300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

re: GrowLEDHydro 300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

Thank you dogsnova. 12x22=264 (I didn't see any empty spots)
MY assumption aprox 380w draw, 40w for transformer & fans = aprox 340w lights. So the split would be 226 1w & 38 3w thats 17% 3w, there are several assumptions here and alot of tech stuff that is beyond my knowledge, but I'm pretty sure this isn't a full fledged 3w panel. I hope Mike can get his legal shit figured out and be able to do some full disclosure. This is one of the best results I've seen under LED and I'd like to know the baseline to compare to the next advance in LED technology.

Correction from my previous post my panel has 229 diodes not 168 and that changes my 3w % to 20

I jumped in late on this conversation, Im not sure whats you guys are asking but to clear things up from what I think is going on is this:

All of my panels are 3w/3 chip led's but I dont power the led's to their full power. Each led received around anywhere between 1.7w and 1.3w depending on the wavelength.

The reason I do not power my led's to a full three watts is because then the panels will give of a lot more heat which would lead to the chips not lasting as long and the 360w panel would be over 1000w.

Their are a few more reasons on why i choose not to fully power the led's but I cant really disclose those right now. Also every batch of Spectra LED 300's that I have received from my manufacturer in the past few months have been running around 380w of power, so thats the actual power draw.

As always awesome job SS!!! :thumb:

DAY 48 FLOWERING

IMG_79182.JPG

THE HID PLANTS

IMG_7953.JPG

IMG_7954.JPG

IMG_7956.JPG

IMG_7955.JPG

IMG_7958.JPG

IMG_7959.JPG

IMG_7961.JPG

IMG_7960.JPG

IMG_7963.JPG

IMG_79621.JPG

IMG_7964.JPG

IMG_7967.JPG

IMG_7965.JPG

IMG_7968.JPG

IMG_7972.JPG

IMG_7969.JPG

IMG_7979.JPG

IMG_7977.JPG

IMG_7976.JPG

IMG_7974.JPG

IMG_7973.JPG

THE LED PLANTS

IMG_7919.JPG

IMG_79201.JPG

IMG_7922.JPG

IMG_7921.JPG

IMG_7924.JPG

IMG_7926.JPG

IMG_7925.JPG

IMG_7928.JPG

IMG_7927.JPG

IMG_7931.JPG

IMG_79361.JPG

IMG_79341.JPG

IMG_7938.JPG

IMG_79371.JPG

IMG_7939.JPG

IMG_79411.JPG

IMG_79401.JPG

IMG_7942.JPG

IMG_7944.JPG

IMG_7949.JPG

IMG_7950.JPG

IMG_7945.JPG

Things are looking good going into late bloom. The foliage is still looking nice and green. The CRF nutes have performed brilliantly. After some initial problems that were my fault due to lack of proper prep, the coco has also performed brilliantly.

What can you say about Hempy buckets? They're simple as a box of rocks and they split the difference between soil and hydro. I think it's a great method for both beginning and experienced growers. Some growers are now trying soil in hempies, so soil growers may not be excluded.

Both lights are as optimized as I can get them at 14" off the main colas, which I've positioned out towards the corners to even out the intensity and prevent bleaching. Averaging canopy heights by eyeball, the lights are about 17-18" away.

I looked for differences in calyx/leaf ratio on the buds and tried to demonstrate it with some of the pics above. It looks to me, that currently, the LED buds appear a little less leafy than the HID buds. It's a subtle difference, and you really need to look at all the plants in both tents to appreciate it well, but that's what I'm seeing right now.

As far as bud leaf thickness, all of the foliage on the LED plants is somewhat thicker, including the sugar leaves.

IMG_7981.JPG

This is the power draw for my Lumatek 400w digital ballast running a Ushio HPS bulb.

The Spectra 300 draws around 360w.

As Irish mentioned, it may be a lot easier to appreciate things in a video, so that's what I'll do for the next update.

I'd like to request that if you quote this post in a reply, please select and delete all the pics unless you're including a pic or two as part of your reply. I'm posting so many pics, that otherwise, it just fills up pages and makes things very slow to load.

thank you for your cooperation ;)

and as always,

:thanks: for following!

That's mostly the camera balancing, but with the plants outside the tent with equal lighting, the LED plants actually do look a little darker green than the HID plants.

Both sets of plants have nice green healthy foliage, but the LED foliage is darker and lusher.

Looking great SS. They already have a nice layer of powder on them, i cant wait to see these girls at the end. :goodjob:

I noticed you upgraded the HPS tent to a suncourt fan. I like yourself have to pull the air through a hood then plenty of ducting then a carbon soc! So im looking for a fan thats got alot more grunt than the current inline im using. The guy at my local cant get me a suncourt but he has some called Canfan that he said are fantastic. Have you or anyone heard of these at all?

The Suncourt fan SS has is the same thing as the Sunleaves wind tunnel fan... Ask your hydro store about Sunleaves inline fans.. If they can't get you one look online and you should be able to find both the Suncourt and Sunleaves inline fans..

Can fans are just about the same thing.... BUT they pull more watts and push just a little less CFM's then the Suncourt/Sunleaves fans...

Just make sure you look at the wattage draw and the CFM rating on the fan you want to buy.. Then do a little Goggle price comparing...:Rasta:

Looking great SS. They already have a nice layer of powder on them, i cant wait to see these girls at the end. :goodjob:

I noticed you upgraded the HPS tent to a suncourt fan. I like yourself have to pull the air through a hood then plenty of ducting then a carbon soc! So im looking for a fan thats got alot more grunt than the current inline im using. The guy at my local cant get me a suncourt but he has some called Canfan that he said are fantastic. Have you or anyone heard of these at all?
yup and sun-court would be ur better option. its strong quiet and uses very lower power. and cheaper. i got mine for $100 shipped. i love it.
The Suncourt fan SS has is the same thing as the Sunleaves wind tunnel fan... Ask your hydro store about Sunleaves inline fans.. If they can't get you one look online and you should be able to find both the Suncourt and Sunleaves inline fans..

Can fans are just about the same thing.... BUT they pull more watts and push just a little less CFM's then the Suncourt/Sunleaves fans...

Just make sure you look at the wattage draw and the CFM rating on the fan you want to buy.. Then do a little Goggle price comparing...:Rasta:
yup same thing but SunCourt is allot cheaper on the price tag. and most dont come with a cord, i just went to the store and bought a 3 wire cord hood it up in about a few min and was done. i was about to buy a sunleave fan them came across the Sun Court and pulled the trigger

Nice grow

Awesome !getting some great info off this grow Thanks for sharing . They all are looking to be doing just excellent ! +rep

Man they are really starting to put it on now. Exceptional specimens my man!

Great pics,its back and forth with these two! Lol....

Beautiful pics SS! I'd take either grow :)

Very Cool Indeed!:goodjob:

Thanks for your support and encouragement!

it's like batteries to an energizer bunny.

;)

I & I and IB thank you Sir! I'm at day 42 today and no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to catch you, I'm still 6 daze b-hind:hookah:

you need a time-stretcher.

best gadget ever ;).

After I saw your attack hound, I went out and got my own guardawg.
Blondie.jpg

b:yummy:

she looks very happy with her new home and daddy ;).

the gargens are just looking perfect. seems like the 4 plants was a good match for ur tent. how do you feeling about that? do u think 3 would be better or 4 is perfect? i love this grow, very entertaining.

With lights that have the coverage and intensity that these two have, I think having 4 plants towards the corners and the 9" fan blowing straight up at the light a really good setup for hempy buckets or soil/soilless grows in pots.

Without that ventilation fan setup, I'd go with two or three plants for this style of grow.

For max yield, however, a 12/12 grow with around 16-20 plants and pruning for "bud-on-a-stick" single colas might the way to go. Would save lots of money on energy too.

thanks bro, glad you're enjoying the ride ;)

With lights that have the coverage and intensity that these two have, I think having 4 plants towards the corners and the 9" fan blowing straight up at the light a really good setup for hempy buckets or soil/soilless grows in pots.

Without that ventilation fan setup, I'd go with two or three plants for this style of grow.

For max yield, however, a 12/12 grow with around 16-20 plants and pruning for 24 "bud-on-a-stick" single colas might the way to go. Would save lots of money on energy too.

thanks bro, glad you're enjoying the ride ;)

ya i agree SOG is the way to go if plant count isn't a issue. trust me i would be all over it if i could.

good point about that fan in the center making it more possible to grow more plants.

keep up the good work bro, hope you had a good Turkey day?

In addition to all the great info you already got on the Suncourt and Sunleaves fans, which are identical, I'll add that you can also get the Suncourt with a cord if you google for "Suncourt Centrax with cord".

That will open up your buying options if you don't want to hassle wiring it yourself, which is easy, but some folks would rather not.

I love mine too.

It's louder than my S&P fans, but it's not really that the fan is louder, although it pushes twice as much air, it's that the airstream is louder, so they're essentially very quiet fans, but it's easy to make them much quieter by using insulated duct, or venting them to the attic, another room, etc.

All that and the 4" model, which is way more powerful than my S&P 4" fans only uses 40w. It also works perfectly with a speed control, while my S&P fans don't.

I'm thinking of using the 8" model to ventilate the grow room I'm going to be framing in.

Canfans are good, and so are Vortex, Elicent and others, but these Sunleaves/Suncourt fans are quieter, compatible with speed controls, move more air than most, and use significantly less power doing it.

Can't wait to get the 8" one.

and yes, I know,

that's what she said.

;)

Can't wait to get the 8" one.

and yes, I know,

that's what she said.

;)

mine already has one.lol

i was having noise issues with my SC fan so i added insulation ducting and every thing is much much quieter. lot better then my S&P fan also. the S&P fan will make a good intake fan for the SC exhaust fan though, but for the best bang on power and CFM SC all day

looking good SS. i really do enjoy ur thread. have u checked the trichs yet at all. just wondering on what u think which plant will finish first. from the pics i would say the HID would finish first but it all goes by the trichs. do u know the difference in the two with the trichs colors??
:bravo:

I'm going to be checking trichs tonight, and I should get an idea of where things are at with each group.

thank you staffy ;)

Back
Top Bottom