300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

re: GrowLEDHydro 300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

45 DAYS FLOWERING

I took a lot of pics tonight, but I'm going to split them up into two posts. This is the first set, and I'll post the second set tomorrow.

I was still able to take the ladies out without damage, and these two were about the closest match size-wise.

IMG_7829.JPG

IMG_7831.JPG

IMG_7830.JPG

IMG_7832.JPG

IMG_7834.JPG

IMG_78331.JPG

IMG_7836.JPG

IMG_7835.JPG

IMG_78371.JPG

IMG_78391.JPG

IMG_7844.JPG

IMG_7847.JPG

IMG_7846.JPG

IMG_7848.JPG

IMG_7850.JPG

IMG_7849.JPG

IMG_78531.JPG

IMG_7852.JPG

IMG_78571.JPG

IMG_78581.JPG

They're swelling up and smelling great!

I squeezed a couple more buds tonight, and again, the LED bud was fatter and more solid. I think you can get a sense of that from the pics.

To brace the branches, I simply used a single wrap of plant tape around the entire plant. It's working well for now. I didn't cinch it up tight, just enough to provide support.

Both sets of plants are looking real nice, but the LED buds are again looking nicer to me.

Since the last watering with the seaweed extract, all the plants are looking better than ever health-wise, and continuing to pack it on.

They should be looking really good in about a week :ganjamon:

I'll post some bud shots tomorrow ;).

:thanks:

45 DAYS FLOWERING
IMG_7852.JPG

wow bro the Led is making the HPS look bad. it just keeps pulling ahead more and more each set of pics. dont get me wrong both sets of plants look great, but i would pick the led plants any day.

these plants right here look straight killer. very very sexy looking.

you just gave me a idea, not too sure why i never picked it up from ur grows before, but plant tape is the way to go when LSTing my plants, the string always digs into the stems latter on down the road. another idea i am stilling from you:bravo:

to be honest i didn't expect the leds to do thins much better, nice to know on all my led grow with this light i would be doing better then with HID.lol

great job bro, i love the pics. its a win win deal all the plants look good.

what seaweed product u using? seems to make them healthier? i like the sound of that.

An unexpected pictorial update! The Led plant does still look the best but they look so close that this competition is going to be coming down to the smoke report.

Once again, thanks for doing this.

Awesome. Those are money shot photos. LED looks more substantial. I can't wait for the chop.

I got a bitch to pitch: why do you call your Spectra LED 300 a 360?
Granted, light power comparisons are like apples v oranges but...
HIDs have parasitic power supplies too, but we still call them their bulb wattage size.
Spectra 300 is not twice the size of a 180, just twice the price.
And what's up with the funny math on their website?
Having no thermal footprint and putting out 300w at a minuscule 2.4 amps on 110 volts
E=IR and P=EI. E=volts, I=amperes, R=ohms, P=watts
Just because US primary education has become a pathetic world-stage laughing stock doesn't change the physics that I learned many moons ago.

The 180 ad copy is no better:
this 110 volt dynamo draws a mere 0.65 to 1.25 amps yet delivers 180 watts of light and works
What's that, 137.5w? The big one draws 264w. Am I confused, or insulted?

Maybe I got out the wrong side of bed, and fell on my head :hmmmm:

i agree they all kinda look like twins, but you have to look deep, see that the leds are more filled in less gaps then the HID look at the middle bottom growth, you can see by the less bud gaps and formation their more dense. have far a structure i think their real close but as bud wise i dont, just look hard and look deep into the buds.

wow bro the Led is making the HPS look bad. it just keeps pulling ahead more and more each set of pics. dont get me wrong both sets of plants look great, but i would pick the led plants any day.

these plants right here look straight killer. very very sexy looking.

thanks bro!

you just gave me a idea, not too sure why i never picked it up from ur grows before, but plant tape is the way to go when LSTing my plants, the string always digs into the stems latter on down the road. another idea i am stilling from you:bravo:

The tape is gentler and works real well. It can dry out and break towards the end of a grow, so it's good to check it for that, but in general it works better than anything else I've tried.

to be honest i didn't expect the leds to do thins much better, nice to know on all my led grow with this light i would be doing better then with HID.lol

great job bro, i love the pics. its a win win deal all the plants look good.

They're all looking real good, but the scale and smoke report will show us whattup ;)

what seaweed product u using? seems to make them healthier? i like the sound of that.

I've been using Maxicrop liquid seaweed, but I think I'm going to get some of the powdered stuff because it's cheaper and I'm going to be using it on pretty much every grow. My plants look happier and healthier when I use it.

thanks again bro!

Great pics SS! They all look great but I agree the LED's look to have the lead.

An unexpected pictorial update! The Led plant does still look the best but they look so close that this competition is going to be coming down to the smoke report.

Once again, thanks for doing this.

Awesome. Those are money shot photos. LED looks more substantial. I can't wait for the chop.

man they both look amazing,there kinda looking the same,like twins...but they both are gorgeous plants,nice job

I really had no idea which light would do better when I started, but I didn't expect things to be as close as they are this far along in the grow.

The recommended HID lighting for my DR80 tents is 250w. I did a lot of reading and research on growers running a 400w HID in them, and it's not easy to manage the heat, so I was thrilled when I got things under control with the new exhaust fan.

Let me tell you, that 400w HID is *BRIGHT* in that tent. To see the LED light keeping up with it, and seemingly even surpassing it at this point, impresses the hell out of me.

These two lights are really different though, so the groups may be maturing on somewhat different time-lines.

Trich checks at this point don't show that, with trichs looking the same on both groups, but it ain't over yet.

thanks guys! ;)

These two lights are really different though, so the groups may be maturing on somewhat different time-lines.

Trich checks at this point don't show that, with trichs looking the same on both groups, but it ain't over yet.

thanks guys! ;)

i was going to ask you about that, ive been looking and taking bud pics for a long time so ive kinda learned how to look at buds/plants and really focus of the formation if you get it right then you can tell most times in pics if their filled in dense ect...

from looking deep into the leds pics it looks to me that their growing at a different stage and are making more buds sooner. is this true? seems i can see more clusters in those buds.

Bottom line is THAT SHIT HAPPENS AND WE DONT KNOW WHATS WHAT UNTIL THE GROW IS DONE.. but at this point in time its looks as the LED ganging more ground and fast. but like i said i am not just looking at the whole plant i am looking deep into the buds and the formation and details their giving off.

maybe a video some time will show us the real story so we can get that 3D effect. ;)

I've been using Maxicrop liquid seaweed, but I think I'm going to get some of the powdered stuff because it's cheaper and I'm going to be using it on pretty much every grow. My plants look happier and healthier when I use it.

thanks again bro!
whats the brand name of the powder stuff? i love the powder stuff, but of course not in that way:rofl: i mean as plant food goes!!!

what about this GH Bio weed?

Bio Weed® is derived from a blend of cold processed seaweeds that act as a plant and soil vitality enhancer.

Seaweeds have long been recognized as stress reducing agents and powerful plant boosters. Bio Weed encourages prolific root and foliage growth as well as larger flowers and fruits.

Bio Weed® works synergistically with all fertilizers to promote vigorous, healthy growth. Use with any garden soil, potting mix, or other growing media.

Bio Weed® Cold Processed Seaweed has a minimum guaranteed NPK analysis of 0.2-0-0.3 and is derived from: 100% sea kelp derived from Ascophyllum nodosum (cold processed).

I got a bitch to pitch: why do you call your Spectra LED 300 a 360?
Granted, light power comparisons are like apples v oranges but...
HIDs have parasitic power supplies too, but we still call them their bulb wattage size.
Spectra 300 is not twice the size of a 180, just twice the price.
And what's up with the funny math on their website?

E=IR and P=EI. E=volts, I=amperes, R=ohms, P=watts
Just because US primary education has become a pathetic world-stage laughing stock doesn't change the physics that I learned many moons ago.

The 180 ad copy is no better:

What's that, 137.5w? The big one draws 264w. Am I confused, or insulted?

Maybe I got out the wrong side of bed, and fell on my head :hmmmm:

well, maybe you did, but those are valid bitches ;)

As far as I know, the "180" Spectra draws 240w, and the "300" Spectra draws 360w.

As far as why I call the Spectra 300 a 360, it's because folks call it both things, and so I sort of switch back and forth. No other good reason.

I agree though, that if I call the Spectra a 360, then I should call the HPS a 428.

BTW, I need to recheck my Lumatek 400w ballast with my more accurate Killawatt meter. I'll do that and report back.

In the meantime, ima keep my distance ;).

Wow! What do the rocks on top do?

Thanks
NCDude

High NCDude!

The rocks on top do lots of good things:

They increase the available root space by keeping all of the coco moist and dark enough to allow the roots to grow upwards and fill that space in. It's a nice thick layer of hydroton, so the roots may even be able to extend up into the pebbles.

They reduce evaporation so I don't have to water as often.

They protect the main stem from getting stem rot.

I top-dressed the buckets with OC+ a few weeks ago to fix some deficiencies, so the hydroton keeps the media where the prills at a more consistent temperature and moisture level, and that provides more consistent and better nute release.

I like to use a fairly vigorous spray of water when I water so that the water gets oxygenated well, and the hydroton helps keep the media from getting blasted out of the container.

and last and most certainly least, I think they look nice, certainly nicer than a wookie ;)

High NCDude!

The rocks on top do lots of good things:

They increase the available root space by keeping all of the coco moist and dark enough to allow the roots to grow upwards and fill that space in. It's a nice thick layer of hydroton, so the roots may even be able to extend up into the pebbles.

They reduce evaporation so I don't have to water as often.

They protect the main stem from getting stem rot.

I top-dressed the buckets with OC+ a few weeks ago to fix some deficiencies, so the hydroton keeps the media where the prills at a more consistent temperature and moisture level, and that provides more consistent and better nute release.

I like to use a fairly vigorous spray of water when I water so that the water gets oxygenated well, and the hydroton helps keep the media from getting blasted out of the container.

and last and most certainly least, I think they look nice, certainly nicer than a wookie ;)

ummm i like those resons:thanks: did you wash them before putting them on top?

Back
Top Bottom