Stevehman's Advanced LED 360 vs. 180 - Multiple Strains - NFT Grow 4.0

I was looking at the girls and notice the tell-tale sign of the early signs of bud rot on the single cola G-bud.

Steve, that Gigabud looks great! You said you removed the top 3"- any way to post a pic of the affected area? I would really like to know what an early indicator of bud rot looks like.

Steve,

That is interesting on the topped clones. Actually, the PE clones I'm about to put in flower started from "pre-topped" clones and they were all rooted within a week, too.

I guess it makes sense, since the topping redistributes the auxins to the nodes just below the topping, that whole area is probably swimming with growth hormones after it was topped!

Thanks for the insite. I appreciate all of your advice and I will be taking it to hart. I think I'm with you on brand but I might give someone else a shoot for the right price and post a journal. Either way I'll stick with sponsors for sure. Thanks again.

In all honesty, picking out an LED today is quite simple... Just follow the forums (here and abroad, too). There are a number of past and current documented grows (very successful grows mind you) using various LEDs and various growing methods.

Crap, 18 months ago there was a handful of "LED pioneers" here that shook the sieve, separated results from BS and found the lights and vendors worth dealing with, it is even better now.

Now, I say it's just a matter of reading up on some past grows, following some current grows, ask a few questions, and find the best light/vendor to match your space/style of growing.

Contact the vendor(s), ask questions. There is always going to be something "better" that you "should of" gotten, but by waiting too long, you passing up precious growing time.

I feel for you on the mold. It is horrible in my area, in and on every thing. Have you considered using a dehumidifier? It helped me out alot and you with your DIY skills you can just run a line back to your top-off res. Idk anything about an ozone but the cons don't sound good even for an attic. Just a lil food for thought.

@endive
I hear ya, time is pleassure and I'm tired of wasting it. I'm sure it didn't take long to weed out the bs on here. I've said it befor "I wish I would have joined sooner" I might be late but I'm here now..lol. Thanks for the incite

@SteveHman
The clones are looking great! How hard do you think it would be to build a 12 site cloner?

I feel for you on the mold. It is horrible in my area, in and on every thing. Have you considered using a dehumidifier? It helped me out alot and you with your DIY skills you can just run a line back to your top-off res. Idk anything about an ozone but the cons don't sound good even for an attic. Just a lil food for thought.
Humidity isn't a huge factor, almost always under 50%. The cola was just so dense that its internal humidity must have been close to 100%

I will have the ozone on a timer so that it isn't on constantly. I will run it for a 12 hour period at first though, I'll go hit the beach while it's on. I just want to make sure any spores (mold, mildew etc...) are all dead before next grow. I also have an attic fan in the space so it can clear out the air fast once I get home.

I didn't take any pics of the early signs of bud rot, the way to tell is the small fan leaves of the bud start to die and turn brownish at the base, then they will pull out very easy, almost no resistance, that is when you know something bad is happening inside the bud.

None of the other plants have any signs of bad things happening, they aren't nearly as thick as this was. That picture is on an 8x11 piece of paper and minus the top three inches, so it was close to being a 4x13 chunk of bud.

Spores are everywhere, looking for a home. It's the conditions, that rot the buds.
And genetic qualities to a lesser extent.
Air must move everywhere, and for thick colas it should be more dry.

Drier air pulls more water up, bringing with it all of the plant's food.
Want faster transpiration? Dehumidify to <40%, run mid eighties, and enrich CO2 to 1500.

I wonder what a hyperbaric chamber would do, or a partial vacuum :hmmmm:

One thing for sure:
When I assemble my fancy schmancy controlled environment flower production chamber,
lumens will be emitted by LEDs :Namaste:

I have never run leds before so I am only here for moral support.
Prop, your info is good, you know too much.
Sorry to hear about bud rot. I hate when the humidity goes up and I can't control it. I one time harvested at 80% and the buds would not dry, took well over a month and I lost 3 main colas to bud rot. That really sucked.

I have never run leds before so I am only here for moral support.
Prop, your info is good, you know too much.
Sorry to hear about bud rot. I hate when the humidity goes up and I can't control it. I one time harvested at 80% and the buds would not dry, took well over a month and I lost 3 main colas to bud rot. That really sucked.
The thing is that the RH never got above 50% (the RH is usually in the mid 40s). That bud was so fat and thick it was just moist from the internal humidity and having nowhere to go.

@Littllman, building a cloner is super easy. I made one before I bought the 60 site unit. I'll take some pics of it an put up a quick DIY post, although there are several out there. Total cost for the DIY was about $60.

Humidity isn't a huge factor, almost always under 50%. The cola was just so dense that its internal humidity must have been close to 100%

I will have the ozone on a timer so that it isn't on constantly. I will run it for a 12 hour period at first though, I'll go hit the beach while it's on. I just want to make sure any spores (mold, mildew etc...) are all dead before next grow. I also have an attic fan in the space so it can clear out the air fast once I get home.

I didn't take any pics of the early signs of bud rot, the way to tell is the small fan leaves of the bud start to die and turn brownish at the base, then they will pull out very easy, almost no resistance, that is when you know something bad is happening inside the bud.

None of the other plants have any signs of bad things happening, they aren't nearly as thick as this was. That picture is on an 8x11 piece of paper and minus the top three inches, so it was close to being a 4x13 chunk of bud.

Problem might be in the root zone? PH will jump way up or way down. Could be why it only effected one plant. Its just a thought and I am throwing it out there but can also happen with poor air flow in certain areas in the grow environment.

I agree, if the plant is, or may be root bound, the first step will be to transplant to a larger container. If the plant is root bound, it can cause all kinds of other issues including the ability to adquately uptake nutes (hence, possible deficiencies!).

FYI, it's my understanding that a root bound plant will start yellowing at the bottom of the plant and work it's way up.

No problems with being root bound or with the pH (recirc NFT, lots of room for the roots, all get the same nutes and tons of O2). And there is a bunch of air circulation in there as well2 fans at either side drawing fresh air in, 4 fans mounted between the NFT chambers blowing up upwards and an exhaust fan.

I have seen some of the fan leaves sweating before and I think it is just that this particular bud was so dense that the moisture had no where to go and caused the mold.

No problems with being root bound or with the pH (recirc NFT, lots of room for the roots, all get the same nutes and tons of O2). And there is a bunch of air circulation in there as well2 fans at either side drawing fresh air in, 4 fans mounted between the NFT chambers blowing up upwards and an exhaust fan.

I have seen some of the fan leaves sweating before and I think it is just that this particular bud was so dense that the moisture had no where to go and caused the mold.

LOL...I'm sorry! My post was actually supposed to be in another journal....I'll repost it there. Not sure how that happened! :)

@Littllman, building a cloner is super easy. I made one before I bought the 60 site unit. I'll take some pics of it an put up a quick DIY post, although there are several out there. Total cost for the DIY was about $60.

Thanks man, I checked out 420Field's 50site after I posted that. But that's just a lil big for my needs at this point. It would be nice to see what others have done for more references to go by. I cant wate to see more pics and how the girls turn out. I wouldn't worrie too much about the budrot, shit happens and we live on.

My entry in the POTM contest:
DSC_9238.JPG
DSC_9239.JPG

She's the G-bud under the mystery 200w (an Advanced Light, soon to be released).

Make sure to vote this month, even if it's for someone else's plant, just get out and vote!

Back
Top Bottom