Smokin Moose's White Widow Grow Journal

Re: Moose's White Widow grow

That's one remarkable canopy. I can't wait to see the finished product. Do you prefer growing indoors or outdoors? Which do you have more experience with?

Thank you very much for sharing.

Thanks for the comments guys. I prefer growing indoors for the security aspect. Also, indoors let's me choose the light regimen to suit my grow, rather than having to work around the sun.
I have grown outdoors with some phenomenal success. Back in the 80's I grew an original Skunk 1 from Super Sativa Seed Club. It was in my backyard and produced an amazing yield of 3 and a half pounds!
These days I am growing indoors organic, and it keeps me happy. My philosophy is keep it simple.

A true inspiration to myself, at the very least. Experience pays!

What a long 9 days thats going to be! :allgood:

And then dry...and cure... ugghhh such a pain. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I am a new grower growing white widow as well. Your grow is as everyone before me has stated outstanding. There in lies a question I have for you to help me with my next grow. What kind of a system do you use to keep those fat colas upright? I noticed what seemed to be vertical bars and your plants tied to them but I didn't quite grasp if they had some sort of base or how they were planted stationary to keep your plants upright. I know this might sound very simple but it was only two weeks ago when I found one of my girls leaning against the wall. I thought it was ruined for sure but the stem hadn't broke and I'll be harvesting soon. So if you could fill me in? Thank you.

Bluemode...

^ No worries matey. When my plants started to bud, I went and got some bamboo stakes and set them in the pots. Now don't laugh, but I use multi coloured pipe cleaners to secure my plants to the stake. I use them to tension the plant against it's growth into and towards the lights, and I use the to give support to the heads as they develop. If I need to, I just twist 2 or 3 of them together, put a little crochet hook on the end, and "gaff" the branch I want to support or tension. Unlike string, the pipe cleaners are rigid yet flexible, and do not sag. I can the tension branches towards the stake, or I can tension them away to open up the plant a bit to let the light in.
My grow area is 4m2 so I want to use all the available space, and make sure that my plants are optimising light output. I only use the coloured pipe cleaners. They look prettier lol.
Hope that helps.

Were you afraid to rotate the plants because of their height?
Plants look very heathy. I see three of the phenos you talked about. Unfortunately the widow never has stablized well over the years.
Staking was a very good ideal. Organic is a nice touch.
Where did you get such a ancient looking batwing reflector? Looks like something left over from the 80s. Is it white on the inside or brushed aluminum? If you are going to continue growing fine weed you might wanna think about a light upgrade in the future. Or at least a agrosun bulb upgrade.
And a newer style reflector would help keep the heat off the top of the plants.
I feel like I'm nitpickin, it looks good Moose. Real Good.

your info will help me greatly, thank you. I might even copy you with the colored pipe cleaners. I wonder though were you worried about damaging any roots by putting in the bamboo stakes? I will be putting in mine right after they sprout or do you think it even matters? Curious.

Bluemode...

Love your input. This grow was a test in simplicity to see if I could pull off a grow without all the so called essential extras. By that I mean state of the art lighting, reflectors, fancy ferts, etc. My challenge was to walk into the grow room with just a light, a fan, medium and every day garden store ferts. I think I may have managed to do that.
Re turning the plants, I was actually turning the plants, right up until about the 2nd week of flowering. Then I stopped. I centred my pots to cover the 4m2 of grow space, then I let the plants chase the light. I used the central stalks on the outer plants as tensioning poles, and used wire pipe cleaners to shape the plants to maximise light capture. In the images, you can see where I have tension lines from the outer bamboo poles, as well as tension lines from the stalk to the growth side near the light. By not having a reflector, the plants grew around the light source, rather than as round bushy plants. Either way you do it, the idea is to have 4m2 covered with budding points. I know I could have increased my yield if I had used reflectors and the fancy food, but not by much. One good thing I am able to do is maximise delivery of nutrients to the plant, suited to it's immediate growing needs. Personally, I believe a lot of fancy stuff from hydro stores and grow shops is a crock of bull. Hand your hard earned money over for nothing...no thanks.
I used a cheap but good medium from my local garden store, added 25 % worm castings, and was away. I just kept pumping the food in the way I learned from 30 years as a gardener.
All up, it was an interesting exercise, and one I will most likely repeat, depending on the final yield of this crop.
And please don't hold me up as a master grower. I am but a gardener by trade, but I know my way around a cannabis plant.
That's why Urdedpal, I have been studying your archival threads. You have been teaching me heaps. You my friend are a master grower! One day I will try a technical grow, but that seems a little too clinical to me. What does work for me is KISS

your info will help me greatly, thank you. I might even copy you with the colored pipe cleaners. I wonder though were you worried about damaging any roots by putting in the bamboo stakes? I will be putting in mine right after they sprout or do you think it even matters? Curious.

Bluemode...

I didn't put the bamboo stakes in until near the end, and I just slid them down the side of the pots. The few I inserted through the medium caused no harm at all. The bamboo is only 1/4". I would only insert them when you need them, for the simple reason they may not be in the right spot when you need to use them.

I am right with you about price matters. Its why I tested a large variety of boosters. I went hydro because I am a techy and it suits the way I grow.
I never cared for watering soil mediems and cleaning up the mess which seems to happen anytime you work with dirt LOL.
I am just a grower like you and I love how your attitude is with helping others.
I think we are going to get along great.
You seem to read the plants very well and your grow environment looks clean and simple. This hobby can stay cheap or it can get very expensive depending on if your satisfied with your results or if you think you can improve and increase yeild. Many times its speed and yeild that makes the difference while others is flavor and potency. Depends on the agenda. With todays new technology and seeing improvements all the time, you almost can't help to upgrade your grow equipment.

As for staking, its best to stake in the veg state so if roots are damaged, this does not take energy from bud production to regen the damaged roots.
You also want to stay away from the main taps so plant growth isn't stunted indefinately. Damaging the main tap roots aways compromises yeild even if you don't notice it unless you do a side by side weight comparison.
Pruning and staking are also normally done together.

Now don't laugh, but I use multi coloured pipe cleaners to secure my plants to the stake. I use them to tension the plant against it's growth into and towards the lights, and I use the to give support to the heads as they develop. If I need to, I just twist 2 or 3 of them together, put a little crochet hook on the end, and "gaff" the branch I want to support or tension. Unlike string, the pipe cleaners are rigid yet flexible, and do not sag. I can the tension branches towards the stake, or I can tension them away to open up the plant a bit to let the light in.

Lol i use those pipe cleaners for lst, funny thing is i use the colored ones too. They work really well for me because you dont even have to tie them just twist it and its good. It makes it alot quicker if i need to move something around. Also i think the fuzzy stuff might work like a cushion and prevents you from damaging the plant.

Back
Top Bottom