300w LED - Sunset Kush

re: 420 Consumer Reports - GrowLEDHydro Spectra 300w LED / Lowryder II by Setting Sun

I've been top-watering and bottom watering. The access hole at the bottom gives me lots of flexibility.

I can mix up something and deliver it right to the root zone through that hole with a syringe, turkey baster, etc.

I had planned to do the whole grow with just the OC+, but the seedlings were looking a little ragged, so I added the liquid fert.

In retrospect, I think they were looking a little ragged because the roots hadn't hit the res yet, so when I transplant, I'm going to try to stick to just the OC+ and discontinue all other nutes and supplements.

I'm thinking of splitting the OC charge so that 1/2 gets sprinkled about an inch above the damn hole, and the other half about 2" below the surface and localized in one spot that I will mark on the bucket so I can water over that spot.

Regular hempy buckets can be bottom-watered easily if you use a large syringe or just stick the sprayer nozzle right into the damn hole. Straight shot into the root zone.

Since the res on these little 6" pots is so small, the plants uptake what I give them really quickly. It only takes a few minutes to see how they react to different things.

Their favorite cocktail has been a shot of Maxicrop kelp extract.

After the transplant into the regular Hempy buckets, however, I'm really going to try to stick with just the OC+ and see how things go. That was the original plan.

These little 6" self-watering pots are great for germination through 2-3 weeks of veg. They take up twice as much space as cups, but I think they give the plants a better start. My two NL/WW/VK plants in the cups don't seem to be growing as fast, but it's a different strain, so hard to compare.

I'll try to put up some more pics after the transplant.

thanks doc!

It's gonna be a great grow! Hempy non-technology is so dang fun.....wild, crazy growth with little to no effort, and almost no expense.

Are you using tap water? If not, be on the lookout for calcium deficiencies.

Also, I had one plant that had a zinc deficiency....it was just one plant and the problem was easily corrected with an iron/zinc supplement (liquinox).

I'm more excited about watching your grow than harvesting mine....I've come to realize that my favorite part about cannabis is growing it. Smoking is fine and all, but when I was away for a week, I could care less about smoking....I missed my plants, not my stash.

Growing pot is addictive!

re: 420 Consumer Reports - GrowLEDHydro Spectra 300w LED / Lowryder II by Setting Sun

I just finished reading the OC+ thread. and I am looking forward to joning you on your Journey. I Like everything about this grow... LED.. Hempy.. Perlite.. OC+.. .. I hope you dont mind if I stop lurking and join in?

It's gonna be a great grow! Hempy non-technology is so dang fun.....wild, crazy growth with little to no effort, and almost no expense.

Are you using tap water? If not, be on the lookout for calcium deficiencies.

Also, I had one plant that had a zinc deficiency....it was just one plant and the problem was easily corrected with an iron/zinc supplement (liquinox).

I'm more excited about watching your grow than harvesting mine....I've come to realize that my favorite part about cannabis is growing it. Smoking is fine and all, but when I was away for a week, I could care less about smoking....I missed my plants, not my stash.

Growing pot is addictive!

I really like passive hydro.

It's simple, yet lends itself to lots of experimentation if you like to do that sort of thing, which I do.

I've tried both R/O and tap water, and the plants seem to do better with tap water, so that's another huge plus for hempy. I get more stable PH with tap also.

I read about your zinc deficiency in your journal and picked up a bottle of Liquinox shortly thereafter, so I'm ready if that happens.

I feel the same way about growing. I guess that's why we're here ;).

I just finished reading the OC+ thread. and I am looking forward to joning you on your Journey. I Like everything about this grow... LED.. Hempy.. Perlite.. OC+.. .. I hope you dont mind if I stop lurking and join in?

I'm liking everything about this grow too!

thanks for de-lurking and :welcome:

Wow i am glad i found this thread, i wouldnt want to miss this one. the girls are looking nice and good, they seem to be happy. lots of cool things going on in this thread. leds, OC+, hempy you name it. are you going to use OC+ on ur side by side?

Good luck brother
:popcorn:

I was just gonna shoot you a PM, glad you made it!

The plants are doing great. I couldn't be happier with them. Well, maybe if they grew 10' colas over the next 24 hours I might be happier, but they're doing great ;).

If the OC+ works well in this grow, I will certainly consider using it on the side-by-side grow.

thanks Irish!

I haven't transplanted yet because I want the perlite to dry out one more day before I slide out the root balls. Tomorrow looks good.

Here's some pics I took earlier today. The growth from day to day is just amazing.

P1000234.JPG

P1000241.JPG

P10002421.JPG

P10002401.JPG

P10002431.JPG

P1000237.JPG

P1000255.JPG

P10002571.JPG

I've decided to transplant into these much larger self-watering pots. These are 3-gallon and the res is about the same volume as the res in a 10-liter bucket except that the res in the pot probably holds a bit more liquid.

I really like these pots. I can use a 60cc syringe to suck up and recirculate the nutes, which isn't at all necessary, but the plants like it and I like it too cause it's fun ;). I can oxygenate the res easily too with the same syringe by drawing up a couple of syringe-fulls and then shooting it back in.

I'm tellin' ya, there is just no end to the fun you can have with these pots, lol.

I think the LR2's are going to like them.

those are sweet pots bro! i like those allot. it will also come in handy for checking the PH run off. where did you get those if you dont mind me asking? everything the same as a 3gal bucket like mine? and the res is the same as the whole being 2"?

its just crazy how good the girls look after a short time. i think the veg on these leds is going to blow ur mind, i dose mine. i cant even explain on good it veggs my plants. the stretch seems to be very little on these lights also when u hit 12/12, at least with my strain. its been 11 days and only a few inches of stretch so far, they just stack nodes. it looks like a hearty Indica you have so i am guesstimate things are going to be very tight on those nodes:morenutes:

The company that makes them is "Mainstays", and I get them at Wal-Mart, but they are a seasonal item, so not always in stock.

If you google for Mainstays self-watering planter, you should be able to find online sources if you can't find them at WallyWorld. They are also made by Misco, so a search for Misco self-watering should turn up some sources.

Here's one online source. Sometimes they are only advertised in sets of three and they are all different sizes, so this is a good source for just the larger size.

Shopko Optical Eye Care and Vision Centers

I eyeballed them side-by-side with a 10-liter bucket and the res on the pots is smaller in volume, but I'm hoping some of that will be offset because the pots do have an actual reservoir that holds liquid as opposed to the medium-filled res on the hempy buckets.

I will measure how far the fill hole is from the bottom and report back.

In any case, we're going to find out how well they work with the LR2's. If they need to be watered too frequently, I can fix that very easily by placing the pot inside a tray with additional nute solution.

I'm definitely going to transplant into the larger pots tonight and will take some pics.

Not sure how familiar you are with auto-flowering strains, but LR2 is a very compact short auto that flowers without regard to light schedule. I've had them at 18/6 and will keep them on that schedule. They should start flowering any day now.

There are a couple of newer auto strains that get pretty big, but most auto strains are designed for stealth grows and small spaces. LR2 usually stays under 24" and 2oz would be an exceptional yield from one of these cute little ladies.

I'll post some more pics tonight after I transplant, so you can get a better idea of what the larger pots look like with a plant in them.

hope all is well with you brother ;)

The company that makes them is "Mainstays", and I get them at Wal-Mart, but they are a seasonal item, so not always in stock.

If you google for Mainstays self-watering planter, you should be able to find online sources if you can't find them at WallyWorld. They are also made by Misco, so a search for Misco self-watering should turn up some sources.

Here's one online source. Sometimes they are only advertised in sets of three and they are all different sizes, so this is a good source for just the larger size.

Shopko Optical Eye Care and Vision Centers

I eyeballed them side-by-side with a 10-liter bucket and the res on the pots is smaller in volume, but I'm hoping some of that will be offset because the pots do have an actual reservoir that holds liquid as opposed to the medium-filled res on the hempy buckets.

I will measure how far the fill hole is from the bottom and report back.

In any case, we're going to find out how well they work with the LR2's. If they need to be watered too frequently, I can fix that very easily by placing the pot inside a tray with additional nute solution.

I'm definitely going to transplant into the larger pots tonight and will take some pics.

Not sure how familiar you are with auto-flowering strains, but LR2 is a very compact short auto that flowers without regard to light schedule. I've had them at 18/6 and will keep them on that schedule. They should start flowering any day now.

There are a couple of newer auto strains that get pretty big, but most auto strains are designed for stealth grows and small spaces. LR2 usually stays under 24" and 2oz would be an exceptional yield from one of these cute little ladies.

I'll post some more pics tonight after I transplant, so you can get a better idea of what the larger pots look like with a plant in them.

hope all is well with you brother ;)

well u did ur homework thats for sure! I makes perfect sense that since their no medium just liquid it might be the same or better as a hempy res. i am going to keep and close eyes on these pots for sure. plus like you said you can always throw them in a bigger tray if you need to leave town for a few extra days or what not. i am just wondering how the roots are going to react once it hits that res? the cool thing is you can also see ur roots now and see whats going on.

Ive never grown auto's, that will be another fun thing to watch. as always ur bringing great stuff to the table.:blunt:

well u did ur homework thats for sure! I makes perfect sense that since their no medium just liquid it might be the same or better as a hempy res. i am going to keep and close eyes on these pots for sure. plus like you said you can always throw them in a bigger tray if you need to leave town for a few extra days or what not. i am just wondering how the roots are going to react once it hits that res? the cool thing is you can also see ur roots now and see whats going on.

Ive never grown auto's, that will be another fun thing to watch. as always ur bringing great stuff to the table.:blunt:

Thanks Irish ;)

I wondered the same thing, but the roots don't penetrate down through those slots for some reason. The res stays free of roots. I'll take a pic of one of the root balls tonight when I transplant and you'll see what I'm talkin' about.

LR2 gets mixed reviews. I want to see for myself.

I'll tell you something though, they're fun to grow. It's nice to just grow plants out once in a while without having to LST or top them.

This is a powerful LED light and penetrates very well in my 32 x 32" tent.

The plants at the periphery are not leaning in at all, and that's the best intensity/coverage meter I know of.

At about the middle of my last grow, after having gained some experience with a couple of lower-powered LED panels, I began to suspect that a good LED light with plus/minus 300w and a 90-degree angle would be a very good match for my DR-80 tents, and I'm starting to think my suspicion was right.

I'm really looking forward to the LED/HID grow! :slide:

So Mikes 600w 3w/chip LED unit pulls 740 "actual watts" and this other 600w 3w/chip LED unit pulls 325 "actual watts" That would explain the $1,000 difference..

Custom Spectrum should post "actual power draw" of their units

Irishboy:

I just moved and am about to throw 2 sensi star and an island sweet skunk in flower. I will post pics...

My profile has a pic of my plants in veg at this moment...

As for the watts issue I had the same questions when I got my light and tested it. I guess with LEDs you have to look at multiple things to make sure you dont get burned.
Example: Say you have two 600w leds. one with 576 1w led and one with 200 3w leds. If you gave the actual wattage the 576 would pull a little more than the 200, so it would apear more powerful; but as anyone who has used these know the 200 3w chip blows the 576 1w chip away.

Make sense...?

Stevehman:

It looks to me like youre hating on the lights I spent a lot of time researching and hard earned money buying.

I bought my first light off ebay from this company before it was even a company. I tested it and had questions that I mentiontd above. This company bent over backwards to find me answers and as a result found a way to make or sell or whatever some of the most powerful and afordable LED lights out there. In fact I just clicked on the link at the bottom of the page for growledhydrow.com and saw the same 600w light that CustomSpectrum.com has but it costs a thousand dollars more at growledhydro.com!

As for this only being my first post I just became a licensed caregiver in CO and have decided to share my grow and my passion for LED technology.

You seem like a smart guy but your secret laurence livermore testing makes you seem a little kooky...

What degree are the lenses on these lights? Also yeah, the wattage thing is kooky. What's the point of 3w LED's if they're outputting much < 3W? I'd be super-pissed if I paid for a 600W and then find out it's only a 325W. That's false advertising. LOL.

dogsnova,Theres at least 3 guys on this forum talking/selling these LEDs I sure wish they'd get together cause someones full of shit ! They can't ALL be the best or the most powerfull ! :peace:

I'm deff with you Ol Hippy but at least we've seen mikes light in action from Irish..

LEDGrower11,
Just confused how a 600w light only draws 325w. How many watts do the cooling fans draw? Are these running on some high-tech super-conductor that has negative resistance? I'm not hating on your light purchase, but your willingness to hawk the product to other members on the forum without quantifiable evidence to the fact that they are the "greatest light ever".

I have also done research and talked with several companies (and ignored all of their claims) and purchased a light with all 3watt LEDs, 11 wavelengths etc... But, I won't say where or who I purchased it from until I have proof that it performs. That is why I am reviewing grow journals and taking notes and comparing results.

So far, all of the LED grows that I am following have been unbiased about their opinion concerning the lights until they have quantifiable results. There are some pretty talented growers here and if the company that you are promoting is willing to pay for sponsorship and provide Irishboy or Pitviper or one of the other growers a light to test I would be very interested in the results. And, if it performed to the hype, I would gladly purchase a few myself.

As it stands, I am skeptical of anyone that comes in with claims of greatness without having the data to back it up. The company that you are recommending has been in business less than 3 months (according to GoDaddy) and appears to be another drop-shipper of Chinese panels.

I am anxiously waiting for the "Open Source LED Project" to have a "formula" that we can all one day use as a base-line to build/order our lights factory direct.

Fortunately, there are now several LED grow journals going from independent growers with no conflicts of interest, and there will be more.

we'll find the truth we seek in the results of these grows.

What about companies spouting that 3 watt bulbs are weaker than 1 watt bulbs , and also stating that 120 deg is not allowing any penetration ? This has been stated by numerous companies so whats the truth !? I might as well buy one of PitVipers special lights that come with the welding glasses their so strong , his new lights require you to wear special clothing for protection ! Now thats a serious light !! And with only 2 payments of $99.95 how can you beat that !!

Fortunately, there are now several LED grow journals going from independent growers with no conflicts of interest, and there will be more.

we'll find the truth we seek in the results of these grows.

Right on dude let the grow tests begin !

Back
Top Bottom