3rd Grow: Super Lemon Haze & Gold Leaf

Both yield and quality were the concept behind Bassman59's process. He felt his defoliation technique yielded higher quantities as well as high quality buds.

I went back today and re-read bassman59’s thread, and two points stood out:
  1. He stated that his approach is more suitable for Indica, or at least Indica-dominant strains. To me, this means it probably works better on more compact plants, with typically chunkier buds, and not as good with more lanky Sativas like SLH.
  2. He also stated that the plants should not be crowded - that you must have room to supercrop longer stems, and to spread the plant(s) out. His idea seems to be that every bud is able to get larger due to it being within a narrow zone of highest light exposure. He appeared to be more interested in growing golfball-size (and bigger) buds rather than long colas. To me, this indicates that this method is more applicable to SCROG than SOG.
In retrospect, I am now of the opinion that the bassman59 defoliation method probably isn’t the best way to increase yield with your current grow approach.
:passitleft:

Yes it's for scrog and indica's mostly he says. He says a lot of things to test. I'm really interested in your experiment. Another interesting he talks about is his theory that stripping them early induces closer node production, therefore more mini colas. By mini colas I mean anywhere from around 10 inches to 2 feet. I grew some 65% sativa and they grew very well in my eyes. Maybe you can tell I'm having a hard time letting go of the positive points of heavy defoliation. I'm about to give it another go in a few weeks with an assortment of mixed cultivars. I guess I want to get my best grow attempt before I try another method. This is fun!:p

Another interesting he talks about is his theory that stripping them early induces closer node production

Yes, this is an interesting and useful effect. As is the apparent slowdown of stretch after defoliation is performed.

Trim and Weigh in day for the Gold Leaf. 8 days of drying and little buds were snapping clean off stem so I figure it's read to put in the jars.

Goldie 1.1 Clone that was not defoliated. 47.1 Grams/1.66 oz
Goldie 1.2 Clone that was defoliated. 25 Grams/.88 oz

Well! That's impressive! Almost twice as much by not defoliating during flowering.

Just to recap. Both plants came from the same Donor that was gown from seed. They were among another 8 clones and selected because the matched each other so well. They had the same number of branches and were basically the same height. They were in veg for the same period of time and defoliated during veg several times to promote growth.

No to see what the weigh in for the SLH matching pair is like. Actually, I have two that were defoliated and one that wasn't. There is a matching clone pair from a single donor from seed in that group and one was defoliated and the other wasn't. The third was from Stella plant and it was defoliated also for reference to see how it compared to the other defoliated plant.

Very interesting results to say the least. Now comes the curing time of at least 3-4 weeks. Will sample with @FelipeBlu after Xmas.

Nice experiment and interesting results! You should keep doing these to see if it's consistent over time...for science!
You know enough about me at this point that I will be continuing some tests on matching or similar plants.

I'm considering doing a side by side with nutrients this next grow. I dropped two seeds each of a Sensi Star and my Skywalker OB from my first grow today.

My idea is to feed one of each pair the DynaGrow mix I've been using since the beginning and the other will get a MegaCrop mix that I have been using with my UK Cheese grow. They aren't clones so they may react differently, but close enough.

Sounds like an interesting test to run side by side nutes but results on side by side tests really only work with clones. Way too many genetic variations with seeds!
I can appreciate that. I might do a follow up test from this grow with clones taken from this grow also.

From another point of view I haven't quite gotten the Megacrop dialed in and experience with it's use yet either.

Sue and I smoked a joint of your SLH yesterday it was a great morning high for sure. Perfect match with coffee. It has quite an interesting smell. Sue wanted to make some brownies so we got some from a dispensary and it has the same smell (although no where near as good as yours).

Thanks for the sample sorry I was so out of it, it was the end of a long day. I had a sampler bag for you too that I forgot to give you. You’ll have to stop back by when you’re in the neighborhood.

So glad you enjoyed. Interesting comment in comparison to the dispensary buy.

I’ll perhaps be back over tomorrow morning as going to give Sue a bit of a San Diego tour midday tomorrow if she up to it.

Oh, my Bro grows some very fine herb!
:yummy:
Well, I do have a fantastic mentor and a great community of growers to research and bounce ideas off of. All else fails my backup is google.

Buds Trimmed from Stella 1.1 the clone that wasn't defoliated. Final weight is 45grams/1.59oz.

I'm going to post here the results from my 2nd grow SLH for reference.
"So the final dry weight for the Lemon Sister is as follows:
Stella at 38 grams. She was taller but only had 4 primary branches from the manifold.
Sheila at 52grams. Had 6 primary branches from manifold."

Interesting this SLH from this third grow only had 2 branches and yielded more. However in all fairness the veg cycle was much longer and this plant was much taller at the flip.

On another note, I started a pH balanced water only "Finishing" this morning on the remaining plants in the flowering tent. I also noticed a tinge of amber on a topmost bud on one of the SLH's. Might be time to move into darkness really soon.

A little update I pulled the other two SLH's from the flowering tent on Thursday morning the 6th. So total time for the SLH's in flower was 89 days with the Un-Defoliated one coming out around 82days. They are still in the dark drying tent awaiting final wet trim and cut down. Will get to that tomorrow.

The SLH that I trimmed, dried and put in a jar earlier on Wednesday is already smelling very nice. Yummy!

Wet Trimming this morning. There is a certain special beautiful aroma during this point in time. Pictures of before the trim.
Both of these plants topped out over 3feet tall. Plants were so tall I cut them each in three sections of about a foot each. Trimmed them on the stalk from the top down then cut and hung each section.
I made a mistake with which plant pair was defoliated/not defoliated. It was obviously this pair as they are both Sheila's clones 1.1 & 1.2 It's actually difficult to tell the difference at this point as to which one was trimmed at 21days. So the previous SLH that was harvested was Stella 1.1 and she is in the Jar already.

It was obvious with the Gold Leaf pair which was the heavier. Not going out on a limb to guess which is going to yield more in this moment. Tough call. These two do appear to be heavier than Stella 1.1 was. Another tough call.

Back
Top Bottom