1st Grow - Indoor Northern Lights Auto

hi....nice work...i would like to say that autos do say from seed x days but it is not everytime correct...sometimes u need acoupleof weeks more...it is better to see with eye when is ready or if u have a the thing u can see the trichomes..but it is not correct what the seeds banks said.usually need a bit more time...by the way nice plant...many tops ihope u will havea nice harvest

Hi, thanks for checking out my grow! :)

I'm not really afraid of giving her a couple or weeks more after what the seed back said. I'm just afraid of running out of space for her xD Looking back, I really didn't know what I was getting myself into xD

I hope I have a nice harvest too! I had never seen a plant in my life, and I really don't know what to expect xD With what I've invested on the plant I would really like to get 10-15 grams, but again, I don't know what's going to happen xD

What I know is that for the second grow I'm going to be much more prepared! And I will only do the second grow when I have more space because I want to do SCROG! But it's still early, I think this one still needs a month minimum, maybe a month and a half to be harvested, the buds will be cured just in time for Christmas I guess ^^

Wow she turned out to be a beast! Keep going on the LST, it's looking nice and flat up on top. That's going to help give allll the bud sites equal light, which will help improve your yield dramatically.

I haven't done a scrog yet, and I don't have plans for one in the near future. I plan to just grow and train like before, since it worked out well for my last grow.

Just keep on rocking, and keep growing it green! You'll be pretty happy when the harvest and drying is done. Do you have a magnifier for examining trichomes yet? And do you have a small scale for weighing your harvest? (Scale is totally optional and not required. A lot of people just like to see how much they grew)

Wow she turned out to be a beast! Keep going on the LST, it's looking nice and flat up on top. That's going to help give allll the bud sites equal light, which will help improve your yield dramatically.

I haven't done a scrog yet, and I don't have plans for one in the near future. I plan to just grow and train like before, since it worked out well for my last grow.

Just keep on rocking, and keep growing it green! You'll be pretty happy when the harvest and drying is done. Do you have a magnifier for examining trichomes yet? And do you have a small scale for weighing your harvest? (Scale is totally optional and not required. A lot of people just like to see how much they grew)

Scrog I want to do but I don't know yet xD Thanks for the encouragement, I was really unsure about how she's doing. I guess for a first attempt at growing anything at all I'm doing a pretty good job ^^ Also with no PH monitor, no humidity or temperature monitors too, just eyeballing everything xD

Some new couple photos:

WP_0002821.jpg
WP_0002911.jpg

Do you have a magnifier for examining trichomes yet? And do you have a small scale for weighing your harvest? (Scale is totally optional and not required. A lot of people just like to see how much they grew)

I don't have a magnifier to examine the trichomes, is that 100% necessary?

And I do have a precision scale I bought back when I ordered the seed xD It has a 0.1g resolution and goes up to 500 grams, has a tare function and everything, it's pretty cool and was 7 USD xD

Here's a few photos, I did some LST because there were two branches that were waaay too high :/ Only of them I had to completly bend it like it's in the picture, do you think that's okay? The branch didn't seem too stiff after I put the LST so I think the branch itself wont break or anything. I bent it toward the inner space, there isn't any big budsite on that part of the canopy and I switched some around to make space for that branch, now the canopy is much flatter and the lights can now be set lower and hit more of the buds and penetrate better, but it's still pretty cramped in there.

The branch has a lot of bud sites and I was just afraid that it wouldn't get much life because it was above the lights and to put the lights better for that branch the rest wouldn't get much light. What do you think how that branch is right now?

WP_0002921.jpg
WP_0002941.jpg
WP_0002931.jpg
WP_0002951.jpg

What do you think?

looks great to me... then again, I'm about as new to all this stuff as you are. as far as I can tell, if it's not changing funny shapes or colors then go with it. One thing I've seen around here and with my limited first-hand experience is that cannabis is an EXTREMELY resilient plant that can take a beating more severe than we all would feel comfortable giving... and there isn't TOO much damage that, if inflicted, it wouldn't bounce back from.

so for now, I say go with it. if nothing else and you decide to grow again after this plant is done, perhaps get yourself a few extra lights (or change the type of light) to provide better coverage.

looks great to me... then again, I'm about as new to all this stuff as you are. as far as I can tell, if it's not changing funny shapes or colors then go with it. One thing I've seen around here and with my limited first-hand experience is that cannabis is an EXTREMELY resilient plant that can take a beating more severe than we all would feel comfortable giving... and there isn't TOO much damage that, if inflicted, it wouldn't bounce back from.

so for now, I say go with it. if nothing else and you decide to grow again after this plant is done, perhaps get yourself a few extra lights (or change the type of light) to provide better coverage.

Day 48

Yes, I find cannabis to be very sensible in some ways and super resilient in others, it's a plant filled with personality :)

I just watered her and fed nutes. She has been sucking up water like a champ. Maybe the I should have fed a little bit less nutes but I'll see how she reacts, as longs as there's no nute burn I would think it's fine.

Here's more photos, just because:

WP_0002961.jpg
WP_0002971.jpg
WP_0002982.jpg
WP_0002991.jpg
WP_0003001.jpg
WP_0003021.jpg
WP_0003031.jpg

This is probably going to be the growth journal with the most pictures ever by this rate but here we go.

So this is what happened, just after about 15 hours after I bent the branch it looks like this:

WP_000307.jpg

The bud sites are going towards the top, the light, which is what I wanted, and the better the end of the branch that is going to have the biggest bud has already turned towards the light too!

There's lots of bud sites on the plant, I've taken some little ones, and the ones that are small and haven't showed any growth, the top of the plant looks okay but I really want to get the plant to focus more on less buds, there's two or three main branches that have the best growth and them and their smaller branches are taller than the rest, I have no space to give her, which is really frustrating x.x I know she's turning into a beast of a plant and she could do more and because I don't have more wood or anything really to isolate her because of the cats I can't get the super flat canopy I want :(

Okay, another hour of LSTing spend around the plant. I also cut some little branches and two not so little but stagnated ones, they didn't have much light, getting to them, they weren't growing and I needed the space to put other ones there, but these other ones were higher so they're on top of the leaves that were covering the others.

WP_000312.jpg

This was all so I could manipulate other branches to get more energy from the plant and more light.

WP_000310.jpg

She looks better I think. Also the hight difference isn't as big:

WP_0003131.jpg
WP_000314.jpg

Mostly because I took this branch and did the same as I did with the other one and bent it, one of the sacrificed branches was under the zone that this one now goes into:

WP_000317.jpg
WP_000318.jpg

A pic of how the other one is and how I hope this one gets:

WP_0003191.jpg

And some other photos of how she is inside now:

WP_0003161.jpg

WP_000315.jpg

So that's it, I don't think I'll be doing any more LSTs for the rest of this grow, maybe just adjust the ones that are now. Dear lord this was so much work, and she's so bushy now it's hard to work, but knowing the plant and how she grew definitely makes it much easier! I can't imagine myself growing 2 plants or even more soon, even after this one is done I'll take a little break and plan everything for the next one much better!

Can't wait to get to the harvest! I hope all the buds I'm turning into the main bud sites give me a good harvest! I will definitely not take out anything more from this plant and she'll have to do with the side space she has, though I'll be raising the roof of the enclosure.

What do you guys think? Also sorry if this is too many photos, but I think I rather have more than few ^^

EDIT: I missed the contest for plant of the month, didn't remember about it x.x

Yay! It worked!

Before
WP_000318.jpg

After
WP_0003201.jpg

And now for bud sites photooooooooos (there are more but are too little and almost don't have pistils, and this is all after I took all of those that I took away yesterday! I might need to take out one or two branches, I have a couple places that I basically put two to see if they would both grow or one grow and the other just not grow and I'll take away the one that doesn't grow, this is all to optimize the harvest in the limited space that I have, I think I'm doing an adequate job, and can you imagine if I have loooots of side space to lst her even more? and have even more big tops? I would harvest so much o.o and I'm not giving her any of the fancy flowering nutes, it's just a basic two part one! Post with info about the nutes):

WP_0003301.jpg
WP_000332.jpg
WP_000335.jpg
WP_000338.jpg
WP_000339.jpg
WP_000341.jpg
WP_000343.jpg
WP_000342.jpg
WP_000344.jpg
WP_000345.jpg
WP_000346.jpg
WP_000347.jpg
WP_000348.jpg

EDIT: I really like how the transparent plastic bags I'm cutting to do the LSTs are really transparent and let a lot of light through. I can have really fat stripes of it so it's better for the plant and not cut the light penetration.

Okay, I know I said I wouldn't take anything more but the space couldn't support all the branches so I thought about it and here's what I cut today:

WP_000352.jpg

This was to make space for this branch which I bent just like the others:

WP_000353.jpg

The main issue to me is that the middle wasn't getting much benefit from the lights, so this branch I bent to the middle, cut some little branches that weren't probably going to produce much anyway and now I have a much better cannopy than before! All this LSTing and stuff, I feel like it can be a work of art, how we manipulate the branches, the ones we cut etc, it's like sculpting the best canopy we can.

Here's photos:

WP_000356.jpg

This is one branch that just grew like that because he was touching the wall of the enclosure.

WP_0003551.jpg

This is the branch that I LSTed today to the middle where there were only 2 little branches I hoped that grew but they didn't grow anything for two days so I cut them.

The LST maze :p
WP_0003611.jpg
WP_0003621.jpg

1 year old cat for scale xD
WP_000364.jpg

Thickness of the main stem:
WP_0003601.jpg

And finally the canopy shots:
WP_000357.jpg
WP_000358.jpg

I think she's looking pretty good given all the conditions! Let me remind you (for anyone that hasn't read all the posts) that I have no way of measuring air or soil humidity, CO2, temperature, any PH at all and I use only a basic two part nutrient which you can find on the post before this one, which by the way is for coco coir, and I've basically had to guess how much to cut from the recommended dose because I'm growing on pre-fertilized soil (no time releasing anything) and because this is my first time attempting to even grow a plant of any kind I think it's really lucky that I haven't burned her with nutes xD It's been a wild ride and now after all this work today, I think that this is finally the time to just kick back and watch her build the buds and hope for the best for the harvest. That and feed her like 2 times, I'll stop feeding nutes 2 weeks before the harvest or something like that.

Thank you so much Anctics for sticking around and dear lord when you catch up with this subbed thread you're going to see so many photos ahahah xD Hope you like how she's turning out and what I've been doing to her, hope I've been a good girl ^^

Thank you all until now. I will not post more pictures for 3 days! It's too many already! Ahaha :)

I know... I know I said no more photos, but one branch was growing too tall and the fan was touching it, I rearranged the branches yet a little bit more to accommodate the bending of this one too:

WP_000369.jpg

An update on how the third bent branch is:
WP_000370.jpg

He responded well like the other two :)

And this is how the canopy is, have a photo

390173d4-61ff-448c-ad04-c3e18ce5a859.jpg

And a WebM, something that isn't supported on the site but I guarantee that it's just the plant :) mediacru.sh

Every day that passes the more I'm proud of her :circle-of-love: :yummy:

She looks good, but I wouldn't defol much more.. if at all. You want the plant to focus all of its energy into producing buds now, and not have to use energy and time to heal. If any leaves get in the way now, tuck them out of the way as much as you can.

Your first grow is going a lot better than mine. I don't see any deficiencies, no problems, no bugs, etc.. Your canopy looks great, nice and even. Just keep going with everything, this should be a nice harvest for you.

You can also take your best picture from this grow, and enter it into next months contest also. And same for nugs, if you have a really nice nug that you want to enter, take pics, and you can enter it when the next contest opens. :)

She looks good, but I wouldn't defol much more.. if at all. You want the plant to focus all of its energy into producing buds now, and not have to use energy and time to heal. If any leaves get in the way now, tuck them out of the way as much as you can.

Your first grow is going a lot better than mine. I don't see any deficiencies, no problems, no bugs, etc.. Your canopy looks great, nice and even. Just keep going with everything, this should be a nice harvest for you.

You can also take your best picture from this grow, and enter it into next months contest also. And same for nugs, if you have a really nice nug that you want to enter, take pics, and you can enter it when the next contest opens. :)

I haven't defol any more, I want her to focus on the buds :) Day 55, so we're almost starting the 8th week, I think she'll have another 3 weeks still.

I watered her today, I upped the dosage a tiny bit, or not at all I didn't really did the math but it's about the same or just a tiny but more.

This appeared today, I went to check if she needed watering right after, it's magnesium deficiency, I'm pretty sure, but it only appeared on those leaves and because I'm not giving her any cal-mag and I forgot to count the days and it's day 7 since I've last watered her x.x The soil didn't look as dry, because the canopy is becoming so thick now the air from the fan isn't hitting the soil anymore which didn't make me go "that looks like 5 days have passed" and I forgot :( so I think that was probably it, but she didn't show any signs of under-watering, though with many of the leaves tucked in somewhere it's harder to see. I put some boxes on the bottom of the enclosure to raise it, and it's a pain to lift the enclosure (minding that the fan is strapped to it) and then checking everything but I'll be more careful now ^^

WP_000379.jpg

As you can see on the foreground, but a bit blurry is a bud, that how most are but there's a couple that are more developed, but I didn't take pictures. I'll take lots in a few days when they're starting to get full. I should probably start thinking about backbuilding but I don't want to cut too soon.

Wow just read through the whole thing lol, and im super impressed.. For an auto that is a BIG plant.. and looks very healthy too so your obviously doing something right. I was going to post saying what i have been told a few times from auto growers which is not to top or cut any branches of as it will slow the plant down a fair bit. but doesnt seem to have harmed yours so fair play to ya.

But im only a newbie to auto's personally, im subbing up for the ride though! interested to see how much you can pull out of this beast. Props from the UK

:bravo:

Wow just read through the whole thing lol, and im super impressed.. For an auto that is a BIG plant.. and looks very healthy too so your obviously doing something right. I was going to post saying what i have been told a few times from auto growers which is not to top or cut any branches of as it will slow the plant down a fair bit. but doesnt seem to have harmed yours so fair play to ya.

But im only a newbie to auto's personally, im subbing up for the ride though! interested to see how much you can pull out of this beast. Props from the UK

:bravo:

Welcome to my journal :)

Thanks for all the nice things you said, really makes me feel better about how I've been raising her. And as this is mt first time ever planting any plant at all I'll take as much praise as I can get and turn it into motivation to do more and to do better.

Back
Top Bottom