Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

High Everyone. :welcome:

As I mentioned in my previous journal, I am not really wanting to keep a traditional journal right now, but I do want to have a place to share thoughts, experiences, and pictures related to my ongoing grow efforts.

Having said that, this probably won't be like a typical journal, in that I'm not going to follow a grow from start to finish as much as post thoughts, questions, pictures and ideas as they come up. There might be periods of time where I don't update as frequently. I will try to throw pictures up to keep it more interesting from time to time.

A little about me: I only grow for my own med needs, so my goal is to produce medicine for myself of the highest quality possible, and always seek ways to learn and improve upon what i do. Likewise, I'm passionate about helping others, and I welcome any and all questions and feedback in this thread. In fact, as mentioned this isn't a traditional journal - so in a sense it's all about questions, ideas and feedback. :)

My primary hydro system: I'm using a "bastardized" version of the Titan controls "Flo N Gro" system. Instead of buying the whole system, I bought the controller, a 6 site upgrade, and purchased/fabricated the rest of the pieces myself (pumps, reservoirs, fittings, etc.) Basically, it's similar to the CAP Ebb N Gro, but with 4 gallon square pots with square net pots inside of them. :yahoo:

Here's a link to the review I did on the Flo N Gro:

Titan Controls: Flo N Gro Review

floNgro.gif

Also, I'm experimenting with having a separate small veg space, and I have some cuttings I took when I topped the group of plants I have in the Flo N Gro.

The nutrients I use primarily are the 3-part nutrients from sponsor Blue Planet Nutrients. I encourage anyone on the fence about which nutrients to try to give them a shot. You can't beat the quality, value and service. :morenutes:

Blue Planet Nutrients (3 part formula):
blueplanet.jpg

I'm use a tent for flowering, which is contained in it's own grow room.
Grow Lab GL80L -- about 3' x 5':
gl80l.jpg

For lighting, once seedlings have matured to veg stage and beyond, I run(2) 400w lights (MH for vegging, HPS for flowering). About 53 watts per sq ft, which should be pretty adequate. They are Hydrofarm hoods, and I am using digital ballasts to drive them: (1) Galaxy, and (1) Lumatek (which is adjustable down to 250w which might be nice for early veg...)

In my small veg space I have a 2' 4 bulb T5HO. Currently this is being used for the cuttings I took.

At the moment, I have 6 plants in the tent. Most are regular seeds, and I will not be flowering them all. They are:

(2) Jack the Ripper TGA Subcool
(2) Pandora's Box TGA Subcool
(1) Deadhead OG Cali Connection
(1) OG Kush Reserva Privada

Additionally, I have a Super Lemon Haze in a "Smart Pot" with Coco Coir.

I topped the plants in the tent about 8 days ago, and have the cuttings under the T5 to see if I can get them to root. I used Rapid Rooters, Clonex solution and Root Tech gel. Some of them were pretty small, but it looks like at least 4 of the 6 should make it barring something odd happening.

:thanks: for checking out my journal, that's not a "journal"!

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

First in!

Some photos of the current generation, now in the tent:

January 18th:
feb_1_1.jpg

January 28th:
feb_1_2.jpg

February 1st:
feb_1_5.jpg

feb_1_6.jpg

Jack The Ripper, February 1st:
feb_1_3.jpg

February 3rd:
feb_4_3.jpg

February 16th:
february_16_3.jpg

february_16_1.jpg

Deadhead OG, February 16th:
february_16_2.jpg

If you look close on the pictures from today, you can see that they've been topped (UBT topping), and the 4 resulting tops are being tied down to bush them out. Right now they are low and spread. I will flower them soon. They were topped about 8-9 days ago.

Can wait for the great info that will flo thru this non journal. Ladies lookin nice X keep up the great work!

Here is the Super Lemon Haze I have in a Smart Pot. The medium, is coco coir (there is a layer of hydroton on the top and the bottom of the pot, but in between is straight coir. I decided not to cut it with perlite or anything else, as I felt the combination of coir and smartpot would provide plenty of oxygen to the root zone. Don't know for sure, as this is all new to me (coco coir). It's fun having something different to play with:

Super Lemon Haze - Coco coir Smartpot:
february_16_4.jpg

Uncle Ben's Topping (UBT) - A technique popularized by a grower who goes by "Uncle Ben".

From Uncle Ben:

Selecting the point for topping to get 4 main colas -

To get 4 main colas, let your seedling or cutting (clone) grow to about 5-6 nodes and pinch out (cut) the stem just above the 2nd true node. The node where the cotyledons attach doesn't count. The result will be a redistribution of the auxins and other hormones that normally collect in the tissue of the terminal leader's tip.

These ho moans will be redistributed to dormant buds that reside in the nodal axis where the leaf petiole attaches to the "trunk", below the cut. The new foliar output response will be quick (within 24 hrs or so) if you have a healthy growing seedling and will be your future main colas - 4 instead of the usual 1:

The photo below is NOT from Uncle Ben or part of his tutorial -- it's my "Lucy" seedling from my previous grow, soon after it was topped with this method:
Xlr8's "Lucy", after UBT (Uncle Ben's Topping):

grow_sep_12_2.jpg

Xlr8's "Skywalker" after UBT:
grow_sep_12_5.jpg

"Lucy" at about 3-4 weeks bloom, I think? Notice the multiple tops/colas (this one was actually UBT'd and topped once more - there were about 8 colas/tops:
oct_30_3.jpg

"Skywalker" also about 3-4 weeks bloom - there were a total of (4) tops like thsese (2):
Nov_2_4.jpg

So does anyone have any good suggestions on threads to look at for pruning and what is UBT?

Alaskan1, do you mean root pruning, or defoliating? I assume you mean pruning branches/defoliating to get more light to the budsites?

Alaskan1, do you mean root pruning, or defoliating? I assume you mean pruning branches/defoliating to get more light to the budsites?

Both actually, I have HUGE root balls in my dwc buckets right now

I know how to cut the roots to my mother plants so they don't get root bound. You Tube is a wunnerful thing ;)

plants look great. i'll stick around to see how the drip system works out. wasn't sure how big plants could get in such small systems. what are they 1 gallon each ?

Blue Planet Nutrients said:
I'll be your huckleberry :)

Sweet, glad to have ya brotha!

TokerJoker said:
Can wait for the great info that will flo thru this non journal. Ladies lookin nice X keep up the great work!

:thanks: TJ!

Mr. Krip said:

:) :) Awesome!
OldMedMan said:
Off to a good start! I'm in. This is a relaxed journal...exactly as it should be.:goodjob:

Thanks OMM - and you're here too, exactly how I want it to be. :thumb:

missbud said:
I think this a great plan X!:circle-of-love::adore:

Hope you don't mind me in the audience =):Namaste:

Mind? I'm thrilled to have you here again.
:circle-of-love:

Siscokid said:
Yeah Boiiii! I'll be a watching and a salivating :drool:

Speaking of salivating, some drool-worthy pics on your thread lately. :yummy:

Quixilvir said:

Quix, you rock! :high-five:

HomeMedGrower said:
Subbed, that Deadhead sounds soooooooo good can't wait to see how you do with it.

Thanks HMG - I agree, it's one I'm especially interested in. It just placed 2nd in Cannabis cup, too - (hybrid division I think?) . Really glad to have you along! :)

GodsTrichome said:
Subbed, Rated, +REP'd, and :popcorn:

Awww, thanks GT! Your Sugar Cane buds always look so yummy. Hope the baby, momma, and of course daddy, are all doing well! So glad to have you here my friend, thanks for the rep and the rating -- I'll try to earn it! :)

Back
Top Bottom