400w Custom Closet Grow

StuntmanMike

I've had my journal in another thread, thought I'd just put it in the right place...

I started off with an exterior garage that was built by previous owners, and was not being used when I moved into the house. The roof is just sheet metal, and leaks like a sieve. The other roommates used to hang out there with some couches, but once it rained the couches got soaked and they abandoned it. It was unused until I got here...

I chose this corner of the garage and started building. I framed three walls, making two rooms with one being slightly wider than the other. I finished only one room, mainly because I wanted to get started growing. The other room needs only insulation, drywall and a door; I'll finish it later and use it as a flowering room. For what I'm growing now, the one room/cab is big enough and will be used from start to finish. I have a 400w MH bulb in it now, and will switch to HPS when I start flowering. I built the cabinet into the room (literally, it can't be taken out unless something is broken, either the cab or a wall), it's 3'x3'x5'. I put the light hood on top of the cabinet with a hole cut out for the light. This allows me to run the ducting outside of the cab, so that only the plants are inside. Makes for more room inside, helps reduce heat, and gives me that much more height inside. It does, however, mean that the plants have to move instead of the light. I just used some rope and pulleys to make a platform that can be easily raised and lowered. I have plans on upgrading this system later on, but right now it works great.
DSC00981_Medium_2_.JPG
DSC00991_Medium_.JPG

1015080003_Medium_.jpg
1031080003.jpg

1226111336743_Medium_1.jpg
1226280967972.jpg

I ordered some Blue Rhino seeds from Highgrade-seeds.com (White Widow and Afghani = White Rhino, mixed with Blueberry = Blue Rhino). Got a total of 14 seeds, and have gotten 100% germination from the seeds I've planted. One seed was upside-down and perished, but I currently have 4 that have grown quite well. The first two seeds germinated around 11-4, I planted some others about a week later including one bagseed. At first I was watering with water that had too high of a pH, so the plants were stunted a bit. Also, the fiber pots aren't the best for these plants. Just one of those things you've got to learn the hard way I suppose. I tried transplanting them, but when I took one out of the fiber pot there were already roots poking through I had to rip off. Looking back I should have pulled them all out of the fiber pots, but I was afraid the damage to the roots would hurt the plants even more.

1227322391486.jpg

I decided to LST the plants so as to maximize yield while keeping the plants short. Right now the plants are ~7-8 weeks old, and the tallest branches are only about 6" off the soil. I had one of my females break the main stem, a couple inches from the top. Luckily one of the lowest side branches was about as big around as the break site, and that branch has almost come all the way back around in the opposite direction to loop all the way around the pot. There are also more branches forming on the main side branches, and I'm going to let them veg until they're all as full as possible.
IMG_9962_Medium_.JPG

You can see the break on the top left of the pot, and the biggest branch goes from about mid-top, clockwise to almost the bottom left. I may top some branches to make more colas and let the smaller plants catch up.
IMG_9960_Medium_.JPG
\
IMG_9964_Medium_.JPG

IMG_9963_Medium_.JPG

You can see the green twist ties I used to LST the plants. I've found that drilling holes just above the soil line allows you to pull the plants down the best, and I constantly check them to make sure they aren't too tight. Adjustments are quite easy, and because they are more rigid than string, you have a little more control over the plants. I've pulled large fan leaves down using just a twist tie bent over the stems, which allows more light in to get those side branches (now vertical branches).

I also put the CFLs I started them under and put them on the ceiling of the cab, just to give some supplemental lighting. They're 27w daylight CFLs and I have 4 of them up (with the homemade reflectors :p )

At this point I now have 4 plants showing female preflowers. The 5th plant I'm almost positive is male, because it has not shown any preflowers at all but is growing much, much lankier than the confirmed females.

IMG_9966_Medium_.JPG

IMG_9940a.jpg

IMG_9924_Medium_.JPG

IMG_9920_Medium_.JPG

IMG_9919_Medium_.JPG

Since the top of the one plant broke, I tried to make it into a clone. I've since cut other bits from the plants attempting to clone them. Hopefully I can get at least one to keep as a mother and make more clones. I know the genetics are good at least :grinjoint:

Oh, I'm growing in Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil, I have Sugar Peak nutes and some Peruvian Seabird Guano, that's it right now.

Once these ladies get all nice and filled in and grow all the way around the pots, I'm going to flower them. They apparently take 9 weeks to flower, I was originally going to have them done around the end of Feb but since they were kinda stunted I'm thinkin more like the end of March

Beautiful garden patch! Great use of a corner of the wood shop.

Started flowering today :grinjoint:

IMG_0047_Medium_.JPG

changed the MH for the HPS, hooked up a heater to the thermostat, and set the light timer to be on from 7pm to 7am. I also replaced the rope and pulley system with a simple shelf made out of 2x4s screwed to the side walls and some OSB sitting on top of those. Much more sturdy, although much more of a hassle to raise and lower. I'll have to keep pulling the plants out, unscrewing the shelf and moving it down. Any suggestions for a more secure system that is more easily adjustable? I'm imagining the pulleys used with some kind of metal wire instead of rope, wrapped around a pole like a shower curtain rod on the top on one side sticking out the front, and some kind of crank (or power drill) to twist the wire around the rod and pull up/lower the shelf...

IMG_00064.jpg

My bubble cloner...I gotta make a new one, this one has a raised lid so I have to stuff the cuttings way down in there to get into the water. Should I put some kind of nutes in the water?

Try a root stimulator. Several companies make them such as IONIC.

Plants look great. Consider using binder clips for LSTing. This when when you transplant you can just unhook the clips and possibly rehook them to the new pot if the rim is not too far away. Nice grow.

SM, looking full and healthy, Glad to have this moved into the Grow Journal section.
Not sure how to advise or brainstorm on getting the Stability of raising the OSB platform, I think you are on the right track in the thought process and beefing it up though.
IMG_1068lokane.JPG

I am showing a pic of an early showing male for you, to get used to looking for BALLS early on. Hope this helps indentifying that other plant yet to show.

the coca-cola can reflectors are classic!!! lol

Still no definitive sign of sex on the suspected male. It's stretching like a motherfucker though...damn sativa..

The plants all look great, growing pretty rapidly. Still no smell at all though.

Here's what LST gets you...each one of those tops will be a nice juicy cola in a few weeks' time :D
1231645324349_Medium_.jpg

1231645232542_Medium_.jpg

Startin to look like a forest...
1231645313678_Medium_.jpg

1231645260533_Medium_.jpg

Some of the clones have begun to root as well...
roots12.jpg

clones17.jpg

This one shows the white tissue growth from which the roots will grow, as seen above. At first I thought it was fungus or something, I likely threw at least one out because I saw this white stuff on the stem. Oh well, I was shooting for at least one to root so I can take more clones from it anyways. If more root, then I have the next harvest started already :D

do you have any nutrients in those rockwool cubes?
perferrably nitrogen for the roots

im using some thrivealive (1-1-1) and the flowering nutes (2-4-5) in small amounts. i soaked the rockwool in it (with pH adjusted water ~5.5), and i also spray them with the mixture to keep them moist.

How long should the humidity dome stay over them?

I pulled the one that started looking like a male, the plants needed more room anyways because they're so damn bushy. The females are starting to grow a bunch of pistils and look awesome. So many colas!!

Anyone think they can guess how much I'll end up with, assuming they grow 2-3 times what they were while vegging? The site from where I bought the seeds claims 2.5-3oz/plant but that's with 1000w bulbs, and grown normally. I have 400w and LST...

Back
Top Bottom