The Shroom Room With Lady Cannafan

I just had a braniac thought.....

Making all-in-one bags from Turkey roasting bags. I had thought about using bread bags that you can buy on amazon, but they are too thin. Turkey roasting bags are plenty thick enough, I think. Cheaper than buying the grow bags online, I'll bet.
I just need to work out the injection site and the patch for air exchange. Pretty sure I bought some self healing injection ports.

I just had a braniac thought.....

Making all-in-one bags from Turkey roasting bags. I had thought about using bread bags that you can buy on amazon, but they are too thin. Turkey roasting bags are plenty thick enough, I think. Cheaper than buying the grow bags online, I'll bet.
I just need to work out the injection site and the patch for air exchange. Pretty sure I bought some self healing injection ports.
When I've injected bags without a port I just flame sterilize and it's hot so right through the bag......squirt squirt....then the paper tape (medical tape) over the little hole. I also put a vent escape in a top corner with tape over that as well. Just my two cents. Happy Friday/Saturday! Sounds like you have some good spores that arrived as well!! Rock and Roll!! 😎✌️

When I've injected bags without a port I just flame sterilize and it's hot so right through the bag......squirt squirt....then the paper tape (medical tape) over the little hole. I also put a vent escape in a top corner with tape over that as well. Just my two cents. Happy Friday/Saturday! Sounds like you have some good spores that arrived as well!! Rock and Roll!! 😎✌️
I was thinking the same. We do that with the Uncle Ben's bags, just use micropore tape on the injection hole and then over the air exchange cut.

The Blue Meanie tub that I have been waiting on a third flush from was doing nuttin'.

I took it out of the grow house and sterilized some gloves to check the substrate. It was light as a feather, dry as a bone. Even though there is humidity evident on the top of the dub tub and the walls of the substrate tub, that substrate was dry.
I had misted it a couple times, but apparently not enough.

So, I gradually added some distilled water to it and mixed it up again.
Now, we'll see what happens. More mushrooms? Only time will tell.

I was thinking the same. We do that with the Uncle Ben's bags, just use micropore tape on the injection hole and then over the air exchange cut.
The uncle bens tek is where I got the idea. Just copied it!! Happy Saturday. But honestly you're kickin ass!! 😎✌️

The Blue Meanie tub that I have been waiting on a third flush from was doing nuttin'.

I took it out of the grow house and sterilized some gloves to check the substrate. It was light as a feather, dry as a bone. Even though there is humidity evident on the top of the dub tub and the walls of the substrate tub, that substrate was dry.
I had misted it a couple times, but apparently not enough.

So, I gradually added some distilled water to it and mixed it up again.
Now, we'll see what happens. More mushrooms? Only time will tell.
Here's hoping for ya!

Update on what's going on here.

I have 6 tubs of substrate going with Blue Meanie and Tidal Wave birdseed spawn.
They all look like they are doing well with spots of mycelial growth.

I still have two tubs of Tidal Wave in the Ecosphere, that are giving me a few more fruit. The Blue Meanie tub that was so dry, appears to be waking up after I mixed it up and moistened it.

Won't be too long, and I should be walking my fingers through some new mushroom fields.

One of the Uncle Ben's bags is ready to be mixed into substrate. Will get to that in the next couple of days....I hope.
The second UB bag is doing jack chit. I'm probably going to toss that one.

I have not had time to do anything with the new spore syringes I got, hopefully soon.

Okay, subject of discussion for the shrooms we grow:

Vacuum Sealing Fresh Shrooms
Is it safe? Can they get botulinum?

I wonder. Michigan State University says in part:

Botulinum is an anaerobic bacterium, which means it can survive without oxygen and produce a deadly toxin. This toxin leads to an illness called botulism and is generally life threatening. Some C. botulinum strains do not grow well in the refrigerator, and keeping the package sealed in cold conditions can prevent its growth. But there are different strains of C. botulinum, and some can grow in cold temperatures
  • Although bacteria that cause spoilage may not have access to the food to turn the food to slime or mold or a smelly blob, other pathogenic bacteria can survive. Clostridium botulinum (botulinum) is a very dangerous pathogen that can survive without oxygen.
  • Food will still spoil; it does not prevent spoilage.
  • Vacuum sealer manufacturers recommend that you do not package raw onions, fresh mushrooms or fresh garlic due to botulinum concerns.
Vacuum Sealer Manufacturers pretty much agree on this warning:

Some foods contain anaerobic bacteria, which can grow without the presence of air. Within a vacuum sealed pouch, with reduced oxygen, these bacteria will grow and may pose a risk to your health.

Do not vacuum seal:
raw mushrooms
garlic
soft cheeses (blue cheese, brie, camembert, ricotta and other soft and unpasteurized cheeses)
freshly cooked or steamed vegetables (safe to vacuum seal after they are at room temperature)

My brain would not stop last night. I was trying to make decisions and relax at the same time.
It wasn't working. I knew I would not be able to sleep.
I finally said "F" it and had a mushroom cocktail.... :laughtwo:

Mushroom cocktail.jpg

All good here, Thx for asking. Just jared up over 8 zips of Lsd and Northern Lights. Hope all is good with you Lady Cannafan.
Laugh with me......I had to edit the post temporarily because I realized a spelling error on my photo text. You can't just delete a whole post, so I had to put something there while I fixed the error. The post is now the way I wanted it to begin with. :rofl:

So, glad to read you are doing well. I'm pretty good today, all of my tubs are doing what they should and I will have a third flush of Blue Meanies by tomorrow. Not a bunch, but it is the third flush, so I didn't expect much.
The tidal wave are waiting on a third flush now too.

I think I will run out of room in the Ecosphere when all the newer substrates are ready. They are rockin' and rollin' with mycelium!

8 zips! Good for you!

Laugh with me......I had to edit the post temporarily because I realized a spelling error on my photo text. You can't just delete a whole post, so I had to put something there while I fixed the error. The post is now the way I wanted it to begin with. :rofl:

So, glad to read you are doing well. I'm pretty good today, all of my tubs are doing what they should and I will have a third flush of Blue Meanies by tomorrow. Not a bunch, but it is the third flush, so I didn't expect much.
The tidal wave are waiting on a third flush now too.

I think I will run out of room in the Ecosphere when all the newer substrates are ready. They are rockin' and rollin' with mycelium!

8 zips! Good for you!
Good to hear. I have been on a break with the shroomz. I have way more than I can use in a reasonable amount of time.

I think the birds saw me carry in the 20 lb. bag of wild birdseed and had a party thinking they were getting some treats soon.
Little do they know.....it's for mushrooms. :laughtwo:

I've been watching the mycelium spread in the tubs with birdseed substrate, and the tubs with the Uncle Ben's substrate.
The Uncle Ben's was mixed up a week or so later than the birdseed, and it has 3 times the mycelium coverage already. It's quite thick coverage, where the birdseed is still spotty but coming along.

Depending on what grows from it, Uncle Ben's may be the winner on the speed of progression.

I will try for a couple of pics tomorrow to show the difference.

I've been getting 3 or 4 mushroom a day from one of the original Tidal Wave substrates that are in the Ecosphere. They keep falling over before they open up. I think this is because when I started with those first tubs my substrate was only a little over an inch thick. My newer ones that are waiting for full mycelium are a little shy of 3" thick hoping to prevent the toppling over.

So, because it worked on the Blue Meanie tub to mix up the dry substrate with some distilled water, I pulled out the two Tidal Wave in the tent and mixed them both together while adding a little water to them.
They are now all one tub about 2 1/2 inch thick, and back into the tent to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom