Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

DIY hydro veg update:

Thought I'd show you all how things are going with my DIY hydro system for my little veg space. As mentioned before, I got sick of hand watering moms and pre-mixing nutrients for the task. Although I really like how well coco coir works for a medium, it was taking up about 90% of my time with the plants, and I really needed to do something different given my health and limitations. So, I made the DIY hydro tubs that are a combo of DWC and Ebb n Grow/flood styles. Basically, DWC with periodic floods that drench the root zone in oxygen rich nutrients. The floods also serve one other important purpose, which is to recirculate the nutrients with the larger remote reservoir, below the plant sites.

How's this working? Unbelievably well so far. The biggest problem I have right now, is that they are growing so fast that I literally need to trim them every day. Honestly, this was my fear of doing the hydro veg/moms to begin with, but I still don't mind the trimming as much as the constant hand-watering, and I've got so much less time invested in the veg portion of my growing. So - huge success so far.

There are 6 plants in my DIY veg units total - 2 unique phenos of Pineapple Express (one more indica-like, one more sativa-like in appearance), 2 unique phenos of my Deadhead Ripper (clones of the plants in flower), an OG Ripper clone, and a Chocolope:
sep_25_3.jpg

For fun, I took a picture of the rootzone on one of the plant-sites. They all look about like this, and are very white and healthy overall. These are a Chocolope (front) OG Ripper (rear):
sep_26_1.jpg

I know roots aren't too exciting, but I wanted to show how well I think it's working so far. I'm very pleased.

ABSOLUTELY fantastic xlr8 !!! I'm going definitely follow your "example" !!
Btw I was wondering, can I use instead of totes, little bit higher buckets ?
So what i lose in width , I gain it in height ? I don't see a problem ..

Congratulation buddy, fantastic plants, fabulous roots... What can I say ??
Well done !!!

Thanks J. Well, who knows - a lot can change between now and the end of the month. I dream of a day where we can actually judge these things based on smell and taste, too. Kinda like the cannabis cup! I volunteer myself in advance to be a judge for this future competition...

:thanks: A1. :)

And a lot has already changed! :cheesygrinsmiley: Now you have SIX more! :cheesygrinsmiley: It really is a nug that almost looks soft and cuddly because of all the triches on it. I'd be proud to have lost to that one, lol.

DIY hydro veg update:

Thought I'd show you all how things are going with my DIY hydro system for my little veg space. As mentioned before, I got sick of hand watering moms and pre-mixing nutrients for the task. Although I really like how well coco coir works for a medium, it was taking up about 90% of my time with the plants, and I really needed to do something different given my health and limitations. So, I made the DIY hydro tubs that are a combo of DWC and Ebb n Grow/flood styles. Basically, DWC with periodic floods that drench the root zone in oxygen rich nutrients. The floods also serve one other important purpose, which is to recirculate the nutrients with the larger remote reservoir, below the plant sites.

How's this working? Unbelievably well so far. The biggest problem I have right now, is that they are growing so fast that I literally need to trim them every day. Honestly, this was my fear of doing the hydro veg/moms to begin with, but I still don't mind the trimming as much as the constant hand-watering, and I've got so much less time invested in the veg portion of my growing. So - huge success so far.

There are 6 plants in my DIY veg units total - 2 unique phenos of Pineapple Express (one more indica-like, one more sativa-like in appearance), 2 unique phenos of my Deadhead Ripper (clones of the plants in flower), an OG Ripper clone, and a Chocolope:
sep_25_3.jpg

For fun, I took a picture of the rootzone on one of the plant-sites. They all look about like this, and are very white and healthy overall. These are a Chocolope (front) OG Ripper (rear):
sep_26_1.jpg

I know roots aren't too exciting, but I wanted to show how well I think it's working so far. I'm very pleased.

Are you kidding?? Roots like that are very exciting. Bright white, strong, and beautiful. What more could you want from roots? Well done, my friend.

Hi Xlr8! Just wanted to pop in and say hello and thank you for coming to visit me!

My goodness, these are some beautiful plants! It's no wonder you are one of the idols for us new growers, not only are you brilliant at it but you are so helpful and manage to explain things so that even I can understand :bigblush:

I'm going to go back and have a good read through, and I am really excited to follow what you are doing. I remember looking at your journal before I even joined the forum when I was trying to work out whether to go soil or hydro. I'm in some amazing company here, a real honour.

Looking forward to speaking with you more, take care my dear.

:peace:

Hi Fluffy!

You are very, very kind, thank you. I'm finding new things to learn every day, but I'm really glad if I am able to pass some of that on to others. I'm no idol of any kind, but flattery will get you everywhere (and I do mean everywhere!) my dear, haha. ;)
You are a beacon of light here, and I'm sure glad to have you subbed to my journal. Thanks again for making me smile! :) :thanks:

ABSOLUTELY fantastic xlr8 !!! I'm going definitely follow your "example" !!
Btw I was wondering, can I use instead of totes, little bit higher buckets ?
So what i lose in width , I gain it in height ? I don't see a problem ..

Congratulation buddy, fantastic plants, fabulous roots... What can I say ??
Well done !!!

Absolutely you can use a little higher buckets - may even work better. Height was a concern for me, or I would have too. I would recommend as large of netpots as you can fit while still getting as many pant sites as you need. Will allow for more root growth in the medium to take better advantage of the flood part of the DWC/flood combo.

Thank you for the compliments! :thanks:

And a lot has already changed! :cheesygrinsmiley: Now you have SIX more! :cheesygrinsmiley: It really is a nug that almost looks soft and cuddly because of all the triches on it. I'd be proud to have lost to that one, lol.

Thanks buddy! :high-five:

Are you kidding?? Roots like that are very exciting. Bright white, strong, and beautiful. What more could you want from roots? Well done, my friend.

That's part of why I like you so much - you appreciate those things too. It takes a dedicated grower to want to view root pics, but I like 'em too, haha. Every bit of this plant is fascinating to me. I hate when people only want to post pics in flower, I like to see the vegging, training, topping that goes into it before it flowers. I'm a canna-geek I guess!

Thanks again! :)

OHHHHH I dunno, they look a lil weak to me lol

psh... <snaps fingers in the air> *you're weak* <wobbles head from side to side> mmmm-hmm..

Jah, well you both have little girly chicken arms. My roots are strong and can crush your little girly bones.

Ah, that's all I got. Lame, huh? ;)

everythings looking real good xlr8 that diy tub is kill and thats mad smart with the ebb and dwc. mind if i ask if you turn off your fan thats cooling the lights when lights are off?

Hi UG!

First, thanks!! :)

I put it on the same timer as my lights, so yes it goes off with the lights. I let the fan/filter that is dedicated to ventilating the rest of the tent run constantly.

BTW - You're going to have a really nice set-up with the great attention to detail you are putting into planning it all out. I like your approach. :goodjob:

Thanks buddy! :high-five:

That's part of why I like you so much - you appreciate those things too. It takes a dedicated grower to want to view root pics, but I like 'em too, haha. Every bit of this plant is fascinating to me. I hate when people only want to post pics in flower, I like to see the vegging, training, topping that goes into it before it flowers. I'm a canna-geek I guess!

Thanks again! :)

Geeks_Unite.jpg

EDIT: And, this was my 5,000th post on 420magazine.com,

You talk too much. (There's always one in the crowd, and if not I generally volunteer)

Love it! I see Alaskan1 has already ripped it for his avatar. Nice job! :high-five:

Geeks_Unite.jpg

It's just a mash-up of a few pics I had. But, yeah, I put it together right before I posted it here.

You talk too much. (There's always one in the crowd, and if not I generally volunteer)

Haha, yeah, you nailed it! Can't get me to shut up - I have an opinion on everything. ;)

Back
Top Bottom