Stevehman's 780W LED - DIY 4 in PVC Recirc - Caramlicious Grow

Re: Stevehman's 780W LED, DIY 4 in PVC Recirc, Caramlicious Grow

it is very possible since the 180 was was flanked by 2x300's

I actually just picked up 2x290's and i believe they are the newer models as they the have the resister per LED design to prevent full board malfunction.

Ill have 6 plants set up in a 2x3 formation, trying to figure out if i should lay the lamps out like you did (parallel with your plants in a - - pattern) of if i should run them perpendicular (more of a | |).

That being said, ive grown with at least 4 different LED lamps, and have never seen number's like yours. kudos sir!

I ran mine that direction because the space is 2x6. For your space I would turn them (| |), keep them 12-18 inches above the canopy, they will bleach the top of your buds if they get too close. I would have liked to get the new models, but I ended up with the last of last year's model. I got a killer price, so can't complain too much.

Make sure to set up a journal when you get the grow started and send me a link.

Hey Stevehman, I just put in the order for 2 360w extreme LED's from Advanced LED!!!!!!!!!!! I told Karl that it was mainly due to your post I hope you don't mind I gave him the link to check it out. He said when put in your next order for lights he will give you a discount on the lights you buy! I sent you a Private Message on the details of what to tell him when and if you do place another light order. Thanks again for all the info!!!!!!! I can't wait to see these bad boys in action!!!!!!!
:surf:

Not sure if I missed it, but what system are you planning on running next round?

Steve, wassup bro, I voted for you for nug, member and plant of the month, i guess 2 of 3 really cause you were not in one of them. You grew some incredible meds in a self designed setup, and only your 3rd (2nd?) grow, just awesome impressive shit.

I am planning on building a system similar to yours, I was planning on using "T"'s to give 6-12 inches of root space for the girls on the bottom, then linking the bottom of those tubes together with some 2" PVC, then having the return end (of the main 4") open as you did. What do you think of this idea? Do you have pics of the roots after these came out? Am I solving a problem that doesnt exist? That jordan electronics box scares me, makes me think I should add some measure to prevent roots from blocking the pipe...

Maer

Steve, wassup bro, I voted for you for nug, member and plant of the month, i guess 2 of 3 really cause you were not in one of them. You grew some incredible meds in a self designed setup, and only your 3rd (2nd?) grow, just awesome impressive shit.

I am planning on building a system similar to yours, I was planning on using "T"'s to give 6-12 inches of root space for the girls on the bottom, then linking the bottom of those tubes together with some 2" PVC, then having the return end (of the main 4") open as you did. What do you think of this idea? Do you have pics of the roots after these came out? Am I solving a problem that doesnt exist? That jordan electronics box scares me, makes me think I should add some measure to prevent roots from blocking the pipe...

Maer
Maer,
Thank you for the votes. It looks like it's going to be a tough month to win, lots of great competition.

I didn't take a shot of my roots, but they were healthy looking and not too massive. They had enough nutes so they didn't have to go in search of food and grow out real long. I did have a small problem with the roots slowing down the flow though. I solved it easily by raising the feed end another 1/2 inch to give it more run. I wouldn't worry about. It sounds like you're making it more complex than it needs to be. If I were to redesign this system, the only thing I would do different is to turn the "U" shape around, put a "T" at the bottom of the "U" and have that be the drain and then run a feed line to the 2 ends. That would help mitigate the chance of a blockage since the nutes would not be flowing through the entire 17 foot run (just 2 6 foot runs connected by the bottom of the "U").

I like to go as simple as possible with the fewest and cheapest parts. Not sure what the jordan electronics box is? I have a downspout connector at the end of my pipe, not glued into place so I can turn it to raise or lower the nute levels. For the last 3-4 weeks I removed it entirely and things went smoothly.

Not sure if I missed it, but what system are you planning on running next round?
NE,
I am going to use an Aeroflo 20 system that I have laying in the garage, I'll make a few mods to it and am waiting for the replacement part to come in to get started. So the system will be an Aero-NFT recirc. I'll have three strains going and the clones are starting to get their roots as of yesterday (little white bumps). I've been taking pics of everything to date for the new journal, which I'll start as soon as the clones are ready to go into the box, which I am guessing should be another week.

I am toying with the idea of using some coco matting in the bottom of one of the NFT tubes to see if it makes a difference, it would give a better surface for the beneficials to grow on and the roots to anchor to. I don't know if anyone else has tried that before? The mats come in 2x2 1 inch thick mats, I would cut it 5 inches wide and slide them down the NFT tube (the Aero is 5 inch square).

Thanks for checking in!

Steve,

:bravo:

You are my new 420 hero. First of all your DIY RDWC/NFT system freaking rocks! After reading your thread and seeing the results from your LEDs I just spent the $$ for the Advanced LED 180. I never expected to go LED after investing in a 250W HID system but I realized that I can save about $100/mo in electricity so the unit will pay for itself within 2 grows. Oh and one more thing- your clone to flower technique = GENIUS. I always wanted to do that! Congratulations on your harvest!

Steve,

You are my new 420 hero. First of all your DIY RDWC/NFT system freaking rocks! After reading your thread and seeing the results from your LEDs I just spent the $$ for the Advanced LED 180. I never expected to go LED after investing in a 250W HID system but I realized that I can save about $100/mo in electricity so the unit will pay for itself within 2 grows. Oh and one more thing- your clone to flower technique = GENIUS. I always wanted to do that! Congratulations on your harvest!

JC,
Thanks for the compliments. I think you'll be pleased with the 180. What size area are you going to cover with it?

The clone-to-bloom was out of necessity, I don't have room for a veg area, but even if I did I wouldn't now that I've seen the results. Why waste the extra time. Since the clones are basically the same age as the mother plant, they are already mature when they start showing healthy roots and a little new growth.

I'll be starting up a new journal next week, just need to finalize a few things first.

I guess the mods can move this over to the completed journals section.

Thanks to everyone that stopped by and commented and I'd also like to thank all that have voted for me in this month's Member of the Month contest.

So these were spaced 7 inch on center, would you change that at all?

I think the distance was fine for the style of grow. Clone-to-bloom, no veg time. If you plan on vegging then you'll get more lateral growth and want to space them further apart. Also if you are going to do the 420fied style of SOG then you could go a bit closer.

yo homie whats up with that new journal??

I've been thinking about adding an aquaponics latly though I wouldn't do that till I move in the next 3-6 months.

Hydro

New journal is coming soon. I have been swamped with work issues the past few weeks and the "hobby" has had to wait. I have a bunch of clones ready to go, just need to get everything into the new grow space, just waiting on a few things to come in first, they should be here today.

Your grow is looking great by the way!

Absolutely amazing grow my friend...I would be overjoyed to get half of what you did on my grow...Good luck in your future grows and I will surely stay tuned to any and all other posts by you...Very inspiring grow:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Absolutely amazing grow my friend...I would be overjoyed to get half of what you did on my grow...Good luck in your future grows and I will surely stay tuned to any and all other posts by you...Very inspiring grow:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Wiloby,
Thanks for the kind words. My new journal will be up soon. I am just waiting for a 360w light from Advanced to come in before I kick it off. I saw what their 180w did compared to the other companies 300w, so I figured I'd like to see what their 360 can do. I can't wait!

If your space is 24 inches across why not go for 3 tubes? They are spaced 7 inch on center so that should leave 8 inches for each to bush out, and if you offset them even more? Thoughts?

Maer,
I thought about doing that, and still might. My concern is keeping within the maximum number of plants that I'm allowed. Also, I think that you could get the same yield with fewer plants with SCROG or LST.

I guess it all comes down to yield per sq foot. I don't know what a good number is, but I put out a little over 20 ounces dried/cured bud in just under 12 square feet, which is about 47 gr a foot. I see a lot of seeds being advertised with a yield of 450 gr per sq meter, since there are 10.76 square feet in a square meter I am above the advertised yield at 508 gr per sq meter.

Another concern I have is air flow, I don't want to overcrowd my space and not get good air circulation. I don't want to get PM or grey mold, so I need to keep the air moving as much as possible.

Once I have more space later this summer I will do a complete redesign and see what I can come up with.

New journal coming very soon, as soon as the UPS man drops off the new light.

OK, I have the final dried weight of the chop. Drum roll please:tommy:

The total dry weight is .....635 grams. 50 grams are stems so the total bud weight is 585 grams, that is just over 1-1/4 pounds. From a 2x6x4 area!

Almost an 80% water loss, they're pretty crispy too.

DSC_8890.JPG

My NOTM picture that I will post to update the competition:

DSC_8889.JPG

And the nugs in curing jars. It took 6 1/2 gallon and 2 quart jars to store them.
DSC_8891.JPG

I'll be starting the renovation of the box and the Grow 4.0 journal next week, I need a few day to decompress and reorganize.

Awesome harvest buddy :bravo:

Back
Top Bottom