300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

re: GrowLEDHydro 300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

You are doing an INSANE job SS!

I stumbled across your grow journal after searching "MetalArc 400w weed" from Yahoo, just to see if anyone had used this bulb for growing. I had acquired this bulb in hopes that it would work, and to my surprise you are using the exact bulb for Veg. So after reading through many pages I felt confident in following what you have lied out here, as closely as I can. I obtained 4, of what I think are, very good strains from a local shop. I got the Hempy buckets, Coco Coir and all to go with it and dove head first. I have recently Registered here and posted the first week of progress on my Closet Grow. I am still learning as I go and am having a blast! As this is my first Indoor grow, this site is exactly what I needed to find!

I thank you for taking the time and care to post and included all the info you have here. I am in AWE with this entire site and enjoy reading all the posts and the positive feedback that is so very abundant. Keep up the great work!

Can't wait to see the final outcome... :bravo:

SUN- to say the plants look fantastic is an understatement.

thank you!

The LED side is showing the potential that this technology has in store for horticultural applications. The unit you have there on test is obviously doing something right.

I know, it's even makin' me look good ;).

Seriously, though, what's really impressed me is that it's doing something right in both veg and bloom without significantly compromising one for the other.

The size and shape of the plants vegged under this LED light are near-on perfect for most personal indoor grows, IMO, and it apparently does that without significantly compromising its performance in bloom. That's pretty special, IMO.

I wouldn't want to have to buy both a "turbo bloom" panel and a "blue-light special veg" panel to achieve the same performance, whether I was a personal med grower or a larger-scale medical grower.

I do have a few comments from the quote below- you did say "Or we could discuss them here".

Absolutely, and as an expert in the field, I welcome both your comments and technical contributions.

I wasn't sure if you were still following the thread, so I'm very glad to see you are ;).

OK- I will get the venting over with early. Like '1234a5678b', I too would be interested
in seeing the spectral output of the light- I don't think we are advancing the conversation of what works and what doesn't within the community if we don't know what we are talking about, ESPECIALLY WITH LED TECHNOLOGY- but I totally respect your decision or the MFR's not to disclose.

I agree that freely communicating the details would facilitate and expedite
progress, but I'm glad you're able to see the issue from both perspectives, as that quality seems rare these days.

I'm also glad you expressed your thoughts and pushed the dialogue, because in response we got to hear some good news about patents and disclosure from GrowLEDHydro.

Again, glad to know you're still aboard, Astro ;)

This is a very nice comparison - I haven't seen an LED perform like this one... nice job Mr.Sun! :adore:

I can't wait for the ending... pretty sure it's going to be a "happy" one... ;)

thank you jedi, I appreciate your support and encouragement ;)

Propa IMO the 180w won't quite replace your 400w in a 3 meter tent, but the 360w spectra definitely will...

Absolutely the price is the issue here... If/when the 360w spectra is priced at $599 IMO the land fills will be full of 400w HID lights... Not sure when the price will come down to that point... But that's the price point I see as the tipping point for these led units in the market place...

The problem is when these lights are priced at $599.. There will be much better led lights on the market that will still cost $1,000.. It will be aprox 10 years until the tech peaks IMO...

Price is not the only issue, however.

If I live in a clime where it's too hot to grow with HID, I now have a viable alternative, especially if I'm spending hundreds of dollars for meds grown by someone else. The higher cost of the LED is piss in a bucket in that situation.

I might also be willing to pay more up front for a simpler "plug & play" system with less complicated ventilation needs.

Or, I might be someone who is willing to pay more up front if the final product is of higher quality.

I'm predicting that there's gonna be really good deals on ebay for used HID equipment in the near future ;).

Looking great SS! How much is that LED light you're using selling for right now?

Thanks again for all your work.... :peace:

thank you BlueDog!

I just checked and the Spectra 300 is listed at $999.99.

It's Thai fragrant jasmine rice, I usually toss it as it is good fungal growth media when hydrated, but, just for you [I was curious myself], I will cook up the next batch [sharksbreath, very complex aroma. ~12.14.10 chop] and give a rice report. Good excuse to wok on the wilde thai side.:yummy:

b

you may give "sticky rice" a whole new connotation, lol

Nothing wrong with play-by-play, game not over until the trimming's done.

I don't see anything wrong with a play-by-play either, but I get a little nervous when folks say they've made up their minds on what light to buy based on my comments before the comparison's over.

On the other hand, the soul-less type of reporting provided by Consumer Reports is valuable to consumers but almost worthless to enthusiasts, which I know many of us are, especially on a grow forum, so I do my best to walk that line, falling off on the enthusiastic side at times because I'm an enthusiast when it comes to growing, not just a consumer of grow gear.

Are you planning on doing a Harvest Index on these?

Is the Harvest Index what I did on that grow where I weighed each chopped plant before doing any trimming?

Be happy to do that, but please detail the specifics for me again so I don't miss something.

You once asked me about success with sativas indoors, judge only by your results. Dagga is gooooood. Mini Malawi gold is gooood.

I'm going to continue to grow other strains, but I think it's good for a grower's education to specialize in at least one strain for a while. Get to know one strain well. It really helps when comparing gear too, because you've removed one of the biggest variables.

I've pretty much decided to specialize in PPP for a spell. It clones well, it's branchy and stays short, it's relatively bug-resistant, generally robust and hardy, and the contemplative/creative/energetic high is just sublime.

If it yields well, which it should according to report, the deal is sealed and this lady and I will hopefully enjoy a long-term relationship ;).

Next time you squeeze a bud, scope it, look at the damage, then lick your fingers:yummy:

b

I know a few squeezes won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things, so I'll work on it ;).

Since I run 400w HID in a one meter tent, I look at your light for a fit.
The 180 should be enough, if they're that good but...
This demo grow is showing me what I ought to know, and equivalence could be enough.

Problem looks like the cost of those fancy purple lights, but what is my price?
How do I assess my time? And the cooling issue will come back around to
piss me off next summer - if I'm lucky ;)

Show us the money, Mr Sun. The heat issue is a very big one.
Equivalent harvest would be sweet, and fewer damn ducts more neat.

Wa_ay more neat :peace:

PS(edit) - I took so long to write this, the world changed as I addressed old issues. Excellent posts above, Sir!

when your lines converge and your personal planets line up, squeeze the trigger ;).

I like the 360w panel in my 32 x 32 tent. Two 180's would be fun to compare.

I was looking to pull 8oz per tent, let's see how it goes Mr. Gator.

Hey SS. Looking great so far. What would your thoughts be about one of those led lights you got there in a tent that is 7'Hx4'wx6'L. I have a mover that would cover the entire area. I also have the means to lower and raise the light. I know they have the 600 w one but that is way out of my price range. I run a 1000w hps right now but I'm interested in the Growled light for summer time.

SS the grow is going awesome the plants are beautiful on both sides. I am really happy you agreed to do this, I wouldn't want it any other way. Thanks! I would also like to thank everyone following this thread and adding to the already great information we have, thank you!

Thank you Michael!

I'm glad you're satisfied with how I'm handling this comparison and with how things are going.

Congratulations on your progress with trademark and patents! Very wise of you to protect all of your hard work in developing these lights.

From the results of Irish's last grow and a few other grows I've been following, it would appear that you have a product that others would definitely want to copy.

thanks again, I appreciate your feedback and encouragement ;)

So many mysteries, so little time
All I really want to know anymore is: Does it work well?
Oh, yeah. Give me mine!

No cool-off before restarting, less excess heat to chill.
No rattles when they're shaken, and lower electric bills.
They seem at first to cost a lot, but few good things are free.
We're shown increased production, high tech is simplicity

how's that old saying go?

"you don't need to be an electrician to know how to flip a light switch and turn the lights on"

I love technology, but the mystery of the bigger picture is all-encompassing and far more engrossing, IMO ;)

You are doing an INSANE job SS!

I stumbled across your grow journal after searching "MetalArc 400w weed" from Yahoo, just to see if anyone had used this bulb for growing. I had acquired this bulb in hopes that it would work, and to my surprise you are using the exact bulb for Veg. So after reading through many pages I felt confident in following what you have lied out here, as closely as I can. I obtained 4, of what I think are, very good strains from a local shop. I got the Hempy buckets, Coco Coir and all to go with it and dove head first. I have recently Registered here and posted the first week of progress on my Closet Grow. I am still learning as I go and am having a blast! As this is my first Indoor grow, this site is exactly what I needed to find!

I thank you for taking the time and care to post and included all the info you have here. I am in AWE with this entire site and enjoy reading all the posts and the positive feedback that is so very abundant. Keep up the great work!

Can't wait to see the final outcome... :bravo:

Nice to meet you Nine Leafer, and I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write such a warm and supportive post ;).

I'm pretty handy with search engines also, so your "MetalArc 400w weed" search made me smile ;). I'm glad it led you to this journal.

Best wishes on your first grow!

regards,

Setting Sun

Hey SS. Looking great so far. What would your thoughts be about one of those led lights you got there in a tent that is 7'Hx4'wx6'L. I have a mover that would cover the entire area. I also have the means to lower and raise the light. I know they have the 600 w one but that is way out of my price range. I run a 1000w hps right now but I'm interested in the Growled light for summer time.

I have zero experience with light movers, so maybe someone else could chime in with how well they think your proposed setup would work.

Light movers make a lot of sense, but I haven't had a grow space yet that would significantly benefit from one, yet ;).

Thanks for the feedback Jedi.

I gotta question about light movers.

Let's use molotov's 4 X 6 tent as an example. What would the difference in yield be, approximately, between using a light mover with a single 300w light versus two stationary 300w lights?

Thanks for the feedback Jedi.

I gotta question about light movers.

Let's use molotov's 4 X 6 tent as an example. What would the difference in yield be, approximately, between using a light mover with a single 300w light versus two stationary 300w lights?

I'd love to hear input on this one. Thanks SS. If I get enough yeahs I will certainly be purchasing one and maybe even starting a journal on the next go around. I would let the mover go without pausing at either end. I think this would keep all the girls in the spectrum most of the time. It takes the light about 30 to 40 seconds to go from one end to the other. With the hps there is about a 10 second time in which you can clearly see lack of light on the girls at the opposite end. It's kind of like a cloud going overhead.

Just a quick no-pic update before I get back to my to-do list ;).

All the plants are doing great and packing it on.

I appeased my need to supplement them with something by adding some Maxicrop liquid seaweed on the last watering.

The ladies responded very well to it, and it doesn't affect the NPK significantly, so I can still evaluate how the CRF's work without any bloom supplements.

It's good at any stage of a grow, but it's inky and tends to stain things, so there's that, but I love the stuff.

Besides, coconuts and seaweed just *have* to get along well ;).

Speaking of coco, it's working very well. I'm now using a 1/4hp utility pump and nice long spray wand to water my plants. Setting the spray head to "shower", I get exactly the kind of stream I want, and my buckets are being watered significantly more effectively than before when I was simply using a watering can.

The top-dressed OC+ that I worked as deeply as I could into the coco is now also under a nice thick layer of hydroton, which I'm sure is helping the OC+ release nutes more consistently. Watering with the new pump and wand also creates a lot more flow over the prills, which also helps deliver nutes to the roots.

I've had the utility pump and wand for months, but I never set it up because I thought that the pump might burn out pumping against a closed valve on the wand, but using a power strip to turn the flow on and off when I go from one tent to the other works great (thanks Irish) ;).

The Maxicrop was given at half the recommended label strength, so I gave them 1 capful per gallon. I believe a capful was 2.5 Tbsp last time I checked.

Things are going very well. I'll take some pics asap.

:thanks:

Just a quick no-pic update before I get back to my to-do list ;).

All the plants are doing great and packing it on.

I appeased my need to supplement them with something by adding some Maxicrop liquid seaweed on the last watering.

The ladies responded very well to it, and it doesn't affect the NPK significantly, so I can still evaluate how the CRF's work without any bloom supplements.

It's good at any stage of a grow, but it's inky and tends to stain things, so there's that, but I love the stuff.

Besides, coconuts and seaweed just *have* to get along well ;).

Speaking of coco, it's working very well. I'm now using a 1/4hp utility pump and nice long spray wand to water my plants. Setting the spray head to "shower", I get exactly the kind of stream I want, and my buckets are being watered significantly more effectively than before when I was simply using a watering can.

The top-dressed OC+ that I worked as deeply as I could into the coco is now also under a nice thick layer of hydroton, which I'm sure is helping the OC+ release nutes more consistently. Watering with the new pump and wand also creates a lot more flow over the prills, which also helps deliver nutes to the roots.

I've had the utility pump and wand for months, but I never set it up because I thought that the pump might burn out pumping against a closed valve on the wand, but using a power strip to turn the flow on and off when I go from one tent to the other works great (thanks Irish) ;).

The Maxicrop was given at half the recommended label strength, so I gave them 1 capful per gallon. I believe a capful was 2.5 Tbsp last time I checked.

Things are going very well. I'll take some pics asap.

:thanks:

:thumb:

Well heck, I was about to buy a 600WHPS (still researching on the cool tube vs cool hood) after seeing all of the bad LEDs for sale and too much $ for T5 equivs when the 4' doesn't fit in 3.5' tent. The LEDs here look totally awesome... until I looked at the price on the website. :-( I hope in another year or 2 the prices come down! I caved in and bought a grow tent (3'11"x3'11"x6.5) which cost a fortune (to retired disability income) since I just want to grow for me, plus some veggies and herbs. I guess the 600W and a window AC until to fight the heat in CA. Bummer.

I'll be watching this thread as long as I am still trying to grow (vs kill) MJ! Your entire set up details are extremely helpful!! TY!! If growing MJ was my business, I think the LED (setting Sun looks like the best quality about!) would be a great investment. Buying cheaper cost and made LEDs seems pointless, get what ya pay for. (good to know)

I wanted to add that I have tried those little gel packs like you have for the cones. I've tried them on all sorts of plants, but they usually just fry up before roots come in. The gel in the containers works great if I dip a clone in it and put it in soil. LOL The local store stopped carrying these because most were returned. Looking forward to seeing how an experienced grower fares with them. :)

TY for your test and good luck with those beauties you have. It's really something to see this LED company step forward and supply the lights for this test. That says a lot right there!

GL :thanks:

Lusi

High Lusi!

:welcome: ;)

Well heck, I was about to buy a 600WHPS (still researching on the cool tube vs cool hood) after seeing all of the bad LEDs for sale and too much $ for T5 equivs when the 4' doesn't fit in 3.5' tent. The LEDs here look totally awesome... until I looked at the price on the website. :-( I hope in another year or 2 the prices come down! I caved in and bought a grow tent (3'11"x3'11"x6.5) which cost a fortune (to retired disability income) since I just want to grow for me, plus some veggies and herbs. I guess the 600W and a window AC until to fight the heat in CA. Bummer.

LED's won't be going away anytime soon, so you could set up a more affordable system now, and then look at LED's in a year or two and see where things are at.

If you're in a toasty part of CA, however, a 600w HPS could be hard to manage.

I'll be watching this thread as long as I am still trying to grow (vs kill) MJ! Your entire set up details are extremely helpful!! TY!! If growing MJ was my business, I think the LED (setting Sun looks like the best quality about!) would be a great investment. Buying cheaper cost and made LEDs seems pointless, get what ya pay for. (good to know)

thank you for the kind words ;). I'm glad you've found this thread helpful.

You definitely want to do your homework before buying an LED light. They vary a lot in quality and in how well they work to grow MJ.

I like to look at grows done by independent growers to see what works and what doesn't.

I wanted to add that I have tried those little gel packs like you have for the cones. I've tried them on all sorts of plants, but they usually just fry up before roots come in. The gel in the containers works great if I dip a clone in it and put it in soil. LOL The local store stopped carrying these because most were returned. Looking forward to seeing how an experienced grower fares with them. :)

I tried four different cloning methods in this journal, and the only one that didn't work was those clear jello cups ;).

The cloning methods that work for me are Rapid Rooter plugs under a dome, a DIY bubbler, or just simply sticking the cuttings directly in soil or coco in small pots.

TY for your test and good luck with those beauties you have. It's really something to see this LED company step forward and supply the lights for this test. That says a lot right there!

GL :thanks:

Lusi

you're welcome, thanks for subscribing ;)

Back
Top Bottom