Rosin Press: Information Thread

Making your own press is cool stuff.
My heated arbor (dual D-Nails) press cost almost 600
Works great but pocketing over 300 would've been even cooler lol
f3af702aa08a2eba8e904c3dd0de417c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420

That's a darn good guess I forgot that's what medisun was asking for a press.

In other developments I have ordered some of the Cookina BBQ grade PTFE sheets to use instead of parchment. They are supposed to work really well and are reusable.

I think/hope my type or brand parchment paper is part of my problem (hair tool/cured buds). I bought a parchment paper roll from the local corner grocery store, and it looks slightly more textured with random fiber like lines in the paper, but is smooth. Most of the videos show a dab tool collecting rosin, but my rosin seems to embed into the paper with just a couple of tiny sheen pockets visible after press. I have made a few dozens chips though. Being an old rookie is likely the culprit, but I'm not collecting much of anything other than ringed paper and chips! Ha, no worries, just playing around, but the videos made me salivate. Maybe I'll try to find Reynolds brand parchment, mine roll says it was made in Turkey! Not for turkey, but in Turkey! I have some 25, 50 and 75 micron SS screen I use for keif sifting, still my favorite due to taste and effect. How would I collect from SS Screen? I hope then PTFE sheets work out well for you, let us know.
Thanks

Keith

I think/hope my type or brand parchment paper is part of my problem (hair tool/cured buds). I bought a parchment paper roll from the local corner grocery store, and it looks slightly more textured with random fiber like lines in the paper, but is smooth. Most of the videos show a dab tool collecting rosin, but my rosin seems to embed into the paper with just a couple of tiny sheen pockets visible after press. I have made a few dozens chips though. Being an old rookie is likely the culprit, but I'm not collecting much of anything other than ringed paper and chips! Ha, no worries, just playing around, but the videos made me salivate. Maybe I'll try to find Reynolds brand parchment, mine roll says it was made in Turkey! Not for turkey, but in Turkey! I have some 25, 50 and 75 micron SS screen I use for keif sifting, still my favorite due to taste and effect. How would I collect from SS Screen? I hope then PTFE sheets work out well for you, let us know.
Thanks

Keith

Keith the first thing I would recommend is to hydrate the buds in a jar with a Boveda 62% humidity pack. Over dry or over wet buds will not produce well.

The second thing is to make sure to use good parchment paper. And never to use wax paper. I have been using the Reynolds with success. I have a rosin pick up tool secret I invented. A lot of my rosin is very sappy from certain strains. I used to open the freezer and use the cold to harden the sappy rosin a bit. But now I have a better stoner ingenuity method.

I sit a couple soda cans in front of my air conditioner outlet and alternate using one then switching it with the other. I wrap the parchment paper around the soda can and have the rosin facing out not towards the can. The rosin hardens just enough to make it easy to pick up. I don't use a can from the freezer because it gets condensation on it.

With a stainless screen you make a packet to put the kief into and make sure the seam to close it ends up on the middle of the packet not the sides. This will prevent or help to prevent blowouts. Wrap the packet with kief inside two layers of folded parchment paper and press slowly. Then after pressing a couple times you can empty out the kief and press the screen itself inside parchment paper. Or soak in ethanol to get the rest of the goodies out.

The cookina sheets will be here next week and are reusable. I have heard good things.

Here's a primative method that I Macgyver'd and I would say this was a successful event! Thanks Shiggs for the guide!!

That was 0.1 gram, not 0.01 gram. With 2 grams of bud, yield was 5%.
Have you tried a clamp on the iron rather than standing on it?

That was awesome pigeons. If you could link that hair straightener it would help lots of peeps. Rosin stomp!

You may try a higher temp like 240F and see if yield comes up without quality loss. Dont forget to make canna butter with the chips! +reps!

Shiggs, If you try the Rosin Stomp, don't do it near your plants!

/Too soon?

That was awesome pigeons. If you could link that hair straightener it would help lots of peeps. Rosin stomp!

You may try a higher temp like 240F and see if yield comes up without quality loss. Dont forget to make canna butter with the chips! +reps!

Great advice! Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot tonight!

Shiggs, If you try the Rosin Stomp, don't do it near your plants!

/Too soon?

Rosin Stomp!!! :rofl:

No pants. Did you see them legs?! :rofl:

:thumb:

I dig it Shiggity, cool stuff man.

I put in enuff hours down at our shop and then you post crap like this to make me have to spend more there hunched over, 1 hand on our press and other with a rosebud heatin up a couple chunks of steel. LOL

I love seeing ppl build/fab their own stuff man.

Pigeon you could take like a 2 ft length of wood/steel/whatever and wedge one end under like a lip of cabinet ot bench or whatever and have the iron close to that point giving you a long board or whatever cheater bar you use to get a lot of leverage on on the iron when you step on the cheater.

Prob should sneak up on it cuz you really could get a shit load of pressure dependin on how big of a bite you take but then again if you got that much on it depending on what you use for a cheater but that would prob give out before going to big on it.

You may have already gave the Ol "Portagee Press" a go already but if you haven't it would be quick and dirty to try it.

Have fun and thanks for the Vid man

:thumb:

I dig it Shiggity, cool stuff man.

I put in enuff hours down at our shop and then you post crap like this to make me have to spend more there hunched over, 1 hand on our press and other with a rosebud heatin up a couple chunks of steel. LOL

I love seeing ppl build/fab their own stuff man.

Whats a rosebud? How did everything turn out??? Dying to know.

Me too, and props for this thread shiggs, but I'm looking seriously at the high5 offering...because as anyone that's followed any of my grows knows...I'm way lazy.

:cool:

Looks like a quality press from High5 and you can use the heater for an enail I believe.

Back
Top Bottom