Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm Makes 3 - Perpetual 2000w

Re: Papa Green's Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm makes 3 - Perpetual 2000

Hey Papa, sorry I missed you on your Walnut Creek visit, we're not far, but spent the 4th at the coast.

Bored trimming? hmmm, I wish I had that problem :cool:

:peace:

LOL - we prolly passed on the Highway.

I know - no complaining about trimming - once I get started its not so bad, but, before I know it 6 hours are gone and I still have all the other stuff to do. No biggee. It makes for a long week, but rewarding for sure.

:peacetwo:

Re: Papa Green's Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm makes 3 - Perpetual 2000

When I take a test clipping, I make sure to take enough that it will last a day or two. I trim and speed dry it. Either an envelope on a cable box, or hanging near an ac/de-humidifier/heater. Whatever. Anything that will dry it overnight. Then I give it an overnight cure as well. Both need to be in the dark. The test clipping will be a little more harsh than the rest of the plant because it may or may not have been flushed, and faster dry and cure is harsher as well - but the effects will be representative. I find that if I don't allow this two-day process, then a test smoke is deceiving because of the chlorophyll.

Another way is using a vapo. I am still verifying this myself, but after 2 cycles it does indeed seem like you can pretty much clip and put it right in the vapo. That gives you a snapshot of JUST the good stuff. For me I have to make sure I haven't smoked in a few hours before the vapo, because its such a subtle thing when the effects hit I need to be able to tell. Not like a bong hit. But a half hour later the effects of both are the same. And I guess that's what I'm always looking for.

This is great info Papa. Especially the vape method. I'm going to start trying both myself. Reps if I can.

Here's some of the Utopia Haze. This is how she started:
UH_top_day_2.jpg

I hope I'm not hijacking here, but this has been on my mind recently. I have been repeatedly told by my mentor that allowing a plant to dry to a wilt like that is terribly hard on the plant. But I accidentally do that now and then when I wait too long to re-pot, and they typically seem to recover fine about 90% of the time. I have never really noticed any ill effect if they don't die.

My conjecture is that there probably is some damage done to the xylem and phloem (?) that roughens up the inside surfaces. I think that if repeated too much it could cause too much cumulative damage to the vascular system. I also suspect that even without too much repetition a bit could break free and clog something up, killing an entire branch on rare occasions. But all that is guessing.

Any opinions PG?

Again, don't mean to hijack. I can be wordy when I'm high. :tokin:

Nice outdoor plants Papa! Just thought I'd drop in and see how it's going. I had to blow up the pic in order to find where the plants were on that last pic! Very camouflaged!

This is great info Papa. Especially the vape method. I'm going to start trying both myself. Reps if I can.

I hope I'm not hijacking here, but this has been on my mind recently. I have been repeatedly told by my mentor that allowing a plant to dry to a wilt like that is terribly hard on the plant. But I accidentally do that now and then when I wait too long to re-pot, and they typically seem to recover fine about 90% of the time. I have never really noticed any ill effect if they don't die.

My conjecture is that there probably is some damage done to the xylem and phloem (?) that roughens up the inside surfaces. I think that if repeated too much it could cause too much cumulative damage to the vascular system. I also suspect that even without too much repetition a bit could break free and clog something up, killing an entire branch on rare occasions. But all that is guessing.

Any opinions PG?

Again, don't mean to hijack. I can be wordy when I'm high. :tokin:

Definitely not hijacking. I like wordy. That wasn't wordy. As far as the plants - I think you're right.

That pic was from 18 hours after clipped. Then I put a clear bag over her and she perked up and has been doing like any other clone since. I have had a few times when my moms caught me off guard with their watering. They get so big their needs can change pretty dramatically before and after I take clones. So they have dried out once or twice each. But again, they perk up within hours.

Where I see guaranteed damage if the plant dries is in the roots. If they get dry for more than a short period of time its bad news. And if rockwool cubes get dry and make your clones look like that - its usually bad news. As I'm sure you know, Rockwool will actually suck the moisture out of the plants if it gets dry.

I think it prolly depends on the plant as well. Yes I think you're probably doing damage to the xylem. As to how much each plant displays that damage and its capacity to repair or work around that damage - that's prolly affected by a bazillion things (seems everything in growing is).

Thanks guys!

Nice outdoor plants Papa! Just thought I'd drop in and see how it's going. I had to blow up the pic in order to find where the plants were on that last pic! Very camouflaged!

That Volde is getting fairly substantial. And yeah, she sits like a bush - is hard to spot. Also she is starting to throw the very first buds. So I think a early to mid-September harvest for her. The Utopia will be much later methinks.

:peacetwo:

Back to trimming...

:tokin:

Hi Papa......finally got caught up!:ganjamon:

I am in total agreement with you on when to harvest. I waited and waited last grow for 50% amber. That is my measurement for when to harvest. Judging from the results, it's the only way to do it. I don't want any less than the best potency of the plants. :ganjamon:

Papa, for your moms that you are not actively wanting to take clones from, you can slow the growth of them and save some electricity too. Staggered light cycles can allow you to reduce the light period to about 12 hours total a day. Just cannot have 12 uninterrupted dark hours.

CannaStats - Low Maintenance Mothering

McBudz uses a 6/6/6/6 cycle with good results as well. No need to have the foot firmly down on the accelerator pedal all the time in my book.

First: "...he likes them all, so is no hellp..." had me rolling! :rofl: How's the hand, btw?

Second: I really had not done much reading on them, and thanks VERY MUCH for pointing me in that direction. I'm just starting to get into it and its fascinating. I had heard a little about the research in Europe, and this fills in some major gaps.

As I understand it the THCV is a different cannabinoid that's been isolated, as well as its receptors. Its directly related to Diabetes and the Munchies. It works to inhibit the GABA in one's brain. I know GABA is an energy and feel good hormone/supplement. Also, according to Wikipedia, the THCV actually works to LIMIT the effects of THC. Its an antagonist.

THCV is also used as a marker to distinguish synthetic THC like Marinol from naturally occurring THC.

Lastly, here's a long quote from Wikipedia that may or may not be interesting:

:peace::nicethread:

Funny as I did some reading in this area too recently. The action I believe you are referring to in the article is known as "Depolarization-induced_suppression_of_inhibition" or DSI. Here is a wiki article on it.

Depolarization-induced suppression of inhibition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really helped to explain why my thinking is different under the influence... :smokin:

good camo brother its like wheres weedy? lol

Yeah, they look so happy outside.
Hi Papa......finally got caught up!:ganjamon:

I am in total agreement with you on when to harvest. I waited and waited last grow for 50% amber. That is my measurement for when to harvest. Judging from the results, it's the only way to do it. I don't want any less than the best potency of the plants. :ganjamon:

Yep. All the old school guides, and all the new ones for that matter all say the same thing. Its only in the last few years that folks have started taking pride in harvesting early. I think its because of two things: 1 - Confusion about the relationship of CBDs and THC; 2 - Commercial growers jumped on the "medical" bandwagon and corrupted it for their own profiteering.

Papa, for your moms that you are not actively wanting to take clones from, you can slow the growth of them and save some electricity too. Staggered light cycles can allow you to reduce the light period to about 12 hours total a day. Just cannot have 12 uninterrupted dark hours.

CannaStats - Low Maintenance Mothering

McBudz uses a 6/6/6/6 cycle with good results as well. No need to have the foot firmly down on the accelerator pedal all the time in my book.

That is a great tip! So good that I might actually section off a part of my room for the additional light period. Right now my moms share a space with the veg, but that might make it worth the day to section them. Damn you for taking my medicated brain in another direction.
:lot-o-toke:
Funny as I did some reading in this area too recently. The action I believe you are referring to in the article is known as "Depolarization-induced_suppression_of_inhibition" or DSI. Here is a wiki article on it.

Depolarization-induced suppression of inhibition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really helped to explain why my thinking is different under the influence... :smokin:
Very interesting. I have to be careful reading too much of this stuff at once. My brother died from doing too much Crystal Meth and all this reading hits very close to home. I definitely still want to learn about it and I certainly appreciate any further links or knowledge, but just know that sometimes I take a break because it bums me out. My bro had 1 doctor prescribe mmj 15 years ago, but he was unable to find a strain that didn't make him more paranoid. He didn't smoke much and didn't have access. I truly believe that if mmj had been legal that I could have found him one, and my brother would still be alive today.

:thanks::peace:

-----------------

Last nite's start of the harvest went well. The added branches from the JH that I had not seen proved to be fairly substantial. It never fails to amaze me when I'm harvesting a scrog, how I'll cut away a bunch of stuff, and it barely makes a dent. These screens get soooo dense its awesome. So anyways - about two ounces chopped and trimmed last night. I still haven't hit the UH or JH on the floor. I think I'll start trimming the JH on the floor tonight. The Utopia in the Scrog is still finishing. She could be cut any time, but per the discussions lately - I'm gonna leave those as long as I can.

:peace::rollit:

Getting the plants to conform to our timelines is a worthy goal like being able to put plants into a stasis. I had a clone survive just fine on tap water in perlite for two months under a 10 watt CFL that was about a foot above the clone. It hardly grew but still looked healthy. It eventually got thrips so I destroyed it.

I did this mainly as a demonstration on the adaptability of vegetative cannabis plants.

Here are some pics in my cloner thread. Wick Cloner: simple, cheap and effective

Really sorry to hear about your brother Papa.

Wow! Papa! :cheer:

Your expect us Stoner's to understand that ???? :reading420magazine:

What I got from it was, most of the experimentation with inhibitors has been canceled for one reason or another. If there are things that can actually influence: Smoking tobacco, obesity, diabetes, and other things, we should continue, however the side effects are not good.

Then there is the fact that some receptors, like alcohol are genetic and passed to our children. If you parents were alcoholics, then the children are at great risk to be alcoholics too. Cancer is the same way, its carried in the gene.

I always hoped that we could do something to control receptors, but it looks like a long fight!

Many different drugs and other stimuli will mediate or control receptors. Do you think they are inherently bad or something? They are the source of most of our experience in this universe.

Many different drugs and other stimuli will mediate or control receptors. Do you think they are inherently bad or something? They are the source of most of our experience in this universe.

Hi Munki Absolutely not:grinjoint: Prozac was one of the first that worked on receptors to help folks be normal. In fact they are being sold all the time. I would like them to find one for tobacco. It's hell for me trying to quit.
No, my friend I am all for controlling receptors. The potential for humanity using them for all sorts of things is wide open. You ever think why over weight people are over weight? Part of the answer is in the brain.

Of course we have to think before we journey in to the unknown.

The guy who in vented Prozac wanted to put it in the world's water supply.
Wanted us all to be "normal".:smokin:

Mini-Update. All is well in the room. Got another few ounces chopped last night. I figured out the best medicine for harvest boredom - nice buds. Its amazing how much more enjoyable it is to manicure propper buds than it was to do all that small stuff. Anyways - feelin good about the harvest so far, and the next batch is looking good and ready to move in to the flower room.

:tokin:

thanks again for your reply :) my new grow is started, not much happening at the moment but would be great for me if you popped by especialy with your knolege of the strain,

high guy,
drew up some plans for a vertical scrog, may need to call upon you for your knowledge....hope all is well for you....sounds great about the harvest...will try to post sometime today...L:tokin:

hey papa wanted to ask does the u haze alter the smell of the other strains if close by

thanks again for your reply :) my new grow is started, not much happening at the moment but would be great for me if you popped by especialy with your knolege of the strain,

That's no favor - that's a pleasure! Already done in fact. When I saw the Utopia Haze. Gotta love this site!

hey papa finally got through your journal ..phew thats some reading man and full of info!fantastic grow ive sure got loads of info to go off many thanks all of you guys for input on here +reps papa

Thanks, bra! Yeah - I gotta say, the folks that frequent this journal got some serious knowledge. We get around to lots of good topics. I like the convos here because they are what I would call an "advanced intermediate" if we were giving out badges. Not so kooky that you gotta have a degree, but we also presume you've already done some reading. Also, as far as I'm concerned - the worst grower still knows more about cannabis than anyone who's never grown.

high guy,
drew up some plans for a vertical scrog, may need to call upon you for your knowledge....hope all is well for you....sounds great about the harvest...will try to post sometime today...L:tokin:
I love it. I haven't checked your thread in a few days, will do so now. I'd love to compare notes. Off the top of my head I have two quick concerns that I would need to address to be happy with a vert scrog:

1 - Lights on both sides. To be any more efficient than a horz - I'd need to light both sides.

2 - Adaptability - It would need to allow me to get more plants in and out than a horz.

I'm gonna do a long comparison in the near future - maybe in the next few hours. I've been doing lots of thinking and crunching of numbers. I'll put it all together in a single post.

Basically - I continue to think in terms of a VOLUME of light rather than a PLANE. And I think I can optimize my current methods, which are really the old standards. Before I go thinking too crazy, I need to remind myself that most of these ideas have been tried. I want to learn to optimize 2 of the basic 3 methods before I move up the ladder.

hey papa wanted to ask does the u haze alter the smell of the other strains if close by

That is an awesome question! I have actually been thinking that that might be the case. I really don't understand how that could happen, or why - but I think it does!

Have you heard that elsewhere? And are there any other strains that do it? And why is it happening?

+Reps to all

:peacetwo::morenutes::hookah::tokin:

Back
Top Bottom