reasons that I won't mention in mixed company, I was a little late getting home this eve. Lights off @ 2100. Is this a huge problem? If so, is there a fix?

The biggest issue is that an 8 to 8 schedule is a 12 hour schedule that will encourage a regular (photo period) cannabis plant to go into flower. A 13/11 schedule will discourage going into flower. I don't recall if you said if this girl was clone or seed. From the photo, she looks like she is already mature enough to flower by the alternating branches.

You fix the lights off/lights on timing by buying a timer.

It is early in 12/12 without visible pre-flowers, so you are not too bad.
WE NEED PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!

How light tight is your room?

It's there sunlight before 8AM that leaks into her room?

If she was getting supplemental light from another source, she isn't in 12/12 and tonight didn't matter.

Hey there Ranger the photo period can be strain dependant as well, I like to use 10 or 11 on and 13 or 14 off, personally I think it makes them more desperate, and the phenol expression is different as well, I find mostly with an essential oil profile, and the initial stretch on a shorter light cycle is bigger as the plants try to reach for light. And the shorter light cycle will save energy over time.

Back
Top Bottom