3rd Grow: Super Lemon Haze & Gold Leaf

Looks like the non-defoliated one has more popcorn down low but the final weight will tell the tale.
Actually the small buds down low are popcorn but not larfy. Both plants have very dense buds throughout. Very different from last grow and harvest.

Okay: Wet Trim and Harvest completed. First I'm just going to say that the aroma of a fresh harvest is like no other. Be it ripe wine grapes or beautifully grown cannabis. What an intoxicating and erotic delight.

That said here are the pictures: First up Gold Leaf Gilda 1.1. She was not defoliated at all. Completely natural growth. Some like it that way.

Here's a picture of her fresh out of the tent without a pole to hold on to.
Here is the Cola top from her largest branch,
and the same branch almost it's complete length
2nd largest branch
Smallest branch

Here's Gold Leaf Gilda 1.2. She was defoliated at approximately 21 days post flip as stretch ended.
Fresh out of the tent, not near as much of a lean and droop.
Largest Bud from the longest branch
a bit longer than 18inches

So how do they measure up at this point? They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Here both sets of branches are attached to a drying rack on opposite sides. The Gilda 1.1 on the right, and Gilda 1.2 on the left. I consider the rack to actually be a good balance and as you can see it is leaning to the right significantly.
An end view of Gilda 1.2. only three (3) branches though some are as long as 18"
An end shot of Gilda 1.1 some of them were so heavy and long they had to be hung in two parts. Still only three branches but several pieces here.

At this point it's not too early to call. Gilda 1.1 was not defoliated after stretch and is significantly heavier with a lot more buds and colas. She is clearly a heavier plant at this point.

In about seven days of drying we should know the real yield for each, but I'm calling not defoliating the winner.

Great challenge and hats of to @InTheShed for spawning the idea.

I wouldn't take such a large leap normally, especially in uncharted waters, However - Over in the SLH camp the same appears to be true. Will know more when I trim away everything, but the un-defoliated one looks larger also.

Depends on your lighting but i would not ever put my plant no more than 6 to 8 " im know scholar from all my studing and gathering of info from some of the best it would depend upon light and being Veg or Flower but please e get other opinions..
Peace 420 Fam❄

Really beautiful colas - those buds look DENSE! :yummy:

Thanks, they are extremely dense and tight. Much tighter than the grow you and @DrDoob helped trim. They are easily 3-4 times bigger also. The lower individual buds are also much larger.
:yahoo:

When i mentioned about it would depend up your light & stage there is to much but just about the lights HIP tend give off more heat and being very close it can burn the tips of the plants because i understand they give off a tremendous amount of heat,wear LED,CFL doesn't this is only my personal understanding i could be woung please do further research..✌

Found you BT Not a day too soon. You grew some sweet weed there. Curious for the faceoff weight.
Yes, the final face off weight will be interesting. I really like the defoliation tech that Bassman59 prescribed and practiced. However if the weight of both non-defoliated plants in the test pairs come out substantially more I will have to review my process. In the end it's about yield and quality.

Both yield and quality were the concept behind Bassman59's process. He felt his defoliation technique yielded higher quantities as well as high quality buds. This will not be my last test with matching clones, as I refine my process. Too bad I can only grow comfortably 4 plants in my flower tent.

Yes, the final face off weight will be interesting. I really like the defoliation tech that Bassman59 prescribed and practiced. However if the weight of both non-defoliated plants in the test pairs come out substantially more I will have to review my process. In the end it's about yield and quality.

Both yield and quality were the concept behind Bassman59's process. He felt his defoliation technique yielded higher quantities as well as high quality buds. This will not be my last test with matching clones, as I refine my process. Too bad I can only grow comfortably 4 plants in my flower tent.
You're right but one thing you left out unless my memory failed (it does sometimes) The method's real purpose is for when one has low headspace to grow in? Personally if I'm growing scrog I like to strip them, especially in the high humidity months and of course when flowering. Funny I haven't grown a photo in the tent otherwise. Maybe it's time to try. Your test has me on the edge of my seat.

@stoneotter I had forgotten about the low headroom idea. Perhaps I confused that with another member who I follow with his Manifolding techniques. Both are excellent for relieving the head room issue. I'm really fortunate. I have a Gorilla Grow tent with an height extension that will give it a total of 6'7" total vertical space. Lots of room for lights and venting out. I haven't run out yet. I didn't use any manifolding and only did some very limited LST on this grow. Only topped very early on. I also put them into the flip fairly tall. So they doubled at least in size. Actually I think the SLH tripled. That's another test I would like to do with matching clones. Manifold/LST vs Natural with minor topping early on.

@stoneotter I had forgotten about the low headroom idea. Perhaps I confused that with another member who I follow with his Manifolding techniques. Both are excellent for relieving the head room issue. I'm really fortunate. I have a Gorilla Grow tent with an height extension that will give it a total of 6'7" total vertical space. Lots of room for lights and venting out. I haven't run out yet. I didn't use any manifolding and only did some very limited LST on this grow. Only topped very early on. I also put them into the flip fairly tall. So they doubled at least in size. Actually I think the SLH tripled. That's another test I would like to do with matching clones. Manifold/LST vs Natural with minor topping early on.
Life is good.

Day 80 - I moved one of the Super Lemon Haze into the quiet dark drying tent. Upon inspection this morning I found enough amber topped trichome domes to warrant the move. I will let it say in the dark for at least one maybe two days and then harvest. Certainly don't want the SLH to have much if any couch lock effect.

Current temp in the dark tent is mid 60's and humidity is 61%. Just about perfect I feel.

BTW, it was the plant that hadn't been defoliated during stretch and flower. I'm also going to take a leap here and say that it hasn't produced like either of the GL's. Final weigh in is going to be lots of fun and excitement.

Best smoke report ever!
:)
Apparently his experience with the Gold Leaf was impressive also.

It's good to get feedback as I have limited experience in evaluating the quality of cannabis.

Back
Top Bottom