Advanced LED vs TopLED Side By Side Comparison - Hawaiian Snow & Blueberry

re: Advanced LED vs TopLED Side By Side Comparison - Hawaiian Snow & Blueberry

I think what really needs to happen is a true grow off. This is something I may do in the near future. Three lights HPS, LED brand 1 and LED brand 2 all covering the same area as intended with all other things kept 100% the same. After the grow is complete get weights and then send all 3 samples to the lab for test.... That is the only way to get true answers.

I agree 100%.

I would love to have $10K to spend on a true comparisons, with no skin in the game just hard evidence using controlled tests.

Be nice if manufacturers step up to plate and at least two of them offer to sponsor a comparison.

My most sincere gratitude to all of you who are actually running side by side comparisons of these lamps! We, the community who benefits from your work at no cost, are greatly in your debt.

Well this is the last photo update for this journal, why in a moment.

flower Day 49

Still no real difference between the two sides. These two plants have had a rough flower life, battling mites(none seen in check a moment ago) and an owner letting res get too low on pH for to long. So they not the most photogenic in the world but smell great.

I am ending this a bit prematurely, as I need space for another plant. I have moved the two plants into one of my 4X4 tents to finish up, I am thinking 65-70 days overall.

I know not the most scientific of 'studies' but I got what I wanted out of it. I see no reason for the large difference in price. Yes one could make the argument that since i sucked it up as a grower, that the plants did not reach full potential thus showing off the superiority of one side over the other. Basically say if light power is an upper limit i did not test those limits by bad growing skills, but i do not think that the case.

I have concluded, for myself at least, that the DS series is not worth the price compared to the Reflector lights. does this correlate to other models by same brand, one can judge that for themselves. But for the price, I think the choice is clear between these two lights.

Here is last photo update, Top LED reflector on left Advanced DS series on right(the TopLEd is the 'greener' one while DS is more 'pink')..
DSCN24603.JPG
DSCN24614.JPG
DSCN24624.JPG
DSCN24635.JPG
DSCN24645.JPG
DSCN24654.JPG
DSCN24665.JPG
DSCN24674.JPG

Outside of tent with flash...
TopLED
DSCN24687.JPG
DSCN24693.JPG

Advanced
DSCN24706.JPG
DSCN24715.JPG
DSCN24726.JPG

I will be starting new journal for this plant....
DSCN24184.JPG

It is an MK Ultra that will be Scrogged in this 3X3 tent. Too tired to finish it up tonight, but tomorrow I will remove light divider, and hang my 6 piece Top LED COB unit in between these two lights, that should be enough light power:) Set up Screen, week of veg then flower.

I confirmed a lot of my suspicions with this side by side and it was worht my time, but dang it a pain in the ass. I really need this space to move on with some better things!

A slightly abrupt end but I agree with your conclusion on the LED argument. Both lights performed the same so the price of light wins out. Ronnie showed the Lush to be inferior to the Advanced & your side by side saw no difference between TopED & Advanced. If anyone is considering buying either Advanced, Lush or TopLED, the decision has been made much easier & I know where my money would go.

Fair enough. No one can argue with that. Specially since there was no noticeable difference.

I would look forward to a smoke report, Crawdaddy. But I don't expect miracles to come from that either.

Again, thank you for one of the most interesting comparisons.

Hey Serephim, your logic is pretty much the same as mine, except for one important adjustment...

if the more expensive light does indeed produce lets say, 10-25% better bud, that extra % at the top end is much harder to obtain then the middle percentile. So the cost comparison to quality at high end weed grower is not 1:1.

to put it another way, with growing pot in general IMO, it not too hard to grow good weed, but growing REAL good weed is a whole new level of difficulty.

That last 10% is much harder to get too then the 10% before it and so on, if 100% is cannabis cup type weed.

But I do not see the Advanced light being any perceptible difference better so far.

I will update soon, I have been lax. they just budding along, no real observable major differences between the sides.

I wonder if the top 10% is more about the techniques than the lighting.

I go along with the dollar per watt logic because lots of great bud is grown with basic led.

I use a 500 actual draw that was less than a dollar a watt shipped. It's been running for a year and it def works. It has taken me a little while to get it really shine.

western_winds_icy_8-26.jpg
jack_8-26-14_icy.jpg
8-26_western_winds_icy.jpg

Thanks for the comparison grow out...def informative +rep thanks for the journal...

Subbed for the new one:)

I've been in communication with a guy who makes LED panels & asked for PAR readings. He replied with this, can anyone confirm if the info is correct?
I dont have any PAR readings yet for a simple reason, the normal PAR Quantum Flux meters you can buy including expensive ones like Apogee DO NOT work for leds although many are sold as having this ability (including the Apogee). The reason is the photo-transitors they use can NOT measure any red wavelengths over about 630 - 640 nm which means they will not measure the output of the 660nm leds which make up over 1/3 of the panel! The only meters which work properly for leds are research grade units like the Skye Instruments meters and they are REALLY expensive! I am working on hiring a unit from them.

I've been in communication with a guy who makes LED panels & asked for PAR readings. He replied with this, can anyone confirm if the info is correct?
I dont have any PAR readings yet for a simple reason, the normal PAR Quantum Flux meters you can buy including expensive ones like Apogee DO NOT work for leds although many are sold as having this ability (including the Apogee). The reason is the photo-transitors they use can NOT measure any red wavelengths over about 630 - 640 nm which means they will not measure the output of the 660nm leds which make up over 1/3 of the panel! The only meters which work properly for leds are research grade units like the Skye Instruments meters and they are REALLY expensive! I am working on hiring a unit from them.

This talks about some problems with different types of sensors for PAR meters

https://envsupport.licor.com/docs/TechNote126.pdf

Here is what I would do if I had the time, space and cash to fund it all myself. Of course everything else the same, using clones from the same mom, same size tents and same nutes and everything the same except the lamps.

The constant in the non-hybrid lamp face-off being the $ spent on lighting for each tent. So, for example. Say, the $400-$650 range. You can get a 1000HPS, or a TopLED 1600 or a .... oops, no budmaster GOD lamp in that range. We will have to get a bud master GOD lamp at the lowest available price, i think that is $1,500 and then whatever the results of that grow can be roughly divided by three to put it in the ($500) range of the other two. That is because the smallest GOD lamp cost roughly three times as much as what this test's range is.

Tent-A: TopLED alone (Mars-II 1600)
vs
Tent-B: Budmaster GOD alone (Budmaster II 300 GOD Divided by 3)
vs
Tent-C: HPS alone (Standard 1000Watt HPS)

Keeping track of course of direct energy consumption by the light itself and indirect energy consumption by the cooling equipment that may be needed to keep the temperature in check due to the light. This will reveal the true cost. etc.

Then, a separate test.. This one for pure weight and quality without cost being an issue.

Tent-AA: Hybrid 1 — TopLED+HPS
vs
Tent-BB: Hybrid 2 — Budmaster+HPS

We know the hybrids will likely win out in terms of all around weight but I am curious if the bud from the hybrids would be better quality in any way than the bud of the HPS alone and how they would differ if at all from the LED alone bud. I am also curious how the two hybrids would compare to each other. Just an all around very interesting lighting tournament, no?

Here is what I would do if I had the time, space and cash to fund it all myself. Of course everything else the same, using clones from the same mom, same size tents and same nutes and everything the same except the lamps.

The constant in the non-hybrid lamp face-off being the $ spent on lighting for each tent. So, for example. Say, the $400-$650 range. You can get a 1000HPS, or a TopLED 1600 or a .... oops, no budmaster GOD lamp in that range. We will have to get a bud master GOD lamp at the lowest available price, i think that is $1,500 and then whatever the results of that grow can be roughly divided by three to put it in the ($500) range of the other two. That is because the smallest GOD lamp cost roughly three times as much as what this test's range is.

Tent-A: TopLED alone (Mars-II 1600)
vs
Tent-B: Budmaster GOD alone (Budmaster II 300 GOD Divided by 3)
vs
Tent-C: HPS alone (Standard 1000Watt HPS)

Keeping track of course of direct energy consumption by the light itself and indirect energy consumption by the cooling equipment that may be needed to keep the temperature in check due to the light. This will reveal the true cost. etc.

Then, a separate test.. This one for pure weight and quality without cost being an issue.

Tent-AA: Hybrid 1 — TopLED+HPS
vs
Tent-BB: Hybrid 2 — Budmaster+HPS

We know the hybrids will likely win out in terms of all around weight but I am curious if the bud from the hybrids would be better quality in any way than the bud of the HPS alone and how they would differ if at all from the LED alone bud. I am also curious how the two hybrids would compare to each other. Just an all around very interesting lighting tournament, no?

Some interesting ideas.

I think they are a few basic ways to compare...

performance/price

performance/watt

Personally I Would love to try one of the Budmaster GOD panels, but who can afford that?

platinum led is talking a lot of game.

They look like the Advanced DS series knock offs, I do not buy the 'USA made' diodes claim. But i am always suspicious.

Side Note: Just because 420 has an LED company as a sponsor, I do not take as an endorsement. It just means they agreed to give 420 money. I do not think 420 vets their sponsors very much. Not saying that as a knock on 420, just what it appears to be IMO.

subb'd

The ones that tell you instantly are unreliable but the ones that tell you over time work just fine. I have three very accurate PAR meters growing here. They don't lie.

Back
Top Bottom