1st Time Grow White Widow & Seedmakers Autoblue

You'll get the best answer if you email Nexgen and ask them. I used to do that before I got a timer and it worked fine, but I can't say it's safe for the ballast and bulb, I just figured that's what a timer does anyway, cut off power lol.. But email your manufacturer and ask them for a safe answer.

hi everyone, with the autos its best to start these in the pots you want to finish them in, this limits any transplant shock which can slow growth for up to a week or 2, so its best to start autos in bigger pots, how ever i have not suffered any transplant shock when i have transplanted from smaller seed trays, i find starting seeds in bigger pots causes its own problems, its difficult to judge how much water they need, plus it can dry out quicker and it can stay moist longer, so over watering is really easy and under watering is also really easy to do, both of these stunt growth, so i start my seeds off in small seed trays and i always start my plants under cfls, then after 2 weeks i put them under the dual spec hps,

the only plants that start under the hps is the 12-12 from seed, but i soon found that the seedlings need to be further away from the light to prevent the light been to much for the seedlings, but i know from my own experience that cfls keep stretch to a minimum and even thought i got a dual spec hps i still start all my plants under cfls,

2012-11-15_15_57_39.jpg

The auto's are completely flexible. I do 18/6 but 12/12 will work fine. Gets em a bit jumpy but you'll get nice bud. You can also do work with the lights off. Auto's could care less if you get light on them during dark periods. This makes it easier to mix them in with regulars.

have you grown the same auto strain under multiple lighting schedules, i.e the 18/6 and the 12/12. did you get any quantifyable response?

have you grown the same auto strain under multiple lighting schedules, i.e the 18/6 and the 12/12. did you get any quantifyable response?

Good question but no. I have been growing to find a high yielding auto without experimenting too much. The research is out there for autos. So I follow the research and grow what is proven. One day i would love to have the time and space for further experimenting. Breeding is what I really want to learn next.

18/6 seems to be the most accepted times for auto's. Swings either way are more for compromise or research. 18/6 is all I have done so far. I was going to alter the schedule to 12/12 so a regular could be mixed in but that did not work out. My recent grow had a fairly consistent light schedule. There were times when I deviated but very little. I do like the ability to introduce light for whatever reason with ill effect. Unless it effects yield as I have not tried another 100%. Light surely has not caused them to hermie or stress out and I am on my 6 auto now. ISmokes and I both are growing Trans Siberian autos. I think his time schedule may be different. Cant remember. I am harvesting mine in the next few days or so.

nice. once i get my new strain as stable as i can, ill be experimenting with the light schedule, im looking for 2 answers, if i can aquire the answers for 1 strain the info may work on others/all.
first is maximum yield and the other is optimum gram per watt, optimum being defined as best weight per £ spent on electric.

i love that autos are pretty much hermie immune. i wonder if they can still hermie with silver.

It's funny because the probability of it being my fault is much higher. I mean, 3 out of 7 plants I ever grew were hermies lol. It seems highly unlikely that it was genetics. All metaphorical fingers are pointing at me but I can't think of anything I did to "stress" them. I just blamed on unpopular autoflowering strains being rather unstable because they're just a first cross or something...

Yeh it works just fine soysawce, it's just a little better to start them on CFLs because they can be close to the plant. The plant will still stretch even if you use CFLs if they're far.
HPS on a close distance is too intense for seedlings so it has to be far = Stretching
CFLs are great light for seedling but if they're far seedling will still stretch.

See what I mean? The advantage of CFL's is that they can be really close to avoid stretching. If you don't place them close enough then you're loosing this advantage and might as well just keep them under the HPS and live with the little extra stretch :)

Back
Top Bottom